Mission Burrito Sells Out

Mexican Restaurants rolls up Mission Burritos

Houston Business Journal - 1:40 PM CDT Thursday

by Allison Wollam

Staff Writer

Mexican Restaurants Inc. has acquired Mission Burritos for its entry into the growing fast-casual dining segment.

The Houston-based company purchased the local two-unit restaurant for $75,000.

Founder Wendy Jones opened the first Mission Burritos, which was once a chain of four restaurants, on West Alabama in 1995 and the restaurant quickly became known for its huge burritos made with fresh ingredients. The second location is at 1609 Durham in the Heights.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&hbx=e_du

is $75,000 a typo? :blink:

Edited by sevfiv

by Allison Wollam

Staff Writer

boy i hope it's a typo...i would have given them $75,001! :lol:

I really hope theydon't change things. I can't say I am impressed with Mexican Restaurants current restaurant operations.

I used to always hit the one in the Rice Lofts when I lived there (and before it closed). I like it a lot better than chipoltle and freebirds.

I am so sorry - MRI is NOT the bottom of the barrel.

I work for them.

i wouldn't call them bottom of the barrell either.

just straight-forward basic tex-mex. nothing stupendous but certainly not disgusting.

now if they reintroduced the old monterrey house candy, i would be a convert :P

i wouldn't call them bottom of the barrell either.

just straight-forward basic tex-mex. nothing stupendous but certainly not disgusting.

now if they reintroduced the old monterrey house candy, i would be a convert :P

You can get the "Old Monterey House Candy" at any Monterey House at the check out counter - costs money now, though!

You can get the "Old Monterey House Candy" at any Monterey House at the check out counter - costs money now, though!

are you sure it's the same that used to be in the bottom of the tray of chips????

last time i was at a monterrey's, they just had regular ol' pralines

But I can throw all that mess into a Burrito at home.

Honestly though, how often does anyone do that?

I don't think this is proof that their 15 minutes of fame is up...They pack them in for lunch!

I think it's proof that the owner wanted out, for whatever reason....and wanted out pretty bad to sell for only $75,000.

by Allison Wollam

Staff Writer

NOOOOO! I love Mission Burritos. Who is this MRI? I'm not familiar with what they own/operate. I'm guessing Monterrey House from the other posts? If that's the case they aren't near the top or even middle of the barrel that's for sure.

Chipolte is lousy. Tried it 4 times in 2 different locations, nasty and boring. When I travel to Ohio for biz people try to take me there for lunch which I refuse everytime. They like that garbage for some reason. But then again they choose to live in Dayton OH.

I like taquerias/taco trucks, but I like my Mission Burritos too. When I'm in the mood for my taco truck, I don't go to Mission Burritos or vise versa. They are too different things.

I actually tried Mission for the first time a few weeks ago. Yeah it's edible but nothing I missed. IMHO, it is just somewhere people go to in order to stay away from the chain that is Chipotle, but honestly I can eat either one. Having two Chipotle's on the rail line is a little too convenient for me.

boy i hope it's a typo...i would have given them $75,001! :lol:

I really hope theydon't change things. I can't say I am impressed with Mexican Restaurants current restaurant operations.

I used to always hit the one in the Rice Lofts when I lived there (and before it closed). I like it a lot better than chipoltle and freebirds.

yeah, i'm thinking $75,000 must be a typo. heck, the equipment in one store is worth more than that.

Make that $725,000. :P

$75,000 did seem a little low...

Link to Houston Chronicle article

i guess that's not a bad figure, but i woulda thought it would have been worth more than that.

i have never eaten at any of MRI's establishments (as far as i can remember), so i can't comment on the quality of food, but the parent company's name sounds very generic and definitely not local (although i noticed one of the chains is only in michigan).

anyhow, i think it would serve better to change the corporate name - make it more "home-y." :)

i have never eaten at any of MRI's establishments (as far as i can remember), so i can't comment on the quality of food, but the parent company's name sounds very generic and definitely not local (although i noticed one of the chains is only in michigan).

anyhow, i think it would serve better to change the corporate name - make it more "home-y." :)

i kinda like the imagery that the word 'mission' sums up ... kinda old west, mexican ... i dunno ... it 'felt' very organic to me.

i kinda like the imagery that the word 'mission' sums up ... kinda old west, mexican ... i dunno ... it 'felt' very organic to me.

it has a nice ring to it -

as far as Mexican Restaurants, Inc., though, it reminds me of the oddity of the taco bell/kfc/pizza hut parent company name: Yum! Brands, Inc. :rolleyes:

I used to eat at Mission Burritos quite often when I lived and worked in Westchase, and they had a location out there. The last couple of years I haven't been there very often. Just never think about it. Anyway, I always liked Mission better than Chipotle and Freebird's. Hopefully MRI will leave Mission alone, but I've never been too impressed with the quality of any of their restaurants I've eaten in. They've always struck me as places that are really good to people who don't know any better. It's like saying Red Lobster is a wonderful seafood place, or Olive Garden has the best authentic Italian food, simply because you've never been exposed to anything better. MRI has always seemed to target that category of customers.