Apple iPhone

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother and his wife are getting them today.

Anyone else upgraded or purchased one today.

I heard activation is on the fritz and Apple is actually letting you take them home WITHOUT in store activitation. . . interesting.

• 10 months later...

Next iPhone - Rumors

iphone3_02.jpg

* 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)

* $199 and $299 price points to be maintained

* 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)

* Video-recording and editing capabilities

* Ability to send a picture & video via MMS

* Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device

* OLED screen

* 1.5 times the battery life of the current models

* Double the RAM and processing power

* Built-in FM transmitter

* Apple logo on back will glow

* Rubber-tread backing

* Sleeker design

* Built-in compass

* The camera, GPS, compass and Google map combined will identify photo and inform about photo locations

* Turn-by-turn directions

Rumored release date July 17th 2009

Next iPhone - Rumors

iphone3_02.jpg

* 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)

* $199 and $299 price points to be maintained

* 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)

* Video-recording and editing capabilities

* Ability to send a picture & video via MMS

* Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device

* OLED screen

* 1.5 times the battery life of the current models

* Double the RAM and processing power

* Built-in FM transmitter

* Apple logo on back will glow

* Rubber-tread backing

* Sleeker design

* Built-in compass

* The camera, GPS, compass and Google map combined will identify photo and inform about photo locations

* Turn-by-turn directions

Rumored release date July 17th 2009

I thought they would have video conferencing. Its the year 2009, video conferencing should be a standard on all phones. ten years ago I figured by now that we would all be able to see who we are talking to live on the phone. The technology is out there, but its not common yet.

i really want the iphone but refuse to deal with at&t so i got an ipod touch instead. i do look forward to if and when it does come to verizon. i am also looking forward to the palm pre. before i bought my ipod touch, i used palm devices.

i really want the iphone but refuse to deal with at&t so i got an ipod touch instead. i do look forward to if and when it does come to verizon. i am also looking forward to the palm pre. before i bought my ipod touch, i used palm devices.

The PRE is coming out very soon. Personally I think the iPhone is overrated. The camera is not very good compared to other cellphones (Omnia, Memoir), most of the apps are childish games, and I dont think you can get enterprise email (or your own chat client) on it.

Right now I have this dumb S30. I'm thinking of moving over to verizon to get the Omnia... but I'm having enough of a hard time paying $69.99 a month for unlimited data/email/text as it is. Verizon has this same deal for another $30. I dont know about all that.

I wouldnt go with a Blackberry either... except maybe the Bold. I keep hearing horror stories over and over about how their OS updates crash users' phones. No thanks.

There are plenty of other phones that are more capable than the iPhone.

Spec wise, yea, the iPhone is "lacking". But its ease of use that trumps all other smartphones. Just like it is on the computer side. The apps store is awesome, of course some people will hate the fact that all the apps have to get Apple approval before it goes on the app store, but it makes sure that it works and doesn't crash the system.

Has anyone jailbroken their iphone?

I was reading up on it this weekend and apparently some of my previously thought reasons for not doing so were busted. Main reasons being : Once you jailbreak, you can't use normal Appstore. Wrong. And Once you jailbreak, your phone is forever broken. Wrong.

Plus, apparently with the newer iphone OS, jailbreaking is as simple as can be, so less risk for screwing up your phone.

Has anyone done this ? Any regrets ?

One of the reasons I'm considering it would be the ability to tether the phone to my laptop to be used as a modem.

Has anyone jailbroken their iphone?

I was reading up on it this weekend and apparently some of my previously thought reasons for not doing so were busted. Main reasons being : Once you jailbreak, you can't use normal Appstore. Wrong. And Once you jailbreak, your phone is forever broken. Wrong.

Plus, apparently with the newer iphone OS, jailbreaking is as simple as can be, so less risk for screwing up your phone.

Has anyone done this ? Any regrets ?

One of the reasons I'm considering it would be the ability to tether the phone to my laptop to be used as a modem.

I think it's been done... Although I dont know anyone who has done it.

You can do tethering with other phones too.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I will hold onto the 3G I have now until my contract expires, because I can't fathom paying almost 700 dollars for a phone because I want an early upgrade. (which isn't really a fault to AT&T because other carriers would do the same thing, and by that time maybe another iPhone will become available.)

Unfortunately 3G wont have all of the new feature of the new phone, but I still can't wait for 3.0 to be released. Although I am sort of irritated about having to wait for MMS and who knows about tethering. I may just have to jailbreak, not sure yet.

Oh, and I asked a Bestbuy employee about the new iPhone, and he said that they should get it July 19th.

The 3GS isn't so different from the 3G or even the original iPhone that I feel compelled to get one.

If I do get the next iPhone, I'll definitely shell out the $700 up front to save hundreds of dollars over the lifetime of the phone. When I got the original iPhone it was the first time in my life I had a cell phone contract, and I hate it. From 1997 to 2007 I never had a phone with a contract. I don't have a contract for cable or electricity or DSL or water or anything else. Why do people feel obligated to shackle themselves to a cell phone company?

I could have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars by using my iPhone on T-Mobile (Which T-Mobile supports) instead of AT&T. But I decided to be a cheap bastard, and got burned for it. Lesson learned.

The 3GS isn't so different from the 3G or even the original iPhone that I feel compelled to get one.

If I do get the next iPhone, I'll definitely shell out the $700 up front to save hundreds of dollars over the lifetime of the phone. When I got the original iPhone it was the first time in my life I had a cell phone contract, and I hate it. From 1997 to 2007 I never had a phone with a contract. I don't have a contract for cable or electricity or DSL or water or anything else. Why do people feel obligated to shackle themselves to a cell phone company?

I could have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars by using my iPhone on T-Mobile (Which T-Mobile supports) instead of AT&T. But I decided to be a cheap bastard, and got burned for it. Lesson learned.

Wayne, some features, like visual voicemail and a few other items may not work.

Wayne, some features, like visual voicemail and a few other items may not work.

Visual voicemail won't work on T-Mobile in the United States, but that doesn't mean much to me. As you know I have well over 4,000 rollover minutes on my account, so I don't use voice services much.

Everything else should work since my current phone is the original iPhone.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS may have trouble with 3G services on T-Mobile because T-Mobile uses non-standard frequencies in the United States.

Interestingly, if I'm roaming on T-Mobile overseas everything will work including visual voicemail and 3G service.

Interestingly, if I'm roaming on T-Mobile overseas everything will work including visual voicemail and 3G service.

Yeah, funny how my T-Mobile BBerry worked better in London than in Houston. Maybe because then T-Mobster can gouge you per KB and per second? Noooooo.....

Yeah, funny how my T-Mobile BBerry worked better in London than in Houston. Maybe because then T-Mobster can gouge you per KB and per second? Noooooo.....

It's because in Houston the only GSM competition is AT&T.

In London, T-Mobile has to compete with Orange, O2, and Vodafone.

Also, T-Mobile's been in the London market since 1993, when it launched the world's first 1800 MHz network. In the U.S., T-Mobile was formed out of a patchwork of acquisitions of smaller and incompatible carriers (Suncom, Western Wireless, Aerial, Voicestream, Omnipoint, etc...) and even though today it's a single quilt, it's still a quilt made of unequal patches.

iPhone questions!

1.) Contact list, do I have to start from scratch, will they convert my contact list from my Sanyo to the iPhone? Can I sync my Gmail contacts?

2.) Apps, like iFitness, Rolando, etc. Can I share my purchased Apps that was used on my iPod Touch and use them on my iPhone, and will I still have the same profile?

iPhone questions!

1.) Contact list, do I have to start from scratch, will they convert my contact list from my Sanyo to the iPhone?

If your Sanyo synced with your Mac, your contacts will sync to your iPhone via iTunes.

Can I sync my Gmail contacts?

I don't do it personally, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. If you currently sync your Gmail contacts with Address Book then you'll be fine because Address Book syncs with your iPhone.

2.) Apps, like iFitness, Rolando, etc. Can I share my purchased Apps that was used on my iPod Touch and use them on my iPhone, and will I still have the same profile?

If your iPhone and your iPod touch are both syncing with the same iTunes library and the same user, then they can be copied to both devices. However, game saves or progress or data are unique to each device unless the app in question stores the data in a central server.

If your iPhone and your iPod touch are both syncing with the same iTunes library and the same user, then they can be copied to both devices. However, game saves or progress or data are unique to each device unless the app in question stores the data in a central server.

Well crap, crap, crap, crap, and crap.

My whole workout history is gone then!

This may be of some use to you for your contacts and calendars:

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

Well crap, crap, crap, crap, and crap.

My whole workout history is gone then!

Not necessarily. It depends on how the application is written. If your workout history is on your Touch, you sync your Touch with iTunes. Then you sync your iPhone with iTunes and the data may just end up on the iPhone, too.

If you're using the Nike+ stuff, then you won't need your Touch anymore since it's built in to the iPhone.

This may be of some use to you for your contacts and calendars:

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

Not necessarily. It depends on how the application is written. If your workout history is on your Touch, you sync your Touch with iTunes. Then you sync your iPhone with iTunes and the data may just end up on the iPhone, too.

If you're using the Nike+ stuff, then you won't need your Touch anymore since it's built in to the iPhone.

Thanks Wayne, the games, if I lose my profiles, I can deal with it, but I emailed the guys at iFitness and posted on MacRumors as well.

Hopefully I can get a clear answer, and hopefully the answer i want.

But I guess I will find out tomorrow when I sync.

I found the "hack" you were talking about. Naturally, since it's being pushed by Engadget, it's more hype than hack. All it is is installing an alternate carrier's settings on the phone. Nothing "hack"y about that at all.

I used to do it all the time when I had T-Mobile, at the instruction of T-Mobile. Since the phones I usually used on T-Mobile USA weren't available in America, T-Mobile instructed me how to do this. The first few times it involved finding cellular carriers in other parts of the world that carried my phone. Eventually T-Mobile put together its own web site to do this exact thing.

So, no, Engadget. It's not a "hack" -- especially if it's something backed by a mobile phone carrier. The people at Engadget wouldn't know a "hack" if it wasn't written in a press release for them.

Archived