Bob Barker announces retirement from the Price is Right!

musicman

I have followed Barker all the way back to Beulah the Buzzer!

Good old "Truth or Consequences"

I sure love having you around H2B, it bails me out and not feeling like the oldest turd in this joint, at least you and I can sit around and remember who was the original Matt Dillon.

Yeah Bob was on "Truth or Consequences" for almost 20 years before this 35 year run. He took over T&C from good ole Ralph Edwards who went on to do "This is Your Life" which I always liked that. They'd tale celebrities and drag out their old English teacher from the 5th grade and so on and so forth, pretty cool show for the times.

Bob Barker retiring after 50 years on TV

LOS ANGELES - Bob Barker is heading toward his last showcase, his final "Come on down."

The silver-haired daytime-TV icon is retiring in June, he told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on December 12," he said, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."He'll hang up his microphone after 35 years as the host of "The Price Is Right" and 50 years overall in television.

Though he has been considering retirement for "at least 10 years," Barker said he has so much fun doing the show that he hasn't been able to leave.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

Reaching dual milestones, 50 years on television and 35 with "Price," made this an "appropriate" time to retire, Barker said. Besides, hosting the daily CBS program

I sure love having you around H2B, it bails me out and not feeling like the oldest turd in this joint, at least you and I can sit around and remember who was the original Matt Dillon.
Mark, you are a bit mistaken here. I am not near old enough to remember that William Conrad was the original Matt Dillon. In fact, I'm not even old to have listened to a single radio drama like Gunsmoke or Boston Blackie, usually on Sunday afternoons while coming back from my granddad's place in Sargent.

Mark, you are a bit mistaken here. I am not near old enough to remember that William Conrad was the original Matt Dillon. In fact, I'm not even old to have listened to a single radio drama like Gunsmoke or Boston Blackie, usually on Sunday afternoons while coming back from my granddad's place in Sargent.

I'll take that as a confession...... :lol:

"Don't forget to spay and nueter your pets"

"The price is wrong, B@tch"

and the dumbest Price is right contestant of all time!

Here's a video 4 ya. The stoner contestant on the Price is Right...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=708808745

And I'm sure dogs and cats alike couldn't be happier to see Barker go :D

Here's a video 4 ya. The stoner contestant on the Price is Right...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=708808745

And I'm sure dogs and cats alike couldn't be happier to see Barker go :D

Did you watch all the videos on theat page, this one was pretty good

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoID=687773293

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

since the end is near, i thought i'd resurrect this.

Fans camped outside CBS Television City this week for the chance to say goodbye to daytime TV legend Bob Barker. "If they offered me $10,000 for my ticket, I'd say take a hike. This is the chance of a lifetime," said Philip Barrett, 24, of Tampa, Fla., who was first in line to attend Barker's finale on Wednesday.

Barrett traversed the country to claim his spot on Saturday afternoon and was then joined by hundreds of others who hoped to see the silver-haired Barker tape one of his farewell shows after 35 years as host of "The Price Is Right."

full article

I went to "The Price Is Right" once and it was boring after the novelty wore off. For me that was about 10 minutes. You have to really love the show and want to be there to enjoy it. It was just a lot of trouble and took a big chunk out of the day.

It's fun just to say I've done it, but I wouldn't do it again. I still have my big yellow "Kimberly" sticker.

Edited:

Oh, and the "Barker Beauties" were apparently bored, too. They'd be doing their thing on stage, but as soon as the camera was off, they'd plop down on the prize furniture and yawn.

I went to "The Price Is Right" once and it was boring after the novelty wore off. For me that was about 10 minutes. You have to really love the show and want to be there to enjoy it. It was just a lot of trouble and took a big chunk out of the day.

It's fun just to say I've done it, but I wouldn't do it again. I still have my big yellow "Kimberly" sticker.

Edited:

Oh, and the "Barker Beauties" were apparently bored, too. They'd be doing their thing on stage, but as soon as the camera was off, they'd plop down on the prize furniture and yawn.

Thats hilarious and I beleive anything once the cameras stop rolling. I once tried to get in years ago and remember the loooong lines just waiting for a chance to be in the audience. If you did not make it to Price is Right you had to settle for a less well known or un-popular show. How depressing is that!

If memory serves well the studio was right on Melrose? in West Hollywood. Exciting!

In any case Bob Barker is still what I consider part of American Pop Culture and I will sure miss him. Pretty much grew up seeing him on TV since the 60's. I'll take door number 2!

(Hope a tiger doesn't pop out at me) like they do on this forum :lol:

It's taped at CBS Television City on Fairfax. It shares a parking lot with the Farmer's Market.

You have to get there very early and wait in line until they issue you a number, then they give you about a 30 minute break to go eat breakfast or do whatever. We only had time for the nearby McDonald's. You return to the studio and wait in line for what seems like an enternity alongside a lot of freakys (old man dressed as a leprechaun, etc) and then they come by and check your ID because the name on your tag has to be your birth name. So you have your name tag and as you're filing into the studio you have to be interviewed by the producer one by one. That's how they pick their contestants, based on enthusiasm, I gather. So I played it down and was as boring as possible because I didn't really want to be picked. You're led up a dingy narrow staircase and into the studio which of course is not as big or flashy as it is on screen. Bob comes up before the show and talks to the audience and then the magic happens.

16383125_920cde0f13.jpg

The cars were always the best and the vacations/cruises etc.

The "Come on Down" has to be known world wide. NBC studios is another must see. Saw Leno & Greg Kinnear when he had his LATE show early 90's. Never thought one day Kinnear would end up a movie star. NBC is in Burbank on Olive st I think. You can see many soap opera sets, so cool.

Yeah, I've been to NBC twice. I used to be a big "Days of our Lives" fan.

Warner Brothers is probably the best studio tour. A great genuine studio tour. Unlike Universal, you get to get out of the tram and explore the backlots on foot, with a tight leash of course. I love the backlots, though, at both WB and Universal. There's so much history there.

I feel sorry for Barker. I can imagine him cringing everytime he sees a new car, hears the word "bid", and waking up in a cold sweat because has the "Cliff Hanger" song stuck in his dreams...

nah i'm sure what makes him cringe is one someone yells out ONE DOLAAAAARRR.

I went to "The Price Is Right" once and it was boring after the novelty wore off. For me that was about 10 minutes.

LOL, Kimberly so far two of your posts have cracked me up :D

first ur trader's village experience then this, lol. i can just imagine u going to these places with high expectations, all excited, then i see this picture of a sad girl all disapponted, lol

LOL, Kimberly so far two of your posts have cracked me up :D

first ur trader's village experience then this, lol. i can just imagine u going to these places with high expectations, all excited, then i see this picture of a sad girl all disapponted, lol

I am sure thats a sentiment millions learn once they see the magic unfold. Peel away the layers if you will.

The Entertainment business has always been about illusion. I personally find it funny and interesting to see "how they do it". Good example was when I saw Greg Kinnear & Leno's show. As they get everyone seated and somewhat quiet they send out 1-2 PR people that get on stage and start humoring the crowd. Typical silly conversation starters, then they tell everyone when the RED light goes on and you see me whirling my fist around yell as loud as you can just like you are at a football game! and keep smiling and look enthused as the cameras pan across. They throw out NBC shirts, mugs whatever to get people excited. Pure Hollywood.

What is even funnier is how small the studio really is! On TV they seem very spacious and wide almost stadium like but you find its just fake walls that move and tons of lights above, curtains etc. Paramount Studios is another great tour. Its funny how close many of them are to each other. I did Admin work just as a temp at 20th Century Fox years ago and it was pure office work but we got to deliver letters & stuff around the lot. Was like walking around Astroworld in its day. Miss the fun big time. Now you have me lusting for LA.

Sorry we hijacked this topic but no one cares. :lol: I'll end it with Bob Barker's name here so we stuck to subject hee hee. :P

Archived