The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Word on the streets is the Ken Bridge of Delicious Concepts has sold all his restaurants (Pink's Pizza, Lola, Shepherd Park, Ritual) minus the Republic Diner + Sojubang to a new entity.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, s3mh said:

http://www.crains.com/article/news/snooze-am-wants-take-over-breakfast-houston

Snooze signs lease in the Heights for another Houston location.  No info on where. People in Montrose love to line up for this restaurant.  

Let the reckless speculation begin!

I'll start: 7th and Yale or 18th and Shepherd. Or maybe 24th and Shepherd.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Esther said:

I'm for 18th and Shepherd too. Having said that, I have never really felt that Houston's lacked diversity of any sort, and I think that its reputation as an ethnic and cultural hub grows stronger each year.

This thread started ten years ago when there were only a few restaurants in the Heights.  The thread has been become an ongoing way to post about restaurant openings.  The title of the thread persists because of the irony that not long ago we all lamented that the Heights had so few places to eat out.

• Like 3

Ahead of Super Bowl LI, a very useful round-up of noteworthy upcoming Houston restaurants, a number of which are in the Heights (or nearby), including:

- Heugel/Yu concept at 6th & Yale

- FM Burger on Shepherd

- Presidio on 11th (former Java Java)

- Starfish on Heights (former Bradley's)

- Field and Tides on 1th (former Zelko)

- Pinkerton's Barbecue on Airline (former Cappelini)

- King's Bierhaus on TC Jester

- Bernie's Burger Bus at 22nd & Yale

- Rice Box on 20th (former Chirp's)

- Heights Bier Garten/Wooster's Annex at 14th & Shepherd

- Mellow Mushroom on Shepherd

My guess is that, of these, 6 or maybe 7 actually open before the Super Bowl.

• 3 weeks later...

We Olive (www.weolive.com) the wine bar/olive oil retailer has finally pulled permits and started building out the old 18 Hand Gallery location on 19th street.  They posted a TABC notice back in February, but the storefront sat empty for months with no activity until now.

• 3 weeks later...

Under the "saw it coming a mile away" file, Alli's pizzaria is closing and will be subsumed by Harold's Tap Room.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-07-16-heights-restaurant-ditches-pizzeria-to-expand-popular-Tap-Room-bar/

Under the same file, Black and White is out of business, but claiming to be retooling for a revised concept despite a rent lock out and wage claims.

http://houston.eater.com/2016/12/7/13866058/black-and-white-closed-employees-owed-money

i have to say that hindsight is not 20/20 when it comes to that location.  At the time Killen was ready to open a steak house in that location, the landlord could not reach a deal with him on a lease.  Four years later and the location has only had a tenant open for just over a year.  

Pinkerton BBQ opens with regular business hours this weekend.  

Noticed that the spot at 2626 White Oak has filed for a TABC permit. The name on the application is "The Ready Room", under the ownership of 2626 White Oak LLC, which is shown to be owned by Ken Bridge, of Delicious Concepts.

Apparently this spot used to be Roeder's Pub... 

Edited by andre154

24 minutes ago, andre154 said:

Noticed that the spot at 2626 White Oak has filed for a TABC permit. The name on the application is "The Ready Room", under the ownership of 2626 White Oak LLC, which is shown to be owned by Ken Bridge, of Delicious Concepts.

Apparently this spot used to be Roeder's Pub... 

The tentatively named "The Ready Room" has had a TABC permit for 2626 White Oak Drive for at least two or three years.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:00 AM, andre154 said:

Back in my young and skinny days, it was The Ready Room (or perhaps Reddy Room), with Milton Hopkins as the house band on Fridays (or maybe Saturdays, or both) (back then we were not as... shall we say... restrained in our habits, so particulars get a little vague).  Good ol' roots Houston R & B, and his backup singers could really belt it out.  

Since the previous incarnation had a level of cleanliness that rivaled Lola's (the bar on Fairview, not the restaurant on 11th), eating wasn't something you did there.  It'll be interesting to see what turns out this time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, s3mh said:

Yes, opening that many concepts in a year is a strain on resources, especially since, given how long it takes to get a restaurant permitted, there is a lot of cash drain before you see your first dollar in revenue. But putting your nanny and a bunch of family members on corp payroll, especially when the company is almost certainly cash flow negative, is super shady.

Sounds like they had a lot of OPM (other people's money), but not quite enough.

Based on their typical reservation availability, Bernadine's is almost certainly making money, and Hunky Dory is probably at least breaking even. Canard seemed to be doing pretty brisk business on the times I had been there, but probably not enough to cover the cost of the entire leased space (operationally, Canard/FC was basically a single space). I'm not a frequent enough visitor to JGB to judge.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a little crepe restaurant on W18th and Yale next door to the super hero costume shop.  Pretty basic menu of sweet and savory crepes. But with all the high end stuff piling into the neighborhood, something new that is small, quick, cheap and easy is nice to have.

• 3 weeks later...

Presidio is opening this weekend.  They had a few soft opening dinners this week.  

There is a new little crepe restaurant over by the comic/superhero store on Yale and 18th.  It is the same guy who was selling Moroccan oils in the same spot.