Downtown Parking

ricco67

I stopped going Downtown a long time ago because of stuff like this. Just can not afford it anymore. Plus unless you know the trick then you can get in downtown easily enough but not out. It is best just to stay out of that place now.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to post this for the past few weeks:

There has been some work on the parking spaces going on the blocks of 1000 and 900 of Prairie. They've been torn up for at least a month or so. Any word as to what's going on?

• 1 year later...

I assume you don't mean Verizon wireless phone service, but the theater. What's terrifying you? I've gone to several shows there and haven't seen anything scary. Marylin Manson threw a tantrum and stomped off the stage during the middle of his show because his big "DRUGS" sign didn't light up right, but that was just annoying.

Marylin Manson threw a tantrum and stomped off the stage during the middle of his show because his big "DRUGS" sign didn't light up right, but that was just annoying.

He was in a much better mood at Reliant Arena.

There is street parking, valet parking and underground parking all around Verizon Theater. Don't know what else to say, other than this is one of the easier places to park in downtown.

There is street parking, valet parking and underground parking all around Verizon Theater. Don't know what else to say, other than this is one of the easier places to park in downtown.

I always park under the square upon which people used to party. It's the same place I park for Wortham, Jones Hall, or anything around there. Nothing to be scared of.

....Attending a concert in late August, and honestly, I'm terrified.

Only because of parking.....any tips?

Why in God's name are you terrified of parking?? :huh: Well... doesn't matter I guess... you will be Downtown so there will be lots of parking. You can either park on the street somewhere... or where I would recommend... in the underground parking garages in the Theater District (where the Verizon Theater is). There are several entrances... you just have to find one and pull in. It's like $5... well worth it. BUT, if you do park underground, remember where you parked... it can be a little confusing... remember where you walk out and the color garage you are parked in... then you will find your car no problem after the concert.

I always park under the square upon which people used to party. It's the same place I park for Wortham, Jones Hall, or anything around there. Nothing to be scared of.

Same here.

What the hell are you afraid of? Downtown? Parking? Downtown parking? This is possibly one of the strangest questions I've seen so far on HAIF.

I wouldn't pay to park downtown (is this an evening show?) - there are tons of streets to park on. I would also probably avoid a car altogether and rail it, but rail can be "difficult" if you have to park for that, too...

....Attending a concert in late August, and honestly, I'm terrified.

Only because of parking.....any tips?

Theater-district parking is super-easy. Grab street parking if you see it (the meters are off at night and on weekends), or just head to the underground parking.

This map spells it out:

garage_map.jpg

The theatre district website shows Verizon Theatre on there, which is in Bayou Place. You probably want parking 5 or parking 6, depending on where you're coming from. I forget how much event parking costs.

The one issue I've had with the underground parking is I got a touch confused on where the entrance was the first time I used it - if I remember correctly, the entrance lane was actually to the left of the exit lane; it felt wrong in the moment so I missed it and had to circle back around. In retrospect it made perfect sense (the garage itself was located on the left-hand side of of a one-way street, so the configuration meant cars entering and exiting didn't have to cross paths).

So with that minorest of minor caveats, I can say that parking in the theater district is a snap.

Just be careful of those super sneaky no parking signs.. like: No Parking 9am-5pm then 7pm-2am.. got a dam ticket in front of the hard rock down there.. grr..

Everyone else was parked there! :shrug:

I wouldn't pay to park downtown (is this an evening show?) - there are tons of streets to park on. I would also probably avoid a car altogether and rail it, but rail can be "difficult" if you have to park for that, too...

Paying to park is good sometimes if you are running late and need to quickly park the car and get to where you need to be.

Sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty much scared of everything.

But, seriously, it's downtown, which I'm not too familiar with, mixed with the fact that I don't like driving, have no sense of direction, and easily get lost.

I'll figure it out, though.

Thank you all very mucho!

My advice: Do a dry run a day or two before so you can make your mistakes when time isn't of the essence.

• 2 years later...

I don't think the pricing is the problem right now.

For me, its the fact that the majority of the spots around my building are currently blocked off due to construction (they put those slip covers over the ticket machines).

Also, somehow valet companies get to buy off entire blocks in the evening, preventing you from using even more spots.

I would love for visitors to be able to pay the 6 dollars for the entire day, but finding street parking right now can be very frustrating.

Here's a question for someone, if they know:

If I park my car on a street (e.g. Travis across from the Rice Lofts) in the afternoon (say 2pm) that gets blocked off in the evening for valet, are they allowed to tow it?

If I park my car on a street (e.g. Travis across from the Rice Lofts) in the afternoon (say 2pm) that gets blocked off in the evening for valet, are they allowed to tow it?

Just remember that its a no parking zone on some streets from 4-6 pm, you will get towed. But I think the pull in parking spots are fair game on praire.

I don't think the pricing is the problem right now.

For me, its the fact that the majority of the spots around my building are currently blocked off due to construction (they put those slip covers over the ticket machines).

Also, somehow valet companies get to buy off entire blocks in the evening, preventing you from using even more spots.

I would love for visitors to be able to pay the 6 dollars for the entire day, but finding street parking right now can be very frustrating.

It is a public street, unless it states that it is a valet zone, even then it is only to pick up and drop off they can't tow your car just because they want to use it as a valet spot, even if they put a cone there, you can move it.... like the other poster said though, most of downtown is a no park area during rush hour (I think from 4-6pm)

free parking 6pm-7am Mon-Sat, free all day Sunday, designated 'traffic flow' zones that are tow-away zones between 4pm and 6pm (not all streets are like this)

plus, there are some areas that are fire zones 24/7/365 (and they're not marked as clearly as they should be!)

• 1 year later...

Current Final 4 has Houston vs Tulsa:

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/04/08/final-four-parking-madness-tulsa-vs-houston/

Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere - not sure whether this is a widely read blog but it actually made the news in Tulsa.  Kind of interesting, anyway

My money is on Tulsa (my hometown) to take it all.  There's actually been a bit of a resurgence on the north side of downtown there but yeah, downtown in general is still pretty desolate.  If only they had just zoomed out a bit on that shot of Houston....or maybe thrown in a picture of the area around Reliant

Some of the original entrants didn't seem that bad, but maybe my view was biased after working at 800 Bell for a few years

I can't believe they left off Detroit, which is worst than any city on that list.

Wow, yeah the west side of downtown looks pretty bad.  I guess the only thing worse than a bunch of surface parking lots is a bunch of empty surface parking lots

Looks like Tulsa has built a comfortable lead

I really don't understand the point of this article.  Surface parking is a great use for a downtown lot until there is enough demand to build a tower on it. Are they trying to shame developers into building before there is demand? (good luck with that)  Or have local govt pressure landowners to put something else on the lot, which is most likely to be low-rise commercial - or, worse, a parking garage - that will make it even harder and more expensive to redevelop the lot down the line when the demand is there for a tower?  What's the objective here?

Archived