Intersection Of US90 And TX73

TexasFreeway.com

I have a photo I need a little help identifying the date and location.

The best I have been able to determine is early 50's at what is either I10 and McCarty Market St. and McCarty .

Any help is appreciated. Here is a link to the best resolution I have.

Thanks,

http://www.texasfreeway.com/stock/US90-TX73.jpg

EDIT: I had Wayside when I ment McCarty

BTW...Thanks for all your help. I have been working with The Museum Of The Gulf Coast helping them pin-point the spec on the photo. The year has been the real problem. The City of Houston does not have any records of the hotel in the picture, and the people at the museum were having trouble dating the cars.

Thanks again.

One thing that might help narrow it down. In the photograph there is what looks like a high-tension power line left center. On google maps you can see that there are high-tension lines adjacent to the train tracks that parallel Wayside, so it might be near those tracks.

One thing that might help narrow it down. In the photograph there is what looks like a high-tension power line left center. On google maps you can see that there are high-tension lines adjacent to the train tracks that parallel Wayside, so it might be near those tracks.
Are you talking about the exact location of the photo, Subdude? I don't think that is in doubt. It was taken on what is now McCarty looking south at the spot where 73 dead ends into it. Today, that spot is where I-10 crosses McCarty, so everything in the photo was replace by the overpass there now.

90-73.jpg

It would be I-10 and McCarty. 73 is the same as I-10.

I'm interpreting this old map to mean that Highway 73 on it was what later became IH-10. I know that the current state highway 73 doesn't begin until Winnie, which is about 60 miles east of Houston.

• 1 year later...

The best I have been able to determine is early 50's at what is either I10 and McCarty Market St. and McCarty .

Thanks,

That might be Winnie. If you go 60 miles east on IH-10 from Houston, you'll come to the Winnie exit which is both Texas Highways 124 and 73. 124 goes north to Beaumont; 73 goes east to Port Arthur. I assume that photo was taken before IH-10 was built. If it was then 73 might have been the highway that went from Winnie to Houston back then, and 124 from Winnie to Beaumont. IH-10 replaced U.S. Highway 90. But the route of that highway going through Dayton and Liberty is the same today as it was way back then. So without a map from back then to look at, it would be safe to conjecture that if someone in Houston back then wanted to go to Beaumont, they would have taken U.S. 90 and 73 might have been the highway someone wanting to go to Port Arthur would have taken.

Today 73 starts at Winnie, then goes through Port Arthur, then it merges with Texas Highway 87, then it goes up through Bridge City, then it merges with Texas Highway 62 and it ends at IH-10 in Orange. It makes a "loop," starting at IH-10 in Winnie and coming back out at IH-10 in Orange. 124 is fairly short, simply ending at U.S. Highway 69 in Beaumont.

Thanks,

I took another look at the photo. That might be U.S. Highway 90 facing west into Houston and at that time it intersected with Texas 73 which went to Winnie. If that was the case, I wonder if there are "remnants" and "stretches" of what used to be Highway 73 between Houston and Winnie? The planners of IH-10s location for some reason didn't have it run alongside U.S. 90. Instead they ran it farther south, having it turn northeastery at Winnie on to Beaumont.

From 1939 to 1961, SH 73 ran through Houston. From 1939 to 1941, SH 73 ran from Alleyton through Sealy to Katy into Houston, probably was cosigned with US 90. In 1941, I'm not sure what happened to the sections west of Houston, if they were redesignated or what, but SH 73 ran from Houston to a point on SH 87 near Port Arthur. In 1961, SH 73 between Houston and Winnie was redesignated I-10 and SH 73. Part of SH 73 near Anahuac formerly known as SH 73-T is now SH 65.

The reason for the I-10 turn at Winnie is because originally, I-10 was supposed to run into Port Arthur. But, some special interests got involved and they went with the Beaumount alignment instead.

JLWM is correct. I looked in my 1940 WPA Guide to Texas and State 73 runs from Alleyton to Port Arthur, the present route of I-10. US 90 runs from Alleyton through Eagle Lake, Richmond, Houston, Liberty and then on to Beaumont. They appear to be congruous for a short distance between Wayside and McCarty.

I have worked on the East Side for many years but not long enough to remember pre I-10. I forwarded this picture to my fuel supplier, David Conner. His family has owned and operated Conners Fuel and Diesel for over 50 years on McCarty. He confirmed that this was for sure Hwy 73 looking South down McCarty (Hwy 90). When the I-10 East Bound Service Road was completed, the Virginia Courts was directly on the SW corner of the intersection. It is now a truck sales yard called Mustang Equipment. The cafe was "Big Roy's" and is now Don Chiles'.

I think you can also see the Port of Houston Grain Elevators in the very far distance. I was by this intersection today and you can see the grain elevator from IH-10.

JLWM is correct. I looked in my 1940 WPA Guide to Texas and State 73 runs from Alleyton to Port Arthur, the present route of I-10. US 90 runs from Alleyton through Eagle Lake, Richmond, Houston, Liberty and then on to Beaumont. They appear to be congruous for a short distance between Wayside and McCarty.

Thanks for filling me in. As far back as I can personally remember, SH 73 ran for only 30 miles from Winnie to Port Arthur. But recently, it has been combined with SH 87 from Port Arthur and then through Bridge City. Then at where SH 62 begins, SH 73 is combined with it until the intersection with IH-10, then SH 62 continues north and SH 73 officially ends.

I think that the reason why DOT did that was because both SH 73 and SH 87 have always gone to and through Port Arthur, and they wanted to show on IH-10 an exit that displayed a highway going to that city. SH 62 has always been at that interchange, but since SH 62 has always ended into SH 87 in Bridge City, DOT decided to merge/combine SH 73 with SH 62 for the four-mile stretch from IH-10 to SH 87, then merge/combine SH 73 with SH 87 to continue onto Port Arthur.

• The title was changed to Intersection Of US90 And TX73

Archived