METRORail Purple Line

Houstonian in Iraq

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On that note, in 1969 the couple offered the city of Houston a gift: Barnett Newman's sculpture, The Broken Obelisk, dedicated to the memory of the late Dr. Martin Luther King. For political reason that remain a sad reflection of the times, city decision-makers rejected the gift. When the city of Houston officially balked, the couple placed the sculpture in front of the Rothko Chapel adjacent to the museum, a chapel the de Menils constructed for people of all faiths and visions. It was an eloquent retort.

http://www.yourhoust...9ddca1ed4c.html

Maybe they should have just moved the "broken obelisk" to this location instead.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm assuming that the Robertson Stadium/UH/TSU Station will be renamed once again since Robertson Stadium has since been demolished. Didn't they know about the school's plans to demolish the stadium back when they went through the stations renaming process? Anyways, I thought the name was too long anyways.

I'm assuming that the Robertson Stadium/UH/TSU Station will be renamed once again since Robertson Stadium has since been demolished. Didn't they know about the school's plans to demolish the stadium back when they went through the stations renaming process? Anyways, I thought the name was too long anyways.

I don't think anyone, including UH, knew about the plans to demolish the stadium back when they went through the station naming process.  And the local communities had a lot of opportunity for input for the station names. 

I don't think anyone, including UH, knew about the plans to demolish the stadium back when they went through the station naming process.  And the local communities had a lot of opportunity for input for the station names. 

Are they going to give the new stadium a different name?

Are they going to give the new stadium a different name?

Good question.   It seems the answer is probably yes.  All references to the new stadium I have seen refer to UH's "new football stadium".  I don't think I've ever seen a reference to the "new Robertson Stadium".

Good question. It seems the answer is probably yes. All references to the new stadium I have seen refer to UH's "new football stadium". I don't think I've ever seen a reference to the "new Robertson Stadium".

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that they plan to sell the naming rights to the stadium.

Naming rights can get tricky, A&M heavily reconstructed Olsen Field and renamed "Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park", except that because the Olsen Field is not found on the exterior of the stadium now (can only be seen if going down Wellborn, and only then only one way), the Olsen family was unhappy that the family name wasn't prominently displayed anymore. We'll see what happens.

Naming rights can get tricky, A&M heavily reconstructed Olsen Field and renamed "Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park", except that because the Olsen Field is not found on the exterior of the stadium now (can only be seen if going down Wellborn, and only then only one way), the Olsen family was unhappy that the family name wasn't prominently displayed anymore. We'll see what happens.

Difference here is that this is not a reconstruction of Robertson Stadium. They completely demolished it. This is a brand new stadium. Also, not once in the past few years have I read an article where they referred to the new stadium as "New Robertson".

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos of the intersection with the Red Line downtown that I took today.

attachicon.gifIMG_1806.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1805.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1804.jpg

Interesting. Looks like the new Southeast Line is going to be connected directly to the Red Line instead of just intersecting it. Am I seeing that correctly? So essentially a train going south from UH Downtown Station could switch onto the tracks going down the Southeast Line instead of down to Fannin South Station.

^ I think that is probably correct, Ricco.

At one time, the plan was for either the southeast or east end line (I forget which; they both run on the same east-west tracks in that segment) would turn and go to what was then planned to be the intermodal center and is now just the Burnett Station.  The other of those two lines would continue west to the Theater District. I'm pretty sure that changed when the Intermodal was elminated and they added the Central Station Main for transfers to the red line.

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest, I figured this was probably going to be the only weekend I'd be able to do this run without construction interfering with the shoot.

I'm "Eh" on whether I like the camcorder, but I might give it another shot in a few months.  Aside from the raindrops interfering with it, do you think it was of a decent quality?

http://youtu.be/w4sbxTeCn1c

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I also really appreciate your real-time videos, ricco. I notice you are really good at timing the traffic lights too. Some people dash from one red light to the next abusing their cars more than necessary. Maybe they should take the train.  :)

Haha it's a little shaky but the effort is much appreciated ricco! 

Well the actual video is no where near as shakey and it's driving me a bit crazy.  Last time I used the camera, I used it to try some time lapse which required me to turn off the steadycam option. I prepared for a LITTLE shakiness, but wow!

Both Green and Purple go east on Rusk and west on Capitol through downtown, and then take their separate ways at BBVA.  

There will be green or purple squares on the car end destination board, just as there is a red square displayed on those currently running.  The destination signs will also state where they are going - that's why such signs exist.

system-map.gif

It's not rocket science.  

Shared tracking exists on other systems, and people seem to deal with it just fine.  Likewise, there's a mix of cars and light rail in the Medical Center here:

arn16_hou-lrt-aerialview-dryden-tmc-stn-

and in other cities throughout the world without the outbreak of utter mayhem.

2-munich-tram.jpg

Archived