Gulfgate Mall History

Ashikaga

Was the record store Pickwick Music back then? I recall that's what it was called back in '79 or so.

I am pretty sure that was the name. There was another record store at the bowling entrance (east side) of the mall. My friend worked there gave me a free Saturday Night Fever & Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind album (with a promotional disco version of the theme). Still have!

I clearly recall JR Riggings mens store where I would by most of my Night at the Roxbury threads. Platform shoes were going away by then though! I still tease my cousin after all these years that we busted him buying an "ABBA" album at Pickwick Records. He could have burned me if he knew I had that Saturday Night Fever album! :P

I am pretty sure that was the name. There was another record store at the bowling entrance (east side) of the mall. My friend worked there gave me a free Saturday Night Fever & Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind album (with a promotional disco version of the theme). Still have!

I clearly recall JR Riggings mens store where I would by most of my Night at the Roxbury threads. Platform shoes were going away by then though! I still tease my cousin after all these years that we busted him buying an "ABBA" album at Pickwick Records. He could have burned me if he knew I had that Saturday Night Fever album! :P

LOL, all you need is the big hair to match the butterfly collar! j/k, of course! :)

I worked at the Gulfgate Cinema a couple of summers in 70 thru 73. I was working there when M.A.S.H. premiered, also Dirty Harry and McQ.. We traded movie passes for food at the deli by the Weingartens I think it was called Mises'. Later I worked for Joskes at the Post Oak store in the early 80s but would fill in for the Credit Manager at the Gulfgate store when she would go on vacation. My senior ring came from the Zales there. A friend of mine drove a 64 Dart and he would drive it through the tunnel under the mall at night. Ahh memories of our youth.

joe

Mom bought all our school clothes at Sakowitz and Joskes. The store I liked best was Playhouse Toys. It had that wonderful new toy smell. I can still smell it. I persuaded mom to get me a skateboard when I was 13 about 1970. We got it at Playhouse and I still have it. Maybe I should contact the Smithsonian. lol. It was about 15 inches long, 6 inches wide and made of thick wood with chicago wheels. You remember the pink wheels like on the old rollerskates. She would by candy from Russel Stover for our easter baskets. I remember one Saturday they had a band playing in the middle of the mall and they had long hair so I thought it was the Beatles. Ahhh youth. I loved that mall.

• 1 month later...
Mom bought all our school clothes at Sakowitz and Joskes. The store I liked best was Playhouse Toys. It had that wonderful new toy smell. I can still smell it. I persuaded mom to get me a skateboard when I was 13 about 1970. We got it at Playhouse and I still have it. Maybe I should contact the Smithsonian. lol. It was about 15 inches long, 6 inches wide and made of thick wood with chicago wheels. You remember the pink wheels like on the old rollerskates. She would by candy from Russel Stover for our easter baskets. I remember one Saturday they had a band playing in the middle of the mall and they had long hair so I thought it was the Beatles. Ahhh youth. I loved that mall.

I was 12 in 1970, so you and I might have crossed paths there at Gulfgate. I was there in the early 1960s. Yes, I remember Playhouse Toys very well. But my mom would tell me that we couldn't go into Joske's and Sakowitz because those stores were for rich people. I lived just down from where Old Galveston Road intersects Park Place Boulevard. I can still smell and hear the popcorn popping in Newberry's. As you said, Ahhh youth!

I loved that mall. Worked in National Shirt Shop in the summer of 1970, then Graham's Men and Boys from Christmas of 1970 every summer and holiday until about 1976 - whenever it closed.

I remember one whole day at the mall - I think I was all of 13, my Mom dropped me and my best friend off when it opened. We had lunch at either Woolworth's or Joske's, and I bought my first pair of penny loafer's at Baker's. They gave me the shiney pennies to put in them. I felt like I was a grown up. Then we walked across the bridge to see a movie - don't remember which one. Then we came back and went to Newberry's for makeup - even though I wasn't supposed to wear any until I turned 15!

I loved that mall. Worked in National Shirt Shop in the summer of 1970, then Graham's Men and Boys from Christmas of 1970 every summer and holiday until about 1976 - whenever it closed.

I remember one whole day at the mall - I think I was all of 13, my Mom dropped me and my best friend off when it opened. We had lunch at either Woolworth's or Joske's, and I bought my first pair of penny loafer's at Baker's. They gave me the shiney pennies to put in them. I felt like I was a grown up. Then we walked across the bridge to see a movie - don't remember which one. Then we came back and went to Newberry's for makeup - even though I wasn't supposed to wear any until I turned 15!

The stores that I personally remember are Newberry's, Playhouse Toys, Weingarten's, Joske's, Sakowitz, Grant's, and the underground bowling alley. I don't remember Woolworth's in Gulfgate.

• 2 months later...
I wonder if the sun on the new Gulfgate signs are meant as some acknowledgement or a contrast of the old umbrella. The umbrella (now) representing a dark rainy day (the old Gulfgate) to a sun, representing a sunny new day (the new Gulfgate). Am I reading too much into it?

The umbrella was probably added as a "happy touch" with not necessarily any inherent meaning behind it. I guess that the designers thought that it would be better than simply the word "Gulfgate."

This thread caught my eye because that sign brings back many pleasant memories.

• 3 weeks later...

When they were putting in the metro station where the old theater used to be, I was saddened. But being an opportunist, I asked for permission to metal detect where the hill used to be that we kids used to roll down toward the feeder road. They were teraing it out and leveling the thing. I had a day before they put up the fences. I found $15 in silver coinage from the 40s thru 60s, lots of clad coinage, and some miscellaneous junk jewelry, one hotwheel, and a high school ring from 1966, Jones I think, it was bent and the stone was missing. Tons of pop tops and pull tabs as usual. It was one of my best days ever metal detecting, and knowing what went on at that site to empty pockets (rolling down hills does that) and knowing exactly where we all would land made a banner day!

Edited by yak23flora

• 4 months later...

I'm wondering if anyone knows about an underground bar that was located at Gulfgate Mall?

I worked at the mall around 1989/90 and when we took out the trash for the day we would unlock a door within our tenant space, walk down two levels of stairs, unlock another door and come out in a long hallway that lead to a dock where the trash was picked up. Off this hallway were several rooms which held old storage racks and mannequins for other stores. There was one door down there that had signage indicating that it was a bar. Maybe it was at some point, but I can't remember ever seeing patrons down there. As if the old mannaquins weren't creepy enough, on our trip down we were faced with cobwebs, one or two lights flickering and a terrible sewage stench. My employer (The Limited) made us walk in pairs to take the trash out.

The Limited's location was near the center of the mall. I don't think that this supposed bar would have anything to do with the bowling alley.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this bar or these creepy areas beneath the mall?

• Like 1

I was a constant visitor to that mall, and the only underground component I can recall was the bowling alley you mentioned. i was young at the time, so I don't remember if they sold beer or liquor there.

It could be that a group of employees "created" a bar downstairs during their off hours. As weird as that mall was, I wouldn't doubt if that was the case. The popular hangout for quite a few employees (and local high schoolers) was Spanky's across the street.

I'm wondering if anyone knows about an underground bar that was located at Gulfgate Mall?

I worked at the mall around 1989/90 and when we took out the trash for the day we would unlock a door within our tenant space, walk down two levels of stairs, unlock another door and come out in a long hallway that lead to a dock where the trash was picked up. Off this hallway were several rooms which held old storage racks and mannequins for other stores. There was one door down there that had signage indicating that it was a bar. Maybe it was at some point, but I can't remember ever seeing patrons down there. As if the old mannaquins weren't creepy enough, on our trip down we were faced with cobwebs, one or two lights flickering and a terrible sewage stench. My employer (The Limited) made us walk in pairs to take the trash out.

The Limited's location was near the center of the mall. I don't think that this supposed bar would have anything to do with the bowling alley.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this bar or these creepy areas beneath the mall?

Take a look at all subjects under East End. There are several that discuss the bowling alley. It was big and very crowded had several or at least one big bar. Those flight of stairs leading up/down were a consant flow of visitors. There were always tournaments, parties, etc. People were always waiting outside the top of the stairs for car rides and stuff, including me when I worked as a teen at Wilson's Jeweler's in the mall. My last visit inside the bowling alley was funny enough having a few cold ones at that bar around 1981. It closed shortly after. Could you imagine a bowling alley there now? Not. :(

Gulfgate got some air time yesterday on channel 13, a piece on the East End mgmt district and Precint 6 partnership to put in a storefront and patrols, resulting in the lowest crime incidence of any mall in Houston. I don't know if there should be some distinction between a 'mall', like the Galleria or Memorial City, and a shopping center, like Gulfgate. And, wouldn't it be much easier to manage crime in surface lots than parking garages?

Greenspoint, to no one's surpise, topped the list. Don't they have an HPD storefront inside the mall? Perhaps they don't have patrols.

Edited by crunchtastic
  • Like 1

Back in the late 1950's and early 60's there was a club called the"Club Gulfgate". It was in the days that you could not sell mixed drinks unless you were a private club so everyone would have to have a "membership". It was underground basically across the parking lot from the bowling alley. My Dad was the manager of the Singer Sewing Machine Co. store so I spent a lot of time at Gulfgate. There also was a music store called Holland Music and I took guitar lessons there that were given in the basement. I remember my parents going to hear one of our relatives, Smokey Wood, known as the "Houston Hipster" play piano in the club.

• Like 2

I noticed driving by the Marq-E the other day that they placed one of these "police satellite locations"...now all they need are all the stores that left already

And on the note of the actual topic, I'm not from the area, but I'm sure the bar was part of the bowling alley like others previously stated

Back in the late 1950's and early 60's there was a club called the"Club Gulfgate". It was in the days that you could not sell mixed drinks unless you were a private club so everyone would have to have a "membership". It was underground basically across the parking lot from the bowling alley. My Dad was the manager of the Singer Sewing Machine Co. store so I spent a lot of time at Gulfgate. There also was a music store called Holland Music and I took guitar lessons there that were given in the basement. I remember my parents going to hear one of our relatives, Smokey Wood, known as the "Houston Hipster" play piano in the club.

Thanks for the information. "Club Gulfgate" could have well been the space that I was trying to get information on. Like I said, I don't believe that this particular area in question had anything to do with the bowling alley. There was some distance from the bowling alley to where our tenant space was located (more near where they set up the kid's train inside the mall).

Since we are on the subject of Gulfgate underground, the loading dock they had going under the whole center was very large. I vaguely recall going down the elevator to loading dock under Wilson's Jeweler's Dept Store where I worked and watching delivery truck pull up. The dock was very big and I never got to see how far or deep it went under the mall. Now seems very mysterious to think about.

Wish others that commented about Gulfgate could solve this delivery/time tunnel mystery? :ph34r:

The tunnel under the mall went to all the stores. There were three entrance/exits. One was by 610/Holmes Road basically right under the bridge to the movie theatres. Another was next to the lower level of Joskees and looked like it went right under Sakowitz. The third and final entrance was behind the old Weingartens next to the bank. They all connected under the mall and had loading docks for all the stores. Also included in the underground portion of the mall was a bowling alley, Dentist offices, an auditorium, and several stores actually had part of their stores down there. Grants had a downstairs, Joskees had a lower level, and I think the banks vault was down there. Weingartens restrooms were also on the lower level. One of my favorite places was Mize's bakery and sandwich shop. It was a really small place wedged between Weingartens and the Bank. THey made great sandwiches and I ate there a lot when I worked at Joskees.

Since we are on the subject of Gulfgate underground, the loading dock they had going under the whole center was very large. I vaguely recall going down the elevator to loading dock under Wilson's Jeweler's Dept Store where I worked and watching delivery truck pull up. The dock was very big and I never got to see how far or deep it went under the mall. Now seems very mysterious to think about.

Wish others that commented about Gulfgate could solve this delivery/time tunnel mystery? :ph34r:

The tunnel was one way and started on the side of Sakowits and came out under the Gulfgate sign by the pedestrian overpass. In between the were loading docks for all the major stores and some of the small ones. It could accomadate a large box truck. I don't remember but I don't think it was big enough for 18 wheelers. We would lose people when playing cb hide and seek and other chase games back in the 70s by going under the tunnel and coming out on the 610 feeder do a quick u turn and going 610 or 45 south.

joe

joe

Thanks everyone!

Wouldn't it have seemed like somewhat of a man-made marvel in it's day, that this could have been built?

There must have been tons and tons of earth either moved or brought in to build this thing in what 1957-ish? The fact that Gulfgate was high above like a hilltop is what made it stand out. Just outside of the bowling alley doors (and Picadilly cafeteria) was that hill with a seperate little building which I assumed were admin offices for Gulfgate? or a credit union or something?

Gulfgate general offices were housed upstairs somewhere I think? Once in a rare moment you could see someone above all the shoppers. Mysterious offices they seemed. :ph34r: People or security gaurds appear out of nowhere especially above where Santa was seated below. That wide open seating area.

I remember calling the main offices every now to check for certain stores hours. Teenagers duties you know. Maybe offices were secret. :P

Thanks everyone!

Wouldn't it have seemed like somewhat of a man-made marvel in it's day, that this could have been built?

There must have been tons and tons of earth either moved or brought in to build this thing in what 1957-ish? The fact that Gulfgate was high above like a hilltop is what made it stand out.

and don't forget that Plum Creek was also burried under Gulfgate too.

and don't forget that Plum Creek was also burried under Gulfgate too.

That is bizarre. I think it was in an aerial pic someone posted in other topic. It was so strange not seeing a 610 there as well.

No one ever verified if the "live doberman's" running around inside Joskes (for security at night) was a myth or not? I heard that from big bro and many other people that grew here. Some on this forum claimed the same deal.

That is bizarre. I think it was in an aerial pic someone posted in other topic. It was so strange not seeing a 610 there as well.

No one ever verified if the "live doberman's" running around inside Joskes (for security at night) was a myth or not? I heard that from big bro and many other people that grew here. Some on this forum claimed the same deal.

I thought the "live dobermans" were in Sakowitz, not Joskees.

I thought I remember the toy department at Wilson (or was is Service) being in the basement.

My Mother worked for Joskees for 37 years and I can assure you the live dobermans were not in Joskees. However according to her they did have live dogs for security at Sakowitz. I remember when I was around 14 seeing the signs on the windows. It stated that the store was protected by dogs. I'm not sure if they were allowed to roam free or if the company that had the security contract actually had dogs. Kind of like the HPD canine (K-9) patrol cars do.

My Mother worked for Joskees for 37 years and I can assure you the live dobermans were not in Joskees. However according to her they did have live dogs for security at Sakowitz. I remember when I was around 14 seeing the signs on the windows. It stated that the store was protected by dogs. I'm not sure if they were allowed to roam free or if the company that had the security contract actually had dogs. Kind of like the HPD canine (K-9) patrol cars do.

I meant Sakowitz, sorry. So then it was true. What fueled the story was a popular film at the Cinema across the frwy around that time (1972). Called The Doberman Gang! Yowee!

dobgang002.jpg

I thought the "live dobermans" were in Sakowitz, not Joskees.

I thought I remember the toy department at Wilson (or was is Service) being in the basement.

There was a toy dept in the basement as customers came down the escalator it was to your left, however this was BEFORE it was Wilson's Jewelers. I still remember the day I heard from a girlfriend in HS that they were hiring. There was a big sign in front. In any case, Wilsons was a new concept. You saw an item you wanted to buy on the shelf or behind glass, jotted down the stock number on ticket, was sent down a clear chute (like at bank drive thru) we below hanging around opened the container and pulled the item off shelf. Then placed on an moving conveyor belt which carried the item up to the top where upon a clerk would ring up the customer. This crazy conveyor belt contraption was installed exactly on top of the former escalator. The whole basment pretty much became just the place to price items and stock on shelves, no more customers below. This new concept bit the dust after about 3 years? Then place became Service Merchandise. Will never forget how one of our managers got busted placing a big TV set in the tunnel for one of his buddies to come pick up, HPD was ready to pick them both up immediately after. Even security gaurds joined in the act. The place was pure lunacy, but funny considering it was the late 70's.

One of my favorite places was Mize's bakery and sandwich shop. It was a really small place wedged between Weingartens and the Bank. THey made great sandwiches and I ate there a lot when I worked at Joskees.

I always made a point of going to Mize's Bakery for a sandwich whenever I went to Gulfgate. They had some kind of steam heat contraption they would put the sandwich in to heat them up and melt the cheese. I guess it made the bread tastes fresher too. I wouldn't mind having one right now.

Edited by isuredid

• 2 weeks later...
Someone asked about a store called Grant's about a week or two ago. You can see one on the right hand part of this photo.

I remember businesses close together like these had distinctive smells. Newberry's had a popcorn smell. Thom McAn had a leather smell. Five & Dime stores like Grant's had the smell of cheap items. And if you walked past or into a bowling alley, you could smell hamburgers & beer, and you'd hear the distinctive sound of the balls rolling on the wooden floor, and the clatter of the pins falling down.

I could swear there was a National Shirt Shop there

and I know there was a J R Riggings mens clothing store at the center. The display windows were extended out as in that good photo and were elevated up so that passerby's could get a good view of all the latest Disco style clothes! Ha, ha, ha, ha... Staying alive! :lol:

Oh man, now I can picture the Kinney Shoes windows with the 3 inch (Stacy Adam's) men's platform shoes. Torture but if you didn't own some, you were a sap. Try dancing in them. Killer

46_2.JPG

Edited by Vertigo58