Mission Burrito Sells Out

Ok, can't take it anymore. MRI - ok. They used to own Casa Ole, and the name of the company was, guess what, Casa Ole. Then they bought Monterey's, invented Tortuga, Crazy Jose's, La Sinorita, etc, and Mexican Restaurants, Inc. was born. If you've never had the food, you can't judge the company. I work for them. Is all the food wonderful? You judge - THEN tell me that it isn't a match for Mission Burrito. It is a great match food wise and business wise. They were going under. Now the concept will survive. JEEZE!

Sorry, Pap.

A couple of friends of mine worked for Monterey's Little Tex-Mex a few years back under Glowacki. The food was AWFUL! We were given coupons to eat there for FREE, and quit going. We were apprehensive about Tortuga's when it opened, and it was so-so at the beginning, but it quickly went downhill, in both food and service. I don't know anything about La Sinorita or Crazy Jose's and Casa Ole is comparable to Taco Bell. The only positive thing I can think of was when Larry Forehand was recognized last year by the Houston Restaurant Association at U of H for his efforts in opening his restaurants quickly after Rita hit, and making sure his employees were well taken care of. His speech was truly moving, he seems to think of his employees as family members. In conclusion: liked Larry, never cared for Glowacki, food better elsewhere, sorry...

Edited by pineda

I have eaten at some of MRI's restaurants. The food has usually never been better than just average, and in some cases, very poor. When I first moved to Houston we ate lunch some at the Tortuga that used to be on Gessner just north of Westheimer. It was pretty good at first, but then the quality started to go downhill, and then the location closed. I know of at least four other Tortuga locations that closed around the same time.

I don't mean to offend anyone who works for MRI or loves their restaurants. But the fact is, there are much better Mexican places in this city. I've never had a bad meal or bad service at a Mission Burritos location. Hopefully that won't change with this acquisition, but based on previous bad experiences at multiple Casa Ol

Ok, can't take it anymore.

Hey Pap, please don't take our comments personally. You may work for the company but unless you are the owner, you're just an employee and should learn to take criticism of your company. It's not worth your stress levels, especially from a few folks on a message board. It's good you are passionate, but the energy you are expending on defending you company could be used creatively in your place of employment.

Take a deep breath, sit back and just soak it up. Folks are gonna dog this buyout for a while, anytime a small company is bought out by a bigger one, there's gonna be an uproar.

My main concern is food quality. Will MB and MRI continue to order MB food from their original suppliers or will MRI just bring in cheap, Sysco like knock-offs?

You are right, until we try the new food, we can't really comment except based on our previous experiences with other MRI companies.

FWIW, I was in MB last week and the food was still the same, but the employees are grumbling and there were some contractors in there already measuring out stuff for new changes!

Edited by groovehouse

• 2 weeks later...

Pap I understand that if you work there, you have a different perspective. But to some of us Mission Burritos isn't just a concept, it's quality food at a good price.

Sorry I can't say the same for Casa Ole (and I am a native), Tortuga's or Monterry's. To me Casa Ole and Monterrey's are along the lines of a frozen tv dinner. So I'm more than a bit concerned.

Pap I understand that if you work there, you have a different perspective. But to some of us Mission Burritos isn't just a concept, it's quality food at a good price.

Sorry I can't say the same for Casa Ole (and I am a native), Tortuga's or Monterry's. To me Casa Ole and Monterrey's are along the lines of a frozen tv dinner. So I'm more than a bit concerned.

I don't work there and the torillas that are used there are horrible. Just like those used at Casa Ole, etc NOT HOMEMADE!

i just got back from lunch at Monterrey's Little Mexico on Kleckley (Almeda Mall).

i was pleasantly surprised. the food was very edible (No, they don't have homemade tasting tortillas - but i did not expect them to). The service was excellent. i would classify it as decent old-time gringo tex-mex - just not quite up to par with a lot of the independent restaurants we now have in Houston (we are so spoiled). However, i can see it being a solid chain restaurant, especially in other parts of the country (where there is less competition and less exposure to real mexican food).

AND they had a very good facsimile of the original Monterrey House candy (as Papillion mentioned). It seemed to be just a tad softer than i remember it. It is made by El Original Candy in New Caney. I may have go back just to raid their candy tray! :wub:

If MRI doesn't make too many changes at Mission Burritos, I can see it doing fine. They seem to run a good ship, at least at that location.

Edited by gnu

i just got back from lunch at Monterrey's Little Mexico on Kleckley (Almeda Mall).

i was pleasantly surprised. the food was very edible (No, they don't have homemade tasting tortillas - but i did not expect them to). The service was excellent. i would classify it as decent old-time gringo tex-mex - just not quite up to par with a lot of the independent restaurants we now have in Houston (we are so spoiled). However, i can see it being a solid chain restaurant, especially in other parts of the country (where there is less competition and less exposure to real mexican food).

AND they had a very good facsimile of the original Monterrey House candy (as Papillion mentioned). It seemed to be just a tad softer than i remember it. It is made by El Original Candy in New Caney. I may have go back just to raid their candy tray! :wub:

If MRI doesn't make too many changes at Mission Burritos, I can see it doing fine. They seem to run a good ship, at least at that location.

Thanks gnu. I appreciate you. Email me your address and I'll send you some coupons!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the one near Shepard around labor day weekend. It was just not good. The serve sucked. The girl making my burritto acted like she was doing me a favorite. You'd have thought I'd asked for her kidney. There also wasn't enough choice in my burrito innards. Only two kinds of torillas, no refried beans, only one cheese, bad salsa, only two meats, only a couple vegetables, and piss poor service. I really wanted it to be different, but sadly it wasn't.

• 1 month later...

now they have a new CEO:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&hbx=e_du

Curt Glowacki, chief executive of Mexican Restaurants Inc., has stepped down as president and CEO, effective Dec. 15.

Glowacki has accepted a senior position with an undisclosed company.

Lou Neeb, chairman of the board of directors, has been named CEO. Lou Porry, the company's operations director, has been named chief operating officer, effective immediately.

:unsure:

• The title was changed to Mission Burrito Sells Out