• The Woodlands / Conroe
    • West University
    • Pearland
    • San Antonio
    • Dallas / Ft. Worth
    • Austin
    • Elsewhere in Texas
    • Outside Texas

A subdivision in Spring off of FM 1960 called Ponderosa Forest. It was on par with Champions back in the 1970's when it started. The housing is all custom-built and it was VERY high-end stuff for its time. It's what I call "Beverly Hills style", which is every conceivable gaudy architectural style. You'll see a New Orleans style home with wrought iron balconies...next to a Spanish mission with stucco and arches...next to a mod contemporary with odd angles and no windows...next to an English country cottage complete with ivy and wood beams. No two houses look alike. There are so many courtyards, columns, circular driveways, custom pools, and guest houses, your head will spin. There are stone statues of lions in front yards intended in utter seriousness. If you're an architecture lover, this is the place for you. Most homes are in the $150,000 to $200,000 range, and that gets you a 3,000 sq ft house with a pool. There are some that go up to $500,000 and even $1,000,000 if you want more. The local schools are...well, they're private schools. :) It's a very decent commute for the burbs - 35 minutes gets you to the Galleria. The old generation of upper crusters has been clearing out as they retire, so it's leaving a big void. A gay couple just moved in last year, so that makes a total of probably just a handful so far at most. So the neighborhood is just sitting there, housing prices stagnant, not yet discovered.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just moved to the southeast side - about seven miles from the med center.

i have lived in memorial, bellaire, meyerland, northwest crossing, montrose, and near westchase, and this area is my third favorite (next to montrose and meyerland).

• 2 years later...
i just moved to the southeast side - about seven miles from the med center.

i have lived in memorial, bellaire, meyerland, northwest crossing, montrose, and near westchase, and this area is my third favorite (next to montrose and meyerland).

wow - two years later and i have hopped from SE to Binz to Braes Heights area :wacko:

Rosenberg, though I'm still technically a resident of Maine (Portland) who intends to return in a while.

BTW, what's with all of these old threads re-emerging all at once?

I was wondering about all the old polls myself.

Rosenberg, though I'm still technically a resident of Maine (Portland) who intends to return in a while.

BTW, what's with all of these old threads re-emerging all at once?

Grew up in Pecan Grove Plantation in Richmond but now live in West U. And loving it. Close to everything, especially the medical center..

it will soon be time to decide what the next locale will be on my "tour de Houston."

i think Heights and NE/E are the only stops left. or maybe i'll just do a repeat. bleh.

Wonder if anyone has covered...The Waterfront? Serious.

This is an area people seldom want to see, but heck it's Houston. I don't mean a trip down the bayou on that sissy tugboat or the Port of Houston but the real gritty, gritty sections around Broadway and under the big bridge going over the Ship Channel. I find it somewhat interesting to see the tiny beer joints and red light homes in these unknown burrows.

It would be an adventure like a LA Confidential of sorts. Peel away the layers and see the real beginnings or underground and unspeakable truths. >:):ph34r: Bet someone will do it and write a book/film/Oscar, etc.

it will soon be time to decide what the next locale will be on my "tour de Houston."

i think Heights and NE/E are the only stops left. or maybe i'll just do a repeat. bleh.

Have you considered doing the Warehouse District? This one at 1501 Ennis caught my eye as I was sliding by on the way home yesterday. There might not be a more "Houston" section of Houston right now than here. Where else can you get tastes of the Heights, Third Ward, 1950 Industrial and Midtown within blocks of each other? The townhouse turf is being installed at a furious pace but has yet to completely overrun the remaining wildflowers and weeds of the past. Every other corner will look different in 6 months or so though.

20us47q.jpg

cute house - i'll consider any part of town. move time is around April, so i have a little while to research.

i am also on a job hunt, though, and Houston hasn't been so...receptive. if April nears and i'm in the same boat, i am not sure where i'll end up -_-

• 3 weeks later...

Archived