Skyscrapercity

citykid09

To citykid09: SSC is up and running as of Saturday.

Another forum, AmericanUprise was new and up and running for 3 weeks, till one of the adminstratiors f*cked up the site just cause he was ticked off that a moderator was getting moved up to another admin by the other who owned the site. So he hacked into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Which is better. Skyscraper City, seems more addictive, because I like seeing what other people across the country think. HAIF is my favorite, though. More in depth on my city, and I don't get attacked about talking about it. The Dallas Metropolis site isn't working, like it is under construction.

Sorry, but Skyscraper city is so irrationally pro-urbanity that you can't have a serious discussion about the overall nature of cities. I like the fact that people are passionate about creating quality urban spaces but when you become so passionate about it that you're irrational about ALL facets of a city (including your own), I can't take your discussion/points-of-view seriously.

Skyscraper Page is bad about it as well but I think there's a bit more give there. Skyscraper city, however, is all-controversy, all-confrontation, all the time. Anyone who drives an SUV is the devil, anyone who doesn't want to live in a mult-unit dwelling that's attached on all sides to other units and has little to no available parking an is flanked on all sides by wide sidewalks is unenlightened and a suburban-minded neanderthal.

I mean... really. Give me a break.

For example, I love Chicago's Loop and Nearside neighborhoods but there are several aspects to the city that turn me off as well but it seems no one is willing to talk about any of those because it has a great skyline and it has an abundance of classic urban neighborhoods. Meanwhile, someone mentions... oh, Atlanta, for example... and it doesn't matter what positives are there, there will be a long line of people who will ridicule it to death because it wasn't built up at the same time your older midwest and east coast cities were built up. It gets old.

As for the poll, I like what Wayne and Garret have both done with HAIF and Dallas Metropolis. You can have contrasting viewpoints and still have some prayer of reaching an understanding of those viewpoints.

I like HAIF the best, because it's more informative and you wont get flamed to hell and back for posting about Houston.

I like Dallas too because its a nice forum.

And lastly I like Skyscrapercity, but the people there are so hypercrtitical and the northerns there have an unhealthy hatred for any southern city.

It's interesting to me that SkyscraperPage has gotten more civilized. I was a big fan a few years ago, but it eventually degenrated in a writhing mass of my-city-is-better-than-your-city flame wars, and I moved on. I go back every now and again, but find the site is bogged down or offline more often than it is accessable.

I have to admit that I frequent the Dallas Metropolis most often. But I do spend a fair amount of time here on HAIF as well. I also enjoy reading the Fort Worth Architecture Forum. I enjoy knowing what the great cities in Texas are doing.

SSC and SSP give the south zero respect in every aspect, which is why I do not visit either of them anymore.

Hate to say it about Jan's SSC forum, but, I found his old World Skyscrapers Forum better. The original SSC idea was pretty sound - going the way of a superforum combining all his separate forums like he did - but,... anyway, it's a mass quantity of people there that are making it unbearable to bother visiting.

Yeah, they dont think a Texas forum would be active enough. But before Mancuso there used to be a lot of trolls come in the subforum to bash the south and southeast. Mainly Chicago forumers, One especially sticks out in my name and im sure most people know who I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I like SSC better than SSP, simply because SSC has more excitement in it. I found SSP to be boring, IMO, so I barely post there at all. When I joined SSC, I had no idea how much brawling and ass-kissing over cities there was. But I'm glad that Mancuso is in charge now of the SE forum.

I also like to go to Urban Planet; like HAIF, UP is also a more civilized urban forum. Could sure use more Houston forumers though, since I happen to be one of five forumers there (Urbanrailfan) -- and one of them was already banned from there.

I used to also like AmericanUprise when it was growing, up until an administrator hacked into the site. Sad day that was. :(

• 1 month later...

I'd say that the quality of most forums comes from the people who post there, and the people who moderate it.

The people here at HAIF seem to be of a better quality, and we've only had about three troublemakers to deal with in the last three years. I try to hang back and let the moderators do their job because I'm kind of a reactionary bastard.

I'd like to publically thank the moderators for the job they do here. Another round of iTunes gift certificates is on the way.

Just some advice to people who register at SSC. Please do not come on there with this out of control boosterism on Houston. Saying things like Houston can compare with Chicago and we will annex Sugar Land and Katy, so it will beat Chicago in population or Houston has a better transportation system, because we have more freeways is just.............I don't even have the word fot it. Just state the facts people and take this into consideration.

I'd say that the quality of most forums comes from the people who post there, and the people who moderate it. 

The people here at HAIF seem to be of a better quality, and we've only had about three troublemakers to deal with in the last three years.  I try to hang back and let the moderators do their job because I'm kind of a reactionary bastard.

I'd like to publically thank the moderators for the job they do here.  Another round of iTunes gift certificates is on the way.

Thanks Wayne! :)

• 3 weeks later...