Helios At 411 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

So, this is just what I heard...

Wanted to stop by Helios tonight; it was sealed up like a drum.

Stopped by the place next door: I'm told she's had enough and has closed down.

This strikes me as bad news. Helios was one of the more attractive assets of Houston...IMO.

I went there once when it had another name, when it was set up more or less as a coffee bar. They had some poetry reading.

Yeah, that place was unique. Then again, that was the beauty of the Montrose...those odd bungalows and two story houses which were converted to cafes and shops.

How is that two story coffee/wine bar across the street from Cafe Brasil doing, I wonder?

Helios ran into a bad situation with a neighbor. Some lawyer moved in close by and complained about the noise, similar to the Walter's situation that is going on. I think the owner of Helios said she's had enough and decided to redo the place and have it more of an art space.

It does suck - Monday's there used to be really fun and different than the normal place. Kind of a hidden gem.

Helios ran into a bad situation with a neighbor. Some lawyer moved in close by and complained about the noise, similar to the Walter's situation that is going on.

Someone moves to Lower Westheimer and complains about noise? What's worse, he actually succeeds in hounding a business owner to the point where she opts to close? I'm glad I lived in Montrose at a time when people like that would've likely been laughed out of the neighborhood.

:blink:

I'm glad I lived in Montrose at a time when people like that would've likely been laughed out of the neighborhood.

Yeah, those days are over... I still think if people want quiet they should move to The Woodlands.

• 1 month later...
Guest andriasfault

No need to fret. The new "helios" is now on Telephone near Lockwood and is called "bohemeos." Just look it up on the internet. I don't mean to imply that Helios has moved but only that this new establishment may fill the gap left by the exit of Helios since it offers open mic night, poetry readings, bands on the weekends, etc.

Another cool place that has opened up recently in the East End is not far and is called Cafe Flores. It is on the corner of Lawndale and Wayside. They have been having music on Fridays and may start doing it on Saturdays also. No alcohol/liquor here and it is much more laid back and not nearly as loud. No bands here, just acoustic artists . . . so far.

No need to fret. The new "helios" is now on Telephone near Lockwood and is called "bohemeos." Just look it up on the internet. I don't mean to imply that Helios has moved but only that this new establishment may fill the gap left by the exit of Helios since it offers open mic night, poetry readings, bands on the weekends, etc.

Another cool place that has opened up recently in the East End is not far and is called Cafe Flores. It is on the corner of Lawndale and Wayside. They have been having music on Fridays and may start doing it on Saturdays also. No alcohol/liquor here and it is much more laid back and not nearly as loud. No bands here, just acoustic artists . . . so far.

Bohemeos article

• The title was changed to No More Helios?
  • The title was changed to Helios At 411 Westheimer Rd.

Archived