METRORail University Line

ricco67

I don't think anyone would be opposed (too much) to a subway. The problem is to justify the cost of one to the Feds who has to approve it. From what I understand, even New York can't really get the funds that they need for new lines.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all know thugs love using public transportation.

"Love" is a pretty strong word. You must work for Metro. I think your average "working-class" thug views Metro rail as a necessary evil when getting from point A to your back pocket is his objective. As our average thug works his way up from rail station muggings to a "get out the vote" union representative he will no doubt prefer the luxury of the automobile for its speed and efficiency as well as its ample trunk spaced used for holding multiple ballot boxes.

I don't think anyone would be opposed (too much) to a subway. The problem is to justify the cost of one to the Feds who has to approve it. From what I understand, even New York can't really get the funds that they need for new lines.

I think everyone here should be opposed to a subway from a feasibility and cost standpoint. If you're going to utilize ground seperation... like niche said elevated is the way to go.

I think everyone here should be opposed to a subway from a feasibility and cost standpoint. If you're going to utilize ground seperation... like niche said elevated is the way to go.

But one of the arguments that have been used in the past is that they dont want an elevated rail system to blot out the sun.

But one of the arguments that have been used in the past is that they dont want an elevated rail system to blot out the sun.

Direct sunlight in Houston, TX isn't worth $100,000 per linear foot (or more) of shadow. If shadow is a problem, then install full-spectrum lighting for a fraction of a percent of that amount. I'd think that there are many months where that arrangement would be more comfortable for pedestrians, anyway.

• Like 1

Direct sunlight in Houston, TX isn't worth $100,000 per linear foot (or more) of shadow. If shadow is a problem, then install full-spectrum lighting for a fraction of a percent of that amount. I'd think that there are many months where that arrangement would be more comfortable for pedestrians, anyway.

Agreed!

"Love" is a pretty strong word. You must work for Metro. I think your average "working-class" thug views Metro rail as a necessary evil when getting from point A to your back pocket is his objective. As our average thug works his way up from rail station muggings to a "get out the vote" union representative he will no doubt prefer the luxury of the automobile for its speed and efficiency as well as its ample trunk spaced used for holding multiple ballot boxes.

I think the highest and best use of ample trunk spaced (sic) for an an up and coming thug would be stashing the body for transport to the nearest construction site with an active slab pour.

I was thinking along the same lines, this isn't New York or Chicago where sunlight is a precious commodity for a large part of the year. Down here, any additional shade is a blessing for about nine months out of the year.

That's an issue in the Heights, to be sure, there's also privacy issues, don't forget, when you're in your backyard sunbathing, you don't want some thug who is mugging a regular passenger to see your scantily clad body.

Honestly, I think rail should be ground level, lets put the freeways underground. getting funding for freeways is easy, and we can justify spending a trillion dollars for underground freeways I'm sure. besides, the thugs who've moved on to rigging ballot boxes would appreciate the privacy a submerged freeway would offer.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I've ever encountered any of these thugs. There are plenty of people muttering to themselves and guarding their plastic bags, but I've never felt threatened. Only assault has been the smell of urine.

I'm not sure I've ever encountered any of these thugs. There are plenty of people muttering to themselves and guarding their plastic bags, but I've never felt threatened. Only assault has been the smell of urine.

That just means its time to change your undergarment. :)

Maybe this has already been broached in an earlier reply, but good lord, MFastX has the geneous idea. Put an elevated line straight down Westheimer... Galleria to 6. The number of apartments on either side within a half-mile has to be incredible, which would drive ridership to all of the surrounding retail & office. I'm convinced that anything on God's earth can be purchased from a business along that stretch... so I have to believe that people would use it. Also, there always seems to be plenty of people waiting for buses and/or [attempting to] walking down Westheimer. Elevate the thing so anyone driving down the road can still make left turns every 500 feet (as it is today).

Why on earth wasn't this a front-runner for early-system construction? Connect Westchase with the Galleria and who-knows-how-many people in between, I'm not even sure you'd need to tie it into the rest of the system to make it useful & profitable.

in today's Chronicle, David Crossley implies the University Line will not be built at all unless METRO recaptures the $0.25 it has to give for streets and other mobility projects NOW, and that w/o that line the Uptown cannot be built.

the tone is a bit panicky but maybe I'm reading too much into it. his earning future is affected by the extent to which Houston adopts walkability and TOD policies, so he would understandably feel a sense of urgency.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Let-s-use-our-transit-taxes-for-transit-3481319.php

The whole thing should be federally funded. This is exactly the kind of counter-cyclical infrastructure stimulus people talk about. Construction costs are much lower during a recession and it puts people to work. I guess it's probably too late now.

Houston is falling behind in rail transit. Here in DFW, they have been expanding rail like crazy. The ridership per mile is one of the worst in America, but at least the rail is there. It will only get more expensive for Houston the longer the city leaders wait. Rail transit is one of the main ingredients that Houston is missing to become world class.

• Like 1

Houston is falling behind in rail transit. Here in DFW, they have been expanding rail like crazy. The ridership per mile is one of the worst in America, but at least the rail is there. It will only get more expensive for Houston the longer the city leaders wait. Rail transit is one of the main ingredients that Houston is missing to become world class.

That's kinda like saying, "Hey they built a ton of homes in Nevada, nobody lives in them, but I'm glad they're sitting there abandoned."

And by the way, it will not get expensive if you choose not to waste the money on it.

I'll have to come up to Dallas sometime to see for myself the world class empty seats on DFW rail.

And in Houston, the best ridership per mile is one of the best in America. Am I missing something?

Contrary to what is pushed by Light Rail Inc all is not rainbows and unicorns.

http://minnesota.cbs...staurant-dream/

highway and road construction has the same impact on business

http://www.wsmv.com/story/17347574/mt-juliet-road-construction-hurting-businesses

http://www.eagletribune.com/haverhill/x1789084728/Road-work-hurts-businesses-drivers

http://myfox8.com/2012/04/11/yadkin-river-bridge-project-on-pace-ncdot-says/

Will widening 290 for toll lanes not have an impact on any local business?

Businesses were lost when the Katy Freeway was expanded.

the anti rail cabal never bring this up when harping on lost business caused by rail construction.

• Like 1

If you ever become a defense attorney, remind me to never hire you.

I think what Trae means is that in the long run, Dallas will be better of because they actually planned for the future. In the future ridership should increase in Dallas. You can see this will all of the developments that have went up and are going up around DART. Houston has decided to build its rail in areas that are already developed (although for the most part suburban). METRO opened the light rail in 2004 and there have been very little TOD along the line, complete opposite of Dallas' DART.

• Like 1

I think what Trae means is that in the long run, Dallas will be better of because they actually planned for the future. In the future ridership should increase in Dallas. You can see this will all of the developments that have went up and are going up around DART. Houston has decided to build its rail in areas that are already developed (although for the most part suburban). METRO opened the light rail in 2004 and there have been very little TOD along the line, complete opposite of Dallas' DART.

Can you give us a list and maybe some pictures of all of the TOD developments that have gone up around DART? I am aware of Mockingbird Station...

METRO opened the light rail in 2004 and there have been very little TOD along the line.

babble babble babble.

So, you're comparing the mainstreet line which was put in an already exceedingly highly developed area of town, and comparing that against an ENTIRE cities rail system?

I think everything that has built up around the Ensemble station is directly related to the rail. That is really one of the only sections of the line that wasn't already highly developed that is along the line. would that stuff have been built without rail? probably, would it have been put there? probably not.

Contrary to what is pushed by Light Rail Inc all is not rainbows and unicorns.

http://minnesota.cbs...staurant-dream/

So you're saying we shouldn't build things that would benefit hundreds of thousands of people, because of a few business owners. So with that logic then we shouldn't have built any freeways.

That's kinda like saying, "Hey they built a ton of homes in Nevada, nobody lives in them, but I'm glad they're sitting there abandoned."

And by the way, it will not get expensive if you choose not to waste the money on it.

I'll have to come up to Dallas sometime to see for myself the world class empty seats on DFW rail.

No, it's not like saying that. Dallas has a commuter rail type system, which usually generates less ridership. You would know that if you educate yourself on transit.

The DFW area is just far ahead as far as rail transit goes. There are two commuter rail lines also. Some of the TODs are Mockingbird, Park Place, Downtown Plano, Downtown Carrolton, etc. The reason the ridership per mile is low, even though rail transit use has been rising, is because there are not any crosstown routes and DFW is pretty spread out. But DFW Airport is soon to be connected to the entire system and Las Colinas. There doesn't need to be as many miles of rail in Houston because its more concentrated there, so the potential for higher ridership and use is there also. Even just the inner loop light rail lines would do big things for the city. DFW at least has the rail in place, so as the population continues to boom here, like in Houston, people grow around it. Uptown Dallas has light rail and trolly lines. I'm glad there is more rail under construction in Houston, so at least it isn't stuck with just a seven mile line.