KHOU's Report On Downtown

ricco67

KHOU ran a report stating how downtown's hope for a revitalization was disappointing.

During the teaser for the report, they seemed to make it a point to show the MetroRail and it seemed they they were trying to allude to the fact that the rail didn't live up to it's expectations for Downtown to be a residential and party mecca.

While the actual story was about how downtown seems to languish in a lack of customers and for the "remaining" businesses. It seemed quite unfair and it struck me as incredibly terrible reporting that was only telling half of the truth, and the truth that it was reporting was quite overblown.

It had only made a hint of the HP or the Finger's building.

Did anyone else watch this report?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KHOU ran a report stating how downtown's hope for a revitalization was disappointing.

During the teaser for the report, they seemed to make it a point to show the MetroRail and it seemed they they were trying to allude to the fact that the rail didn't live up to it's expectations for Downtown to be a residential and party mecca.

While the actual story was about how downtown seems to languish in a lack of customers and for the "remaining" businesses. It seemed quite unfair and it struck me as incredibly terrible reporting that was only telling half of the truth, and the truth that it was reporting was quite overblown.

As of now, revitalization has been disappointing IMO. I count HCC's garage (main/elgin with retail on first floor) as the only "new" transit oriented construction that isn't tied to the light rail. Med Center buildings and UH expansion would have been built regardless.

As of now, revitalization has been disappointing IMO. I count HCC's garage (main/elgin with retail on first floor) as the only "new" transit oriented construction that isn't tied to the light rail. Med Center buildings and UH expansion would have been built regardless.

I agree, there are some other things that I wish would take place, like the camden apartments. But I think as the land becomes more expensive, it'll all take care of itself in due time.

I just wish there was some parking a block or so away from the stops that commuters could use to complete their trips to various areas.

I agree, there are some other things that I wish would take place, like the camden apartments. But I think as the land becomes more expensive, it'll all take care of itself in due time.

I just wish there was some parking a block or so away from the stops that commuters could use to complete their trips to various areas.

There is a set of free parking near the Smith Lands station.

I agree. Downtown is a major disappointment. while we're at it, Midtown is dragging its feet and seems to be headed down the same road of lots of bars and very little substance. Prices are too high, too. Look for a townhouse or condo in either Downtown or Midtown and anything under $300,000 is crap. If there were a shortage of available places and people were scrambling for places here, it would be one thing. But these overpriced lofts and townhouses are sitting on the market for months. Most look like they should realistically be in the $220,000-$250,000 range, but are priced in the $330,000s. Ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is the lack of any kind of infrastructure. The area around Toyota Center is especially terrible, with lots overgrown with weeds and one-way streets that have been rendered useless by poor planning that allowed them to be closed off and redirected thoughout the entire east side of Downtown. From Minute Maid down to the Toyota Center, there's virtually no East-West or even North-South flow of traffic or people. Thus, no retail. The park will help bring some people, but the flow is ruined for good. It's as big a wall as the Pierce Elevated is to Midtown...maybe bigger.

There has to be a way for middle income people who want to truly invest in the neighborhood to live here -- not just people looking to live out a 2-3 year SoHo fantasy and move away. Or, maybe we need to face the facts. If you can't find more than 10,000 or so people who love Downtown living in a metro of over 5,000,000, maybe that kind of lifestyle isn't made for us.

Cypress will add over 100,000 new residents over the next seven years. It sure does look like that's the kind of lifestyle Houstonians like.

I agree with you to a point.

I believe that the townhomes that are offered are overpriced for what they offer, but I believe if you make a midrise that is more reasonably priced, perhaps in the 100-200k range, then that would allow more people to move in and would give a sense of life to the areas. It would only be after the housing market is tighter. Downtown won't be as desirable to those that want the whole white picket fence with a dog in the backyard fantasy that some people have, but more for those that are more practical and simplistic in their lives.

Houston just sucks, their isn't any projects going on or the population is falling like a rock. Everyone just wants to move to Cypress or Katy. Downtown and Midtown doesn't have an area like the established uptown district to compete with. Beautiful buildings and shopping and entertainment, it is like a second downtown. Downtown and Midtown hasn't had to completely reestablish an indenity from scratch. Why are their building and selling thousands of townhomes and condos DT and MT? It takes time to revitalize an area. More then the decade when it has started here. Seriously things are consistently moving forward. I see and experience it daily in my life. Cypress is getting 100,000 new residence because families from around the world are moving here and they rather have a yard and a huge house then live in an apartment building. Plus the established homes in the city are three times as much. I don't get it myself but people want a huge house with a huge electric bill and travel 2 hours a day in rush hour. Why not buy a smaller house in an establised area in town, have the extra time with your family and exspose them to museums, parks, and art instead of a parking lot and Walmart. I,ve already started my SuperBowl booze, I'm probally way off topic...

Houston is not disappointing the way so of you act. I never read such pesimistic post on any forum... Also I think some people think not much is going on because we look for it everyday. A project or announcement is not going to happen everyday. You only think about other cities when here of a project announcement.

I've been working with some investors from CA and they tell how Houston is very exciting and hot market in many areas... They compare it to what L.A. was in the 50's. The next decade is a very good times for the city.

I agree with you to a point.

I believe that the townhomes that are offered are overpriced for what they offer, but I believe if you make a midrise that is more reasonably priced, perhaps in the 100-200k range, then that would allow more people to move in and would give a sense of life to the areas. It would only be after the housing market is tighter. Downtown won't be as desirable to those that want the whole white picket fence with a dog in the backyard fantasy that some people have, but more for those that are more practical and simplistic in their lives.

To build a product like that you are looking at either surface uncovered parking on cheap cheap land or parking first floor building above more expensive land. My guess is a 800 s foot condo would avg about $120 for the surface parking condo and $150-160K for the parking below?

maybe something along those lines, why not?

The point is to get as many people to live in an area and then perhaps have a higher priced going on in the upper levels or right nearby.

You need a good mix of people in the economical food chain for any community to survive and that will bring more modest retail/bars in the area.

I,ve already started my SuperBowl booze, I'm probally way off topic...

Houston is not disappointing the way so of you act. I never read such pesimistic post on any forum... Also I think some people think not much is going on because we look for it everyday. A project or announcement is not going to happen everyday. You only think about other cities when here of a project announcement.

I've been working with some investors from CA and they tell how Houston is very exciting and hot market in many areas... They compare it to what L.A. was in the 50's. The next decade is a very good times for the city.

I agree, it takes time. projects don't happen everyday, but IMO they aren't happening at all because of rail.. midtown revitalization started before rail. Investors in CA love it cause they aren't as restricted here and therefore make the most money.

you have to pay at this station to park.

No, you are talking about the Fannin South Park and Ride.

I am talking about an area adjacent to two apartment complexes within walking distance of the Smith Lands Station. Parking is absolutely free, but spaces are in short supply.

No, you are talking about the Fannin South Park and Ride.

I am talking about an area adjacent to two apartment complexes within walking distance of the Smith Lands Station. Parking is absolutely free, but spaces are in short supply.

my bad. i saw two words and my mind thought fannin south. are you talking parking in the medical center lot or on the street across the lot? I think ricco was referring to an actual designated lot. At several of them you can park nearby but at night you don't feel safe walking back.

my bad. i saw two words and my mind thought fannin south. are you talking parking in the medical center lot or on the street across the lot? I think ricco was referring to an actual designated lot. At several of them you can park nearby but at night you don't feel safe walking back.

Exactly, I think it would be quite feasible to have parking garage for a buck or even free, with first floor retail. The first floor retail would serve as additional income to Metro and subsidize the parking garage.

The smith lands parking lots need a LITTLE relief due to how crowded it gets, I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they will simply close off part of that lot to build a multi story garage.

The smith lands parking lots need a LITTLE relief due to how crowded it gets, I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they will simply close off part of that lot to build a multi story garage.

If the TMC continues to expand as it is at present, they'll have little choice other than to do exactly that.

To achieve success in downtown the City of Houston needs to define what type of downtown it wants. I don't think I've ever heard one vision consistently communicated; just a bunch of mini-visions.

Houston is used to Houston taking care of itself. Things just developed naturally. This is one case where the city needs to be more involved to help grow it.

Same goes with Midtown.

What they both need is something that you can't find somewhere else. Something unique.

That

Exactly, I think it would be quite feasible to have parking garage for a buck or even free, with first floor retail. The first floor retail would serve as additional income to Metro and subsidize the parking garage.

it gets, I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they will simply close off part of that lot to build a multi story garage.

kinda of like like the HCC garage at main and elgin which has retail on the first floor.

This is kind of funny, but I was just informed of a 5-star hotel and 'other uses' being proposed for a full block on the northwest part of downtown. The owner of the site has been wanting to do this for years (and has absolutely nothing to do with downtown revitalization or light rail, by the way) and seems really eager to push ahead while the Houston market is hot.

I've said to much... :ph34r:

This is kind of funny, but I was just informed of a 5-star hotel and 'other uses' being proposed for a full block on the northwest part of downtown. The owner of the site has been wanting to do this for years (and has absolutely nothing to do with downtown revitalization or light rail, by the way) and seems really eager to push ahead while the Houston market is hot.

I've said to much... :ph34r:

Northwest part of town, eh?

Don't know where that could happen off hand unless they plan on a major purchase and demo a couple of the drive through banks. :)

I wouldn't mind that, personally.

Yeah, downtown sucks.

It's only the home of the Rockets, Comets, Aeros, and Astros.

It's only the home of the city, county, and federal government offices.

It's only the site of our city's founding (Allen's Landing).

It's only the space where the major parades are held (Rodeo, Thanksgiving, Cinco de Mayo, etc...)

It's only the home for the ballet (Wortham), Opera (Wortham), Symphony (Jones Hall), and major performance halls (Alley and Hobby Center).

It's only the home of some of the cities best hotels (Four Seasons, Icon, Lancaster, Alden, Magnolia, Inn at the Ballpark) and biggest hotels (Hilton and Hyatt).

It's only the home of the Catholic and Episcopal Diocese.

It's only the home of Bayou Place, the Aquarium, and soon to be Pavilions.

It's only the home for UH-Downtown and it's 11,500 students and 720 employees.

It's only the home for the South Texas College of Law and all major courts.

It's only the home of Market Square, Main Street Square, Allen's Landing, and the Blue Bayou project.

It's only the home of St. Joseph's Medical Center and its 1,900 employees.

It's only where the nation's BEST airline and it's regional affiliate call home (Continental and Express Jet who employ 3,500 folks downtown).

It's only the home of the city's newspaper and its 800 workers (Chronicle).

It's only the home of the GRB Convention Center and major trade shows.

It's only the home of Shell Oil, Lyondell Petrochemical, Center Point, Kinder Morgan, Waste Management, El Paso, KBR, Reliant, and Epco. These companies only base 15,855 workers downtown.

It's only where 3,470 people are employed by the 5 biggest law firms (V&E, F&J, BB, A&K, and B&G)

It's only where the major banks have their regional headquarters (JP Morgan Chase, Amegy, Bank of America and Wells Fargo) and 5,515 employees.

it's only the home of major national firms like Deloitte & Touche, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, KPMG Peat Marwick and their nearly 4,000 high paying jobs.

It's only the Houston base for Devon Energy, Amerada Hess, Chevron Texaco, Exxon Mobil, and Pennzoil (over 11,000 total employees downtown).

I mean, Memorial City with it's Circuit City, Baseball USA, and LaQuinta is just so much finer!

Archived