New Orleans Po-Boys: closed?

Walking downtown is...more like paddling a canoe down the Amazon to get to your next spot, whereas in less interesting areas, it's like going from one airport to another.

Huh? :huh:

I'm saying that getting from Point A to Point B in a place like DT is an adventure, like canoeing the Amazon. You'll arrive, maybe sweaty and slightly winded but the trip itself could be the best part.

If you're going from Suburban Point A to Suburban Point B the same distance away, you have no compelling reason to walk so the trip is like a flight between airports; getting it over as quickly as possible.

maybe the concrete has already set on this one, but danax's analogy isn't off to me - there is alot to see downtown on foot that would never be seen in a vehicle.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really much more an economic model accounting for people's cost-minimization techniques than it is a matter of mindset.

No. It's not. It has to do with the fact that it is too far to walk from your house to the store. But, knock yourself out with the economics.

BTW, the 40% figure is quoted often. Google it.

Huh? :huh:

I'm saying that getting from Point A to Point B in a place like DT is an adventure, like canoeing the Amazon. You'll arrive, maybe sweaty and slightly winded but the trip itself could be the best part.

If you're going from Suburban Point A to Suburban Point B the same distance away, you have no compelling reason to walk so the trip is like a flight between airports; getting it over as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the clarification. With the exception of June 2001, I just couldn't make that connection.

BTW he did mention his rent is 5000/month.

Gee, I wonder whether his rent went up recently? <_<

Seems like LRT has this knack of killing off businesses, if not in the construction process, or by faults of design, then by drastically-inflated land values. Its no wonder that Richmond business owners don't much care for it. What's worse, I'd be willing to bet money that this lot will sit vacant for many years before anybody even talks about doing anything with it.

No. It's not. It has to do with the fact that it is too far to walk from your house to the store. But, knock yourself out with the economics.

BTW, the 40% figure is quoted often. Google it.

Too far to the store, you say? No kidding.

Stop citing sourceless hearsay and give me data that is valid to the matter at hand.

The owner was just on the ch 26 news. He did state that accessibility killed his business. He heard repeatedly that it was too difficult to get to the establishment. BTW he did mention his rent is 5000/month.

i would have thought he owned his space by now. guess we can't always make assumptions.

You know, I don't buy his argument that rail killed his store.

If he had such a dedicated group of people, they would have made it there on a regular basis and perhaps would have made his place a bit more appealing. It's located on one of the few left turns allowed ONTO main street. Word of mouth can only take you so far.

I've heard it was a great place, but the place looked a bit seedy to me and the place wouldn't have appealed to those that are simply driving by.

I don't think he was arguing but rather was only making a statement. I remember his place was a zoo esp at lunch. He did say his regular customers called and said it was just too difficult to get there now. As to being seedy, if you're afraid, then there are many GREAT places you'll be missing out on!

I don't buy it either. 5 years after they started construction, and 3 years after the line opens, people FINALLY decided the strain was too much? So, they call him up and TELL him? Who the hell does that? And, what kind of wimp can't get to his store? Not a very loyal customer, if that is true.

I think the poor 79 year old man is just tired after all these years. Restaurants are a tough business. Maybe he is just ready to retire.

Rail enabled me to get there more frequently since I only drive to work once a week.

But he's still crazy.

The place was "cash only". How many people carry cash anymore? Maybe taking credit cards could hvae increase his business.

The "cash only" thing is surprising there but I frequent a couple of places that are cash only so i guess it's not unique.

Back when it looked like I would be moving back to Houston, a business partner and I looked at a potential retail space at the Isabella Court. We spent hours at the New Orleans Po-Boy shop eating and watching.

For us, we were RELIEVED to see just how many people were walking from the Ensemble Station to the Po Boy place at lunch time. Many were obviously employees of the Med Center since they were wearing their scrubs. He had lines at lunch for almost two solid hours on every day of the week that we went to check it out.

Additionally, it was VERY easy to get to his restaurant by car. If you were driving from downtown, you'd just head South on Main. If you were coming from points west (Montrose), you could take a right onto Main from West Alabama. Parking was quite plentiful in the lot and on the side streets (Isabella St comes to mind).

I simply don't buy it that rail killed his business. Business appeared to be so strong, that we were all set to sign a lease at the Isabella but we lost out to a gallery owner who has apparently done quite well right across the street from New Orleans!!!!!

here is the video from 26: link

finally - fox's web site went live!

i am accessing their site and it is incredibly slow (at least downloading the video portion) ... i have cable and it's 1 a.m. ... would think it would be quicker.

Back when it looked like I would be moving back to Houston, a business partner and I looked at a potential retail space at the Isabella Court. We spent hours at the New Orleans Po-Boy shop eating and watching.

For us, we were RELIEVED to see just how many people were walking from the Ensemble Station to the Po Boy place at lunch time. Many were obviously employees of the Med Center since they were wearing their scrubs. He had lines at lunch for almost two solid hours on every day of the week that we went to check it out.

Additionally, it was VERY easy to get to his restaurant by car. If you were driving from downtown, you'd just head South on Main. If you were coming from points west (Montrose), you could take a right onto Main from West Alabama. Parking was quite plentiful in the lot and on the side streets (Isabella St comes to mind).

I simply don't buy it that rail killed his business. Business appeared to be so strong, that we were all set to sign a lease at the Isabella but we lost out to a gallery owner who has apparently done quite well right across the street from New Orleans!!!!!

i can believe it ... to be honest the rail scares me a bit when i am in a car. on foot it's fine.

i sometimes don't know when it is safe to go, etc. and turning seems to be an issue as well seeing that you cannot turn meaning, often you have to cicle a block and hit the rail intersection from another street.

not saying that rail killed his business, but it probably made it more difficult to reach. people are creatures of habit and if it is even slightly more difficult/hassle to do something often (i do this too) we'll just do something else.

example: i love burritos. i like chipotle burritos, but when i moved from westchase (and the burrito bros @ westheimer near royal oaks country club) it is more difficult to get to the one on gm1960. i am closer to i45 and they are way down near willowbrook. as much as i would love a burrito sometimes, i just do not go, because i do not want to battle traffic on 1960 and it's just plain too far. do THEY miss my business? no. but for a small company like nola po'boys, a loss of customers (say 30 - 50 percent) could be detrimental.

i am accessing their site and it is incredibly slow (at least downloading the video portion) ... i have cable and it's 1 a.m. ... would think it would be quicker.

They still don't let you accese there weather radar like the "wunder ground" does. And when they do show you there radar they stand right in front of the tv screen, I screem out get the hell out of the way, tuts!

Not only is walking between Suburban Point A to Suburban point B unappealing, sometimes it's downright difficult. For example, there's no clear path for people who enter or exit the Galleria from Westheimer. Pedestrians are obligated to wend their way through an unmarked parking lot and squeeze through a small gap by the parking garage. It really sucks.

Likewise, crossing the street on foot in many suburban areas ought to be classified as an Extreme Sport. Due to a lack of crosswalks and inattentive drivers, it should not be attempted by anyone who feels he still has something to live for.

If you listin very closely he said ''i was told that the rail put me out of business".

the reporter said, "this is the sound that the owner blames for its demise," to which pete replied, "I hear the rail - they're putting me out of business."

i can believe it ... to be honest the rail scares me a bit when i am in a car. on foot it's fine.

i sometimes don't know when it is safe to go, etc. and turning seems to be an issue as well seeing that you cannot turn meaning, often you have to cicle a block and hit the rail intersection from another street.

i think the site slowness is because of the "alerts" applet thingy that spans the page - i always get hiccups when that is loading...

and about rail - i guess i am used to it since i walk/use/drive around every day, but most of it is common sense. i will admit that there are a few turns (left and right) that can be tricky, but that's why there are "no right turn on red" signs and illuminated "no left turn" signs when trains are approaching.

start small rail rant:

the best part is when (along fannin comes to mind) people sit in the main lane waiting for the big red X to go away so they can make a left turn. also, when travelling north on san jacinto, right before 59, there is a weird light (they should have backed it up a bit, i think) where if you stop on red AT the light, you are sitting on tracks. there is a large solid white line a ways before the light that you're supposed to stop at, but i have seen many people on the wrong side of the barricades when the train goes by :wacko:

the rail line hasn't bothered the patrons of other establishments along main. Julia's Bistro, Sammy's, Continental Club, etc. appear to be doing just fine. In fact Julia's Bistro and Sammy's opened after the rail line was built.

Maybe he lives in Afton Oaks <_<

Another drawback on suburban walking is that it can be treacherous, especially once you get on the main drag where all the stores/services are. This is especially so in Houston, which has a high percentage of its suburbs lying in unincorporated areas. No sidewalks. Little in the way of buffer zones between the street and the path the pedestrian might try to brave their way along from point A to point B.

Not all of the walks are a drag--walking through residential neighborhoods can actually be very peaceful, depending on your tastes--but it's a sure-fire risk to try to walk down a busy street when there are no sidewalks.

the rail line hasn't bothered the patrons of other establishments along main. Julia's Bistro, Sammy's, Continental Club, etc. appear to be doing just fine. In fact Julia's Bistro and Sammy's opened after the rail line was built.

I know that Sig's Lagoon has shortened their hours recently cause i went and they were closed. Also Richard's Antigues I've seen a sign that says by appointment only. IMO a club is not a good barometer because their hours are so limited. Because the area is relatively empty at night they have no parking problems. kind of like it was at the clubs on washington.

If he had such a dedicated group of people, they would have made it there on a regular basis and perhaps would have made his place a bit more appealing. It's located on one of the few left turns allowed ONTO main street. Word of mouth can only take you so far.

I've heard it was a great place, but the place looked a bit seedy to me and the place wouldn't have appealed to those that are simply driving by.

Very very few restaurants have a set of dedicated regular customers that are capable of keeping a restaurant in operation by themselves. Most restaurants require some combination of visibility and advertising, both of which can be accomplished to a great extent with a high TRAFFIC COUNT, to lure in new or irregular customers. The LRT effectively cut the traffic count in half and put it at a point equidistant between stations.

Also, the restaurant was NOT "located on one of the few left turns allowed ONTO main street". I don't know where you got that from.

The place was "cash only". How many people carry cash anymore? Maybe taking credit cards could hvae increase his business.

There are a lot of advantages to all-cash businesses. ;)

I'm probably in the minority, but I do not carry credit cards. They stay at home and are for emergency purposes only. Cash only.

Also, the restaurant was NOT "located on one of the few left turns allowed ONTO main street". I don't know where you got that from.

Okay, perhaps I should clarify.

If you go west bound on Alabama, there is a signals that allows you to take a left onto main. Along most of the route, it's illegal (for some reason) to make a left onto main.

Houston's eatery scene is very fickle, there are so many establishments that some can be snuffed out if a place is closer that's better, they don't like the crowds at their old place, or any number of factors.

I hate hearing this, as I thought they had the best oyster po-boy in Houston.

Where do we go now? I guess the Ragin Cajun will have to do...even if it is in a bad neighborhood (AO). :P

I wonder if any loyal customers are considering purchasing the business? Maybe the owner was just tired of running the place...at 79, I don't plan to be working full-time.

Try the Jazzie Cafe on W. 19th about half way between Durham and TC Jester. It's small, only 2 tables indoors. A young Vietnamese evacuee couple from NO run it.

Better French bread than Original New Orleans, a tempura-like batter. Oyster, shrimp, roast beef, hamburger poboys and other items.

Robb Walsh panned it in the Press but it's a lot better than he made it out to be --- provided they haven't been cutting corners on supplies as they have on hours. They're only open 10:30-2:30, M-F from what I understand. They go back to NO every weekend to work on their home apparently. I haven't been in about 6 weeks.

I'm sure sorry to hear about Original New Orleans PoBoy closing; I first went there in 1978 I think.

Archived