Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base

TheNiche

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm intrigued by this battle command center. I wonder if that will have something to do with controlling drones overseas, like they do in Tonopah, NV, or if it will be a NORAD component for airspace here.

It was my understanding, or maybe I just dreamed it, that it was going to be a training center for drone jockey's. I'll as around next time I'm out there.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2011/08/12/major-expansion-set-at-ellington-airport.html?s=print

Lots of new stuff coming to Ellington. As I work in the area, hopefully it includes some better places for lunch.

Also of note, I thought that the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University was supposed to have made their decision in June?

Burger House across the street is really, really good. It has a killer bugogi (korean beef) burger. Losing Pe-Te's hurt a few years ago.

• 4 years later...

Greetings all,

I will be moving to Houston this summer for work, and as I don't know much about the city or the area, I could use some advice. My work is located at Ellington Field. I'm somewhat of a city person and I'm hoping to live more in the city. I have done some research online and have seen some good things written about the Clear Lake area, Pearville, and other suburbs on that side of town, but am looking at neighborhoods in the greater East End and MacGregor areas. Is this a feasible reverse commute on I-45 or am I setting myself up for an hour plus each way? I would prefer to live closer in to the city, but am not so committed to the idea as to ruin my life with an awful commute. What other areas should I be looking at?

For background, I'm coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, and before that I lived in Washington, DC. I love public transportation, am accustomed to walking and biking a lot, and have just always preferred cities to the sprawl of suburbia. I'm no longer in my 20's and am not seeking the high-end nightlife/party scene or only the most dense, urban neighborhoods, but my ideal living situation is a walkable/bike-able neighborhood with local restaurants and shops, and maybe some access to public transportation. Of course it looks like my work location pretty much means I'm forced to commute by car, and I'm fine with that, but I just can't stand the idea of living in a car-only suburb of tract housing and strip malls. No kids, so local schools aren't a factor, and having lived in several cities before, a reasonable level of crime doesn't scare me. 

Thanks,

Scott

I don't think your commute would be too much of an issue since you would be traveling against the majority of traffic during the morning and evening rush hours.

In the morning 45 South is usually clogged going northbound and in the evening its clogged going southbound but in your case you would avoid most of the bulk as you're traveling southbound in the morning and traveling northbound in the evening. So traffic should generally be smooth. Unless theres some kind of accident or construction (I-45 past Beltway 8 is a mess right now) you could always use Highway 3 also known as Galveston Rd. (this is if you live in the East End but if you choose Mac Gregor this would still apply but would be less direct) as an alternative route which would take you up into Magnolia and from there towards the East End by going up Broadway and through Harrisburg or Navigation boulevards. In total you'd spend 30 minutes (give or take) going to work and 30 minutes driving back home.   

It really depends on what your idea of a long commute is. I work farther out than Ellington (but pass by it) and live north of Hobby Airport, and it's about 25 minutes in the morning, 30-45 in the afternoon - about 16 miles each way. I think you'll be better off since Ellington is off Highway 3 and relatively close to 45. I spend a disproportionate amount of my commute time within the Clear Lake area.

Where is Pearville?? Anywhere near Sugarville or Clear Sea City?:lol:

I jest, of course. Welcome to Houston, Scott. Have you looked in Friendswood yet? Not a bad area, but let me caution you about one thing you won't know since you're an out of towner. The Gulf Freeway (I-45 south) is perennially under construction. Has been ever since they built it way back when. If you can handle the freeway being shut down over and over, and endless detours here, there and everywhere between the island and downtown, you'll be fine. Those areas have really developed nicely in the last couple of decades and are convenient to pretty much anything you need to live comfortably.

Stay away from the City of South Houston, though. It's kind of a hellhole, IMO. That title used to go to Webster, but it has gotten significantly better in recent years.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded with information. Does anyone know anything about the data on this site?

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/routebuilder/routebuilder_start.html

It seems like a really great tool, providing real time or historical data for given sections of all the different highways based on actual telemetry from tracking the movement of wireless devices. I am asking though, because I have mapped out a lot of different routes, and it seems to show a lot of areas where traffic isn't all that awful. Yet you hear so much about how bad the traffic is. Does anyone have any experience comparing the data shown or the results of using the route builder compared to the real world?

I have never used it but I'll give it a try! Since I'm only on 45 roughly from 610 to Clear Lake City Blvd. (you would exit before then, even), I have never had an issue on 45 that wasn't reasonably avoided with Google Maps alerts. And in about 3 years of driving that stretch of 45 during peak times (reverse commute) I can probably count on one hand where I have come across a really bad traffic incident.

I do the reverse commute down I-45 daily. I get on at Allen Parkway (downtown) and go all the way to NASA Parkway, well past where you would have to exit for Ellington. As others have said, 45 near Beltway 8 is a bit of a mess, and I would like to say it will get better soon but there is always something going on. A common joke around NASA is "we can put a man on the moon but we can't finish the Gulf freeway!".

That said, the mornings aren't bad at all, I rarely have to slow down at the 610 interchange, and right now start hitting some traffic around Scarsdale/Dixie Farm/Clear Lake City Blvd but its not too bad - slows down to 30-50 mph for a mile or two because of the construction. I get to NASA which would be ~5 miles past the Ellington exits (depending on where you are going) in about 30-35 minutes. The afternoons are worse especially if you can't leave until 5pm (leaving at 4:30 makes a very big difference at the moment), my commute is about 35-45 minutes with slowdowns at Beltway 8, just before 610, then again downtown.

You should check out these tools as well on Transtar which is very telling (note the historical averages in 2014 don't have as much of the construction at that time as what is current but may be more "average" and good to look at):

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/hist/historydata.html

As far as neighborhoods, Houston is going to feel a lot different from DC or the Bay Area (well depending on where in the Bay Area). Many people here could field specific questions if you have them, but my generic advice would be to rent when you get here so you can get a feel. There is so much sprawl that it can be overwhelming with no insider help and just quick trips. It really takes some time to explore and get to know the different areas. I live around Montrose now and love it, bike and walk quite about 8-9 months a year.

I concur that your commute shouldn't be bad on regular basis. 

Midtown, Heights, East End, Montrose, Upper Kirby/Rice Village probably fit your description at least to some extent for neighborhoods, but absolutely rent for a bit somewhere centrl and get a feel for what you like since they are all a bit different.  Downtown proper is about to get a ton of apartment space dropped on it with new construction/renovations too, so it will be a completely new neighborhood soon.

Welcome.

also be aware, as you are new to the area, if you choose to live in Galveston County, it's my understanding that you must carry flood insurance. Harris County, we don't have to worry about it. I think the difference is probably minor. Also, if you're outside of COH, you will likely have to deal with MUD tax (municipal utility district). From what friends tell me, they tax... weirdly. again, probably a minor difference, but worth considering when looking at living near Ellington vs in town and dealing with the reverse commute.

I'll also say, when I was working there, I knew a few people that lived farther out, just a few miles, traffic from the area coming in 45 and highway 3 is bad and it'll end up taking longer to come in the few miles than to go out the 10-15 miles.

Oh, and Abe's eat at Abe's.

I live in McGregor/Riverside Terrace and think it may be a good fit for you if the schools aren't an issue. There are several bike trails that run through the neighborhood - The columbia tap runs you into Downtown where you can get to the trails along Buffalo Bayou, as well as a trail that runs along Brays Bayou that connects you to Hermann park.

I have always reverse commuted and it generally is not bad as long as there is not an accident. you can also take Highway 3 for portions if there is an accident which can help, or the beltway to 225.

Most of Friendswood and Pearland are very suburban, which is ok, but doesn't really sound like what you are looking for.

If you have any questions about the area, let me know as some areas are sketchier than others.

Where do you live in the Bay Area? That will help me give you a better rec. on where to consider moving. The Bay Area is massive and each town is very different from the next. San Jose is no San Fran and East Palo Alto is no Oakland Hills...

The commute really shouldn't be an issue once since you'd be reverse commuting. Downtown, Eastwood, Riverside Terrace, Montrose, Museum District, etc... could all be on your radar.

• The title was changed to Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base

Archived