Apple iPhone

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone notice any lines?

Going to bed and will just be waking up a bit early.

Hopefully nothing chaotic tomorrow.

I was in the Apple Store (Willowbrook) yesterday and they seemed to have just normal traffic in and out of the store. I didn't see any lines per se (but you know they use those little handheld cash register dealies anyhow, so there is really no counter to speak of), but I can guarantee you there will be lines today.

I am REALLY considering getting this version of the iPhone, but I am so afraid of that bill. AT&T doesn't come cheap and it seems like all of their rate plans are just exorbitant.

I was in the Apple Store (Willowbrook) yesterday and they seemed to have just normal traffic in and out of the store. I didn't see any lines per se (but you know they use those little handheld cash register dealies anyhow, so there is really no counter to speak of), but I can guarantee you there will be lines today.

There shouldn't be much in the way of lines because people were able to pre-order online and schedule pick-up times this time around.

I am REALLY considering getting this version of the iPhone, but I am so afraid of that bill. AT&T doesn't come cheap and it seems like all of their rate plans are just exorbitant.

Yeah, iPhone on-contract plans for AT&T don't come cheap. I have the cheapest one for my original iPhone and it runs about $70/month for 400 anytime minutes, 200 texts, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited calls to other AT&T folk, and unlimited data. The 3G and 3GS plans are $5-10 more, but you can mitigate that by dropping the text messaging plan if you're just an e-mailer like me.

Of course, the other option is to go contractless. I went to that phone plan comparison site being pumped in the T-Mobile ads, and it said the cheapest plan for me would be on AT&T - very limited talk and text, but unlimited data for around $34/month. But, again, to get the lower rate you have to be at the end of your AT&T contract, or not sign up for one in the first place (and eat the full cost of the phone up front).

There shouldn't be much in the way of lines because people were able to pre-order online and schedule pick-up times this time around.

Yeah, iPhone on-contract plans for AT&T don't come cheap. I have the cheapest one for my original iPhone and it runs about $70/month for 400 anytime minutes, 200 texts, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited calls to other AT&T folk, and unlimited data. The 3G and 3GS plans are $5-10 more, but you can mitigate that by dropping the text messaging plan if you're just an e-mailer like me.

Of course, the other option is to go contractless. I went to that phone plan comparison site being pumped in the T-Mobile ads, and it said the cheapest plan for me would be on AT&T - very limited talk and text, but unlimited data for around $34/month. But, again, to get the lower rate you have to be at the end of your AT&T contract, or not sign up for one in the first place (and eat the full cost of the phone up front).

Would you happen to know what site that is? I would love to take a look and see about it. I probably wouldn't mind eating the cost of the phone up front as I am planning on selling my iPod touch to offset some of the cost anyhow. I really don't want the AT&T contract (even though I am perfectly happy with AT&T u-Verse but again, no contrat). I just think it's high and when/if Verizon gets the iPhone I want to be able to consider them as I am sure it will bring pricing in line for AT&T. Oh, that and the fact that I am PERFECTLY happy with the $57/month I pay for unlimited everything with Cricket.

People talk badly about them, but it has spoiled me in terms of rates.

Here's a video showing the faster web page loading speed of the 3GS versus the 3G. You should see an even more dramatic improvement from your Touch.

Would you happen to know what site that is? I would love to take a look and see about it. I probably wouldn't mind eating the cost of the phone up front as I am planning on selling my iPod touch to offset some of the cost anyhow. I really don't want the AT&T contract (even though I am perfectly happy with AT&T u-Verse but again, no contrat). I just think it's high and when/if Verizon gets the iPhone I want to be able to consider them as I am sure it will bring pricing in line for AT&T. Oh, that and the fact that I am PERFECTLY happy with the $57/month I pay for unlimited everything with Cricket.

People talk badly about them, but it has spoiled me in terms of rates.

The site is Bill Shrink. It's an independent site that helps people choose credit cards, phone plans and other things. T-Mobile's recent ad campaign points people to Bill Shrink, presumably, because it often picks T-Mobile as the lowest cost. It didn't for my specific needs, but my needs are not always all that common.

If you're buying the iPhone up front, you also have the option of going with a pre-paid AT&T plan. Being a Cricket person, that may be very appealing to you. Rates vary by geography, so check with your local AT&T store or web site.

Having AT&T's U-Verse also adds another dimension. Combining your iPhone and U-Verse billing could get you reduced U-Verse rates. A couple of months ago I combined my iPhone and AT&T DSL billing and got $20/month off of my DSL rate so I end up with 6 MBit for $15/month naked, no land line. I wouldn't be surprised to see you get $20 or so off your U-Verse bill if you combine. But you have to combine by calling AT&T's 800 number after you get your iPhone, they can't do it for you in the store.

Do we have an App review thread.. place to share your favorite apps and your thoughts on it..

I could have swore we had this thread up already... but i cant find it.

I'll start one if we dont.. but i just wanted someone else to verify for me if that thread exists already.

Do we have an App review thread.. place to share your favorite apps and your thoughts on it..

I could have swore we had this thread up already... but i cant find it.

I'll start one if we dont.. but i just wanted someone else to verify for me if that thread exists already.

I don't recall ever seeing one. Feel free to start it.

Got mine this morning, about 100+ people at the Galleria at opening, check out my fb profile for photos.

I originally wrote July 19th in my last post, but I meant June 19th. But I am sure everyone has figured that out by now. :P

And the loading time for the 3GS is quite a bit faster than the 3G, I am impressed. But I still refuse to pay $700 to get a new phone.

I originally wrote July 19th in my last post, but I meant June 19th. But I am sure everyone has figured that out by now. :P

And the loading time for the 3GS is quite a bit faster than the 3G, I am impressed. But I still refuse to pay $700 to get a new phone.

Just wait a year or two and it will slide down to become the $99 model when the new ones come out. There are always new ones.

Archived