Apple iPhone

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lil Brother says 10% off to the public next month, with a 2 year contract. I really like the ease of use, so I am having Lil Brother FedEx me one today. AT&T people get 10% off now. I noticed it had a 3G Sim Card in it, and asked Kent what the deal was, and he exspects an upgrade in the near furture, they are working on Batt power savings right now. The Wifi feature is very handy, I can knock out emails a lot faster than the blackjack while sitting in the airport and not having to break out the laptop. Full HTML makes it really nice. This is a heck of a machine. Haif works great on it. It really blew on the Blackjack.

Good news for modern man. The problem is that Apple has brought out the lawyers, so the hackers' ability to distribute the unlocking software is on hold. I recently paid to have my other (Nokia) phone unlocked, but it would be nice to use the iPhone in multiple locations.

It's high noon, Apple and AT&T -- we really hate to break it to you, but the jig is up. Last night the impossible was made possible: right in front of our very eyes we witnessed a full SIM unlock of our iPhone with a small piece of software. It's all over, guys.

The iPhoneSIMfree.com team called us up to prove their claim that they cracked Apple's iPhone SIM lock system, and prove it they did. (No, we don't have a copy of the unlock software, so don't even ask us, ok?) The six-man team has been working non-stop since launch day, and they're officially the first to break Apple's SIM locks on the iPhone with software. It's done. Seriously. They wouldn't tell us when and how they would release it to the public, but you can certainly bet that they'll try to make a buck on their solution (and rightly so). We can hardly believe the iPhone's finally been cracked. No, scratch that -- we just can't believe it took this long.

Again: we can confirm with 100% certainty that iPhoneSIMfree.com's software solution completely SIM unlocks the iPhone, is restore-resistant, and should make the iPhone fully functional for users outside of the US.

It's kinda funny, less than 24 hrs after this hack popped up, our iPhones got a software update via iTunes, really curious as to what this actual update was? Possible contingency plan to this hack-ability issue? Steve Jobs counter intelligence? Who knows. You can bet that Jobs is going to bring out the big guns on this one. There is no telling the $ amount that AT&T paid for the exclusive right to the iPhone, which would be null and void if this is out freely, so you can bet this might get nasty. More to follow I am sure.

Maddox (author of The Best Page in the Universe) states, in not-so-diplomatic terms, that he prefers the Nokia E70 to the iPhone:

I have not used either system, so I do not have an opinion about which one is better.

Dropping is an issue.

I have dropped my Sanyo Katana at least a dozen times, landing on concrete or tile too. Still works, no real damage, just superficial scratches.

My friend dropped his iPhone once and the screen cracked.

He is on his 3rd iPhone now.

Just FYI, they are very fragile.

Dropping is an issue.

I have dropped my Sanyo Katana at least a dozen times, landing on concrete or tile too. Still works, no real damage, just superficial scratches.

Third iPhone in two months???? News flash, they're not basketballs. Tell him to but the gel cover that will take the shock out of it. $19.99 vs. $599. I'm thinking it's worth a shot. He might try the leather cover with tether attached.

Dropping is an issue.

That comparison is useless. No two drops are the same.

Did your phone hit carpet? Did his? What thickness of carpet? Was it a wood floor? Concrete? From what height? At what angle did it impact?

There are too many variables involved to call the iPhone "fragile" based on your experience. In my experience, I've been very pleased with how sturdy it feels. I've dropped it twice with no problems (I won't say from what height or onto what since you didn't).

Moreover, what kind of a person spends $600 on a phone, but can't afford a $15 cover for it? Like you car, your home, its contents, or anything valuable, you take steps to protect it. You wouldn't buy a $600 leather jacket and not have it treated so it doesn't get ruined when it rains. You don't buy a $600 ring and not add it to your insurance policy.

It's kinda funny, less than 24 hrs after this hack popped up, our iPhones got a software update via iTunes, really curious as to what this actual update was? Possible contingency plan to this hack-ability issue? Steve Jobs counter intelligence? Who knows. You can bet that Jobs is going to bring out the big guns on this one. There is no telling the $ amount that AT&T paid for the exclusive right to the iPhone, which would be null and void if this is out freely, so you can bet this might get nasty. More to follow I am sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not so much Apple, but AT&T that takes the lead on this. AT&T has a lot to lose if the iPhone isn't exclusive to its network. Apple, on the other hand, gets to sell lots more iPhones to people who don't want to be on AT&T.

But I still think the whole "look at me I'm an elite hacker because I cracked the iPhone" thing is a little blown out of proportion. Let's look at what he's actually done:

He's altered an iPhone so it can be used... on T-Mobile. That's it. No other American carrier. It's still a GSM phone, so in the U.S. your choices are AT&T or T-Mobile.

Beyond that -- if you were to go out and buy an iPhone and then crack it yourself to work on T-Mobile, then you'd be really stupid because you'd have a monthly T-Mobile bill AND an AT&T bill for the next two years. Where's the logic in that? It's not like AT&T's going to suddenly let you out of your contract because you hacked the phone. And you have to activate the phone before you can hack it. And right now the only way to activate it is to sign up with AT&T.

So instead of having an $80/month phone bill, you get a $140/month phone bill. Brilliant.

That comparison is useless. No two drops are the same.

Did your phone hit carpet? Did his? What thickness of carpet? Was it a wood floor? Concrete? From what height? At what angle did it impact?

My phone has dropped on almost every type of surface, but most of the time it happens in a parking lot as I am leaving my car. I forget that I have it on my lap still. So concrete/asphalt.

Moreover, what kind of a person spends $600 on a phone, but can't afford a $15 cover for it?

He has a rubberized cover, but it is still not effective.

He has phone insurance, which is how he is getting replacements for free.

I contemplated getting this phone this year (birthday is coming up - all the more reason to justify the purchase), but it looks like I won't be able to. I still have until April of 08' to be in my contract with Verizon. :( Is it just me or does a 2 year agreement feel like an extraordinarily long time to bind someone to your services?

My phone has dropped on almost every type of surface, but most of the time it happens in a parking lot as I am leaving my car. I forget that I have it on my lap still. So concrete/asphalt.

He has a rubberized cover, but it is still not effective.

He has phone insurance, which is how he is getting replacements for free.

Who's insuring the iPhone, I'd like to look into it myself?

AT&T/Cingular does not insure any smart phone. My wife just washed my Samsung smart phone. Thank gooodness I was able to get a replacement through work for only $100.00.

Unless he has some kind of private phone insurance or through a credit card.

The three broken phone story sounds fishy.

AT&T/Cingular does not insure any smart phone. My wife just washed my Samsung smart phone. Thank gooodness I was able to get a replacement through work for only $100.00.

Unless he has some kind of private phone insurance or through a credit card.

The three broken phone story sounds fishy.

I was well aware that AT&T didn't insure ANY smartphone, that's why I asked the question. I bought my wife the gel cover because she is prone to dropping things. It's a side affect of the Lupus. So far she hasn't tested the gel cover yet, but it's only been a few days!! :o

Hee hee ! 2 months and the Iphone has already been hacked by a 17 yr. old to use other networks. Nice try AT&T.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070828/ap_on_...iphone_unlocked

oops, missed mark's post earlier on this. Well, I really only saw it in the first place becuase I was rifling through mark's files that I hacked on HIS computer. Mark you have been a naughty boy on that cpu of yours.

He got the extended Apple Care warranty I believe.
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Wrong answer, that's nothing more than tech support and a repair plan from Apple will extend the hardware repair coverage to up to two years from the original purchase date of the iPhone, and must be purchased covered under Apple

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an update in the iTunes software. There is now a folder called ringtones. Did a little nosing around iSrore and there will be a second update giving you the ability to use music as a ringtone in the near future. guess that will get rid of those that cried about not being able to personalize their ringtone. I am sure this is just the begining of the features they will roll out with this toy.

I finally found out what happens when you drop an iPhone first-hand.

I was at the Minnesota State Fair last week, and my wife was trying to show me a parking map on her iPhone. As she handed it to me... slip! It hit the pavement on the corner.. bounced.. hit the pavement again mostly on the screen.. bounced.. and slid through the gravel at the side of the path.

I thought she was going to have a heart attack.

The result of the fall from about four feet -- a few minor scratches on the chrome bezel. One medium scratch on the lower left-corner of the chrome bezel. The back is perfect. The screen is still perfect.

I think it's still in perfect condition, but we went to the Apple Store at the Mall of America and the guy told us that they don't just replace the bezel, but they do have a flat fee for repairing cosmetic damage -- $250. It seems like a lot, but I think it's to discourage griefers (my wife included) from flooding their stores with barely scratched merchandise.

Three days later -- the same thing happened. She was handing me the phone to show me something, and she dropped it. This time onto the new ceramic tile in our kitchen. Clatter clatter clatter clatter. No damage.

In short, based on my experiences, I think Puma's friend is full of crap.

I couldn't resist - the $200 price drop got me!!

My RAZR was on it's last leg so I needed to do something - the new RAZR2 was $299 (but sold out everywhere) and the iPhone was $399 - so I went iPhone.

The best part was that I was able to keep my very old ATT&T (Cingular) voice plan and just add on a $20 iPhone data plan. The sales people (and even AT&T customer support people) told me my plan was too old and I would have to buy a new iPhone plan. That was going to be fine - but when I activated my iPhone, they just added the $20 data plan to my current $40 voice plan so I have a 1000 minute/month iPhone plan for $60 instead of the $80 plan that I thought I was going to have to get.

For anyone out there buying accessories - dont buy them at the AT&T stores (I know everyone knows that already!!)...I got a car charger and usb connector on Amazon.com for $.01 each (yes - 1 cent each)...of course shipping was $8 - but for $8.02 I got what costs over $40 at the AT&T store.

Now I just have to figure out how to use everything!!

Good for you. I'm going to wait a little while longer.

T-Mobile Germany accidentally posted an ad for the "new" iPhone last night and let the cat out of the bag. It looks like the reason Apple dropped the price on the original iPhone is because the new one is around the corner. (Same thing it keeps doing with the iPods)

According to the T-Mobile ad I saw, the new one has 16 GB of memory and does both HSDPA and UMTS. Hopefully this 3G iPhone will be available in the States since I believe AT&T's 3G network is HSDPA.

Speculation is that the announcement will be on Spetember 25th, at the big European Apple conference. That would make sense since Apple said it would have details about the 3G available this quarter, and it would be available by the end of the year. T-Mobile is saying mid-November for its market.

Yeah I saw that too, but it was "leaked" on a french Mac site that I saw it. Could be a rumor, but really is more than likely a reality soon. It looks like a big future for the iPhone. 3G is so much more than EDGE, this will be a great thing as soon as it makes stateside.

http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2007-09-08/#14915

Translation thru google:

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%...=en&ie=UTF8

All the Mac forums are frothing at the mouth over this

I posted this in the wrong thread before I think!

Wanted to throw in what I finally got to work. It finally worked for me. The key is that you have to use songs that you didn't purchase via iTunes. I am sure some update will kill this eventually. But for now here you go.

Here's what I did:

1. import mp3 to iTunes

2. convert to AAC

3. close iTunes and unplug phone (this is key to making it work)

4. change file extension to .m4r

5. doubleclick on the new file (.m4r)

6. plug in phone

7. files are synched to iPhone

8. choose your new ring tone

Good luck!

Wayne maybe you should hold out on your iPhone for the 16gig 3G, use her $100 credit from the wife's iPhone and get you a new generation for a c-note less.

Now that the price has dropped AND there is a free program for unlocking it to be used with t-mobile, I am tempted to get an iPhone.....

But I should probably wait for the next generation. I wonder how long it'll be.

Now that the price has dropped AND there is a free program for unlocking it to be used with t-mobile, I am tempted to get an iPhone.....

But I should probably wait for the next generation. I wonder how long it'll be.

Ten days to the announcement. Availability is up in the air.

Archived