• Metro - Train

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Marty
Up here in Wyoming there is no public transportation

DSC00243.jpg

And a moped just isn't going to cut it.

Cool, you don't have the gray truck anymore?

• 1 month later...
I listen to Houston traffic on KTRH radio. They talk about the HOV lane. Can someone explain to me exactly what that is?

high occupancy vehicle lane. during morning rush hr, traffic flows in bound and afternoon it flows outbound. it is for buses and cars wtih 2 or more people. some freeways require 3 or more people to maintain a good flow

CPR Dummy works real well, pair of shades and a ball cap......there you go. Cuts 30 minutes off your drive time downtown.

Someone is going to come up with the idea to make the dummies celebrity look-a-likes and market and make big $.

I wouldn't mind getting on the HOV with Marilyn Monroe. Ok here come the jokes, set myself up. ;)

Someone is going to come up with the idea to make the dummies celebrity look-a-likes and market and make big $.

I wouldn't mind getting on the HOV with Marilyn Monroe. Ok here come the jokes, set myself up. ;)

If you get a Paris Hilton dummy (I'll let you all decide if pun intended) don't let her drive. The cops are looking out for her.

Guest Marty

I use this because my 1979 Datsun 280 Z can't go down the roads that my bossman's truck does, plus he takes gas money out of my paycheck.

I head up a research group in a prominent institution in the Medical Center. My wife works in a med center hospital. I bike to work when I can, other times it's a 10 minute. I have 2 young kids and live on the west side of montrose. guess I'm bucking the trend of a lot of people who take off to the burbs as soon as the pregnancy test strip comes back positive. FWIW we have a lot of friends with multiple kids who have no intention of moving to the 'burbs for all the factors outlined above, so maybe the tide is turning. And we intend sending our children to public schools - we are fortunate to be zoned to pretty good ones. i sau fortunate but I guess we paid for the privilege. I'd sooner invest my money for a good college education than spend the cash now on what is not guaranteed to be a better education in a private school. An education is only as good as the parents' involvement and if living close in gives me 60 minutes to sit with my kids going over their homework each night, 60 minutes that I might spend listening to sports talk shows in the car on the commute out I-10, or 290, or whatever I know which one I'll take, every time. And with all the nuisance factors, it's difficult to match the vitality of a city, even Houston.

I totally agree with you sidegate. That's the same attitude I have. I'd take a smaller house and shorter commute / more vitality than a huge mansion in the middle of nowhere (or in a suburb). While living in the city most likely means I'll have to rent for longer until I can afford a condo or a house, that doesn't bother me too much.

I ride a bike just like this that I had since my child hood but with the Tuff II's then get in the truck to go roofing.

4y9emao.jpg

That sure is a "happy" looking bike.

seriously though you don't ride that do you?

do you have the little plastic things that clip on the spokes to make noise? the ones you get out of the coco puffs box.

I live 10 minutes by car from my office in Westchase area. Tried biking it, and my life flashed before my eyes. Houston is not a bike-friendly city. Plus, if I survived the traffic, I'd have to take a shower once I got to work right now

I agree with ssullivan, sidegate and Jax, I could definitely afford a McMansion in Katy and have an hour or more commute each way, but living in a one-story 1965 ranch house in Memorial and having work so close that I can go home for lunch gives me a much better quality of life than a large house every would.

Last year I faced the opposite dilemma - I lived inside the loop and worked in Westchase area. Sometimes a 75 minute commute on 59. Lamented moving from some of my favorite bars and restaurants etc., but to live so close to work is great. Plus, there are great ethnic restaurants out here. And SBISD schools are light-years better than HISD's Poe Elementary, which people inside the loop consider to be so good, but I found quite overrated.

I drive. It's 6 miles and takes about 15 minutes on 290 opposite all the traffic. I just looked up how long my commute would be to take Metro and the trip planner told me only.... 80 minutes. What a joke! I hate having to drive, but I don't hate it that much. :)

You're right - going anywhere on Metro when you have to transfer is a joke! I hope transferring between the red line and the "University" line on Metro Rail (when it's built) won't be like that though.

Ours is an original bungalow w/ an add-on to make it 3/2. Missed the back yard at the time (and still do), but very glad of the extra space now with the 2 kids. Life's full of trade-offs I guess. It's still very much a front porch neighborhood anyway - some of the developers are even putting in porches on the new McMansions, and at least making an effort to pick up some of the lines of the existing homes.

That sure is a "happy" looking bike

I like my bikes to be happy. Thank's

seriously though you don't ride that do you?

Yes, I do.

do you have the little plastic things that clip on the spokes to make noise? the ones you get out of the coco puffs box.

No, I have not tried that but do you know where I can get some handlebar streamers?

• 3 months later...

Archived