Facebook

lockmat

It's my personal life, and I don't like interlapping my social life with my family life... not that I care what they think, its just annoying when it comes up when I visit them.

when you choose to post it on the net, it becomes public.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like how facebook has attracted the older crowd. No offense, but now my aunts, uncles, and parents have it. And I'm sure they love to see on the "what are your friend's updates" part when I attend certain parties or events. It's my personal life, and I don't like interlapping my social life with my family life... not that I care what they think, its just annoying when it comes up when I visit them.

I agree - it definitely changes the dynamic a bit when suddenly I have people's parents on there. Of course I'll accept them as friends, but next thing you know you get trashed at a party and someone tags you in a photo.

The most annoying thing about facebook, though, is the amount of weird a$$ requests you get. Kidnaps, hugs, knighthood, cookies, pokes...WTF is that all about?

I don't like how facebook has attracted the older crowd. No offense, but now my aunts, uncles, and parents have it. And I'm sure they love to see on the "what are your friend's updates" part when I attend certain parties or events. It's my personal life, and I don't like interlapping my social life with my family life... not that I care what they think, its just annoying when it comes up when I visit them.

If you don't care what people think, then it shouldn't annoy you. Seeing as you started a thread about your own DWI here, you clearly don't have too many issues with 'interlapping' your private and social life.

Boundaries: why is it that so so few people have them anymore?

when you choose to post it on the net, it becomes public.

No way... you're lying.

I agree - it definitely changes the dynamic a bit when suddenly I have people's parents on there. Of course I'll accept them as friends, but next thing you know you get trashed at a party and someone tags you in a photo.

The most annoying thing about facebook, though, is the amount of weird a$$ requests you get. Kidnaps, hugs, knighthood, cookies, pokes...WTF is that all about?

I know! Everything from closeted friends to party animals. Feels like ya can't be yourself when the generation gap is bridged on a social network.

If you don't care what people think, then it shouldn't annoy you. Seeing as you started a thread about your own DWI here, you clearly don't have too many issues with 'interlapping' your private and social life.

I'm not complaining about social & private, but social and family. And yeah, the dwi thread was a mistake, and it's no longer there. Sheesh, I'll remember not to be Human next time.

Not everyone's opinion or statementes can meet to your standards. Besides, I'm halfway kidding. Lighten up.

This is a forum, don't like what I say, block my posts...

I'm not complaining about social & private, but social and family. And yeah, the dwi thread was a mistake, and it's no longer there. Sheesh, I'll remember not to be Human next time.

Not everyone's opinion or statementes can meet to your standards. Besides, I'm halfway kidding. Lighten up.

This is a forum, don't like what I say, block my posts...

Just create a list on facebook and restrict their access with limits. Block your wall, photos, friends, status etc.

• 1 month later...
Facebook

Right behind Myspace.com is a website called Facebook.com It is much more organized, clean, less cluttered than Myspace and I think a very good place to begin this mission.

And for those of you who might be older and not used to this sort of thing, I say at least give it a try. It's not childish like myspace.

Dude, WTF, it's like every other month you disable/re-enable your facebook account and I get some random friend count reduction/increase, and it's always you.

What's going on? Do you have outstanding parking tickets, is the Russian KGB after you, do you see dead people?

Explain yourself? :P

The most annoying thing about facebook, though, is the amount of weird a$ requests you get. Kidnaps, hugs, knighthood, cookies, pokes...WTF is that all about?

This is a friend problem. Tell your friends to stop sending you that nonsense.

That's why I only belong to anti-social networks.

Some folks just have no sense of privacy. I worked with a guy 15 years ago who started one of the first blogs I'd ever seen. It was basically his diary on a web site. Everyone at work found out about it and read it constantly, laughing about what a goofus he was. My favorite part was when he found out you could buy a stamp from the vending machine at the post office with a $20 bill and it would give you change in Susan B. Anthony coins. For some reason he felt like he was getting something special by doing this. He spent nights after night at the post office converting paper money into coins and stamps, and then blogged about it at length.

I'm a goofus, but my co-workers don't need to know the details.

I'm a goofus, but my co-workers don't need to know the details.

Precisely. I mean, I really enjoy being the center of attention. But in person. Not on stupid facecrack. No one really wants to know 25 randon things about me. Why assume otherwise? <_< But thanks to FB now I come home at night to an inbox with new friend requests from people I used to work with, many of whom I never liked to begin with and I haven't seen in years, badgering me for photos and details of my life. Sigh. I wish I had not caved to the FB peer pressure.

That Susan B Anthony dude was an OCD piece of work, Meme. Truly.

I wanna know 25 things about you, crunch, but ONLY over booze.

I caved into facecrack, but I have to admit I like it. My profile contains almost no information but I LOVE on-line scrabble. It makes the boring days fly by. I also like reading the status updates and I am amazed at how many people feel the need to tell "the world" that they are picking their kid up at school or searching for a zen space or whatever else crap they put on there.

The key to my facebook happiness has been mastering the privacy features. Now, nobody has to know I am a loser and spend way too much time on there except for my non-Facebooked friends at HAIF. Hell, and y'all already know we all spend too much time on the interwebs.

I would probably hate FB less if I actually attempted to learn the features. Doh!

No, probably not. No matter how many features it has, it is merely a place to embarrass yourself...assuming of course, that one is capable of being embarrassed. Some people on there apparently cannot be.

Red-

The key is to try and mitigate the embarrassment. The only thing I haven't quite figured out is how to avoid being tagged in photos that I really don't want on the www. Lately, I've taken to sucker punching anyone who dares snap my picture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey puma or macbro, I reactivated my facebook cuz I needed to find something out, but what happened to the fan pages and groups??????!!!

I wanted to check out the haif stuff but I can't find it!

Hey puma or macbro, I reactivated my facebook cuz I needed to find something out, but what happened to the fan pages and groups??????!!!

I wanted to check out the haif stuff but I can't find it!

Look at my profile for my groups and fan pages. Btw, why so secret on facebook. If you don't want people to see you, fix your privacy settings instead of deactivating you account all the time.

Look at my profile for my groups and fan pages. Btw, why so secret on facebook. If you don't want people to see you, fix your privacy settings instead of deactivating you account all the time.

Naw, I'm not secretive. I just don't want to get back on it. Getting on today reminded me why I need to stay off. I'm glad I jumped off that train, personally.

Oh, and I found the group by typing it in the search box at the top right. There's a lot more who joined the group! Pretty cool.

LOL

Yeah, you can find the HAIF page on our accounts. It should be somewhere on the side under groups or pages we belong to.

FWIW, Facebook has a relatively new App that is fun and harmless. It is called Farm Town and you own your own little farm, grow things, harvest, etc. Lots of fun and addictive.

Archived