Houston Olympic Talk is Back!

citykid09

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming we aren't involved in another protracted war by then, I agree with DJ. With Athens in '04, China in '08, and London in '12, the Americas will be in the forefront for 2016. Depending on who submits a bid, a US city has a decent shot. If a South American city submits a credible bid, they will be tough to beat. Otherwise, it would be between the US and Canada.

FIFA's last World Cups was in Korea/Japan (1st time in Asia), and 2010 will be the first time in Africa. I think IOC would probably want to bring the Olympics to South America or Africa. I predict Rio De Janeiro 2016.

If the 2010 World Cup goes well, South Africa will be a major contender for hosting the Olympics.

Guest Plastic

Well yes that's an important point. The chances of America getting it are weaker.

And as I said for Houston to win against the international cities the IOC would have to be on Crack. Our biggest obstacles are transportation,our

reputaion,and lack of activities for tourists. If we could get those 3 dealt with we could have a fairer shot.

While it's true that by 2016, resentment toward the United States may well have faded, and the politics changed. But the decision is being made today. The reactions and pressure on the IOC will come today.

Didn't they award London in 2005? If so, 2016 would be awarded in 2009. Anti-American sentiment may or may not have subsided by then. Kinda depends on what we do to Iran, IMHO.

Didn't they award London in 2005? If so, 2016 would be awarded in 2009. Anti-American sentiment may or may not have subsided by then. Kinda depends on what we do to Iran, IMHO.

Only three years away. We'll probably still be sitting on our hands waiting for the U.N. to issue its umpteenth resolution on the issue.

That would definatly be an interesting olympic opening ceremony. Instead of the athletes marching down

the walkway flying their flag, they are tied to a steak in the center of the stadium on fire with their flag.

It would be great if we would get the summer olympics, but we probably have a better shot at building those super tall skyscrapers that PLASTIC was mentioning in another topic.

camel%20and%20rider.jpg

Equestrian!!!

throwing.lg.jpg

Shotput and Discus!!!! Look, they're already ahead of Houston!

Plastic, you're being too hard on yourself. Houston has a good reputaion worldwide. It's not as recognized as London or Paris, but it's been improving year after year. Transportation has been getting much more developed in Houston, and will continue doing so. And I have faith that Houston will have more tourist activities, even though it has a good foundation to start with now. Wait 'til Pavillions is complete, and let's see how many more pedestrians roam downtown.

Guest Plastic

Houston has a fairly nice international reputation. I would say we have a bad national one but we don't have one at all.

Once again, A good majority of americans don't know where Houston is. If they do anything they know it's got oil and The Space Center.

Houston has a fairly nice international reputation. I would say we have a bad national one but we don't have one at all.

Once again, A good majority of americans don't know where Houston is. If they do anything they know it's got oil and The Space Center.

I'll also say it once again...If they don't know where Houston is after the post-Hurricane Katrina's coverage, Oprah's Angel Lane, Rita's Coverage, Swisha House coverage, Lakewood Church coverage, Destiny's Child coverage, tsunami fundraiser coverage, Enron trial coverage, World Series coverage, Tom Delay coverage, NBA All-Star Game coverage, NFL Bush vs. Young draft coverage, or the fact that Houston was in the top four to represent the USOC for 2012, etc., then something's wrong. And all those were major news events that have put Houston on the national/international front page within the past 18 months.

Not to mention the fact that the father of the current president lives here, who also happened to be a former one himself? And we also got oil and the Space Center...

Darling, if the majority of Americans dont know where Houston, the 4th largest city is, then the education system is worst off than i thought........

Are you high? That is the singularly most idiodic statement I have read on this forum.

I think if most Americans KNEW Houston was the fourth-largest city, they might care a little more. But Houston doesn't effectively (or, indeed, at all) market itself outside the Gulf Coast.

Then again, if you're not in the top three, then you're trivia. Sounds rough, but how many people bother memorizing the top ten of anything.

I think if most Americans KNEW Houston was the fourth-largest city, they might care a little more. But Houston doesn't effectively (or, indeed, at all) market itself outside the Gulf Coast.

Then again, if you're not in the top three, then you're trivia. Sounds rough, but how many people bother memorizing the top ten of anything.

Once again, this isnt a tourist trap. The economy here is not dependant on tourism. I wonder how many kids can name all the US presidents from FDR to present.

Guest Plastic
Darling, if the majority of Americans dont know where Houston, the 4th largest city is, then the education system is worst off than i thought........

Tha tmight not be the case now but 4 years ago when I'd talk about I'm from Houston everyone in the chat'd be like where the hell is that.

Tha tmight not be the case now but 4 years ago when I'd talk about I'm from Houston everyone in the chat'd be like where the hell is that.

Clearly you were "chat'd" with the kindergarten set. In almost every social studies text book there is a map of Texas showing Houston as the city that controlls all manned space flight.

But maybe it's because teachers are forced to "teach to the test" thanks to "no child left behind"?

:wacko:

While it's true that by 2016, resentment toward the United States may well have faded, and the politics changed. But the decision is being made today. The reactions and pressure on the IOC will come today.

Resentment toward the U.S. is new?

The resentment has been there for quite a long time, and many have been blind to it. It is not going away.

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

I have no doubt that Houston could host a successful Olympics, but I think that when the games come back to the US, they will likely go to one of our "flagship" cities; e.g. New York, Washington, San Francisco, or Chicago.

I think the Atlanta thing was somewhat of an aberration. It has given hope to other cities such as Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, or Tampa; but based on current competition, I would expect the bid to go to one of the well-known "brand names".

I have no doubt that Houston could host a successful Olympics, but I think that when the games come back to the US, they will likely go to one of our "flagship" cities; e.g. New York, Washington, San Francisco, or Chicago.

I think the Atlanta thing was somewhat of an aberration. It has given hope to other cities such as Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, or Tampa; but based on current competition, I would expect the bid to go to one of the well-known "brand names".

Atlanta was the "wanna be" olympics and just turned out to be the the trailer trash sack race. We don't need the olympics to cement our status. It would be nice to have but not required. Perhaps it's just time to get beyond the illusion that the olympics are somthing we don't need-nor want to dole out the cash for-to cement what we already are.

B)

Atlanta was the "wanna be" olympics and just turned out to be the the trailer trash sack race. We don't need the olympics to cement our status. It would be nice to have but not required. Perhaps it's just time to get beyond the illusion that the olympics are somthing we don't need-nor want to dole out the cash for-to cement what we already are.

B)

Well said. Hosting the Olymicps is not necessary to be a world recognized city. Or world class for that matter.

That's something I can agree with. When I first came to Korea during the last World Cup, not many people here knew where Houston was either. Even after the Super Bowl 2004, people heard of Houston, but couldn't locate it. But that tsunami tennis tournament at Toyota Center last year started raising eyebrows, everyone here started talking about Houston music, and started wearing Tracy McGrady jerseys down the street by last Summer, and were more curious as to where we were. Houston became a small trend. That trend became knowledge after the Katrina coverage. And the World Series seemed to be icing on the cake. We're definately more recognizable now than we were 2, 5, and 10 years ago.