3 hours ago, danielsonr said:

I realize that article was from last October, but the rebar work and rebricking of the facade was only completed about a month or so ago. This additional work also had a major impact on their capital budget. I was simply responding to a question about why the guest house had not yet been relocated to make way for the completion of the visitor center/office/plaza complex north of the chapel. My apologies to mkultra25 for not citing him/her for referencing a Chronicle article six months ago. Jeez, this is why I rarely post on this site.

Relax.  I merely wanted to clarify.  Without the clarification, a casual reader would have gotten the idea this was new information and more delays were imminent.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Relax.  I merely wanted to clarify.  Without the clarification, a casual reader would have gotten the idea this was new information and more delays were imminent.

I commend you for taking the time to protect the unwashed readership of HAIF from misinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So it looks like they intend to take out the two houses west of the Rothko for the meditation garden and moving their offices and archives to Sul Ross,

That makes a lot of sense. So essentially it's one long park with the Menil at one end and the Rothko at the other. Perhaps they would consider taking Mulberry out from Sul Ross to Branard eliminating the street between the two buildings, and create a continuous open space. Besides less traffic would be a good thing in that neighborhood.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 10:43 PM, bobruss said:

So it looks like they intend to take out the two houses west of the Rothko for the meditation garden and moving their offices and archives to Sul Ross,

That makes a lot of sense. So essentially it's one long park with the Menil at one end and the Rothko at the other. Perhaps they would consider taking Mulberry out from Sul Ross to Branard eliminating the street between the two buildings, and create a continuous open space. Besides less traffic would be a good thing in that neighborhood.

That short strip of street between the two doesn't serve to do anything other than allowing cars to not to have drive around the site to get to the other streets. I bike around it often, and I rarely see cars utilize it, and when I do, its always awkward because of pedestrians walking, biking, roller blading and then the car has to dodge other cars pulling out of their parking spot on the main street, etc. So you are right, that would make a lot of sense. But can they just demolish a street? 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, X.R. said:

But can they just demolish a street? 

Yes.  With permission.

I don't know what the process is in Houston, but I've seen it done dozens of times in other cities.

Usually the developer compensates the city for the value of the land, and it requires approval from various committees and a public hearing or six and eventually the approval of the city council and the city's DOT.  Mostly, it's just paperwork and a check.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 10:43 PM, bobruss said:

I think taking out that street would really change the feeling and view of the Renzo Piano building in a negative way. It's designed perfectly to fit in its context as is. The Menil's vision was to integrate their projects into the existing neighborhood, not create a monumental campus. I do think the street could be made to look a lot nicer though...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, editor said:

Yes.  With permission.

I don't know what the process is in Houston, but I've seen it done dozens of times in other cities.

Usually the developer compensates the city for the value of the land, and it requires approval from various committees and a public hearing or six and eventually the approval of the city council and the city's DOT.  Mostly, it's just paperwork and a check.

And its a chore. Usually with a lot of strings attached. City's always feel they can ask for way more from a street abandonment when it comes around. Lets just say I've gotten some experience in this department lately. Not to mention the major utility work required post abandonment.

On 7/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, iah77 said:

I think taking out that street would really change the feeling and view of the Renzo Piano building in a negative way. It's designed perfectly to fit in its context as is. The Menil's vision was to integrate their projects into the existing neighborhood, not create a monumental campus. I do think the street could be made to look a lot nicer though...

Lived and worked in the area for around 2 years. Frequently walked across the Menil, Rothko, and St. Thomas. I gotta say those two houses that will be removed won't really impact the feeling and view of the Menil in my opinion. Those two houses (which were turned into small office buildings) always felt awkward, and are not as good bungalow examples as those in the area. I don't think they will be missed. Most don't even approach the Menil from the East anyway. Most approach the Menil from the North and South. You also have to consider looking at the drawing above that their has been a replant of River Birch which flanks the Broken Obelisk, which is a great upgrade when I visited in April. As more people move into Montrose its to be expected that Rothko is getting pushed to be more pronounced, but I think the additions of late are welcomed. It still feels like that lost treasure nestled in a neighborhood, but with some light touches.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, iah77 said:

Maybe redo it as a pedestrian only thoroughfare. No more cars, a space for events or farmers markets and still keeping the same framing for the Renzo building. 

Edited by jmitch94

We lived in the neighborhood for 15 years, In the 1400 block of Branard, three houses from Mulberry, and  right across the street from the park behind the new drawing center. Early on when just the Rothko was there from 71 - 73. Then again from 2003 2016. I know the neighborhood. I sat on my front porch many days and thought how nice it could be without the concern of traffic on that little street.

I can say from experience that the removal of Mulberry between Sul Ross and Branard would do nothing to destroy the fabric of the Menil, but would make it a safer, more pleasurable space. There would be more room for events in the open area to the east of the Menil, and it would create a more pedestrian friendly approach to both the park and the museums. Why would a street make the Menil more appropriate. There would still be a flow around the spaces. It would just make for a more unified space between the Rothko and the Menil. If you've ever been to Storm King in New York, you get a feeling for art and open spaces. They might be able to add another sculpture in the open space.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 2
  • The title was changed to Rothko Chapel At 3900 Yupon St.
  • 9 months later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/09/14/rothko-chapel-capital-campaign-fondren-foundation.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

"Houston’s iconic Rothko Chapel is making further progress toward its goal of raising $35 million for a restoration and expansion. The Houston-based Fondren Foundation contributed $500,000 to the ongoing “Opening Spaces” campaign, adding to the $300,000 it donated during the first phase of the master plan."

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In order to build the new Administrative and Archives building they had to move a house from its old location to a new location several feet east.

b6hYz5o.jpeg

4etfhox.jpeg

Jw5UXGD.jpeg

It's old location on Google Maps....

acHvrfH.png

BcbRjxR.png

It's new location next to DACAMERA.

Oyhp0Z4.jpeg

URO6ST2.jpeg

j6rx4wL.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

First look at new renderings of Rothko Chapel's campus expansion (houstonchronicle.com)

960x0.webp

"On Wednesday, phase two kicks off with a groundbreaking ceremony. Over the next two years, Architecture Research Office and Nelson Byrd Woltz will manage the construction of the new Administration and Archives Building and the Kathleen and Chuck Mullenweg Meditation Garden in addition to a program center, guest house for resident and visiting speakers and fellows, plus a shaded, shared plaza."

• Like 4