Gas Prices

You are correct on this point.

*Rubs eyes* AftonAg is in another thread?!?!?! Shocked!

Back to the topic, I read the OPEC was freaking out when $$$ per barrel was hovering around the upper $50's and did what ever they could to keep in in the $65-$75 range. And they succeeded.

We will never get a break. :o

I have to disagree. The higher the price goes, the more incentive there is to produce more oil, and find alternatives.

We have as much oil as we did your ago, maybe more.

The demand is getting higher because China is becoming industrialized and everyone there is building company and home and thus people buying cars. All of these thing attribute to higher energy demands.

We have as much oil as we did your ago, maybe more.

The demand is getting higher because China is becoming industrialized and everyone there is building company and home and thus people buying cars. All of these thing attribute to higher energy demands.

I takes time to bring more production online....

I takes time to bring more production online....

indeed it does - the ExxonMobil project I referred to early began with a 1999 discovery - it took three years just to decide the most economic development method recieve bids and sign contracts to commence wengineering. So it only took seven years and 6 billion dollars to bring it on-line, that is to start production - they will continue drilling wells on that development until the end of 2007. By the way they have two partners on that project - another major oil company and the Nigerian Government.

Question: Why do the trucks that fill these stations up NOT have Shell, Exxon, etc. on them? Some are blank and look old and rusty, some have a name that I've never heard of. Just asking.

Frequently the Major oil companies contract with transportation companies to move their products to the retail outlets.

just so some of you know- gasoline is bought and sold just like crude before it gets close to the retail station.

so a company like Valero might be selling more fuel to its retail outlets than its actually producing.

what happens is all gasoline is piped thru gasoline pipelines to terminals in cities...

when Chevron trucks take fuel out of storage to move it to their gas stations (most of which are privately owned), they will add Techron in to their fuel in order to market the gas as Chevron gasoline.

the base gasoline commodity MUST meet government standards and all gasoline is essentially thrown into a pool...

the gasoline at your Sam's club could very well come for a Citgo refinery but Murphy adds their marketing additive or what have you and walla...

this will really kick your boat for those anit Chaves- anti Citgo types now...think you're not supporting Chaves by boycotting Citgo huh?

well Petroleus de Venezuela sells crude to many many different oil companies here in the States to refine into gasoline..

so in effect you might be at Valero and the gasoline could have been refined from Venezuelan oil at an Exxon refinery...

Question: Why do the trucks that fill these stations up NOT have Shell, Exxon, etc. on them? Some are blank and look old and rusty, some have a name that I've never heard of. Just asking.

Because it is not economical for Exxon, Shell, etc to own an entire fleet of trucks...

most oil companies now do not own very many retaili gas stations...

they franchise out there marketing rights and logo to private independant companies...

then there are transport companies that will only transport gasoline from the terminal to all the various gas stations...

multiple layers and layers of companies before your corner retail outlet.

Just because prices are up your going to "Boycott" it?

Well slap my knee and call me your sister!

Lets all start the ultamite boycott of anything that goes up in price! Oh wait, thats everything! Just kidding guys, just kidding... Now we can all go back to not being or looking like idiots.

The fact that gas is cheap in Iran has nothing to with it having a lot of oil. Iran has no oil refineries that can produce gas for cars. Iran imports all of its oil.

Also, Iran imports more oil based products than the oil they export. Oil based products outside of simple gasoline such as lubricants, plastics, polymers, rubber, asphalt, etc.

The cheap gas comes from the Saudis who do have gas refineries.

The easy solution to gas prices in the US is to expand and build more refineries. BP is planning to build the world's largest refinery in Port Arthur. Much of the environmental regulations also cause prices to go up.

What's silly is that every nation that has access to oil reserves on land or offshor is going after it yet the US just sits here because of regulations that make it difficult to drill for oil.

Mexico is drilling in the gulf and pacific, yet we don't dare drill off our west coast or florida because some people don't want to see oil rig lights off in the horizon at sea. Norway is putting up oil rigs all over it's coastline and in the north see. Russia and china are also drilling of their coasts.

We need to relax some of these silly rules and start actually using what we have (which is plenty).

Wrong on Iran, absolutely correct on the pacific coast and Florida points.

Shah Bahar has a refinery with around 250,000 bpd capacity, Qeshm Island has a refinery that currently has around 150,000 bpd production capacity and is currently being upgraded to handle over 200,000 bpd. Abadan Refinery in Iran handles 500,000 bpd. Iran and Venezuela will jointly build an oil refinery in the Venezuelan region of Faja. Hugo Chavez is trying to set a mark with OPEC.

The list goes on and on. Currently there are 16 refineries on line in Iran that produce 2.2 billion liters of gasoline a day. There are 12 more plants on the drawing board to be online by early 2008. Iran exports 2 mm litres of refined oil as well as 40 to 45 mm litres of fuel oil on a daily basis.

Perhaps where the confusion comes in is that perhaps you are looking at the enormous crude exports that come out of Iran. Iran oil production is far beyond the available plant capacity that thay have in country, now that's a fact. Iran pumps more crude daily than ANY country's plant configuration can handle.

Just wanted to clear up the mistake on Iran

not at all...

as stated, excise taxes are approximately $.50/gallon.

The biggest cost in turning crude oil into gasoline is transportation. The crude has to be transported to a refinery, and then the refined products have to be transported to "depots", manufacturers and retail outlets. The average upstream oil development looks to get the oil out of the earth at under $5.00 per barrel to be profitable for the downstream portion of the industry.

Archived