Houston Olympic Talk is Back!

citykid09

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Houston Wants To Represent U.S. In Possible 2016 Games Bid

Posted 1:13 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

The Houston Chronicle reports that if the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) decides to bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, Houston hopes to be the U.S. candidate.

George DeMontrond III, president of the disbanded Houston 2012 Foundation, said this week

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think because of Mass Transit (hopefully much inproved by 2016) Is why we didn't win. And besides, do you think houston would have been able to compete with London & Paris? not a chance...

I don't know, but our bid didn't seem to be too serious about it. Maybe this time, the word will be spread.

I think because of Mass Transit (hopefully much inproved by 2016) Is why we didn't win. And besides, do you think houston would have been able to compete with London & Paris? not a chance...

I don't know, but our bid didn't seem to be too serious about it. Maybe this time, the word will be spread.

Well London is not so much of an issue considering they would have just had the games. Also by then it will be 20 years since the summer games have been held in North America. I know the commitee doesn't really use any type of rotation, but it gives Houston a better chance. Probably one of the toughest parts is just getting the US to select Houston considering its choices last time, despite the qualities (good or bad) of some bids. Either way though, I believe there is a chance Houston could get the 2016 Olympics, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I think if New york runs again they will get it. NY got the approval to build a billion dollar football and baseball stadium. Well, I think it cost the football stadium a billion dollars.

Besides, 2016 is a long ways off. Anything could happen by then. Even Chicago, and L.A. in the running too? Ummm, Houston still it's hands full.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Houston Wants To Represent U.S. In Possible 2016 Games Bid

Posted 1:13 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

The Houston Chronicle reports that if the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) decides to bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, Houston hopes to be the U.S. candidate.

George DeMontrond III, president of the disbanded Houston 2012 Foundation, said this week

I say we hold off on development of that AstroWorld site. ;)

No but seriously, that is like the only reasonable place to build an Olympic Village. Especially since we already have somewhat of a ped bridge over 610 connecting to Reliant Park. I would focus a lot of attention on the entrance of the city. I-45 and 59 from Bush Airport and the Main Street Corridor.

I say we hold off on development of that AstroWorld site. ;)

No but seriously, that is like the only reasonable place to build an Olympic Village. Especially since we already have somewhat of a ped bridge over 610 connecting to Reliant Park. I would focus a lot of attention on the entrance of the city. I-45 and 59 from Bush Airport and the Main Street Corridor.

It's a good idea, but I think Olympic Village should either be on the Rice, TSU, or UH campus. They need to be complexes that will be used after the Olympics are over. Besides, if the village is around Reliant Stadium, why couldn't the Astrodome itself become Olympic Village?

Rice would probably be the best place for Olympic Village, since I think Rice Stadium would become Olympic Stadium

If we made it to the Final Four last time, then I think we could go farther this time. Especially after the World saw Katrina and the World Series. Plus the Super Bowl and All-Star game.

I hope we get it this time.

If Atlanta can win, then so can Houston. We have better museums, better arts facilities, better freeways; more diversity, more people, more centralization. There need not be doubts.

Guest Plastic

There's no way we could get it.

Houston's just not ready. We have absoloutley no tourist attractions. We aren't known. Our traffic and transit is sh1t. We need dear help with our entertainment and nightclubs. We don't have a central plaza or sqaure. Besides I don't think we cna hold enough people at Reliant. We'd definatly need another stadium.

Houston's just not ready. We have absoloutley no tourist attractions. We aren't known. Our traffic and transit is sh1t. We need dear help with our entertainment and nightclubs. We don't have a central plaza or sqaure. Besides I don't think we cna hold enough people at Reliant. We'd definatly need another stadium.

negative AND grammar challenged! -_-

show more hope and support for your city bro!

Houston's just not ready. We have absoloutley no tourist attractions. We aren't known. Our traffic and transit is sh1t. We need dear help with our entertainment and nightclubs. We don't have a central plaza or sqaure.

Well when the Megawalk

In English, it's Turin. In Italian it's Turino.

Just like English speakers say "Rome" and the Italians say "Roma."

NBC was obligated to say "Turino" because the International Olympic Committee's policy is to use the local pronunciation, in this case "Turino" in Italian.

I suspect this is a new policy, though, because I don't remember anyone ever talking about the 1976 "Olympiques Mahn-ree-ahl."

I agree and disagree.

Agree: Houston needs a LOT of help with it's nightlife, nightclubs and entertainment, but maybe Houston Pavillions will alleviate that a little. And Reliant Stadium will probably not be Olympic Stadium (too small), so a new stadium or Rice Stadium revitalization is needed. And more tourist attractions could help our bid. Hate to bring up the theme park thing again, but one guaranteed in Houston before the Olympic bid vote wouldn't hurt.

Disagree: Houston is known, since we've had so many news stories revolve around us, both good and bad. Ever since Enron. Secondly, traffic and transit are bad for now, but probably will be much improved with all the urbanization projects and light rail projects coming up, meaning less necessity for cars during rush hour if more people are able to walk or rail to work. Also, Houston Pavillions and the Downtown Park will be opened before this decade ends, so that whole area would be Houston's central square. So I do think Houston has a chance.

Guest Plastic
I agree and disagree.

Agree: Houston needs a LOT of help with it's nightlife, nightclubs and entertainment, but maybe Houston Pavillions will alleviate that a little. And Reliant Stadium will probably not be Olympic Stadium (too small), so a new stadium or Rice Stadium revitalization is needed. And more tourist attractions could help our bid. Hate to bring up the theme park thing again, but one guaranteed in Houston before the Olympic bid vote wouldn't hurt.

Disagree: Houston is known, since we've had so many news stories revolve around us, both good and bad. Ever since Enron. Secondly, traffic and transit are bad for now, but probably will be much improved with all the urbanization projects and light rail projects coming up, meaning less necessity for cars during rush hour if more people are able to walk or rail to work. Also, Houston Pavillions and the Downtown Park will be opened before this decade ends, so that whole area would be Houston's central square. So I do think Houston has a chance.

Ummm wrong, the city transit plan wouldn't be finished till 2022. Even then they wouldn't have all the needed rail lines. The Park and Pavillions will eb simila rot a Centre or Plaz a but they are privatly owned.

What we need is a big outdoor space not all owned by one company. It'd never close and have everything you could think. Then there's things like enviroment. One reason Housotn didn't get it is cause the city just looks plain ugly. Citites like San Fransisco and San DIego have this advantage waaay over us.

And as for known, go to the large majority of forums and chatrooms and say Houston.........90% of the chatters will ask"Houston,where is that?". As if that wasn't ban enough half of Americans can't locate Texas.

Well this is an american problem, Most people on a world scale can tell you that Houston is in Texas.

Anyway I saw we have more look ot The Goodwill or Pan-American Games. If not that we could atleast get World Cup Soccer.

Ummm wrong, the city transit plan wouldn't be finished till 2022. Even then they wouldn't have all the needed rail lines. The Park and Pavillions will eb simila rot a Centre or Plaz a but they are privatly owned.

What we need is a big outdoor space not all owned by one company. It'd never close and have everything you could think. Then there's things like enviroment.

And as for known, go to the large majority of forums and chatrooms and say Houston.........90% of the chatters will ask"Houston,where is that?". As if that wasn't ban enough half of Americans can't locate Texas.

Well this is an american problem, Most people on a world scale can tell you that Houston is in Texas.

The metro solutions plan states that the 9 mile line from UH to Uptown is to be completed by 2012. Other things which are to be done by then (some sooner) are the 20 miles of fixed guidway BRT, possible 28 miles of commuter rail, and 40 miles of suburban BRT. As for the 20 miles of BRT which are meant to be converted to light rail, I would not be surprised that if Houston were awarded the Olympics, those lines would be converted to (or built as) LRT before 2016.

As for your next point. The park will be privately owned? It is also going to have many more things than just trees and grass. So I guess, like you said, paving over Sam Houston park would be better than Pavillions which is right next to the rail line, and will have many shops. Not to mention it would be paid for by private companies, thus reducing the burden on our budjet. Though I believe the city is giving them some money.

Finally, where are these chatrooms where 90% of the members do not know where Houston is? Again where do you get these BS statistics? 50% of Americans do not know where Texas is? 7.6% of the population of the US lives in Texas. Did you go to Wyoming and ask two people where Texas was, and one of them didn't know? But then you say most people outside the US know Houston is in Texas. So what is it? Do 90% not know where Houston is or do 50+% know where it is?

Time Out...

WTF?

If an American can't locate the biggest state in the continental US, their smoking some serious crystal meth. And that would give drugs a good name.

Alright, back on subject...

What we need is a big outdoor space not all owned by one company. It'd never close and have everything you could think. Then there's things like enviroment. One reason Housotn didn't get it is cause the city just looks plain ugly. Citites like San Fransisco and San DIego have this advantage waaay over us.

Anyway I saw we have more look ot The Goodwill or Pan-American Games. If not that we could atleast get World Cup Soccer.

A Pan American or Goodwill Games in Houston would really help Houston's chances of an Olympics, and if we happened to host the Olympics, I think it'd be a good idea to pursue those anyway.

The World Cup? The United States has to win the bid for the World Cup first, and I doubt we have a chance at hosting anytime soon because we already hosted in 1994. 2010's in South Africa. 2014 is a CRAZY hot bid, and off the top of my head, China, Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina, and England are some of the many names pushing for the biggest tournament in the world. I think FIFA plans to reserve 2014 for South America; most likely Brazil. 2018 will be a dogfight for the World Cup, and even if America gets the World Cup, Houston will have to put on another big bid to get a spot as one of the 10-12 World Cup hosting sites. That may be difficult knowing how many new NFL stadiums will be built between now and that time.

I hate to be negative, but I can't see Houston hosting a Olympics. I'm sorry, I just can't.

Houston needs a major lift, and other cities are far ahead of Houston right now.

I would bet y'all $100 dollars that New York get's it. New York is the right place for it. I'm sorry y'all can't see that, but I do. NYC have everything you can name, even two brand new stadiums they about to build. Beleive me, those stadiums going to be state-of-the-art, with retail, resturants and entertainment surrounding it.

Houston needs to stick to Super Bowls, NBA All-Stars and Grand Prix racing.

This will get the blood pumping. Dallas may get the Olympics before Houston does.

I think Chicago would get 2016 before NYC would. NYC went for the 2012 games, they lost, so now they're going ahead with different stadium plans, and won't be planning to use them as an Olympic Stadium. I think Chicago will get the 2016 US bid.

Guest Plastic
I hate to be negative, but I can't see Houston hosting a Olympics. I'm sorry, I just can't.

Houston needs a major lift, and other cities are far ahead of Houston right now.

I would bet y'all $100 dollars that New York get's it. New York is the right place for it. I'm sorry y'all can't see that, but I do. NYC have everything you can name, even two brand new stadiums they about to build. Beleive me, those stadiums going to be state-of-the-art, with retail, resturants and entertainment surrounding it.

Houston needs to stick to Super Bowls, NBA All-Stars and Grand Prix racing.

This will get the blood pumping. Dallas may get the Olympics before Houston does.

I was gonna say they same thing. Cept San Fransisco would be ideal. Don't see how New Ork beat San Fransisco for the 2012 american bid. San Fransisco is pretty and is less crowded. Miami would also be an ideal spot. Infact my choices for America are San Fransisco, Miami,and San DIego. Dallas would likely get it over us since they're more known.

Thenthere's Atlanta. A-town got it by luck not merit. This more or less the chief city of The Deeper South......enough said. The reason they got it cause their comptetitors were liek Iraq and some communist liek countries. Iraq qas at conflict at the time so that left Atlanta.

I think Chicago would get 2016 before NYC would. NYC went for the 2012 games, they lost, so now they're going ahead with different stadium plans, and won't be planning to use them as an Olympic Stadium. I think Chicago will get the 2016 US bid.

Chicago may or may not be in the running. It's hard to say. The mayor wants to build another football stadium to attract a second NFL team, like New York. But when you bring up the topic of using it as Olympic bait, he denies it.

Chicago is hosting the Gay Games this summer. We'll see how that goes and if hizzonor gets any ideas about larger sporting events.

Another point -- I'm not sure Chicago can handle the number of visitors that the Olympics would bring. There are thousands of hotels in the area, and almost all are perpetually full because of all the conventions. When my mother came to visit for a few days last October it was cheaper for me to rent an apartment in my building for a month for her than to pay for a nearby hotel for her for five days.

New York should be able to handle the visitors no problem. I don't know about any of the West Coast cities.

Guest Plastic

I'm not exactly sure Houston could either. I mean we don't have millions of hotels. And our bus,train,a nd airport system,could we get them all here.

I say Houston needs a 3rd airports, a bigger greyhound station, and better Amtrack service before we take this task on. If we have Galveston built upit could e a potential place for visitors both tourist and hotelwise. Of course they would want to go on our major Boulevard which is Westheimer. We'd need a monorail down it.

I say Houston needs a 3rd airports, a bigger greyhound station, and better Amtrack service before we take this task on. If we have Galveston built upit could e a potential place for visitors both tourist and hotelwise. Of course they would want to go on our major Boulevard which is Westheimer. We'd need a monorail down it.

Why would we need a monorail? Also a bigger greyhound station? How many people do you think are going to come in on greyhound? I do agree Amtrak needs much better service in this area, but that again has a small (relatively) impact on the Olympics. Also is a third airport really necessary?

EDIT: Oh and I will bring this back up considering you ignored it.

What we need is a big outdoor space not all owned by one company. It'd never close and have everything you could think. Then there's things like enviroment.

The metro solutions plan states that the 9 mile line from UH to Uptown is to be completed by 2012. Other things which are to be done by then (some sooner) are the 20 miles of fixed guidway BRT, possible 28 miles of commuter rail, and 40 miles of suburban BRT. As for the 20 miles of BRT which are meant to be converted to light rail, I would not be surprised that if Houston were awarded the Olympics, those lines would be converted to (or built as) LRT before 2016.

As for your next point. The park will be privately owned? It is also going to have many more things than just trees and grass. So I guess, like you said, paving over Sam Houston park would be better than Pavillions which is right next to the rail line, and will have many shops. Not to mention it would be paid for by private companies, thus reducing the burden on our budjet. Though I believe the city is giving them some money.

Finally, where are these chatrooms where 90% of the members do not know where Houston is? Again where do you get these BS statistics? 50% of Americans do not know where Texas is? 7.6% of the population of the US lives in Texas. Did you go to Wyoming and ask two people where Texas was, and one of them didn't know? But then you say most people outside the US know Houston is in Texas. So what is it? Do 90% not know where Houston is or do 50+% know where it is?

Here's a top ten list as to who I think has the best chance at winning or who should run for an Olympics:

10. Boston - A little far-fetched, but they have many facilities already in place, and has plenty of opportunities to use Olympic Village after the games for one of it's many universities as dorms. I say Olympic Stadium-Gillette Stadium. Public transportation and name recognition is there. Biggest question is if Boston has the finances to bid and sponsor the Games

9. Washington D.C. -U.S. Capital with good facilities, and so-so public transportation in place. Difficult though because events would be all over the place, from Norfolk to Baltimore and more, which doesn't look attractive to the Olympic Commitees.

8. New York-Great public transportation, great name recognition, and generic-yet "historical" sports stadiums. But they shot themselves in the foot with the Olympic Stadium political melay. If New York's politicians and businessmen can stay unified, can bring back the Manhattan Stadium deal, and have NO controversy behind it, New York has a great chance at hosting. But chances of that are unlikely.

7. Los Angeles-proved twice that it can host the games, and would have a newly built NFL stadium to used as Olympic Stadium. They have all the facilities needed, name recognition, and a huge media market. Their biggest downfall...already hosting two Olympics in the past. The commitee might want to try something new.

5. Dallas- Many stadiums already in place, and Cowboys Stadium is underway in Arlington. I think Texas Stadium, the New Cowboys Park, or even the Cotton Bowl could all be renovated to be the Olympic Stadium.

The public transportation seems almost solved for the future. Six Flags over Texas and Victory Park could be entertainment options. I think their biggest questions would lie with the Olympic Village. I think Dallas has a much better chance now than they did in 2012.

4. Houston. Last time, the drawback subjects were public transportation and name recognition. This time, the problem will be the Olympic Stadium plan. The Metro plan is a long-term plan, but you can expect it to finish much faster if an Olympics are coming. Houston also has location and great, long-lasting facilities on it's side. Chances are better in 2016 for Houston than 2012 if the stadium thing can be solved, and it's bayou plans, development plans, and Metro plans go through. Plus, Houston has the absolute best configuration for an Olympic city than any other in America. All events would be in the closest proximity to each other, and more events can be held within city limits than any other in America, as proven in the 2012 bid.

3. Philidelphia. Simply renovate the NFL stadium for the Olympic Stadium. Household-name city already, and has new facilities all around it. The location is perfect in terms of proximity to other major markets around it. And if push came to shove, Pittsburgh could always pitch in with other facility options

2. San Fransisco. Beautiful scenic areas, steady public transportation, and has many facilities in place. They would pretty much keep the same plan as 2012 if they bidded again, and they should, because it was a good plan.

1. Chicago. They have good sports facilities, great scenery, good public transportation already in place, and is a world-famous household-name city. Biggest problem for Chi-town would be picking the Olympic Stadium site: either they would have to renovate Soldier Field AGAIN for a track in the middle and expand the stadium, or would have to come up with another option. It would be a good place to host.

-----------------------------------------------

Honorable Mention: San Antonio-Austin (wishful thinking), Seattle (but too close to Vancuver-2010 Winter Olympic Site), San Diego (not enough facilities), and Las Vegas (no sports team, but with an Olympic Stadium plan, who knows? They could get good sponsorship and money raised for a bid if they wanted it that badly)

No chance in hell: Miami (not enough facilities), Nashville-Memphis (can't beat the top ten), Detroit (too poor), Cinninati (riots made the city look REAL bad), Orlando-Tampa (too much distance between the two cities)

Guest Plastic

You think alot don't you Yakuza. I misundestood when they said The Park next to The George R. Brown. I was thinking the outdoor park but you guys mean The Park Shopping Center.

And as for BRT will it be long linked buses? That would be as good as rail but it has to get off the freeway. Getting on the street and going through lights would take some time.

Archived