Move Gay Pride Parade?

I've been reading where they want to change the date of Gay Pride in 2008 to a cooler month and move it downtown. You guys have any input on this? My first take is "leave it alone; it ain't broke so don't fix it" .... but I've been thinking it might be a cool thing to implement. Please give me your opinions. I'm like a deer (or queer) in the headlights on this one.

I've been reading where they want to change the date of Gay Pride in 2008 to a cooler month and move it downtown. You guys have any input on this? My first take is "leave it alone; it ain't broke so don't fix it" .... but I've been thinking it might be a cool thing to implement. Please give me your opinions. I'm like a deer (or queer) in the headlights on this one.

While, I'm sure it's quickly outgrowing it's Montrose location, moving it to downtown would be a mistake. I think they should extend it further down westiemer, if the crowds increase to the point where it's not as feasible, then perhaps we can roll it down Montrose instead.

As far as moving it to a different time of year to hold it in the day, I don't know, I've grown rather fond of the night displays.

#'s is still popular, since it allows underage, and its insanely 80's.

Everytime I think of that place, I think "WARM... Leatherette..."

Now I'm going to be singing that in my head all night.

You guys are really sending me down memory lane with all these references

I've been reading where they want to change the date of Gay Pride in 2008 to a cooler month and move it downtown. You guys have any input on this? My first take is "leave it alone; it ain't broke so don't fix it" .... but I've been thinking it might be a cool thing to implement. Please give me your opinions. I'm like a deer (or queer) in the headlights on this one.<<houstonfella

I think they should leave it in Montrose. The sense of community is a part of the parade and that sense of community doesn't exist downtown. I had read recently where some of the lower Westheimer businesses were complaining about the crowds, but it's only a one day thing and some of those businesses enjoy extra revenue out of it...mainly the bars I suppose. As for the cooler months..well I think most of the folks that go aren't so much worried about the heat, especially after a few cold beers. LOL It's better since they changed it to later in the evening than it used to be, plus, the big thing is that it commemorates the Stonewall Riots that were in June so I think it's important to keep that in mind as far as the date goes.

Most Gay Pride parades are in June, as 2fatcats said, it commemorates the Stonewall Riots...

I think it would be awesome if it was on Main Street, there could be venue tents, stages, plenty of temporary 'bars' to serve as watering holes... However, restrooms & trash could be a factor. But I think it would be cool to see Main Street be as full as it was during the Super Bowl.

+250,000 Happy Homosexuals dancing in the rainbow filled corridor of Main Street. (Think of the corporate sponsers).

+250,000 Happy Homosexuals dancing in the rainbow filled corridor of Main Street. (Think of the corporate sponsers).

When the corporate sector gets involved with any grass roots organization such as this, the changes would probably be for the worse.

Not last year... Did you see all the logos of Beer, Banks, local businesses? Not to mention the "Lube" trash cans.

Those have been there for years.

I say leave it where it is on Westheimer. Besides, there's still ample room for more people. The stretch of Westheimer from the parade's starting point down to where Westheimer starts curving at Mulberry St. is usually not that packed with lots of room for the crowd to spread out. I can sort of understand the argument about the festival, since there's really not much room for it in Montrose, but why not move it to the parks along Buffalo Bayou, which aren't that far away? I've been to pride in San Diego and their parade is in Hillcrest (their gayborhood) but the festival is in Balboa Park, which is a little farther from the parade route than Buffalo Bayou is from Westheimer, and yet everyone has no problem walking between the two venues. Why not have a big festival in the park Saturday afternoon/early evening, then close the festival about an hour before the parade to give everyone time to migrate over to Westheimer for the parade?

Looks like it will be staying in the Montrose for a while.

Jan. 14, 2007, 10:06AM

Montrose site wins reprieve in parade fight

Houston Pride delays vote on whether to move festivities in 2008

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Opponents of moving the Houston Pride Parade out of the Montrose area won at least a temporary victory Saturday when Houston Pride president Carol Wyatt announced a delay in the scheduled vote on whether to move the event downtown in 2008.

Chronicle article

I think downtown would be a great location. It is more accessible, more street parking, and lots more great parks. They could have it at the park in front of city hall and have entertainment stages at the Tranquillity Park.

It's not like downtown is outer space ... there are lots of bars and clubs that patrons and onlookers could attend.

Thats why having it on Main street would make it spread out?

Besides, parking would be ALOT easier!

I don't understand the organizer's motives. If they were so convinced about moving to Downtown, why not just have the parade and festival in Montrose like usual, then move it to the new Downtown Park next year? There's supposed to be underground parking and big stages there similar to Hermann Park. Couldn't they just march down Main Street and beside Pavillions to the Downtown Park?

And why not have the International Festival do the same thing, and have the Art Car parade go the same route?

How about this? Why not just have the parade go down montrose and have it end at the fountains at main? that way you can have plenty of room for people and festivals. Or start everything near beechnut and have it END near Westheimer at Montrose? The parade has gotten to be a good sized event, but I think it still small enough to be held in the montrose, but perhaps in a different way.

How about this? Why not just have the parade go down montrose and have it end at the fountains at main? that way you can have plenty of room for people and festivals. Or start everything near beechnut and have it END near Westheimer at Montrose? The parade has gotten to be a good sized event, but I think it still small enough to be held in the montrose, but perhaps in a different way.

Thats not a bad idea... There could be venues/stages in Hermann Park like the Japanese Festival that is held there.

But I still think Downtown would be cool. Expecially with the Rail.

Does anyone know how long the parade is? When I saw it on Westheimer, There were curves in both directions, and I couldn't really tell where it started and where it ended.

From what I understand, it started at Whitney and ended near or just Past Woodhead.

Not a very long route and it's insanely crowded, particularly the 3 blocks around Montrose and Westheimer.

Perhaps it would be best if they could simply stretch it out a bit more, allow for more walking/people watching room.

Of course, it would be interesting to see people dressed in S&M gear walking past the Greek Church.....

That would beat me almost being dead drunk in there during the greek festival......

Thats not a bad idea... There could be venues/stages in Hermann Park like the Japanese Festival that is held there.

But I still think Downtown would be cool. Expecially with the Rail.

Does anyone know how long the parade is? When I saw it on Westheimer, There were curves in both directions, and I couldn't really tell where it started and where it ended.

Those light rail trains will blow those wigs all over downtown. :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Montrose is where all the bars are at. Would be kinda weird to end the parade at 10:30-11pm and then walk into a straight bar. Takes all the fun out of it. Moving it to a cooler month is most certainly a good idea! I took my sister in law last year: the heat was so bad that she ended up begging me to take her home. March or April would be perfect for a parade.

Montrose is where all the bars are at. Would be kinda weird to end the parade at 10:30-11pm and then walk into a straight bar. Takes all the fun out of it. Moving it to a cooler month is most certainly a good idea! I took my sister in law last year: the heat was so bad that she ended up begging me to take her home. March or April would be perfect for a parade.

While we're at it, let's move independence day to April as well. The weather is much nicer.

I think the night celebration is still nice, they just need to reroute it so more people can view it comfortably.

Being there last year for the celebration I would have simply suggested that you go to one of the many bars nearby for a refreshing drink. If she's from up north, she should have taken precautions against the heat like we (at least, the ones with common sense) do down here.

• 3 weeks later...

I attended the community feedback meeting where this idea was presented and almost unanimously turned down by all who attended. The primary reason Pride Houston gave for wanting to move the Pride events was to enhance the Pride Festival. They want to move the parade downtown and end with the festival in the same area as the International Festival.

The general consensus was that a move would destroy the event (see Westheimer Street Festival) and more importantly forget the history that is inherent to the streets in Montrose. The major community leaders who have been around since the beginning were all against it. A move to a cooler month would loose its meaning as Pride commorates the Stonewall riots, the start of the gay rights movement. Yep, that's at the end of June.

I love when the younger generation asks why the hell do we have the parade in June. The answer is always a history lesson.

Pride Houston is the largest such event in the Southwest. I voted to leave it the hell alone.

Archived