Work vs HAIF

wendyps

Work vs HAIF  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours a day do you actually spend WORKING?

• 9+ I earn my paycheck! I read at home.
    • 6 - 8 I trade lunches for HAIF fixes.
    • 4 - 6 As long as I look busy.
    • Work?

I decided in 2001 that this working 80 houes so I could buy "stuff" was all just a scam by Madison Avenue, banks and corporations. I've been cutting expenses and time ever since. Now, most weeks I put in about 20 hours, except for the occasional trial. Today was a good example. I drove to Galveston, spent 30 minutes in court, and took 3 hours getting back to the office. :lol:

I'll let you go-getters have all the "stuff" now. I've sold the boat, the Porsche and the beach lot...kept the dog. Life is good.

I'll let you go-getters have all the "stuff" now. I've sold the boat, the Porsche and the beach lot...kept the dog. Life is good.

i am sure you have alot of people look at you with surreptitious envy :)

but you know, when the majority of people's priorities and self-worth are staked in accumulating "stuff," the eighty-hour work weeks and porsches seem to fit the bill :rolleyes:

I work odd hours, since I'm a completely remote employee and don't have a real office to go to every day. So I'm on and off HAIF and another online forum I spend far too much time on all day long. But it is a good place to come when I'm ready to take a short break from work.

I work odd hours, since I'm a completely remote employee and don't have a real office to go to every day. So I'm on and off HAIF and another online forum I spend far too much time on all day long. But it is a good place to come when I'm ready to take a short break from work.

Same here, my main office is at home and this site among others is a nice distraction from the day to day ____ i have to do with my job. Now if i could only find hotels abroad that would give me free unlimited internet access to play on this site when out of the country, life would be just a bit nicer :):):):):):)

how about school vs. haif? during the summer i dont get much chance to check up on haif til after work, but right now....im on here as much as possible

HAIF sometimes wins out over school, too (but when you work full time and are a full time graduate student, you need something to make you procrastinate even more...heh :blush: )

• 1 year later...
I decided in 2001 that this working 80 houes so I could buy "stuff" was all just a scam by Madison Avenue, banks and corporations. I've been cutting expenses and time ever since. Now, most weeks I put in about 20 hours, except for the occasional trial. Today was a good example. I drove to Galveston, spent 30 minutes in court, and took 3 hours getting back to the office. :lol:

I did the same thing 5 years ago. I thought that I had wasted my 20s working too hard and decided to cut back on hours and simplify. Now I look back and feel ilke I wated the last 5 years not making any money. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. For the last year I've been working 50+ hours a week and I bought two Porsches in 2007.

If you're a 'knowledge worker' like I assume many of us are, there is not much necessary work, at least in my business, that can't be accomplished in well under a 40 hour week. Now, there's a lot of BS that people get sucked into, along with a severely over-inflated opinion of their own value. I have been accused on occasion of not living up to my potential, e.g. an executive title and the larger office, because I'm under no illusion that sounding busy for 70 hours a week actually accomplishes that much more. With going on 20 years working professionally, in the same field, I long ago figured out what needs to be done and what doesn't, and have adjusted my attitude accordingly.

One thing I would have done differently, that I see more people in their 20s doing now, is I would have been better about saving my money and buying property. I didn't get serious until after the tech bubble toasted my meager investments. On the other hand, I would not trade all those spendthrift years of hopping on a plane to go meet friends in London for a long weekend, or down to the Grenadines sailing, for anything. I also disovered that an ill-advised marriage costs a lot of money, one way or another. Lessons learned.....

I generally keep a half dozen or so websites open all day unless I'm running around, and HAIF is my favorite!

If you're a 'knowledge worker' like I assume many of us are, there is not much necessary work, at least in my business, that can't be accomplished in well under a 40 hour week. Now, there's a lot of BS that people get sucked into, along with a severely over-inflated opinion of their own value. I have been accused on occasion of not living up to my potential, e.g. an executive title and the larger office, because I'm under no illusion that sounding busy for 70 hours a week actually accomplishes that much more. With going on 20 years working professionally, in the same field, I long ago figured out what needs to be done and what doesn't, and have adjusted my attitude accordingly.

One thing I would have done differently, that I see more people in their 20s doing now, is I would have been better about saving my money and buying property. I didn't get serious until after the tech bubble toasted my meager investments. On the other hand, I would not trade all those spendthrift years of hopping on a plane to go meet friends in London for a long weekend, or down to the Grenadines sailing, for anything. I also disovered that an ill-advised marriage costs a lot of money, one way or another. Lessons learned.....

I generally keep a half dozen or so websites open all day unless I'm running around, and HAIF is my favorite!

Yeah, that's what I said in another thread. 40 hours for some jobs is just too much time. Less time, more efficiency, more time for myself.

You either work in a profession where 20somethings can make good money or they're buying property out in the boonies. Got any job openings at your company? ;)

Working for myself, I have a tendency to work all the time, but not at all sometimes. I will put in 10 to 12 hours a day, and take breaks throughout and get my HAIF fix. Like right now, my wife is watching Bruno vs. Carrie Ann Dance War, so I am doing research and posting instead of laughing and puking by watching the show with my wife.

I live in a city called Tyumen, in Siberia (something about that name just makes people stare at you in disbelief). Yes, it's cold. Couple of weeks ago, the thermometer was reading -25F (good ol' American Fahrenheit thermometer). At that temperature, your nosehairs freeze seconds after you step outside. The coldest I've experienced was -40F last year.

I think the worst part of the cold is the fact that dog "biscuits" and other such refuse don't decompose, but accumulate for the 6 months or so of freezing weather until they all thaw out at the same time in late April. Dog's tend to go in the same place every time, so it builds up, get's covered in snow, and builds up again.

And let me tell you, it becomes a veritable poop garden when the snow melts...

I live in a city called Tyumen, in Siberia (something about that name just makes people stare at you in disbelief). Yes, it's cold. Couple of weeks ago, the thermometer was reading -25F (good ol' American Fahrenheit thermometer). At that temperature, your nosehairs freeze seconds after you step outside. The coldest I've experienced was -40F last year.

I think the worst part of the cold is the fact that dog "biscuits" and other such refuse don't decompose, but accumulate for the 6 months or so of freezing weather until they all thaw out at the same time in late April. Dog's tend to go in the same place every time, so it builds up, get's covered in snow, and builds up again.

And let me tell you, it becomes a veritable poop garden when the snow melts...

mls1202--you've got a couple months until the snow melt and poop fest; so tell us more about your part of Siberia!

For starters, how did you come to be there, and for how long?

mls1202--you've got a couple months until the snow melt and poop fest; so tell us more about your part of Siberia!

For starters, how did you come to be there, and for how long?

And how do the structures fit into the fabric of Siberia? Are they vibrant? What about density and set backs?

Long story short, I work in the oil and gas industry and took an assignment over there. I've been here now 3 years. I could start a whole thread on architecture here in Russia and it's emergence in the communist periods...maybe I will.

So if you're interested, I have a photoblog of my worldly travels, aptly titled The Wayward Traveler. For specifically Russia, just click on the Russia link at the bottom.

http://micahschutz.blogtog.com

For those of you looking at HAIF at work, here's something I whipped up today:

Smooth, refreshing HAIF:Now.

Just open the link in a new window and you'll always be able to see new messages as they're posted to HAIF.

I tried to make it as simple as possible so that it will work with mobile devices. Please try it out on as many computers/PDAs/crackberries or whatever you have and let me know how it works.

I've tested it on OS X, iPhone, and PSP so far and it looks great on all three. I'm interested to hear from Blackberry and Windows Mobile people.

That doesn't mean I am working hard though, just surfing and stumbling elsewhere.

Nah, the stumbling part happend on saturday night. You missed it.

No, Ed is just trying to insinuate himself into our lives moreso than he already has.

Save a HAIF, click an Ad. :D

For those of you looking at HAIF at work, here's something I whipped up today:

Smooth, refreshing HAIF_now.

Just open the link in a new window and you'll always be able to see new messages as they're posted to HAIF.

I tried to make it as simple as possible so that it will work with mobile devices. Please try it out on as many computers/PDAs/crackberries or whatever you have and let me know how it works.

I've tested it on OS X, iPhone, and PSP so far and it looks great on all three. I'm interested to hear from Blackberry and Windows Mobile people.

A dream come true.

Archived