Our Own Fair Spring

westguy

[AP]

HOUSTON -- Prosecutors won't immediately seek hate-crime charges against two white teens accused of brutally beating and sodomizing a 16-year-old Hispanic boy, who was clinging to life after being left for dead, authorities said.

The two attacked the boy after he tried to kiss a 12-year-old girl at an unsupervised house party Saturday night in suburban Spring, authorities said.

The attackers apparently were offended at the age difference between the victim and the girl, who is also Hispanic, and shouted racial slurs at him during the 10- to 15-minute attack, investigators said.

Authorities said the two dragged the boy from the party and into the yard, where they sodomized him with a plastic pipe from a patio table umbrella and poured bleach on him.

"After they got him down on the ground, they stomped his head with (steel-toed) boots," Harris County Sheriff's Lt. John Denholm said. "They actually kicked the pipe further into him with the boots."

County prosecutor Mike Trent described the pipe as being sharpened at one end. At one point, the teens tried to carve something on the boy's chest with a knife, he told CNN Friday.

"I don't know that the very beginning of the attack was racial," Trent said, "but there's no question that they were venting quite a bit of hatred in their hearts."

The boy was in critical condition. If he dies, Trent said, he would consider adding hate-crime charges so that 18-year-old suspect David Henry Tuck would be eligible for the death penalty. The 17-year-old suspect, Keith Robert Turner, is too young to be eligible for execution.

Tuck and Turner are charged with aggravated sexual assault, which carries a maximum of five years to life in prison. They were being held in the county jail.

If the two are convicted of aggravated sexual assault, jurors will be told during sentencing about the ethnic slurs used during the attack, Trent said.

"Whether it is one or isn't a hate crime, and it may be, that will make no difference here," Trent said. "This is already a first-degree felony and it can't be elevated any higher. There's nowhere to go beyond this, unless the victim dies."

The Anti-Defamation League wants prosecutors to add hate-crime charges even if it won't add to the penalties. "We want the public to accept and understand that this was a hate crime," regional director Martin Cominsky said.

The victim lay behind the house for more than 10 hours before he was found and someone called an ambulance.

The victim was a popular football player at Klein Collins High School who also posed for a fashion layout in the school yearbook, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Charles Hinton, Tuck's attorney, did not return a call seeking comment. It was not known if Turner had an attorney.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This disgusts me to my very depths. Anyone capable of even thinking about such acts, let alone perform them should be....should be....

our prision system really needs the option of a hole. just a hole. no bed, no tv, no workout room...just throw them in the oubliette and forget about them.

This disgusts me to my very depths. Anyone capable of even thinking about such acts, let alone perform them should be....should be....

our prision system really needs the option of a hole. just a hole. no bed, no tv, no workout room...just throw them in the oubliette and forget about them.

I mean damn... we all dislike Mexicans.. but this is ridiculous and disgusting.

These two aren't human.. lets hope they get the maximum penalty allowable and burn in hell.

^^^

Is this what they are breeding out on HW 6? :wacko:

BTW, a "tightwad" is someone who is frugal with their money...but no one expects you to know the difference so don't sweat your f@#k up-you f@#k-up.

Where did it say that the victim was Mexican? And why does it matter?

The thought process of some people truly amazes me, sometimes.

Because if I said "Well damn, we all hate Hispanics" ... That might have offended someone.

( More not being serious, don't get your panties in wad, West. )

Why does it matter... well, because one party is white, the other isn't.. therefore the 'hate crime' label will be applied. Plus.. no matter what does or doesn't actually consitutues a hate-crime..They were shouting racial slurs.. so the fact that he was Hispanic and/or possibly Mexican matters.

As far as thought process subconsciouslly linking hispanic to mexican...

Hadn't thought about it before but I'm gonna blame it on the influx of news stories lately linked to a picture of a mexican flag adorned immigrant almost every day this month.

(Technical Foul. 5000 cool-point deduction) <_<

The boy was in critical condition. If he dies, Trent said, he would consider adding hate-crime charges so that 18-year-old suspect David Henry Tuck would be eligible for the death penalty. The 17-year-old suspect, Keith Robert Turner, is too young to be eligible for execution.

I think both dudes that did that suck. That being said, I think if justice is truly being served, this needs to be acknowledged in the beginning if this truly is a hate-crime or not. Why would they want to wait until if the victim recovers or not to decide if the assault was racially motivated or not? Whether the victim dies or not would not have changed the initial intent of the two dudes.

The victim lay behind the house for more than 10 hours before he was found and someone called an ambulance.

There's too many holes in the story. Who was it that heard the two dudes calling the victim racial slurs? I mean, were there witnesses? And if so, how was the victim not found for 10 hours? And where was the 12 year old girl during all this? How would nobody see or hear any of this if it was at a house party? Lastly, if there were witnesses and no one helped or reported it, shouldn't there be more charges to the party-goers and host for neglegence?

Because if I said "Well damn, we all hate Hispanics" ... That might have offended someone.

( More not being serious, don't get your panties in wad, West. )

Why does it matter... well, because one party is white, the other isn't.. therefore the 'hate crime' label will be applied. Plus.. no matter what does or doesn't actually consitutues a hate-crime..They were shouting racial slurs.. so the fact that he was Hispanic and/or possibly Mexican matters.

Hadn't thought about it before but I'm gonna blame it on the influx of news stories lately linked to a picture of a mexican flag adorned immigrant almost every day this month.

Apparently you have offended everyone in this thread so far.

Both parties are caucasian. One was anglo and the other hispanic. Learn the difference.

^^^

Is this what they are breeding out on HW 6? :wacko:

BTW, a "tightwad" is someone who is frugal with their money...but no one expects you to know the difference so don't sweat your f@#k up-you f@#k-up.

You're right.. I meant tightass, agitable, alarmable, edgy, fiery, galvanic, high strung, hot-headed, hot-tempered, hysterical, impulsive, inflammable, overzealous, quick-tempered, rash, sensitive, short fused, temperamental, testy, touchy.

We country inbreds get confused sometimes.

Apparently you have offended everyone in this thread so far.

Both parties are caucasian. One was anglo and the other hispanic. Learn the difference.

I didn't use the word caucasian to describe the difference between the two.

I used the word white. Anglos would fall under this description, hispanic would not.

If I used the word black to differentiate between two people, it wouldnt have been p.c. enough for you, but you would know fits under that description and who doesn't.

I was referring to the thought process of someone who would make such an incredibly insensitive and incendiary remark as yours on a forum read by ALL races and ethnicities. Your subsequent posts have me shaking my head even more.

This poor kid (who has an Anglo name, BTW) is near death, and all you can think to say is the same thing that the two assailants said? Is your heart that devoid of compassion for anyone who doesn't look just like you that you would metaphorically spit on a dying boy?

Why would they want to wait until if the victim recovers or not to decide if the assault was racially motivated or not?

Yo RedScare, can you or anyone here with legal background answer this question?

There's too many holes in the story. Who was it that heard the two dudes calling the victim racial slurs? I mean, were there witnesses? And if so, how was the victim not found for 10 hours? And where was the 12 year old girl during all this? How would nobody see or hear any of this if it was at a house party? Lastly, if there were witnesses and no one helped or reported it, shouldn't there be more charges to the party-goers and host for neglegence?

Can anyone answer these?

Good questions. It's probably too early to tell. If the police know anything they probably think it's best not to say anything yet. It would be awful if someone witnessed the attack and did not help. Worse yet, not getting him help after the attack.

I was referring to the thought process of someone who would make such an incredibly insensitive and incendiary remark as yours on a forum read by ALL races and ethnicities. Your subsequent posts have me shaking my head even more.

This poor kid (who has an Anglo name, BTW) is near death, and all you can think to say is the same thing that the two assailants said? Is your heart that devoid of compassion for anyone who doesn't look just like you that you would metaphorically spit on a dying boy?

Ya know what..

I also said it was disgusting and the two assailants should burn in hell.

It was a dark story and I figured I'd let my response try to lighten the mood before condeming the assailants.

Was it in bad taste and taken a lot more serisouly than i would have liked.. yup.

Don't liken me to the two villans here just cuz a snide quip got out of hand.

I was expecting nothing but a few remarks like

DJ's "(Technical Foul. 5000 cool-point deduction) " and then move on to the actual story.

Was it in bad taste.. Yup..

Are some of you still too uptight.. Yup..

Good questions. It's probably too early to tell. If the police know anything they probably think it's best not to say anything yet. It would be awful if someone witnessed the attack and did not help. Worse yet, not getting him help after the attack.

agree, I think we are too close in for them to divuldge all the details yet.

You are right about the holes though DJ, I hadn't noticed. They did arrest the two #$%#$'rs pretty quickly though...if no one knew until 10 hours later, how would they have found out who did it so quickly?

I think the hate crime/no hate crime will probably be determined once all the parties (judges and lawyers and such) are picked. Isn't that a fairly political thing??? The article said it wouldn't tack on any extra time (why not???) so, is it a matter of what "spin" the lawyers want to put on things?

agree, I think we are too close in for them to divuldge all the details yet.

You are right about the holes though DJ, I hadn't noticed. They did arrest the two #$%#$'rs pretty quickly though...if no one knew until 10 hours later, how would they have found out who did it so quickly?

I think the hate crime/no hate crime will probably be determined once all the parties (judges and lawyers and such) are picked. Isn't that a fairly political thing??? The article said it wouldn't tack on any extra time (why not???) so, is it a matter of what "spin" the lawyers want to put on things?

I think the hate crime thing is more symbolic. But if God forbid the boy dies it could mean the death penalty for the 18 year old. I've always been against the death penalty but it won't break my heart to see this one get the needle.

mighty "caucasion"

mighty "white"

make up your mind.

How is saying someone should burn in hell a 'white' thing ?

I don't think satan really cares about color once they get down there.

You didn't say caucasion so I didn't. It's a saying. It's just "more not being serious". Loosen up.

I didn't use the word caucasian to describe the difference between the two.

I used the word white. Anglos would fall under this description, hispanic would not.

If I used the word black to differentiate between two people, it wouldnt have been p.c. enough for you, but you would know fits under that description and who doesn't.

It has nothing to do with p.c. and everything to do with whether you want to come off as being informed or not. You choose not to be.

It has nothing to do with p.c. and everything to do with whether you want to come off as being informed or not. You choose not to be.

It has nothing to do with informed and everything to do with whether you want to come off as being p.c. or not. You choose not to be.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm skeptical about the whole racial thing. And the funny thing is, D. Tuck has only been back for about a month or so. Before, he stabbed a girl at another party. (nothing critical). Its a shame our Community of Spring has to be shown like this. And its even more unfortunite people of this age would do such a thing.

I think the hate crime thing is more symbolic. But if God forbid the boy dies it could mean the death penalty for the 18 year old. I've always been against the death penalty but it won't break my heart to see this one get the needle.

...and let him off the hook so easily? <_<

I prefer the 6 x 8 cell-24/7/life nightly punch in the face by the victims friends and family.

I don't know-maybe that would be cruel and unusual...

B)

Archived