Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base

TheNiche

What's new...

THIS:

FlightlineF16.jpg

was not the answer. They're gone.

Now... it will be this, down here:

Predator+Drone.jpg

so quiet... you can't even hear them. They'll be here 2011/2012.

There is also new warehouse/storage space across from Ellington. So much better than the old construction.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's new...

THIS: 2011/2012.

There is also new warehouse/storage space across from Ellington. So much better than the old construction.

A little behind the curve Bryan. This is the new centurion ( Foreground ), and although not assigned to Ellington, has been there numerous times in the last ten years. This thing really Hummmms.... well not really - it's totally quiet! Out performs the SR-71 & YF-12, hands - down!

Now... it will be this, down here:

Predator+Drone.jpg

so quiet... you can't even hear them. They'll be here 2011/2012.

Actually, the Recon Wing is already here. Well...they're actually deployed to Afghanistan, and yet most of them are still stationed here. The pilots fly the Predator drones from computer terminals at Ellington Field and get to sleep at night in their own beds.

The 147th also includes aircraft maintenance, security, engineering, and medical staff. And I'm not sure why, but the 272nd Engineering Installation Squadron is operating out of La Porte Municipal Airport...from what I can tell, it looks like they were supposed to move to Ellington Field at some point.

I think that it was the reserve units on OST and also some that were in Beaumont that got folded into Ellington Field. Of course, Ellington Field is also part of the Houston Airport System, and so these new structures could also be supportive of general aviation, NASA, or private industry.

I was on the phone with someone from the HAS a couple months ago, and she told me it was in the process of being converted into a commercial freight airport.

I was on the phone with someone from the HAS a couple months ago, and she told me it was in the process of being converted into a commercial freight airport.

I could see the profit in that, as well as the burden shift from the other airports. There is plenty of good land for warehouses, and storage here. Many possibilities, but Ellington in my mind has always been a gold mine for the right entrepreneur with the right market timing. Hope they get this in gear quickly.

Have you heard of a timeline yet?

I personally like the location, and thought of developing a restaurant with a sky bar, right on the flightline. Opinions anyone??

• 2 weeks later...

This was shown on Fox local news earlier this week

“New Life for Ellington Field”

“HOUSTON - Just when many people thought it was a lost cause, Ellington Field has come back strong with thousands of additional troops and construction projects like no one has ever seen.

This comes as $100 million is being pumped into the military base that was on the verge of closure in 2005.

There are new facilities being built around the installation now being called the Joint Reserve Base.

Ellington also has every branch of the military represented and an increase to 7,000 troops.”

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/100405-new-life-for-ellington-field

News Link

This was shown on Fox local news earlier this week

“New Life for Ellington Field”

“HOUSTON - Just when many people thought it was a lost cause, Ellington Field has come back strong with thousands of additional troops and construction projects like no one has ever seen.

This comes as $100 million is being pumped into the military base that was on the verge of closure in 2005.

There are new facilities being built around the installation now being called the Joint Reserve Base.

Ellington also has every branch of the military represented and an increase to 7,000 troops.”

http://www.myfoxhous...ellington-field

News Link

Wow! I really needed some good news today, and this was just what the doctor ordered. A grand old base keeps up the tradition, and lives long & well!! What a real American landmark, Ellington Field!

• 1 year later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2011/08/12/major-expansion-set-at-ellington-airport.html?s=print

Lots of new stuff coming to Ellington. As I work in the area, hopefully it includes some better places for lunch.

Also of note, I thought that the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University was supposed to have made their decision in June?

I think November is the target for a decision.

This is great from a economic development standpoint for our city, but do we need 3 commercial airports? Is going to hurt IAH in anyway since they will be intl flights only, or would they try to lure in another carrier somehow?

I will say.. with Hobby and SWA being so close, and with both being so much closer to the city core, i would think this could be incentive to move that CRT project to the top of the list.

Imagine 1 line connecting Galveston, Ellington, Hobby, then feeding into the LRT system downtown.. pretty sweet.

from the article it mentions that it will only be non-commercial.

not being one for aviation lingo, I guess this means private planes, charter planes?? IAH isn't overloaded yet, but I'd hate for them to wait for it to be be like phoenix, or another similar airport before taking action. If they can move the smaller craft to Ellington to help make the takeoff lines shorter at IAH, then that's a job well done.

The article is confusingly worded, it says "domestic and noncommercial international flights" which sounds like the domestic flights could be commercial, but the international flights would be private/charter.

Guess i misread the article...

i don't think a CRT stop at Ellington will be necessary if only G6s are flying in.

I mean, great for the architects, contractors, and engineers that will be getting this work, but, lets as far as this being bigger news for the city at large... if its non-commercial, it's pretty irrelevant news.

I read it as commercial for domestic flights. If Continental starts up their puddle jumper to IAH again that would be amazing, I know tons of NASA/Contractors would love to see that come back. Most of my coworkers have started flying Southwest for work because of Hobby's proximity and ease after Continental discontinued service from Ellington and SW improved service. From what I remember Continental said it was too expensive to fly out of Ellington when they tried to renew their contract.

Sugar land has an airport????? dear god.

Yes, and it used to take commercial flights in the 1990s (intrastate propeller flights).

There is a possibility that discount and leisure airlines like Allegiant and Spirit could try to fly to Ellington and take advantage of the Houston-area cruise ship traffic.

Guess i misread the article...

i don't think a CRT stop at Ellington will be necessary if only G6s are flying in.

I mean, great for the architects, contractors, and engineers that will be getting this work, but, lets as far as this being bigger news for the city at large... if its non-commercial, it's pretty irrelevant news.

Yeah, go tell that to Ross Perot.

It sounds like an opportunity for some new airlines to come to Houston.

There are a number of them that aren't officially "airlines," but operate just like the real thing. Except, they are "scheduled charter" carriers. Sun Country leaps to mind. As far as any of its passengers know, it's a real airline. But on paper, it's not.

http://www.suncountry.com/page/1/destinations.jsp

I read it as commercial for domestic flights. If Continental starts up their puddle jumper to IAH again that would be amazing, I know tons of NASA/Contractors would love to see that come back. Most of my coworkers have started flying Southwest for work because of Hobby's proximity and ease after Continental discontinued service from Ellington and SW improved service. From what I remember Continental said it was too expensive to fly out of Ellington when they tried to renew their contract.

As I live in the Clear Lake area I would love to see the puddle jumper to IAH return. I use SWA whenever I can because it is just easier to get to Hobby than to Bush. Also, on the subject of lunch, does anyone else miss Pe-Te's as much as I do?

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't seem to make sense to add commercial service to Ellington since it is essentially right next to Hobby. Would likely result in two mediocre competing airports.

On the other hand, Ellington would make a nice base for private commercial traffic that might otherwise go to Hobby.

This would free up capacity at Hobby allowing it to become an even stronger commercial airport.

Doesn't seem to make sense to add commercial service to Ellington since it is essentially right next to Hobby. Would likely result in two mediocre competing airports.

On the other hand, Ellington would make a nice base for private commercial traffic that might otherwise go to Hobby.

This would free up capacity at Hobby allowing it to become an even stronger commercial airport.

I think that is the plan. I don't think there is any plan for scheduled commercial service at Ellington.

Archived