Houston Olympic Talk is Back!

citykid09

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Houston sucks! Hell, now I've read that Dallas got the largest mall in Texas. Damn, I'm guessing the statement is true then. "Everything is bigger in Dallas."

Wow. A movie AND a mall. I don't why the USOC would even talk to Houston, knowing that Dallas got a movie AND a mall. We all know how important movies and malls are to the IOC. <_<

Houston sucks! Hell, now I've read that Dallas got the largest mall in Texas. Damn, I'm guessing the statement is true then. "Everything is bigger in Dallas."

As I read this post I'm reminded of a beautiful saying..... " It takes 42 muscles for the human face to make a frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to turn and slap the #$%& out of someone".

Semipro, you and citykid should have a drink together. Oh wait, your not old enough to drink. :huh:

Umm...all of them?

Red.. Yes, they have busses. I guess i worded my statement wrong... I meant to say that they have major rail compnents which makes up the backbone of their transit systems. Showing me a picture of a bus doesn't change that.

The Galleria is the biggest mall in Texas.

Not anymore...

It's NorthPark's big day

High-end mall becomes Texas' largest with unveiling of $225 million expansion

10:31 AM CDT on Friday, May 5, 2006

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

NorthPark Center takes its place among the nation's exclusive malls Friday, unveiling a $225 million expansion that has been in the works for more than a decade.

The 41-year-old Dallas shopping center joins a handful of U.S. malls with anticipated annual sales of at least $1 billion. At 2.35 million square feet, it's now the largest mall in Texas and one of the five largest in the U.S., according to the International Council of Shopping Centers.

It's where new stores such as American Eagle Outfitters' Martin + Osa and J. Crew spinoffs Crewcuts and Madewell will open first. And it's a beachhead for the European invasion of hot specialty stores that include Intermix and Mango

Not anymore...

I'm sorry to be a pest, but Dallas is building like mad crazy.

It's not that your being a pest Dominax, it's that you buy into the hype without knowing the truth.

If you would do a little research you would find that NP is not bigger than the Galleria. Plus, it's only a mall my friend.

Read something else besides a Dallas propogated article, you might find that some of the hype they put out is just that.

The question is. Why Dallas not bidding for the 2016 Olympics? I think Dallas got a better chance then us, cause Dallas have a popular name and they get stuff done, while Houston have think about the shyt then wait for a couple of years to do it. Slow ass Houston I tell ya. I could run faster then how Houston thinks.

Oh, and I like to add. They're making a full length movie about the popular TV Show, Dallas on the big screen. And that's going to make Dallas a bigger tourist spot.

Dallas gets things done? You mean like the Cowboys Stadium? Did I miss something or did Dallas annex Arlington recently??

Not anymore...

It's NorthPark's big day

NorthPark Center takes its place among the nation's exclusive malls Friday, unveiling a $225 million expansion that has been in the works for more than a decade.

The 41-year-old Dallas shopping center joins a handful of U.S. malls with anticipated annual sales of at least $1 billion. At 2.35 million square feet, it's now the largest mall in Texas and one of the five largest in the U.S., according to the International Council of Shopping Centers.

It's where new stores such as American Eagle Outfitters' Martin + Osa and J. Crew spinoffs Crewcuts and Madewell will open first. And it's a beachhead for the European invasion of hot specialty stores that include Intermix and Mango

The funny thing is, people scoff at Houston and her sprawl, but look at what venues have been tossed around as possibities...

HOUSTON

Minute Maid, Toyota Center, and GRB in downtown. A quick light rail trip will bring you down to Reliant Stadium and Hall. On the way, you'll pass Rice's 70,000 seat stadium and the host of other athletic facilities on campus. In 2016, the University Line will connect all of those with the facilities at UH and TSU. Seems pretty compact and well connected to me.

San Fran is talking about using Stanford Stadium and facilities in San Jose for major events. If they want a large arena, they have to cross the Bay to Oakland or head 50 miles to San Jose. That's kinda nuts.

Philly has facilities, but all of them are located in an area of town that makes Reliant look beautiful. The new football, baseball, and basketball palaces in Philly are built in a sprawling parking lot fronting I-95 and an industrial area along the Delaware River. Nobody walks around that part of town.

Chicago is even discussing the possibility of using the University of Illinois as the site of their main stadium. That would be like Houston "hosting" the Olympics in College Station, atlhough Aggieland is quite a bit closer to Houston than UI is to Chicago!

Sorry to ruin your day, but The Galleria is the largest mall in Texas. Go to Simon.Com's Fact Sheet for it. It is at 2.4 million sq. feet, and adding another 100,000.

Where you found that info about Galleria adding another 100,000? Cause I went on Simon.com and haven't seen that info that you've mention.

Where you found that info about Galleria adding another 100,000? Cause I went on Simon.com and haven't seen that info that you've mention.

I believe it has to do with the former Lord and Tayler space. There is probably more info in one of the Galleria threads, I know one of the stores will be Borders.

The question is. Why Dallas not bidding for the 2016 Olympics? I think Dallas got a better chance then us, cause Dallas have a popular name and they get stuff done, while Houston have think about the shyt then wait for a couple of years to do it. Slow ass Houston I tell ya. I could run faster then how Houston thinks.

Houston and Dallas both have great facilities, but Houston's by far got the best set-up when it comes to keeping a high number of events within city limits. Dallas claims 5 major sports team, but how many of them actually play within Dallas' city limits?

And you out yo mind if you think Dallas has a better chance than Houston. Their new mall and movie coming out won't change the fact that Houston's bigger and has confinement-of-events on it's side. I'm sorry to do this, but 25-cool-point deduction :(

And don't forget DJ...we were INVITED.

So there!

Houston was invited to participate for a simple reason, that Semipro fails to understand. Houston scored best on the technical aspects of the bid last go-round, and is likely to score at or near the top again. Houston had the most compact site array of any city that submitted a bid, with most events concentrated within the Loop. Houston also would need to build the fewest number of facilities, making it financially more efficient. I don't think it had the lowest budget, but it was close.

The biggest reason other than the above, for Houston to be considered, is Houston DOES get things done. Aside from the Super Bowl and the All-Star games and the World Series, Houston and Harris County created an evacuation shelter for 30,000 people in less than 24 hours last year (is that slow ass enough for you?). As we all know from watching New Orleans and FEMA, not everyone can pull that off. In fact, Houston's effort is the largest shelter operation ever performed in the US. The USOC and IOC are impressed by that sort of efficiency.

The reason Dallas did not get invited this time is likely because of the same factors that got it eliminated first last time. It is not a very compact bid, and the budget was high. But, if the USOC ever makes having a movie about an 80s TV drama a criteria for the Olympics, Dallas would move up dramatically.

BTW, Semipro, it might interest you to know that the movie is not even being FILMED in Dallas. Houston may lose out for the same reasons as last time, but it will NOT be because we can't "get things done".

May final decision about Houston hosting the Olympics is.... drum roll please.....

ITS CRAZY PEOPLE! GET REAL!!!

The final two will be, San Fran and Chicago. But, the ones you think going to get it, they don't. I predict that Houston and Philly may get eliminated first, then maybe L.A.

Out of San Fran and Chicago, I'll say... well, I don't know that's a tough one. On the edge I'll say San Fran winning it.

May final decision about Houston hosting the Olympics is.... drum roll please.....

The final two will be, San Fran and Chicago. But, the ones you think going to get it, they don't. I predict that Houston and Philly may get eliminated first, then maybe L.A.

Out of San Fran and Chicago, I'll say... well, I don't know that's a tough one. On the edge I'll say San Fran winning it.

You honestly think that Houston doesn't have as good or better an offer to the USOC than Chi. L.A., Philly, San Fran, and Dallas? What the deuce? Name one of those five cities that can host an Olympics by spending less money and have World-Class facilities close together like Houston can...

They going to choose San Fran, Chicago, or L.A. cause they're more international. I mean damn! Why we're talking about this crap anyway? We got to wait until 2009 for a winner, then wait until 10 more years for the Olympics.

y'all can continue this nonsense.

More international? You really think Houston's not known on an international basis yet? I've been in Korea all this time on HAIF (but that changes tomorrow), and when I first came here, very few people recognized Houston when I first said that's my home. Now, in 2006, when a stranger asks me, and I say "Houston", not ONE person yet has said "where's Houston?". We're no longer a secret.

By the way, you wanna talk about nonsense, brotha? Weren't we talking about "Bush vs. Young" for MONTHS in another thread, then the Texans end up drafting neither one? I thought it was nonsense at first when you said we would draft Williams. Then we do, and I ended up realizing that Williams has the many qualities that Houston NEEDED instead of WANTED. Houston would furfill all the needs of the USOC and IOC if we were chosen as an Olympic site. No nonsense applies. And now's the time to talk about it, not 2009 when everybody else completes their bids and H-town just then shows up...

Not anymore...

It's NorthPark's big day

I don't go to a mall to ice skate OR sit in a park OR look at art.

But, hey...that's just me. Come to think of it, I haven't been in a mall since 2002. :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize that Semipro had hijacked the Olympic thread into a Dallas mall thread.

I don't go to a mall to ice skate OR sit in a park OR look at art.

But, hey...that's just me. Come to think of it, I haven't been in a mall since 2002. :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize that Semipro had hijacked the Olympic thread into a Dallas mall thread.

You mean this isn't the Dallas Mall thread :o

After reading this post I'm prompted to write a letter to HISD asking them to increase there budget for the next bond election. Maybe 2 billion will do it. Of course I'm assuming that Semipro is an HISD grad.

Archived