Sawyer Heights Information & Developments

wendyps

That lot has been on the market for quite a while, almost a year I think. I think the price is too high still in this market. A clever developer could make a small multi-use project there with both residential and commercial/retail but I suspect a gaggle of McVics lined up side by side in a few years will be the outcome. Don't see anything happening for the next couple of years at least.

i would rather those tall, skinny McVics all in a row than a townhouse development. i hope the ppl who want to develop this look around at all the half completed and only half sold townhomes in the area...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Noticed a couple weeks ago the land on the west side of W TC Jester just south of the Walgreens at 18th street has been cleared. I believe there used to be a commercial for sale sign on the lot. Now it is cleared with a big dirt pile and a backhoe. The address would be in the 1700s of TC Jester, I wasn't successful finding anything on HCAD. Anyone know anything?

Also the former Wild Wild Wing in the strip mall at Ella and 18th St is almost ready for reopening as Flying Dragon Chinese restaurant, per the sign out front.

• 3 years later...

According to the SOS, Texas Loan Star, Inc. is the managing member of 2301 Yale, LLC. It sounds to me like Texas Loan Start Inc. may have outgrown their digs on Heights and are building out a new location on Yale.

Sign on the fence says Röhe & Wright, which is a residential builder, most recently involved with the Caceres development in Rice Military.

Expect townhouses.

Interesting. Surpising that the mortgage broker would hold the property and not set up a separate entity to do the development. If an employee at the mortgage broker does something stupid and gets the mortgage broker sued for big dollars, that new development is an asset of the mortgage brokerage that is subject to sale to satisfy a judgment. That is why I thought they must be building out a new space for their business. But, it does look like they are going to run a mortgage brokerage and do real estate development under a single entity.

• 3 weeks later...

Same builder apparently putting up 6 single family on the parking lot immediately west of the white townhouses at 18th and Ashland.

Going by the sign they put up, they're a mixture of 2 and 3-story detached houses, presumably with alley-access detached garages.

Good to have something going in on a long vacant lot but it would have been better to put it on top of the homeless shelter (old dry cleaners) across the street.

Actually, there's been activity on the dry cleaners building for about the last two weeks.  Some new paint on the outside and yesterday I saw the metal shutters open for the first time since I moved to the neighborhood five years ago.

So they thought it would be ok to clean out the old dry cleaners and just leave all their junk in front for everyone to enjoy while commuting down Yale. I wish they would've left it in their building. I'll be calling COH code enforcement soon to report the "rat harborage".

I've tried searching the city website for any building permits pulled for 2301 Yale, but the permit search does not seem to be working lately. Anybody else having trouble with it or is it just me?

Its a 2 story office building for the loan company.

Thought so. It did not make sense for the mortgage brokers to use their business entity to develop residential property. And their current digs on Heights Blvd are pretty tiny.

I've tried searching the city website for any building permits pulled for 2301 Yale, but the permit search does not seem to be working lately. Anybody else having trouble with it or is it just me?

I've never had the permit site work with anything other than Internet Explorer. Everything else just sits there waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else notice the new 4 story units being built on 2nd Street (Heights blvd just south of I10) that collapses this weekend? Its my daily route, they had completed framing at least three, maybe four units as of Friday 6pm. Take a look of what they looked like Sunday morning. Weather in the hood wasnt that bad to make this happen. Sure wonder what happened. Driven by it twice today and nothing going on.

They are listed on HAR, the signage shows 3 units already sold. Bet those buyers are having second thoughts.

Swampylot has some photos.

Stick framing is susceptible to collapse during construction from high winds. Its a chance builder takes that a rare storm won't blow through before the entire structure is braced/ sheathed. Its not because of "cheap" construction or design. Apartments down the way at this point have a lot of bracing and did not suffer. 

The Bank of America (one story) at Yale/ Waugh and Washington blew down the same way during construction. 

• The title was changed to Private Club Heights Vs. East Texas
  • The title was changed to Sawyer Heights Information & Developments

Archived