Splashtown USA Water Park At 21300 Interstate 45 N.

In potential danger are:

Six Flags Darien Lake outside Buffalo, N.Y.

Six Flags Waterworld in Concord, Calif.

Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver, Wild Waves and Enchanted Village outside Seattle

Six Flags Splashtown in Houston

Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor near Los Angeles

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgeta...159/detail.html

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need Six Flags, especially with the way it's going now. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole franchise went under within the next few years. I wouldn't care. I'm hopeful and even a little confident that something will come our way in the not so distant future. Tilman's gotten into the themed restaurants now with Disney. I can't not see him doing something on a much larger scale in his hometown (Galveston/Houston area) eventually. I know I keep bringing him into this, but I do think he's our best hope for something like this.

I hope the indoor amusment park thingy at the Astrodome does well. I know it's nothing compared to a real theme park, but I think would be a positive sign for it to do well.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I think the Magic Mountain news surprised me as well--but Splashtown's news doesn't. I personally think that the McSchlitterbahn in Galveston would have done a number on Splashtown anyway.

I think Houston would be just fine without a theme park if it comes to that. Nashville seems to be holding up pretty well long after the closure of the iconic Opryland (and it's replacement with the urbanist-preferred Mills mall--Opry Mills). Nevertheless, I think it would still be nice to have one especially for those out-of-town family members who travel to your city (esp. the younger ones).

Actually, Houston is fine as an amusement park town. The problem more lies with Six Flags. If you have an LA-area park that you think you need to shut down then that tells you all you need to know about how your park is run.

I think Six Flags overextended itself and should've focused on their original seven or eight parks (Mid-America, Magic Mountain, Georgia, Texas, Astroworld, etc), which would've allowed them an opportunity to better manage and maintain them.

Even Six Flags Over Georgia is starting to look shabby, and it used to be one of their cleanest parks.

Damn! Houston is not going to have nothing after they sell Splashtown. First, Astroworld and now this. Is Houston going down the drain or what? Everybody now will be heading to San Antonio, Dallas, or even Florida to have a good time.

I hope somebody feel sorry for Houston and build another theme park, or something.

I think the Magic Mountain news surprised me as well--but Splashtown's news doesn't. I personally think that the McSchlitterbahn in Galveston would have done a number on Splashtown anyway.

I think Houston would be just fine without a theme park if it comes to that. Nashville seems to be holding up pretty well long after the closure of the iconic Opryland (and it's replacement with the urbanist-preferred Mills mall--Opry Mills). Nevertheless, I think it would still be nice to have one especially for those out-of-town family members who travel to your city (esp. the younger ones).

I strongly disagree, Houston surely needs a park, i've heard the grousing of the parents and kids not having a place where they can spend some time relaxing together and unwind. Plus, it would also be a good thing to do for those on vacation to have an additional thing to do here in town.

Damn! Houston is not going to have nothing after they sell Splashtown. First, Astroworld and now this. Is Houston going down the drain or what? Everybody now will be heading to San Antonio, Dallas, or even Florida to have a good time.

I hope somebody feel sorry for Houston and build another theme park, or something.

I group, company or corporation is able to crunch numbers and look to see if Houston is a viable market for an amusement park, then they shall be able to do so. the only problem is that it would take a substantial amount of time and money to get off the ground. The Closing of astroworld came as a bit of a shock to everyone in the industry as well as Joe Public in Houston. Until that moment, no one would even ponder opening up a park to rival Astroworld. Now that the park is literally gone, it would take awhile just to find a proper location as well as being able to design rides and such.

An undertaking of this would be just as lengthy in it's planning and development as a major refinery in Pasadena, alot of things needs to be taken into consideration.

if we're lucky, we MIGHT get a park inside of 8 years. By then, my bones would be too fragile to ride the newer coasters. :(

Damn! Houston is not going to have nothing after they sell Splashtown.

Selling something doesn't equate (necessarily) with tearing it down. Land along I-45 in Spring isn't nearly as expensive as along Loop 610 and the competitive environment is now pretty opportunistic, so the existing theme park will probably be the highest and best use of the land.

Lived in Arlington for about 15 years, even worked at Six Flags there. The problem is the Bally Corporation. It could not find it's A** with their hands tied behind their backs, backed into a corner. If they would have left the parks within the original framework (corporate wise) we would not have the problem (have ya been to Six Flags Arlington lately???).

I say that Bally can't operate itself is a bunch of self serving cut-throats is evidenced in Arlington. They opened a water themepark named Wet-n-Wild. It's main competitor was called White Water and was just down the highway. Wet-n-Wild was a total flop for approximately 2 years. Then Bally purchased White Water and immediately closed it.

White Water was located off I30 in Grand Prairie and was a major source of the city's income along with jobs for the locals. Grand Prairie purchased the park from Bally in an attempt to reopen. However, it was discovered shortly after purchase that the Bally Corporation had pumped cement into all of the piping, which completely prevented anyone from any future operations as a theme park.

There ought to be a group gotten together and start a new theme park. Without Bally

I cant believe they let magic mountain go down like that. That was once one of Six Flags' flagship parks aside from Six Flags over Texas

yeah, its quite a park. a friend was there last weekend and he said he heard a couple of workers talking about the possible shutdown, they were all in shock.

I cant believe they let magic mountain go down like that. That was once one of Six Flags' flagship parks aside from Six Flags over Texas

I agree. If anything that park in the San Francisco area should have went. I would place AstroWorld above that place. Although I admit I have not been in three years.

Shutting down is the last thing Magic Mountain will do. From what I understand, the sale is in consideration but there are interested parties if Six Flags decides to sell.

Magic Mountain is a fantastic park in terms of thrill rides, which may have been a factor in considering it to sell. Six Flags would like to go more of the family route and that is not what Magic Mountain is. Besides, if Magic Mountain is sold, the amount of money will be tremendous which would make a nice splash in the 2 billion dollar debt Six Flags is in.

Six Flags Great Adventure is actually the company's best performing park and Magic Mountain is second. But when all is counted Magic Mountain really turns out to be a average park considering the fact it stays open year-around. Six Flags may be at a point where it realizes the worth of the park by selling it to another company, may far exceed the money it takes to run it ( and that includes the constant high cost investment into that park for various reasons).

As far is Houston is concerned most know I am a fan of Theme parks and therefor biased. We all know Houston is a business town but a metro area approaching 5.5 million people need entertaiment options such as theme parks and water parks, whether some believe so or not. Houston is not going to crash and burn if Splashtown closes, but IMO, it will indeed hurt the city.

Again, Great cities have everything. The variety of options in every aspect from housing, to transportation, to entertainment, to shopping a city can present to me, makes it great in my opinion. A single fantastic American art museum doesn't make a city's museum scene great to me. A city offering a variety of fantastic museums makes that city's museum scene great.

Edited by VelvetJ

I expect few of these parks will end up being dismantled like Astroworld. Elitch Gardens in Denver seems to pose the most risk, being land-locked downtown on desireable land. Elitch was moved before only ten years ago.

Splashtown will probably find a buyer, it does pretty good business and is far enough away from Schlitterbahn to still be viable. It's not a big money property on exceptionally valuable land. Darien Lake also already has a potential buyer lined up to keep it open as a park.

Magic Mountain is interesting. It has a lot of problems. Company wide the new Six Flags management wants to take things in a more family friendly direction but there's no way Magic Mountain can compete with Disney, Knott's, and Legoland in this region. Magic Mountain was built up into a thrill park by the previous regime, the same guys who created the enormous company debt which is forcing Shapiro's hand to divest properties. Cedar Fair just finished buying the Paramount chain, and they have their own park just an hour or so away. I don't see CF buying MM or any other regional park operator for that matter. The place just doesn't fit with the image other operators like Silver Doller City or Anheiser Busch want. So things could go either way here, the park could remain open with a new owner or it could be stripped and sold for the land just like SFAW.

In potential danger are:

Six Flags Darien Lake outside Buffalo, N.Y.

Six Flags Waterworld in Concord, Calif.

Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver, Wild Waves and Enchanted Village outside Seattle

Six Flags Splashtown in Houston

Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor near Los Angeles

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/travelgeta...159/detail.html

isn't splashtown officially in spring, texas? not houston.

On the subject of the drain being pulled, looks like flooded Six Flags New Orleans is going down for good.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpupdates/ind..._30.html#157149

So that's three parks in our southern region definitely wiped away this past six months: Astroworld, Adventure Bay, and now SFNO. Remains to be seen if Splashtown soon joins that list.

On the subject of the drain being pulled, looks like flooded Six Flags New Orleans is going down for good.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tpupdates/ind..._30.html#157149

So that's three parks in our southern region definitely wiped away this past six months: Astroworld, Adventure Bay, and now SFNO. Remains to be seen if Splashtown soon joins that list.

I'm not surprised at all. I was reading other forums and the people are pissed off! Invest all this money BACK into the park even though it wasn't doing well before? Does not make sense. Hey is NO population above 30%? No reopen a park even though it might take YEARS to get alteast 70% of the city back.

While I was upset that they closed here in Houston, I don't blame them at all for leaving N.O. If nagin wants to keep them, then forgive part of the lease payments for 5 years. This will give them a chance to repair and do other work that needs to be done.

while it may not be OPEN until for a couple of years, at least give them SOME incentive to stay, otherwise to keep them there without giving them at least some hope of making money is just being selfish.

We already know that Six Flags is not a company to be taken seriously. I thought something was fishy when they started pursuing Fiesta Texas. They were trying to become a monopoly. Probably would have pursued Disney if they had the cash.

In the process, we lose our two biggest theme parks. Houston would be a GREAT investment for a theme park/thrill ride company. Only thing I know is that Astroworld and Splashtown weren't in trouble because people weren't into theme parks. It was because Six Flags is currently lousy.

We should check out FIFA. They're building three theme parks around the world, including one in Miami. We should also check out Busch Gardens, because there isn't a Texas location, and it could easily compete with San Antonio's theme parks.

Lastly, I would LOVE to see Universal or Paramount build a theme park here. They should all be pursued by HCHSA, so taxes from the theme park's revenue could be used to pay off the stadiums and the Dome debts.

Interesting idea about HCHSA being a vehicle for that kind of pursuit. I think that out of all the potential park builders, Paramount would be great, as would Busch Gardens. In fact, Busch Gardens may be better because it already has built in name recognition. I also think that if a park isn't located south of town, then a location in the northeast along US 90 or maybe even somewhere along the Grand Parkway would be fine...as long as it's in Harris County :)

Good explanation of what's wrong at Six Flags.

Six Flagging

Can Daniel Snyder revolutionize the amusement park business?

By Daniel Gross

Posted Thursday, June 29, 2006, at 4:54 PM ET

Daniel Snyder has lived out the dream of every kid picked last for kickball: In 1999, having made a fortune in direct marketing, he bought his favorite sports team, the NFL's Washington Redskins.

Since the beginning of the year, Snyder has been trying to perform his marketing magic on another venerable franchise: Six Flags. And the results thus far have been a rout, with Six Flags on the losing end.

But the spring has been unkind to Six Flags. In a June 22 update, Six Flags noted that through June 18, "revenues were down approximately 1 percent," compared with the same period a year ago. While per capita guest spending rose 14 percent (more families spending money!), attendance fell by 13 percent, largely because of lower sales of season passes (fewer teens loitering around). Shapiro spun the numbers positively: "Make no mistake about it, families are coming back

I just returned from a 2 week vacation to Walt Disney World with my teenage sons. As beautiful as WDW is, it is not geared toward teenagers. There is only a handful of exciting thrill rides in all 4 parks combined. My sons keep complaining about Astroworld being gone...and they wish another park would come to Houston.

Even though Astroworld had become a dump in the past few years, it still had the rides that that my sons loved. (I myself love roller-coasters and miss serial thriller, dungeon drop, and the others as much as them). I was disgusted with how nasty the park had become with the lack of maintenance. Not to mention the employees that worked there were mostly lazy and inconsiderate.

I have never been to Splashtown so I cannot comment on how it was, so if it left Houston I will not miss it. Actually, considering how Astroworld went down the tubes, I'd be happy to see it go.

I'm anxious to see the new Schlitterbahn in Galveston. We have been to the ones in Padre Island and New Braunfels. They are clean, family friendly, I feel safe letting my sons run around without me knowing exactly where they are all the time. If Galveston is anything like the others, most likely we will get the season pass for next year. But Water Parks does not make up for the lack of an Amusement Park.

And since I'm not a Tillman fan, I would have a problem spending my money on tickets to an amusement park that he had involvement with. (The only Tillman thing I saw at WDW as his restaurant...which I did not come close to.)

So, I'm hoping someone does step up the plate and brings Houston a great amusement park.

My 2 cents

Interesting idea about HCHSA being a vehicle for that kind of pursuit. I think that out of all the potential park builders, Paramount would be great, as would Busch Gardens. In fact, Busch Gardens may be better because it already has built in name recognition. I also think that if a park isn't located south of town, then a location in the northeast along US 90 or maybe even somewhere along the Grand Parkway would be fine...as long as it's in Harris County :)

Paramount Parks no longer exist, the ink just dried on a deal where they were purchased by Cedar Fair. CF is in no position now to buy or build another park anytime soon.

Busch is very unlikely, they already have a park in San Antonio and frankly when was the last time AB built a park? In fact, they SOLD their Ohio park a few years ago (to Six Flags!), if that's any indication how interested Busch Gardens is in expanding.