The Heights Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Freelander

Long boards are nothing new.  We had those in the 70s.  Santa Cruz, Sims, etc.  The small wheels was a 90s-00s thing.  Dumb kids.  Kryptonics made 60, 65, and 70mm wheels in the 70s. Orange were soft, blue medium and green hard. 

it's the actual formula used in pouring the urethane that is dramitically different.  There is no comparison to old wheels, they are completely inferior. 

Wheels were made of clay at one point. 

Of course longboards aren't new, but comparing old ones to new  (like foam core wrapped in carbon fiber) is comparing apples to hand grenades.

I was skating around yesterday and decided to go to happy fatz... forgetting they were closed on tuesday I was crushed! 

Also, not sure if many of you knew Art from Stanton's City Bites, he recently passed away and the heights area restaurant scene has truly lost a great person.

I encourage everyone to go there and get a big burger in the near future, they are now open on sundays!

Edited by SilverJK

I just don't think doubling down on a prior mistake is a good idea. Coltivare knew the city's parking requirements before (8 spaces per 1000 sf), which have also now been relaxed by 10% if Coltivare installs some bike parking.

There is no doubling down. People who work in the warehouse currently park there and people going to the new restaurant will park there regardless of whether the variance is granted. If the City decides to improve the sidewalks along White Oak (don't hold your breath), they will be able to build across the parking spaces and Coltivare will have to find another lot or get rid of the garden. If someone redevelops the warehouse, the City will require them to build a sidewalk across the parking spaces and Coltivare will have to find replacement parking. But, the only difference between granting the variance and not granting it is a garden v. a parking lot. Building a parking lot will be a major expense for the owners as they will have to dig out a sewer connection for the drainage. Of course, they knew that parking was an issue when they bought it, but that doesn't mean the City should deny a variance in order to enforce a right of way requirement that they have never enforced. But, kicking a small business owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance is the kind of thing that keeps people from redeveloping the Heights.

Edited by s3mh

But, kicking a small business (or home) owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance is the kind of thing that keeps people from redeveloping the Heights.

Glad you are starting to notice. When you begin opposing these nut-crushing ordinances we'll really be making progress.

Yeah, be careful s3mh, you're starting to sound like a Historic District opponent.

Sorry. Not taking the bait. Every thread ends up about the historic districts. It is old. And this is apples to oranges.

For those who are not obsessed with arguing about the historic districts, the City has agreed to defer the application to do further study to formulate the staff's recommendation. They will go back before the planning commission on March 28. I hope the Coltivare folks start lobbying the City and the planning commission members heavily. The City planning staff likes to hold their recommendation off until the day before the meeting, making it impossible to lobby the planning commission members to go against the planning commission. With enough time to lobby, you can get the PC to go against the staff (as they did with the new Audi store on Greenbrier and SW Freeway feeder). Hopefully, the City staff will get this worked out and support the variance.

Here is the email appeal sent around to those on the Revival Market email list:

COLTIVARE NEEDS

YOUR HELP!

The Plea:

As many of you know, we are in the process of opening Coltivare, our interpretation of an Italian-inspired, American, neighborhood restaurant, at the corner of White Oak and Arlington Streets.

Undoubtedly, one of the most unique aspects to Coltivare, is the potential to have a 3,000 square foot, fully-functioning vegetable garden, directly to the East of our building.

From day one, we envisioned the green space as having the potential to become that, but knew we faced a few hurdles with the City of Houston, fulfilling our parking code requirement. We didn't let ourselves get our hopes up just yet.

Many of you have probably noticed a lot of "not much" going on with the construction process. This is because we've been going through the variance process with the City of Houston Planning Department.

The variance that we are seeking is one allowing us to utilize parking lots that we have leased adjacent to Coltivare, as spaces to count towards our code requirement.

Across Arlington Street on the North side of White Oak, sits a warehouse space that has been in existence since 1938, best we can tell. Dating back to the 50's, via Google satellite images, those same spaces have been used for parking. They are used for parking today as they will continue to be used for parking tomorrow. Over the last 80 years, as White Oak's right-of-way has widened, it has slowly encroached on the depth of these spaces. They sit between 15'-16' deep now. The City likes 19'. However, there is another 13' from the back of the spaces to the actual street, leaving plenty of room to maneuver safely. These spaces are already legally being used by the warehouse during they day; we simply want to use them at night.

These spaces are what we are trying to get the Planning Commission to approve regarding our variance. Spaces that are already in existence and being used for parking.

We have historically had a very good relationship with the Planning Commission and do not envy their jobs. Given everything that is thrown at them, they do a phenomenal job keeping the City moving in the right direction. The idea of turning existing green-space into another parking lot does seem counter intuitive to Mayor Parker's green initiatives though.

Regarding our variance, they have afforded the Heights community an opportunity to voice your support in their approving our parking plan.

In a perfect world, we would love for you to inundate their emails with a quick note saying you support our variance to utilize existing parking, rather than turn one of the few green-spaces the community has, into another ugly parking lot.

Contact Planner Dipti Mathur Dipti.Mathur@houstontx.gov

Dipti has been graciously reading through all of these emails, but she needs to hear from you.

Also wouldn't hurt to cc:

pd.planning@houstontx.gov

Marlene.Gafrick@houstontx.gov

We also would like to invite you to the Planning Commission hearing, March 28th, at 2:30pm, to verbally support the variance. We will send a follow up email as that date approaches, with more details.

Thank you all in advance for your support. We at Coltivare look very forward to serving you for years to come, and cannot imagine doing this in another neighborhood in Houston. The Heights is our home too.

Best Regards,

Morgan Weber & Ryan Pera

Owners, Revival Market & Coltivare Houston

Edited by s3mh

I think I will oppose this change. People will never understand the problem of giving city government power if we keep asking for variances. It would be best for the neighborhood if Coltivaire is forced to play by the same rules the homeowners do.

How rich. You are completely whipsawed by this, but won't admit it. You would normally rail against the City for taking this kind of position but know that doing so would align you with my position. I guess you are then going to admit that you were wrong about the variances sought for the condo tower on E 5th and Fraiser and for the Trammel Crow project on Yale and 6th? And you will run down to the Planning Commission to oppose the variance sought for the setback for the new construction on Tulane and 11th? Without it, they will probably be forced to build only 5 of 6 planned homes and lose out on a $500k+ sale. They should play by the same rules as everyone else, right? (even as much as I do not like that development, I will readily admit that they should get the variance as the new setback is inappropriate for that project and the immediate area). And you will also get down their asap to call out the City for supporting the variance for Town in City's brewery and tasting room on Cavalcade? Rules are rules.

Thanks to pressure from the community, the City and Town in City have made peace on the variance issue. The deferral is to give Town in City time to have their architect finalize a compromise plan that the City will support for the 15 ft variance.

According to the planning commission's twitter account, variance was granted this afternoon.

I think I will oppose this change. People will never understand the problem of giving city government power if we keep asking for variances. It would be best for the neighborhood if Coltivaire is forced to play by the same rules the homeowners do.

Since I'm opposed to parking minimums on principle, I'm in favor of any and all variances granting relief from them. I think of it kind of like jury nullification. 

Actually, it is more akin to plea bargaining. Government cannot nullify itself. However, it can bend its rules to favor one group over another. It appears that today the City bent its rules in favor of business, just as it did for the condos down the street, Walmart on Yale, and Kroger on Studewood. I am not terribly whipsawed over this, so long as the sidewalk is kept accessible. In fact, having been a restaurant owner, I would normally favor helping them out. I just want the same benevolence extended toward homeowners, something that my Stockholm Syndrome neighbors seem to oppose.

Actually, it is more akin to plea bargaining. Government cannot nullify itself. However, it can bend its rules to favor one group over another. It appears that today the City bent its rules in favor of business, just as it did for the condos down the street, Walmart on Yale, and Kroger on Studewood. I am not terribly whipsawed over this, so long as the sidewalk is kept accessible. In fact, having been a restaurant owner, I would normally favor helping them out. I just want the same benevolence extended toward homeowners, something that my Stockholm Syndrome neighbors seem to oppose.

Variance was approved for Town In City, but Coltivare is still waiting.

So, you went from hurling invective at the folks opposing the condo tower to joining them because doing so somehow supports your opposition to the Historic Ordinance all at precisely the same time I post something about the Coltivare folks. Correlation may not always equal causation, but you aren't fooling anyone here. And from a principled standpoint, it is hard to reconcile now supporting people who petition government in order to impeded private development in order to show that people should not be able to petition government to impede private development. It is like voting for your political opponent in hopes that they win and do so badly that their ideas are discredited (although this sort of tactic actually was employed by the majority of the US Supreme Court in the infamous snail darter case, so maybe you are onto something--or maybe not).

Except when they aren't. Which is the whole point of requesting a variance.

I was just needling Red Scare. And variances are also rules with a set of standards that are supposed to be satisfied. In fact, while some scoff at variances as just being a way for the politically connected to avoid the rules everyone else has to follow (there is definitely some truth to that, but it is not a rule), variances are actually a very important function of real estate law. Even the most positivist of positivists will conceded that there are infinite combinations of problems and solutions in the world of real estate that can not ever be predicted by even the best thought out set of regulations. Variances give government the opportunity to respond to unforseen circumstances and mitigate the problem of one size fits all regulation.

He's trolling you because of what he perceives to be your own hypocrisy, I don't think he actually opposes the variance. "Kcking a small business (or home) owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance" is exactly what the Historic District does.

Edited by kylejack

He's trolling you because of what he perceives to be your own hypocrisy, I don't think he actually opposes the variance. "Kcking a small business (or home) owner in the pants in order to celebrate form over substance" is exactly what the Historic District does.

I know he is trolling. But he is only doing so because he cannot stand to admit that I am right about anything. And there is nothing comparable between the City not wanting to let someone count a parking space that the City has already permitted to be a parking space with a Historic Ordinance that has made a substantial difference in stopping the systematic tear down of historic architecture and has also stopped the new construction of out of scale and character faux-orleans boxes, and "what the ????" moderns and Woodlands-esque "custom homes". For all its flaws, there is a ton of substance in the Historic Ordinance. There. I took the bait, but not from Red Scare. Partial credit.

I know he is trolling. But he is only doing so because he cannot stand to admit that I am right about anything. And there is nothing comparable between the City not wanting to let someone count a parking space that the City has already permitted to be a parking space with a Historic Ordinance that has made a substantial difference in stopping the systematic tear down of historic architecture and has also stopped the new construction of out of scale and character faux-orleans boxes, and "what the ????" moderns and Woodlands-esque "custom homes". For all its flaws, there is a ton of substance in the Historic Ordinance. There. I took the bait, but not from Red Scare. Partial credit.

So in fact you do believe in celebrating form, just so long as it's the forms you approve of.

• Like 1

The random "what the ????" moderns were one of the major drawing factors of me to the neighborhood.  Eclecticism is what made The Heights what it is today.  From Houses, to Restaurants, to art galleries and all other sorts of things. 

Why are you wasting your time here though... isn't there an inadequate bridge to be found near wayside?

So in fact you do believe in celebrating form, just so long as it's the forms you approve of.

No, I believe that there is substance in the Historic Ordinance and there is no substance in the application of the ROW to exclude the availability of parking spaces to Coltivare.

Here's the issue I saw on Arlington.

rfhQ0WC.jpg

Nothing prevents someone from just pulling all the way forward to the building, blocking the sidewalk. I think this could be fixed by installing some parking stops at the end of the parking spaces. I talked to Morgan Weber, and he said he'd be willing to do that, if possible.

Other than that, these grassy areas just need to be paved and then there's a workable sidewalk that can be used by pedestrians, handicapped, etc.

l3gPy3R.jpg

SDmMjVj.jpg

I wrote to the Planning people with conditional support for the variance based on those items.

Thanks for this post.  It is really hard to see the issue here. Easy remedies and plenty of room.

Strangely, you can see two homeowners parking on the sidewalk in your third picture. 

Also, note that there is nothing open on white oak west of oxford past say 8pm at night. 

I could see if you lived next woodrows or onion creek, but I am stil puzzled why this project would be so difficult to permit.

Here's the issue I saw on Arlington.

rfhQ0WC.jpg

Nothing prevents someone from just pulling all the way forward to the building, blocking the sidewalk. I think this could be fixed by installing some parking stops at the end of the parking spaces. I talked to Morgan Weber, and he said he'd be willing to do that, if possible.

Other than that, these grassy areas just need to be paved and then there's a workable sidewalk that can be used by pedestrians, handicapped, etc.

l3gPy3R.jpg

SDmMjVj.jpg

I wrote to the Planning people with conditional support for the variance based on those items.

That is just realtor-speak for bad architecture.

I'm not a realtor, nor do I have bad taste in architecture (I don't need to qualify myself to you).  My opinion is not singular. 

As far as Diversity...  I'd like to see the following move in to the hood':  Dedicated Sushi Restaurant, Indian, Ethiopian, Bagels.

Ruggles has to be getting close to opening, anyone have the offician opening date yet?

l3gPy3R.jpg

The grassy areas, they need a saving not a paving. Without them that spot becomes a concrete heat island devoid of green space. History lost inch by inch, foot by foot at the hands of nazi-uniformed, hipster concrete workers. Save the square if you care.

Kraftsmen has a row of spaces along 22nd that are all over the right of way with no sidewalk access. Chilosos has a row along Gostic that are identical to the row along Arlington in the photos above. Cedar Creek has pull in diagonal parking that has the tail end of big trucks hanging over the sidewalk.

Coltivare is going to be relatively small. 3000 sq feet for kitchen and dining room with a sliver of outdoor terrace seating. This should be a no-brainer for the City.

The grassy areas, they need a saving not a paving. Without them that spot becomes a concrete heat island devoid of green space. History lost inch by inch, foot by foot at the hands of nazi-uniformed, hipster concrete workers. Save the square if you care.

Every sidewalk should have a usable sidewalk on both sides of the street. Streets are for pedestrians and handicapped too, not just motorists.