Apple iPhone

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Needs a QWERTY keypad... needs a QWERTY keypad... needs a QWERTY keypad... it can be done (look at the Verizon LG Voyager). You Apple lovers may say otherwise - but it's the truth. Just like mac desktops and notebooks that need SD card readers... you pay all that money - but no keypad, no readers. Not sure if I like Steve Jobs' vision of what makes a good product (the products look nice). I am in awe of the mac equipment that my friends have, but when I go to seriously look at buying any of it... after reading and looking at the products more closely I can't get past the "hey, wait a minute... it doesn't have..." a keypad, card reader, DVD ROM, etc. and they want how much? Put it back on the shelf.

All that said... I do like the

... =)

I was using my niece's iPod Touch over the weekend and I didn't like the keypad. The main problem is that my fingers are big and I felt like I had to hit to the left of where my eye actualy sees the letter. That and the fact that I think the device would be much better if they changed the orientation to landscape for things like email. Having it stuck in vertical position is not that great.

Seems like it could be an easy software upgrade?

I agree, a landscape keypad would be nice (for some reason you only get that in safari), but after about 3 days you will get used to the keyboard the way it is (either my touch typing with one finger, or using both thumbs - slightly harder). For me it has become faster than typing on a blackberry, and way faster than typing on my old Nokia with a standard number pad.

Here's a tip: If you type and it choses the wrong key, slide your finger without releasing it to the correct key and then release your finger. You can use that to correct letters before you even type them.

I agree, a landscape keypad would be nice (for some reason you only get that in safari), but after about 3 days you will get used to the keyboard the way it is (either my touch typing with one finger, or using both thumbs - slightly harder). For me it has become faster than typing on a blackberry, and way faster than typing on my old Nokia with a standard number pad.

Here's a tip: If you type and it choses the wrong key, slide your finger without releasing it to the correct key and then release your finger. You can use that to correct letters before you even type them.

Okay, that is cool. So lemme ask an iPod Touch question ... do you think I'd be happy with 8GBs or should I hold out (aka saving up) for a 32GB version? I do not watch a lot of movies, but I do watch and listen to a fair amount of podcasts and would like to have it for wireless connectivity (email and web browsing). I just don't want to hate myself a year from now saying it's too small ... (we've all been there before :lol: ).

I was using my niece's iPod Touch over the weekend and I didn't like the keypad. The main problem is that my fingers are big and I felt like I had to hit to the left of where my eye actualy sees the letter. That and the fact that I think the device would be much better if they changed the orientation to landscape for things like email. Having it stuck in vertical position is not that great.

Seems like it could be an easy software upgrade?

It just takes some practice and technique, my paws are about as big as anyone, I had the blackjack before this and is take virtually the same technique. double thumbs using the tips.

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00076-1.jpg

The Black-Jack had a qwerty keypad and I am faster on the iPhone mainly because I am using it in smart mode and it finishes the word before I do, and you just hit the space bar and insert it.

Okay, that is cool. So lemme ask an iPod Touch question ... do you think I'd be happy with 8GBs or should I hold out (aka saving up) for a 32GB version? I do not watch a lot of movies, but I do watch and listen to a fair amount of podcasts and would like to have it for wireless connectivity (email and web browsing). I just don't want to hate myself a year from now saying it's too small ... (we've all been there before :lol: ).

I thought all iPod Touches were 16 gig! I know mine is.

I think a QWERTY keypad, in landscape mode, with "smart mode" (e.g. like the LG Voyager), would blow away the iTouch method. Human hands need tactile feel. How many of us would want to replace our full-sized keyboards on our desktops, laptops with a flat iPhone-like touch screen, of the same size? It

I totally agree they need to upgrade it so you can turn it to landscape view just like you can the Safari pages. I really think it shouldn't be a big deal, I would think just software. It would then expand they keyboard area and possibly go full QWERTY. Save shifting up and down to numerics and symbols.

Wait a Minute! Did I just agree with BryanS? I better go take my temperature! ;)

Okay, that is cool. So lemme ask an iPod Touch question ... do you think I'd be happy with 8GBs or should I hold out (aka saving up) for a 32GB version? I do not watch a lot of movies, but I do watch and listen to a fair amount of podcasts and would like to have it for wireless connectivity (email and web browsing). I just don't want to hate myself a year from now saying it's too small ... (we've all been there before ).

My 8GB is just fine for me. I have iTunes set up to sync 7 gigs of music with it, and my smart playlist automatically choses which songs I have rated highly and haven't played in a week. Plus I have it sync another small manual playlist with whichever albums I am into at the time. The rest of my space I use for photos and a few podcasts. Since I don't expect to put my entire iTunes library (30 gigs) on it, having more space isn't a big deal, and I sync it every night so I always get new music. As for web browsing and email, you don't need a lot of space for that. I've got thousands of emails on my Mac in Mail.app and it only takes up like 250 megs. My iPhone has the latest 50 messages from my IMAP account folders showing up, so it doesn't really use that much space. I'm not sure how big the safari cache is, but a few hundred megs at most.

Of course more memory would be nice, especially when the development kit comes along and people start writing iPhone apps, but the 8 gig is enough for now. I'm not in a rush to upgrade. I'm not sure how big a typical iPhone app will be but for simple things that I will use (an IM client for example, I am guessing well under 10 megs).

My 8GB is just fine for me. I have iTunes set up to sync 7 gigs of music with it, and my smart playlist automatically choses which songs I have rated highly and haven't played in a week. Plus I have it sync another small manual playlist with whichever albums I am into at the time. The rest of my space I use for photos and a few podcasts. Since I don't expect to put my entire iTunes library (30 gigs) on it, having more space isn't a big deal, and I sync it every night so I always get new music. As for web browsing and email, you don't need a lot of space for that. I've got thousands of emails on my Mac in Mail.app and it only takes up like 250 megs. My iPhone has the latest 50 messages from my IMAP account folders showing up, so it doesn't really use that much space. I'm not sure how big the safari cache is, but a few hundred megs at most.

Of course more memory would be nice, especially when the development kit comes along and people start writing iPhone apps, but the 8 gig is enough for now. I'm not in a rush to upgrade. I'm not sure how big a typical iPhone app will be but for simple things that I will use (an IM client for example, I am guessing well under 10 megs).

Yeah, I feel you. I mostly watch video podcasts, listen to a few tunes (not all that many) and listen to podcastst. I would like it more for the email, replacement for a laptop when all I want to do is browse the web and send messages.

But there is always that thing in the back of my mind that says I might need more space.

I don't mind the shifting for the keyboard features, but in my hands I would feel better by having some things landscape mode.

I have since had it deactivated, but when I had the iphone the virtual keyboard didn't bother me at all. It took five minutes or so to get used to, but after that I never gave it a thought. To me it is hard to see how it bothers people.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised to report that the assisted GPS geolocation feature works very well in Istanbul, even with data roaming turned off. Not as good as at home, but my location is correct to within about a quarter mile. It would probably be better with data turned on.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend at work just bought an iTouch and I was using the maps feature. Not sure how they do it (something with IP triangulation?) and it works reasonably well too. It is not pinpoint accurate, but you get an idea of where you are.

The Touch uses triangulation from the wifi base stations it can see. The iPhone uses a combination of wifi base station and cell phone tower triangulation. It appears the more points of data it has to work with, the more accurate the map location is.

The data is collected by another company that drives around the country with cars equipped with GPS loggers and cell phone and wifi receivers.

In my apartment, the circle is about four block wide, and the center is about a block off of where I am. I assume that it's working only with cell phone towers because at my height, wifi routers aren't sniffable from the ground (and vice versa or I'd have free internet).

When I was in the suburbs on Thursday, the location circle was only a block wide and located me perfectly in the restaurant where I was eating. I assume it was using both GSM and wifi data.

When i was in Turkey, the location circle was about a mile wide, but I'm impressed it worked there at all. I don't know if it was working with both GSM and wifi data or not. Both could be possible since when I tested it I was in a Starbucks at a mall filled with Turk Telekom hotspots.

• 1 month later...
Ah, it's about time ... but will it be enough to pull me away from my IPod Touch with WiFi and my cheap but handy Cricket SLVR with unlimited minutes and text...?

Probably not, since you already have the best of both worlds. Most of the new iPhone 2.0 applications should work fine on your Touch, and you already have phone service you're happy with, so I don't see a reason to switch.

I've seen rumors saying the new iPhone will be thicker, and I've seen rumors saying the new iPhone will be thinner. I'm hoping for thinner so that my wife won't start bugging me for a new one.

T-Mobile's 3G network goes live tomorrow, and this finally explains why Apple went with AT&T.

The iPhone had to be GSM so it would work around the world, so the only choices for American rollout were AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T's 3G network is already online in many markets and will be ready for the new 3G iPhone when it's released this summer.

T-Mobile's 3G network goes online tomorrow and will be... wait for it... voice only. What's the point of having an HSDPA cell phone if your network restricts your data transfer to GPRS or Edge?

I read last year that Apple offered the iPhone to T-Mobile, but that T-Mobile passed. AT&T has since made two billion dollars off the iPhone. I hope someone at T-Mobile got fired for making that decision.

Now I hope someone at T-Mobile gets fired for stringing its customers along for three years with promises of 3G, then using non-standard frequencies, and then making it voice-only.

I used to love T-Mobile. Now I'm really glad I'm no longer a customer. It's like being in an abusive relationship.

Archived