No More Jordy!

Apparently tomorrow (Monday, July 9) on the news at 10:

http://www.bloghouston.net/item/3663/catid/9

I'm not at that familiar with Jordy Tollett, but I haven't heard a lot of great things about him. Even people on here haven't spoken too fondly of him. Would someone care to elaborate? I'm interested.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

Apparently tomorrow (Monday, July 9) on the news at 10:

http://www.bloghouston.net/item/3663/catid/9

I'm not at that familiar with Jordy Tollett, but I haven't heard a lot of great things about him. Even people on here haven't spoken too fondly of him. Would someone care to elaborate? I'm interested.

Negative is a good thing. I don't evn know the guy, but from his job description it can tell that he has done nothing for Houston but hurt it and hold it back. Get rid of him and bring in a professional!

I am good friends with Jordy. Most of the negative that I've heard, come from people (like citykid) who have no idea what he does and what he has done for the City. Jordy has been around for years. He was the one that put together the City's portion of that successful Super Bowl that I read a lot of people bragging about. He also was instrumental in the MLB and NBA All Star Games coming off without a hitch.

That being said, Jordy is a colorful character. He is a cheerleader for Houston, and has been for decades. He is, to put it mildy, unorthodoxed. That is not exactly Bill White's style, as one can easily see. White (along with Bob Eckels) grabbed the Katrina evacuation by the horns and ran with it. He is a CEO. Jordy is not. It is not surprising if White looks at Jordy and thinks a more businesslike approach may work better.

I don't know what Channel 2's story will be. I know that they love their "Big Story", but seldom have substance. However, aside from them, if White chooses to move in a different direction, let us all hope that it is a change for the better, as opposed to change for change's sake. I respect both Jordy and Bill White, but I cannot think of two people more different.

Looks like it'll be related to drinking on the job. But you have to drink on this job. Typical Ch 2 queso.

I think the major complaint about Jordy is that he has been around for years.

You want experience in this job and the connections that come with it, but new blood is good, too.

Looks like it'll be related to drinking on the job. But you have to drink on this job. Typical Ch 2 queso.

I think the major complaint about Jordy is that he has been around for years.

You want experience in this job and the connections that come with it, but new blood is good, too.

Agreed. This is Convention Bureau head, not police chief. I understand the "familiarity breeds contempt" theory, and a new guy may bring new energy and direction to the job, but, if the best Channel 2 can do is say that the guy in charge of bringing parties and conventions to the city drinks likes to party, then the best I can say is "D'uh!"

Agreed. This is Convention Bureau head, not police chief. I understand the "familiarity breeds contempt" theory, and a new guy may bring new energy and direction to the job, but, if the best Channel 2 can do is say that the guy in charge of bringing parties and conventions to the city drinks likes to party, then the best I can say is "D'uh!"

Yeah really.

The best thing KPRC has going for it is Rachel McNeill--but I've said that already :blush:

I've always had mixed feelings about many investigative reports because I know the only true motivation is ratings and this one is a prime example of it. The motivation stinks to high heaven.

It looks like Jordy is taking some time to get some things together. Redscare, wish him luck.

Edited by VelvetJ

Great story by Channel 2, if it did anything, it showed what his "JOB" intels, and how it is supposed to be done. I personally think you need a character like him, to make people want to come to this city. If the head of the COnventions committee is THIS MUCH FUN, then the prospects have got to think that the rest of the city can't be too far behind. Who wants to talk about how YOUR convention is gonna be the GALA event of the year with some "stuffed shirt", showing you bar graphs, and being some tea sippin' granma. It just isn't believable. Jordy is a SALESMAN, in every sense of the word. No problems with the way he gets things handled, as long as he gets things handled. 5 months to prepare the "Essence Awards" and it still did ok.

BOO to Channel 2, going on a witchhunt for no reason other than it was a slow news day. ..l.,

Negative is a good thing. I don't evn know the guy, but from his job description it can tell that he has done nothing for Houston but hurt it and hold it back. Get rid of him and bring in a professional!

:blink:

What a blind statement. As far as Channel 2, I saw the story a couple of days ago, and I wanted to know what exactly were they going after.

What a sad, sad excuse for investigative reporting.

Ch 2 set him up.

It's clear White wants him out.

You notice White's little buddy, Ms. Carol Alvarado, was the first one who raised a stink about that sorry Essesense Festival.

Then the next day she says "Jordy is my friend and has to drink on the job".

I think we all know how this works.

Alvarado is White's poodle...

poodle.jpg

Edited by MidtownCoog

What a sad, sad excuse for investigative reporting.

Ch 2 set him up.

It's clear White wants him out.

You notice White's little buddy, Ms. Carol Alvarado, was the first one who raised a stink about that sorry Essesense Festival.

I think we all know how this works.

Anything to take attention off of her I guess. What a low-life !

wait...so, the job description is: promote houston, make the way clear for big parties, entertain party planners and then party with all of them. i'm so in. where do i sign up! ;)

personally, i think we could do better than jordy tollett; he was not opposed to the ugly neon aquarium downtown, nor the neon tower that was almost built on our front doorstep; also, he comes across as a used car salesman. i do not trust car salesmen of any kind. (that's sarcasm, i did not just jump the logic train.) i think we needed mr. tollett for the period he has served; however, i think it's time to upgrade. trade him in.

Mayor White will have you wearing a bow-tie and driving a Prius, and LIKING IT!

schultz.jpg

I will wear the tie in the office and I'll take the Prius, and swap in a V8 and have a John Daniel's whiskey dispenser installed after I get the SEMA show to come over here. Then I'll be like Shultz. ;):lol:

Edited by TJones

• 5 months later...

Gerard J. "Jordy" Tollett announced today that he is leaving his post as president and CEO of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau.

He said he has decided to pursue other ventures.

He will serve as a consultant until 2008.

Tollett's base salary is $206,000 a year.

Tollett doesn't need a job - he still earns $111,000 a year from his city pension. But this is a job he had wanted to keep, he said in November, because it defines him.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4433414.html

Yeah, Bill does some good things but there are some just general quality of life/social asthetics issues that he seems to just blow off or is oblivious to. For example, like the idea of instituting a weekend charge on meters downtown at a time when the city's trying to build off of momentum from downtown revitalization. Seems bassackwards to me. Give people more incentive to come downtown (since, in Houston, that means driving more than likely). Don't make it more of a turnoff.

We'll see, though. Many felt like Jordy had become a bit too comfortable in the positon anyway.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I've had to deal with Jordy on a few occasions. Was he becoming complacent with his job, and taking things for granted? One could make that argument. However, I don't know if getting rid of him was a smart move. At any rate, he seems to be taking it all in stride.

"It's a wonderful thing for them to let me continue to work with those whom I have had personal relationships with and be a point of contact for clarification on things that I have been involved in," Tollett said. Until then, GHCVB Chairman Doug Horn and Chairman Emeritus Don Henderson will coordinate day-to-day operations at the bureau.

Quoted from http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

I know Don Henderson is a good man, and I feel confident that as long as he's involved in the process, the GHCVB should land on its feet.

Man, hold up. He got too much egg nog in his cup <_<

:lol:

This isn't exactly a breaking story...check out some of Jordy's verbatim remarks in this KPRC undercover investigation this past July. He's not exactly the sort of character one would choose to represent our city to visitors.

*edit - merged with existing topic*

He did not deal with vistors. He rubbed elbows with the people who decide to bring conventions to town. And those people party like he does. That's common knowledge.

I guess White would prefer some tee-toataling nerd.

I guess White would prefer someone who did his job rather than sitting around bars getting tanked every day.

Looks to me like White gave Jordy time to straighten himself out; when he didn't (or couldn't) he paid the consequences.

Thank goodness White isn't a slave to the Good Ol' Boy network.