Signature Monument

I'm not sure what the exact term is, but I'm thinking of a structure that would come to signify the city. Examples include the Eifel Tower, Big Ben, St. Louis Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, Brandenburg Gate, and assorted space needles in a number of cities.

Or maybe this proposal?

spiritofhouston1.jpg

Would something like this be of any value for Houston? If so, what should it be?

I'm not sure what the exact term is, but I'm thinking of a structure that would come to signify the city.

Examples include the Eifel Tower, Big Ben, St. Louis Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, Brandenburg

Gate, and assorted space needles in a number of cities.

Would something like this be of any value for Houston? If so, what should it be?

171634642_dcddc85b20.jpg

I like the idea of having a signature monument, but the "Spirit of Houston" proposal looked like such a sore thumb. A sculpture 500ft tall should not be entirely made of chrome. I really wish the San Jacinto monument was in Houston...not because I think it belongs here, because it certainly belongs where it is, but because I think it would be a perfect fit for Houston and would be a lot more popular.

I would like to see the San Jacinto Monument get its due nationally, but that will probably never happen.

Wasn't there another thread discussing some sort of space needle fantasy proposal near the hardy yards development?

The S.J. Monument & Astrodome are key symbols of our humble city...

Along with two sets of 3 skyscrapers... Depending on how you look at it.

Set 1 is

A) Bank of America Center

B) Heritage Plaza

C) Williams Tower

Set 2 is

A) Bank of America Center

B) Pennzoil Place

C) Esperson Building

:wub:

I'm not sure what the exact term is, but I'm thinking of a structure that would come to signify the city. Examples include the Eifel Tower, Big Ben, St. Louis Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, Brandenburg Gate, and assorted space needles in a number of cities.

Or maybe this proposal?

spiritofhouston1.jpg

I figured somebody else would've commented by now...but does it strike anybody else as though she's topless?

didn't think until you mentioned it, i'm sort of glad it wasn't built...

what a horrible tourist photo op.

Wow. That is kind of disturbing. I mean, as cute as she is...why go through the pretense of even giving her such sheer clothing if the light is only going to refract brightly from her crotch at night? And it still seems to me that even though most of the renderings on that site show clothed breasts, the sideway rendering that was posted doesn't.

It'd almost be more tasteful in my opinion to just put up a 500-foot tall statue of the same woman, just plain and open in the nude...her back need not be arched. At least then its inviting and innocent instead of seductive...that's my impression of the artistic subtext of sheer clothing and an arched back, anyway.

If you put my version up on a scale of 50 feet, surrounded by trees in Memorial Park, I think that'd be beautiful...and it wouldn't attract the religious right to some battle over morality, either.

i like the idea of a storm-lady statue...i could just do without looking at a frontal wedgie :lol:

actually it is weird. if you imagine the height, looking up from the ground,

that's pretty much all you see. if you saw that in a fashion magazine you'd

think might be a mistake, but all the time ane effort put into mega statue... ?

no thanks.

either that --- or what about glare?

So what happened to the "Spirit of Houston", why didn't it come about?

how about a big statue of the Allen brothers at Allen's landing ?? I am vague on the details of Allen's landing, but isnt there something like that downtown. They did discover this wonderful steamy city of ours.

So what happened to the "Spirit of Houston", why didn't it come about?

The artist died, and the proposal along with it. Not to mention he didn't have the money.

how about a big statue of the Allen brothers at Allen's landing ?? I am vague on the details of Allen's landing, but isnt there something like that downtown. They did discover this wonderful steamy city of ours.

As long as it isn't by the Big Head on Main Street artist. ^_^

I'm not sure how much of a monument to Houston it would be, but for a while now, I've wanted to see one of those giant statues like that of Sam Houston along the freeway in Huntsville, of a astronaut along the Gulf Freeway in one of those open fields near the Nasa Road 1 exits. I'm sure many people would pull over to take pictures with it on their way to Galveston. There could even be a possible shuttle pick up for the short ride over to Johnson Space Center/Space Center Houston.

NASA and space is very much a part of us as Houstonians so why not? Plus I'm sure it would become a signature in Houston advertising.

I'm not sure how much of a monument to Houston it would be, but for a while now, I've wanted to see one of those giant statues like that of Sam Houston along the freeway in Huntsville, of a astronaut along the Gulf Freeway in one of those open fields near the Nasa Road 1 exits. I'm sure many people would pull over to take pictures with it on their way to Galveston. There could even be a possible shuttle pick up for the short ride over to Johnson Space Center/Space Center Houston.

NASA and space is very much a part of us as Houstonians so why not? Plus I'm sure it would become a signature in Houston advertising.

You could couple that with some other large monument style things like replica space ships and the solar system or something. If you had a theme like that down the Gulf Freeway I think that would be cool and a nice way to spruce it up.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the idea of having a signature monument, but the "Spirit of Houston" proposal looked like such a sore thumb. A sculpture 500ft tall should not be entirely made of chrome. I really wish the San Jacinto monument was in Houston...not because I think it belongs here, because it certainly belongs where it is, but because I think it would be a perfect fit for Houston and would be a lot more popular.

that's chrome? i thought it was ice... i agree though ... it is kinda creepy.

i liked the cows we had on exhibit that were all over. when i lived in baltimore we had fish (like the cows) ...

there are only a few of those art cows left (at the spires?? tower there by the medical center) and i know i've seen some somewhere else, but can't remember.

Archived