METRORail University Line

ricco67

I dont need to walk through Afton Oaks. Its filled with old single story homes that complement the old single minded individuals that dwell in them. If the people there think they are "elite", perhaps they should get out more............

Actually, we are seeing a large increase of new million dollar + construction. A very visible counter to those who fear for our neighborhood. People don't invest when they think LRT will ruin the area they are investing in.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I refer you to Aftowl's post of a few days ago regarding million dollar plus McMansions - they are going up right and left. Take a walk or a drive and see it for yourself.

Going up now, meaning you dont reside in one. I would guess the people moving into them are not backward when it comes to the future mobility of the city as a whole. They are probably youthful. That seems to be a recurring thing with YOUTH. Youth supports growth and progress, the antiques usually dont.

Actually, we are seeing a large increase of new million dollar + construction. A very visible counter to those who fear for our neighborhood. People don't invest when they think LRT will ruin the area they are investing in.

touche'!

Going up now, meaning you dont reside in one. I would guess the people moving into them are not backward when it comes to the future mobility of the city as a whole. They are probably youthful. That seems to be a recurring thing with YOUTH. Youth supports growth and progress, the antiques usually dont.

Darned if you do darned if you don't. I will leave it to speculation on whether I live in "McMansion" or not. If I state that I do then I am labelled pompous, If I state that I don't then I am labelled antique. Either way apparently you read, but didn't comprehend my post regarding the younger families - the ones that I have talked to are against rail on Richmond, for the same reasons that I am. Further you fail to understand that I am not anti rail, just anti rail on Richmond. There is a big difference. We disagree only on the proposed route, not the concept, and not whether rail is a good thing for Houston overall. It seems to be a tendency on your part to just take what you want from a post and then make broad generalizations. Try to pay more attention to detail. It will serve you well as you reach adulthood.

Either way apparently you read, but didn't comprehend my post regarding the younger families - the ones that I have talked to are against rail on Richmond, for the same reasons that I am.

If your posts here are any indication, I'm guessing new AOers you encounter are willing to say anything just to get you to shut up and leave them alone. ;-)

From the Plain English box: "Here's a quick explanation of the issues that should be a bit easier to understand" What followed was Lucas Wall's translation of the Metro ballot. It's beside the point. The only language germane is that which was on the ballot.

I was simply replying to your comment "Ballot language is not filtered through the Chronicle." It clearly was rewritten in the Chronicle for those who might be confused. I didnt say anything about them rewriting the ballot.

If your posts here are any indication, I'm guessing new AOers you encounter are willing to say anything just to get you to shut up and leave them alone. ;-)

You are entitled to your opinion. Interestingly I am usually walking my dogs when I meet the younger families. My dogs are a little unusual and kids in particular seem to gravitate to them so frequently the parents or kids start the conversation. I think if most of the people on this forum met me in that circumstance and then later found out that I am Aftonag they would be surprised. Contrary to what you might think I don't just run up and say, "Hi, nice to meet you, sre you against rail on Richmond?"

(aftowl @ Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 @ 11:47am)

touche'!

parer!

Many of the people building here already lived here and are just "upgrading", many others inherited older homes from their parents, or relatives and are tearing down and building new homes, and both of those groups are vocally anti rail on Richmond. Of course if Aftowl really lived in Afton Oaks he would know that.

And, WHY NOT garner as much support for a bond election as possible? Should they have TRIED to lose it? If they think a bond issue is needed, they should at least try to get it passed.

Of course METRO shouldn't have "tried to lose it," but they shouldn't have actively tried to win it as a matter of political maneuvering, either. If they think that they've got an idea worth investing a great deal of taxpayer money into, they should present their best idea in an unbiased for an up-or-down line-item referendum. Let the taxpayers decide fairly and without any sort of trickery or bias whether each idea is worth the money.

I say this because I have a fundamental distrust of politicians and others who claim to serve the public. Too often, they either have ulterior motives or are just plain stupid. And even if I did trust METRO to make and carry out decisions in a suitable manner, there'd be no guarantee that there wouldn't eventually be turnover within their ranks resulting in a powerful and stupid set of incumbents. Which do you trust more, Red: politicians or voters?

As for your last paragraph, last time I checked, METRO was a nearly county-wide entity. As part of a bond election that ALL METRO service area residents will pay for, METRO proposed to serve ALL of the service area, including suburban residents, inner city riders, carpoolers, and bicyclists. This is somehow a BAD thing? I can see how it is bad for those who oppose rail, but an election was held and the measure passed. Clearly, a majority of METRO's taxpayers considered it a good thing.

IF what you suggest is true, I applaud METRO for not only running a good transit system, but also for expertly navigating the political transit minefield.

You are correct that the large service area isn't a bad thing, but to lump "suburban residents, inner city riders, carpoolers, and bicyclists" together for a vote on a package of projects is a bad idea. The package ends up including investments that vary between the tried-and-true meat and bones of public transportation and politicians' pet projects. There's no option for reasonable people to take the good and leave the bad.

METRO's job is not to "navigate the political transit minefield," but to serve the public. Very simple, really.

But no...it has become a massive clusterf___.

You are entitled to your opinion. Interestingly I am usually walking my dogs when I meet the younger families. My dogs are a little unusual and kids in particular seem to gravitate to them so frequently the parents or kids start the conversation.

Edited

Edited by Subdude

In the end, it is just ____ing light rail. It won't kill anybody. Let it go down Richmond god damn. It's not that big of a deal. No one is going to have to leave their house or anything. No properties taken either, oh except for four feet of grass less that you have to cut every two weeks.

In the end, it is just ____ing light rail. It won't kill anybody.

Yes it will. On May 10, 2005, it killed a man. But that can certainly be prevented if it is elevated or grade-separated.

And not that I expect anyone will take this seriously, but labor economists estimate that the net present value of the average person's life is $6,000,000. And let me reinforce the notion that this is the AVERAGE person, down to the average age, average income, and average intelligence. Very young children aren't worth much; neither are the elderly. And some people are literally better off dead.

So the capital costs of the $360 million dollar Red Line were economically equivalent to sixty peoples' lives.

Edited by TheNiche

Yes it will. On May 10, 2005, it killed a man. But that can certainly be prevented if it is elevated or grade-separated.

And not that I expect anyone will take this seriously, but labor economists estimate that the net present value of the average person's life is $6,000,000. And let me reinforce the notion that this is the AVERAGE person, down to the average age, average income, and average intelligence. Very young children aren't worth much; neither are the elderly.

So the capital costs of the $360 million dollar Red Line were economically equivalent to sixty peoples' lives.

When did this happen? This is news to me........

My goodness! $6,000,000? That would be for the average white person, wouldn't it? I can't help but beleive there are some out there worth considerably less! (I think we all know who THEY are!) By the way, was there damage to the train and who will pay for THAT???

And if the capital costs of the $360 million dollar Red Line were economically equivalent to sixty peoples' lives, imagine what it could be for 10 miles of Metro's Human Barge on Richmond! (big numbers baffle me-thank GOD for accountants, I always say!)

Why just today I couldn't resist whipping out a quick blogget on just that subject (Satanic Metro and their Snakes on a Train, not accountants!)

http://thenativechristian.blogspot.com/

Edited by NativeChristian

My goodness! $6,000,000? That would be for the average white person, wouldn't it? I can't help but beleive there are some out there worth considerably less! (I think we all know who THEY are!)

If the capital costs of the $360 million dollar Red Line were economically equivalent to sixty peoples' lives, imagine what it could be for 10 miles of Metro's Human Barge on Richmond!

Why just today I couldn't resist whipping out a quick blogget on just that subject!

http://thenativechristian.blogspot.com/

The average American citizen with perfectly average characteristics. One of the critical considerations is the ability for people to reproduce and that the long-term trend is for each successive generation to create a lifestyle for themselves that is better than the previous generation, so that is factored in as well. Economists also try to account as best they can for less direct factors, such as the value of individuals' savings and investments in the financial markets. If you put it all together and discount it to net present value at the long-term risk-free rate of return (usually near 3%), you get a figure right around $6,000,000.

The average American citizen with perfectly average characteristics. One of the critical considerations is the ability for people to reproduce and that the long-term trend is for each successive generation to create a lifestyle for themselves that is better than the previous generation, so that is factored in as well. Economists also try to account as best they can for less direct factors, such as the value of individuals' savings and investments in the financial markets. If you put it all together and discount it to net present value at the long-term risk-free rate of return (usually near 3%), you get a figure right around $6,000,000.

The Native Christian is absolutly dizzy with all this math just dancing in her head! Would it be easier if we could just price people by race and class-upper class whites like ourselves excluded of course because we ARE priceless (You ARE Upper Class White aren't you?)-because 3% of this and 3% of that is just too busy for us. Would it be easier for us to say that the Calvin Kleins we give to our cook, Juanita, would be worth, lets say, 50% less because they are used? But that's not a good comparrison because as good as a tamale maker our little Juanita is, we're not quite sure she's worth even half of $6,000,000 (that would be $3,000,000, right?) Besides, if Juanita ships them off to her sister in Honduras, their value is sure to drop so we can see this formula just isn't going to work...

You seem like a nice young man-maybe you could simplify it for us.

We've always been facinated by how social issues like this impact our buying power. Especially when it comes to couture...We always feel we're paying too much! But a girls gotta live!

Oh yes, was the poor train damaged too terribly when that dreadful individual had the gall to disregard a red light?

Edited by NativeChristian

so he ran a red light and got killed.....after studying this statement vigorously i can assume that he was a dumbass

To my knowledge, economists have not built darwinism into their models.

Seriously though, we all have our dumbass moments. And some of us get stuck occaisionally riding shotgun with dumbass drivers.

I wasnt speaking about that oh clever one..........
...right over my head...
The Native Christian is absolutly dizzy with all this math just dancing in her head! Would it be easier if we could just price people by race and class-upper class whites like ourselves excluded of course because we ARE priceless (You ARE Upper Class White aren't you?)-because 3% of this and 3% of that is just too busy for us. Would it be easier for us to say that the Calvin Kleins we give to our cook, Juanita, would be worth, lets say, 50% less because they are used? But that's not a good comparrison because as good as a tamale maker our little Juanita is, we're not quite sure she's worth even half of $6,000,000 (that would be $3,000,000, right?) Besides, if Juanita ships them off to her sister in Honduras, their value is sure to drop so we can see this formula just isn't going to work...

You seem like a nice young man-maybe you could simplify it for us.

We've always been facinated by how social issues like this impact my buying power. Especially when it comes to couture...We always feel we're paying too much! But a girls gotta live!

Oh yes, was the poor train damaged too terribly when that dreadful individual had the gall to disregard a red light?

Uh...ok. I know that sarcasm is your thing, but this kind of stuff gets old quick. Smart, witty, or less verbose jokes are more appreciated, at least by me.

I don't know of the extent to which the LRT vehicle was damaged. The condition of involved vehicles isn't exactly very exciting or controversial, so they usually don't comment on it in the news. To my knowledge, LRT vehicles have fared pretty well in past crashes.

Edited by TheNiche

And not that I expect anyone will take this seriously, but labor economists estimate that the net present value of the average person's life is $6,000,000.

Personal injury juries disagree with you and your economists. And the value of a life when the accident is your fault is Zero. In this case, the guy ran a stoplight. I don't think his family even filed suit.

Personal injury juries disagree with you and your economists. And the value of a life when the accident is your fault is Zero. In this case, the guy ran a stoplight. I don't think his family even filed suit.

Yes, well our legal system is fault-based and juries 1) base their outcomes on much different measures than do economists and 2) are easily swayed. Economists include measures of consumer and producer surplus, which labor market prices do not capture without intensive analysis.

But if this guy was a doctor just out of med school (not saying he was, but it's certainly plausible) then the next 20 to 30 years of his productive life would've been instantly cut short. Regardless of whose fault it is, society just lost out big time because it payed for that person's upbringing and education without obtaining any of the benefits thereof.

That's all? I was hoping for an analysis with some meat on it. Comparative speeds of travel, at the very least, would've been appreciated. Say, has anybody filed a FOIA to ask for a greater depth of information?

Also, didn't the Red Line cost about $360 million? How come this one only costs $99.8 million to cover about the same distance?

True, 57% is more than 43%, but it does show a significant group still likes Richmond avenue, and on a broader scope, we do have over 1 million people within the 6-10 loop that could feasably benefit from this line, and 430,000 people that do approve is nothing to sneeze at. :mellow:

Still the fact that METRO has received more letters against Richmond than for Richmond should send a very clear message to the our Mayor. The guy that said, "I wont cram rail down the throats of those that don't want it."

This is a new one. This old pervert has found a new way to pick up kids, using its mangy dogs instead of candy, i will alert the police department........

I think most of the posters on this forum will agree with me that you are way over the line with this post.

This is a new one. This old pervert has found a new way to pick up kids, using its mangy dogs instead of candy, i will alert the police department........

This is really a bizarre and out of line remark for a HAIF member.......show some class or go elsewhere.

parer!

Many of the people building here already lived here and are just "upgrading", many others inherited older homes from their parents, or relatives and are tearing down and building new homes, and both of those groups are vocally anti rail on Richmond. Of course if Aftowl really lived in Afton Oaks he would know that.

The matter is irrelevent as to who is building, A-owl's statement remains true. If people are still building, then they are confident that the A-oaks wil remain a solid property investment (which it truly is), therefore there is nothing that is really going to affect your property values... unless high street adversely affects it.