Shamrock 6 Cinemas Theater At 7017 South Main St.

devonhart

It orginally had four screens. Years later two more screens were added. I don't think any of the other screens were split up because I remember the building actually expanding.

Thanks, I was sure it was Shamrock 6, I just didn't remember it had once been a 4 screen.

• Like 1

Thanks, I was sure it was Shamrock 6, I just didn't remember it had once been a 4 screen.

Yeah, I only remember it as The Shamrock 6 Theaters. I can't stop thinking of all the movies we saw there. Stepford Wives, Gumball Rally, Deathrace 2000, etc. Nostalgia trip. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah, I only remember it as The Shamrock 6 Theaters. I can't stop thinking of all the movies we saw there. Stepford Wives, Gumball Rally, Deathrace 2000, etc. Nostalgia trip. :rolleyes:

Those movie titles are a nostalgia trip. Gumball Rally - entertaining movie that was overshadowed by the more farsical and star studded Cannonball Run a few years later. Every now and then, the Speed Network will show it and I watch it every time. "Franco isa reddy! Nowa de race canna beegin."

Even to this day, I've never seen Death Race 2000. I remember it caused quite a stir back in 1975/76 when it came out and there was a video game based on the movie that debuted at that time (perhaps one of the first movie/video game tie-ins). I did play the game once at the local skating rink until they pulled it due to its controversial nature.

Stepford Wives was a great movie. They showed the remake a few days ago on cable and bleeeech, what a waste. Katherine Ross, what a hottie. I make sure I catch her movies whenever they come on.

• Like 1

Those movie titles are a nostalgia trip. Gumball Rally - entertaining movie that was overshadowed by the more farsical and star studded Cannonball Run a few years later. Every now and then, the Speed Network will show it and I watch it every time. "Franco isa reddy! Nowa de race canna beegin."

No one except true gearheads will ever claim that the GUMBALL RALLY is great art, but I love it. I saw it in first run at the Northline General Cinema as a kid, and thought that it was one of the greatest movies I'd ever seen. It's available on a nice widescreen DVD now, and before that, I had the earlier laserdisc and rewatched it at least once a year.

There's no way anyone would make a movie now and drive those cars as hard as they did in GUMBALL RALLY - back when it was made, Cobras were just old race cars that you could still pick up for a few thousand dollars. Now they're half-million-dollar collector's items.

BTW, you may have already run across it before, but if not, Brock Yates' book "Cannonball" is a great read chronicling all of the various real-life Cannonball races that the various movies were loosely based on, of which GUMBALL was the first and best.

"The first-a rule of Italian driving: whatsa behind me is not important." :P

• Like 1

No one except true gearheads will ever claim that the GUMBALL RALLY is great art, but I love it.

Same goes with Smokey and the Bandit. There's certainly no art (or plot) there either.

Once a woman here at work was asking why movies like this are so popular with guys. "Shoot, what guy doesn't want to drive a fast car, drink beer and pick up girls? It's every guy's dream!" And I don't even drink and barely know anything about cars. LOL!

I really wanted to see the Gumball Rally when it was in theatres. But the gang, as it was, wanted to see Bad News Bears. Not that I came out on the short end cause that was a great flick too. But I had to wait years before I finally got to see Gumball Rally.

How did we ever survive without VCRs or DVDs?

• Like 1

How did we ever survive without VCRs or DVDs?

Double and Triple features. In the late 60s and early 70s, the James Bond producers figured out guys would pay to see James Bond movies they'd already seen. I saw Dr No and Goldfinger at Meyerland Plaza, Dr No., From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger at McLendon Triple. Thunderball and You Only Live Twice at the Loews downtown. And a couple other combinations of the films elsewhere.

• Like 1

No one except true gearheads will ever claim that the GUMBALL RALLY is great art, but I love it. I saw it in first run at the Northline General Cinema as a kid, and thought that it was one of the greatest movies I'd ever seen. It's available on a nice widescreen DVD now, and before that, I had the earlier laserdisc and rewatched it at least once a year.

There's no way anyone would make a movie now and drive those cars as hard as they did in GUMBALL RALLY - back when it was made, Cobras were just old race cars that you could still pick up for a few thousand dollars. Now they're half-million-dollar collector's items.

BTW, you may have already run across it before, but if not, Brock Yates' book "Cannonball" is a great read chronicling all of the various real-life Cannonball races that the various movies were loosely based on, of which GUMBALL was the first and best.

"The first-a rule of Italian driving: whatsa behind me is not important." :P

Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. played the part of Catholic priests in the race. The pulled over the ambulance driven by Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise. They said that they wanted to bless it. Deluise opened the side door and there was Farrah Fawcett lying there on the gurney. Dean Martin said: "Oh, I've got to bless her!"

• Like 1

Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. played the part of Catholic priests in the race. The pulled over the ambulance driven by Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise. They said that they wanted to bless it. Deluise opened the side door and there was Farrah Fawcett lying there on the gurney. Dean Martin said: "Oh, I've got to bless her!"

The very idea of Dean Martin taking the helm in a car race is bizarre! Wonder how many curbs he hit!? DUI on a broadscale for sure! Too funny!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost certain that it was a 4 screen in the early 70's. My older sister used to drag me and my friends along to the midnight movies as it was the only way she could hang out with her boyfriend at that hour! What was my mom thinking?!?!

• 6 years later...

Was that located ABOVE the Kroger? It looks like when I looked it up, there's shops and stuff above the Kroger (which used to be Safeway, and briefly an AppleTree--either a really fancy AppleTree or a dumpy AppleTree in a nice neighborhood)

Looking at the address it would have been further west towards McDuffie in the older part of the shopping center.  Was that Kroger originally a Safeway?  I only remember it as a Kroger.

The Shamrock 6 must have closed in the early-mid 1980s.  Someone mentions seeing Saint Elmo's Fire there, which would place it up until 1985.  I only remember going there one time in that period, but all I can recall is that the place seemed really rundown by then.  

I saw Grand Hotel at the Parc III (didn't remember the name of the theater) ca. 1972-73 and had my '68 Volvo vandalized in the parking lot.  Not exactly what I expected a block from River Oaks.  The theaters were on the ground level, west end of the strip center, right on McDuffie as I recall.  Tiny auditoriums, very, very plain.  i think I've been in theaters with bigger restrooms than the auditoriums of the Parc III.  I don't remember that grocery store as anything other than a Kroger.  After the theaters disappeared there was a Soup and Salad at about the same location.

Re:  the Shamrock 4.  When I worked at KAUM we held a screening of Performance with Mick Jagger there.  That was released in the fall of '70 and the theaters were very new.  KAUM was on the 16th floor of the Fannin Bank at Holcombe and Main, now a Wells Fargo?   I was surprised how small the auditoriums were.  There was very limited seating so lots of listeners had bought tickets to the other films showing and were trying to sneak into the Jagger film.  I went out to the concession stand during the movie and quickly abandoned that idea because of the crowded lobby and the long line, then I had to fight my way back to my seat.  The theater staff was making no attempt to police the situation, probably wisely.  The whole time I was there I kept thinking of Valians.

That was the first multiplex I'd ever been in but a year or two later I saw a movie (can't remember the name) at the Gaylynn (?) Twin (?) at Sharpstown and the theaters were not brand new but I don't know how old they were.  One full sized auditorium, one smaller but still larger than the auditoriums at Shamrock or Parc III.  Does a twin-plex count as a multi-plex?

Of course there had been twin drive-in movie theaters long before that.

• Like 1

BTW, sorry for going off of topic, never went to the Shamrock 4 or 6. I can tell you the Almeda and Northwest 4 were the first "multiplexes" in Houston. I believe Town & Country was right after them.

Also, the poster stating the Kroger on W. Gray was originally a Weingarten's is absolutely correct.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Shamrock 6: Houston's 1st Multiplex?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Shamrock 6 Cinemas Theater At 7017 South Main St.
  • 5 months later...