Gulfgate Mall History

Ashikaga

I could swear there was a National Shirt Shop there

and I know there was a J R Riggings mens clothing store at the center. The display windows were extended out as in that good photo and were elevated up so that passerby's could get a good view of all the latest Disco style clothes! Ha, ha, ha, ha... Staying alive! :lol:

Oh man, now I can picture the Kinney Shoes windows with the 3 inch (Stacy Adam's) men's platform shoes. Torture but if you didn't own some, you were a sap. Try dancing in them. Killer

46_2.JPG

Yes, when I was in high school back in the 1970s, the high heel was in vogue. But I remember the heel being high, not the sole (I was always a "heel" back in high school; I had many "arch" enemies).

I saw a pair of two-tone Giorgio Brutini shoes on ShoeBuy.com I'd like to buy that looks like those (without the elevation, of course).

• 3 months later...
I could swear there was a National Shirt Shop there

and I know there was a J R Riggings mens clothing store at the center. The display windows were extended out as in that good photo and were elevated up so that passerby's could get a good view of all the latest Disco style clothes! Ha, ha, ha, ha... Staying alive! :lol:

Oh man, now I can picture the Kinney Shoes windows with the 3 inch (Stacy Adam's) men's platform shoes. Torture but if you didn't own some, you were a sap. Try dancing in them. Killer

46_2.JPG

I found a couple of photos:

post-5880-1208202426_thumb.jpg

post-5880-1208202435_thumb.jpg

Anybody know what happened to the big tenty things on the HEB?

i asked a few weeks ago, they said during the week that we had the abnormally high winds one of the supports at the top suddenly collapsed. luckily no one on the ground was hurt. they said that they had already ordered a new tent as a replacement.

I found a couple of photos:

Now that was a good pic of the old theater!

Wish we had interiors. I recall it had a very modern over head light fixture/s. Lobby was nicely carpeted and the screen or stage was curvature and white colored made for those Cine-rama movies.

Had great sound too, that's why the Midnight Movies played so many concert films. Neil Young's - Rust Never Sleeps & Pink Floyd's -The Wall was one of the last I personally saw there. :)

PS, you would always see kids rolling down that steep embankment in front.

• 1 year later...

Neat! It's so weird to see the devolution - Gulfgate and Meyerland come to mind. Both mid-century open air malls, and now both turned inside out where everything's open to the parking lot with no internal area.

I've researched the design of Gulfgate for years., was modeled after Northgate, in Seattle. The link below lists the date for Gulfgate as 1962, this is incorrect, should be an earlier date, 1950's.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?Displ...amp;file_id=140

article from yr. 1991: <a href="http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910130&slug=1263490" target="_blank">http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...mp;slug=1263490</a>

I loved the old Gulfgate design, was unusual because of the terrain, was very hilly. There is a Cite article about it that I would love to get my hands on.

The service trucks entered through the mysterious tunnels, the mall was visually pleasing from every angle. There was round the clock maintenance, for instance, the plants were all watered & maintained in the wee hours of the night/ morning. Hated to see it go.

Thnx Chips for the link to Bayou City History.

The pics are cool, the mall was covered by the time I started going there, sometime in the 1960's.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 months later...

When we went to Gulfgate Shopping Center back in the early 1960s, I remember going down some stairs to an underground bowling alley. I also remember my mother buying groceries in a Weingarten's store which was located at the end on the center next to Woodridge (I think that was the name of that side street). I can also remember going into a Newberry's store which was at the end of the center where a pedestrian bridge that traversed IH-610 from a movie theatre was.

Does anyone out there have any updated information on Gulfgate, such as if any of those old store from 40 years ago are still there or not?

Chet Cuccia

IT OPENED IN 1957, THE SAME YEAR MY SISTER WAS BORN--LIKE ONE POSTER SAID--IT WAS REDONE BY THE SAME PEOPLE THAT REFURBISH MEYERLAND

Are you saying that it's called Meyerland Plaza and not Gulfgate Mall as I heard?

Chet Cuccia

GULFGATE IS BORDERED BY WOODRIDGE, I-45 AND 610 AND STILL EXISTS THERE--------MEYERLAND IS ON 610 AND BISSONET I THINK, NEAR THE GALLERIA-----------TWO DIFFERENT SHOPPING MALLS

• 4 weeks later...

One of my aunts lived over off of South Park Blvd. (MLK now) When we'd go visit her, the big thing was to drive by Gulfgate too. This entire area was vastly different in the late fifties and early sixties. I well remember the two dime stores, two shoe stores, Sakowitz and I think Joske's was an original store too. I know it was an early one, if not one of the firsts. The women's restroom (lounge) in Joske's was huge, with chairs to sit in. My dad bought me a mouton coat at that store. One of his few concessions to allowing me to follow the fads.

I've wondered if the little umbrella was on the original sign before the mall was covered? I thought that it was added after making Gulfgate an "all weather" shopping experience. Meyerland and Gulfgate both were built open air and when it was raining, the trick was to dash in and out of the stores without getting too soaked.

Seems life went full circle for me. I graduated high school, moved away then back again and ultimately married a guy who lived in Houston's east end. We bought our first child's baby bed at ABC furniture in Gulfgate. Attended Boy Scout Pinewood Derby races there. My youngest, at five, bought me a coffee cup with 'Mom' on it at MacFrugals there. Took my kids to the cinema to see "Jungle Book". Now, I shop at HEB, Staples, and bank nearby. Yes, Gulfgate has changed but I'm very glad I live in this area.

Thanks to all for the photos....wish there were more. Does anyone remember early Palm Center? Didn't it predate Gulfgate and Meyerland both?

Newberry's was on one side, remember the soda fountain-restaurant, and dime store kind-of merchandise. There was another store similar to it, directly across from it (don't recall it having a soda fountain). Grant's maybe? Remember going down the stairs, into the 2nd basement level in that one. Walgreen's had a soda fountain-restaurant, too, with window booths.

The land across the bridge was originally slated for a medical center/ doctor's offices (like it's slightly older sister-mall, Northgate, in Seattle). Didn't happen, they built a movie theater, instead.

"Does anyone remember early Palm Center? Didn't it predate Gulfgate and Meyerland both?"

Palm Center did open before Gulfgate - maybe in early '50s? Seems like Pennys & Oshmans were anchor stores but there may have been others.

"Newberry's was on one side, remember the soda fountain-restaurant, and dime store kind-of merchandise. There was another store similar to it, directly across from it (don't recall it having a soda fountain). Grant's maybe?"

Grants was across from Newberrys, with another entrance on front (parking lot side), as I remember it - near entrance to Picadilly Cafeteria? I think Grants & Newberrys had more than dime store stuff but most of what they had was pretty cheap.

I bought many a pair of Levi 501s at Joskes for $3.95 - in late '50s/early '60s. Rented a tux at "Rex the Tailor" for senior prom. Those of us who couldn't afford Stacy Adams & Stetson shoes were stuck with Flagg Bros. or Thom McAns (seems like stores were right next door to one another) at $8.95 a pair. There was also Bonds Clothing & National Shirt Shop, same area as shoe stores?

"Does anyone remember early Palm Center? Didn't it predate Gulfgate and Meyerland both?"

Palm Center did open before Gulfgate - maybe in early '50s? Seems like Pennys & Oshmans were anchor stores but there may have been others.

"Newberry's was on one side, remember the soda fountain-restaurant, and dime store kind-of merchandise. There was another store similar to it, directly across from it (don't recall it having a soda fountain). Grant's maybe?"

Grants was across from Newberrys, with another entrance on front (parking lot side), as I remember it - near entrance to Picadilly Cafeteria? I think Grants & Newberrys had more than dime store stuff but most of what they had was pretty cheap.

I bought many a pair of Levi 501s at Joskes for $3.95 - in late '50s/early '60s. Rented a tux at "Rex the Tailor" for senior prom. Those of us who couldn't afford Stacy Adams & Stetson shoes were stuck with Flagg Bros. or Thom McAns (seems like stores were right next door to one another) at $8.95 a pair. There was also Bonds Clothing & National Shirt Shop, same area as shoe stores?

I remember Palm Center, on O.S.T. I believe it opened in 1955 and was the first, or one of the first, "shopping centers" in Houston.

• 1 month later...

One of my aunts lived over off of South Park Blvd. (MLK now) When we'd go visit her, the big thing was to drive by Gulfgate too. This entire area was vastly different in the late fifties and early sixties. I well remember the two dime stores, two shoe stores, Sakowitz and I think Joske's was an original store too. I know it was an early one, if not one of the firsts. The women's restroom (lounge) in Joske's was huge, with chairs to sit in. My dad bought me a mouton coat at that store. One of his few concessions to allowing me to follow the fads.

I've wondered if the little umbrella was on the original sign before the mall was covered? I thought that it was added after making Gulfgate an "all weather" shopping experience. Meyerland and Gulfgate both were built open air and when it was raining, the trick was to dash in and out of the stores without getting too soaked.

Seems life went full circle for me. I graduated high school, moved away then back again and ultimately married a guy who lived in Houston's east end. We bought our first child's baby bed at ABC furniture in Gulfgate. Attended Boy Scout Pinewood Derby races there. My youngest, at five, bought me a coffee cup with 'Mom' on it at MacFrugals there. Took my kids to the cinema to see "Jungle Book". Now, I shop at HEB, Staples, and bank nearby. Yes, Gulfgate has changed but I'm very glad I live in this area.

Thanks to all for the photos....wish there were more. Does anyone remember early Palm Center? Didn't it predate Gulfgate and Meyerland both?

I'm under the impression that this picture is Gulfgate today. Maybe someone can confirm if it is or it isn't.

Gulfgate.JPG

Hi there. I dont seem to remember a Newberry's. sad.gif

You can see it on the left

Gulfgate+Mall_Houston.jpg

http://mall-hall-of-...01_archive.html

there is a recent pic of Gulfgate here.

BTW - what kind of flooring was used on the original outdoor Gulfgate? looks like some kind of small tilework.

I only remember the polished ones (they were always so clean) when it was enclosed.

Edited by NenaE

http://mall-hall-of-...01_archive.html

there is a recent pic of Gulfgate here.

BTW - what kind of flooring was used on the original outdoor Gulfgate? looks like some kind of small tilework.

I only remember the polished ones (they were always so clean) when it was enclosed.

Thanks. I remember Playhouse Toys and Gulfgate Lanes, which was an underground bowling alley. I found some other old photos. Yes, even though the floor is outside, it is made of some kind of tiles.

gulfgate6.jpg

gulfgate5.jpg

If you look closely to the left, you can see Joske's and Sakowitz:

i45_gulfgate_10-1958.jpg

You can tell by the cars that this was in the 1950s. In the 1960s, a two-screen movie theatre was on the south side of IH-610. Does anyone know what was there when this photo was taken?

gulfgate1.jpg

Hey, there's the fountain I've been looking for, in Juan's last post, pic 2, behind the shoppers. Thnx, it wasn't like the other tall tile fountains. It was made with aluminum, steel ,??? At least three tiers, and sat lower to the ground. Was located at the intersection of the three major hallways, plaza area. Yeah, I remember Joske's close by.

I don't think anything was located on the land at the end of the bridge, before the theater was built. Probably just a parking area, for a while. The original plans called for a doctor's office bldg., don't know why the plan changed.

Hey, there's the fountain I've been looking for, in Juan's last post, pic 2, behind the shoppers. Thnx, it wasn't like the other tall tile fountains. It was made with aluminum, steel ,??? At least three tiers, and sat lower to the ground. Was located at the intersection of the three major hallways, plaza area. Yeah, I remember Joske's close by.

I don't think anything was located on the land at the end of the bridge, before the theater was built. Probably just a parking area, for a while. The original plans called for a doctor's office bldg., don't know why the plan changed.

I asked that because in that picture it looks like some kind of building is on the other side. If my memories serves me correctly, that movie theatre was built sometime in the late 1960s/1970s. I remember people were amazed that there was a "TWO-SCREEN THEATRE!"

I think this is it. Someone out there can feel free to confirm it or not.

MARQUEE2.JPG

Is this the inside of it?

MULTI_GALLERIA.jpg

And here's another old photo showing the back side of the Weingarten's sign. My mom bought her groceries there. And I think that "ABC" was a hobby store which sold model airplanes, cars, etc.

PostGulfgate1.jpg

You're right...it's only been 43 years since I was last there. I'm glad I can remember a street name that's close by. rolleyes.gif

I just realized that I might have lost my sense of direction. This photo might have been taken from the side that the movie theatre was later built on and that the building in the background might be the Newberry's store that you'd be in front of when you'd come off of the walking bridge. Yes, and I think that might be Gulf Freeway in the right background.

gulfgate1.jpg

http://pleasantfamil...=general+cinema

would have looked a lot like the second and third pics, here, with a huge, tall lobby, with paintings in it. Was 1965 when opened, no earth tones yet. That b/w pic is the galleria one.

http://pleasantfamil...-cinema_27.html

see second design.

architect: William Reisman

Edited by NenaE

• 3 weeks later...

yes palm center was on griggs near cananaugh.........it predated all of the future malls in houston. it now belongs to hcc as the southeast campus i think.

here's a link to telwink's postcard of Gulfgate: http://www.flickr.co...57603570060893/

It's a very early one, notice the trees around Plum Creek, and the drive-in theater. The General Cinema theaters were not built until the '60's, what was there in this pic?

That's the Winkler Drive-In Theatre. We went there when I was about 4 or 5 years old. It was located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. I found out that a Home Depot store is on that spot of land today.

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/txtwink