Houston Olympic Talk is Back!

citykid09

4. Houston. Last time, the drawback subjects were public transportation and name recognition. This time, the problem will be the Olympic Stadium plan. The Metro plan is a long-term plan, but you can expect it to finish much faster if an Olympics are coming. Houston also has location and great, long-lasting facilities on it's side. Chances are better in 2016 for Houston than 2012 if the stadium thing can be solved, and it's bayou plans, development plans, and Metro plans go through. Plus, Houston has the absolute best configuration for an Olympic city than any other in America. All events would be in the closest proximity to each other, and more events can be held within city limits than any other in America, as proven in the 2012 bid.

3. Philidelphia. Simply renovate the NFL stadium for the Olympic Stadium. Household-name city already, and has new facilities all around it. The location is perfect in terms of proximity to other major markets around it. And if push came to shove, Pittsburgh could always pitch in with other facility options

1. Chicago. They have good sports facilities, great scenery, good public transportation already in place, and is a world-famous household-name city. Biggest problem for Chi-town would be picking the Olympic Stadium site: either they would have to renovate Soldier Field AGAIN for a track in the middle and expand the stadium, or would have to come up with another option. It would be a good place to host.

I agree with your post for the most part. One thing with Philadelphia though. Would Pittsburgh really be a viable option? It is about 260 miles from Philadelphia. Baltimore or NYC seem to make more sense considering they are only about 80-90 miles from Philly. I think Houston's biggest competition is Chicago and San Francisco right now. Truthfully I don't think Houston will get it for 2016, but I think there is a good chance of a North American city getting it. That would mean even longer before Houston has a chance. And I agree that some of our transit projects could be put on the fast track. Didn't Athens pretty much build a subway just for the games?

Oh and what happened to number 6?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys should really read the Houston bid, as well as read up on why the bid failed, before you pontificate so authoritatively on what doomed the bid.

Houston was rated the best on technical merit. The facilities were not only judged to be the best, but Houston also had the most COMPACT package, with most of the events inside the loop. Transportation was not deemed to be a problem, since the rail system would connect most of the venues, and Houston freeway system is well laid out.

The loss was widely considered to be a sympathetic toss to NYC, not a failure by the runnersup. San Fransisco was considered to have the best chance with the IOC, because of it's natural beauty and post-card effect. The Houston bid however, covered ALL of the items you guys are carping about better than the other cities.

Houston basically lost because it is....well...Houston. It's reputation has improved somewhat since then, but who knows if it is enough. The bigger problem is probably still the US foreign policies. NYC was considered to have been dumped due to this. The stadium deal was a convenient excuse.

You're right that Houston's reputation has improved a lot since the Olympic bid. And if everything else you say is true (I'll have to accept it since I haven't read the bid myself), then the Bayou City has a good shot next time.

But is there the political will?

Personally I think rail transportation from the airport is a must. If the Main Street Corridor from what will be Hardy in the future to Reliant Park could be the focal point of the Olympics, I think that would be a good bid.

London's Olympic Village/Park is 80 miles from Central London connected by:

a6dy.jpg

You guys should really read the Houston bid, as well as read up on why the bid failed, before you pontificate so authoritatively on what doomed the bid.

Houston was rated the best on technical merit. The facilities were not only judged to be the best, but Houston also had the most COMPACT package, with most of the events inside the loop. Transportation was not deemed to be a problem, since the rail system would connect most of the venues, and Houston freeway system is well laid out.

The loss was widely considered to be a sympathetic toss to NYC, not a failure by the runnersup. San Fransisco was considered to have the best chance with the IOC, because of it's natural beauty and post-card effect. The Houston bid however, covered ALL of the items you guys are carping about better than the other cities.

Houston basically lost because it is....well...Houston. It's reputation has improved somewhat since then, but who knows if it is enough. The bigger problem is probably still the US foreign policies. NYC was considered to have been dumped due to this. The stadium deal was a convenient excuse.

The reason why Houston lost the bid in 2012 was pretty public. But I gotta state again that even though Houston had that proposal of great stadiums and proximity, Olympic Stadium will no longer be the Astrodome, as planned in the 2012 proposal. That's if the Astrodome Hotel plan still goes through (and I think we find out the Dome fate this year). If that is the case, the price tag for Houston hosting the games would probably be at a minimum $150 million just to have that Olympic Stadium built. If Houston really wants a chance to win the U.S. nomination, we have to solve the Olympic Stadium issue with no political debates from people over the location, or people just wanting to screw Houston.

I still firmly believe that New York's Stadium battle between the MTA and Madison Square Garden REALLY hurt NYC's chances. London won the bid, even though England is America's strongest partner in recent major foreign policy (Iraq, for instance) so I really don't think that hurt NYC as much as NYC hurt themselves.

Here's a 2002 CNNSI.com article that announced SF and NYC as finalists.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/...7/usoc_bids_ap/

As for the Astrodome track and field facility being out, no contract has been signed for the hotel. It could still be yanked from them if need be, and I am quite confident that Harris County would do so if it helped a Houston bid.

BTW, Rice Stadium does not have a track. It never had one. It was built as a footbal specific facility. If a Houston bid required another large stadium to be built, I doubt it would happen. If $1 Billion in new stadiums is not enough, most Houstonians would say tough luck.

London's Olympic Village/Park is 80 miles from Central London connected by:

a6dy.jpg

Sorry I just have to make a comment because I have been living in London the past few years. I don't know where you got this information but Central London to Stratford (where the Olympic Village/Park will be built) is 6.3 miles after an internet search and on current tube lines takes 11 minutes. However most hotels are in the West End which takes considerably longer by public transport (especially during mass events). Driving the 6.3 miles would take at minimum 30-40 minutes. The photo that you attached is a rendering of the new high speed rail link which is mentioned on the London 2012 website at the following article:

The Olympic Park will be the best connected in history with 10 rail lines and three stations serving the Park; a train carrying spectators will arrive every 15 seconds. By 2010 these 10 lines will be able to transport 240,000 people an hour.

Nine lines are in operation now and the tenth, the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, will begin operation in early 2007. The CTRL will provide the ability to run the Olympic Javelin rail service connecting the Olympic Park with King's Cross/St Pancras, the central London, in just 7 minutes.

Guest Plastic

Even if we get the national voe we have to go against international cities. Cities liek Paris,Tokyo,and Hamburg would still be in there. Compared to most of them Houston just isn't a true city.

Even if we get the national voe we have to go against international cities. Cities liek Paris,Tokyo,and Hamburg would still be in there. Compared to most of them Houston just isn't a true city.

Puff, puff, pass. Puff..puff..pass :lol:

I think Houston has a much better chance at an international scale vote than a national. We're a huge energy-based business city, so everyone that matters (business personel and investors) knows where Houston is. We're not as recognized as London, Paris, and Tokyo, but we're no secret either.

To RedScare, I gotta question if the Astrodome turning into an Olympic Stadium would be a good idea. How often would the stadium be used after the Games? These days, post-Olympic stadium plans have become a part of the bid presentation, and unless Houston Dynamo moved in afterward (which I think is a long-shot), I can't see the stadium being used for events other than track and field championship and meets a few times a year. Couldn't Houston lose a lot more money post-Olympics if Astrodome became Olympic Stadium than as a convention hotel?

Couldn't Houston lose a lot more money post-Olympics if Astrodome became Olympic Stadium than as a convention hotel?

Generally, yes. The hotel project would involve leasing the Dome to private interests, thereby making rent to cover existing bond debt. However, retrofitting the Dome for track would be far cheaper than building a new stadium. Afterwards, it could be used to attract national and international track events. It is a cost of getting the Olympics, but less than having another big stadium with no one to use it. Remember, a stadium with a track would be inconvenient for soccer, since the seats are so far from the field. Plus, an 80,000 seat stadium with only 25,000 fans is a total turnoff.

BTW, the Houston proposal included using both Reliant AND the Dome for Opening/Closing ceremonies, meaning ticket prices would be lower. Athletes would march through both. Interesting approach.

Sorry I just have to make a comment because I have been living in London the past few years. I don't know where you got this information but Central London to Stratford (where the Olympic Village/Park will be built) is 6.3 miles after an internet search and on current tube lines takes 11 minutes.

Sorry I copied and pasted that from another forum.

Generally, yes. The hotel project would involve leasing the Dome to private interests, thereby making rent to cover existing bond debt. However, retrofitting the Dome for track would be far cheaper than building a new stadium. Afterwards, it could be used to attract national and international track events. It is a cost of getting the Olympics, but less than having another big stadium with no one to use it. Remember, a stadium with a track would be inconvenient for soccer, since the seats are so far from the field. Plus, an 80,000 seat stadium with only 25,000 fans is a total turnoff.

BTW, the Houston proposal included using both Reliant AND the Dome for Opening/Closing ceremonies, meaning ticket prices would be lower. Athletes would march through both. Interesting approach.

Actually, there are many major soccer stadiums in the world with a track around it, including the home of the World Cup final in Berlin, and most of the stadiums used in the World Cup in Korea/Japan. I was skeptical about soccer stadiums with tracks in them until I attended a game at Daegu, South Korea's World Cup stadium for a match. The sightlines were still respectable, but yeah, I'd prefer a trackless stadium to watch a game. Also, remember that the Olympic Stadiums in Atlanta and Sydney were both significantly downgraded and reconfigured after the Games to cater to baseball (Atlanta) and soccer/rugby/Austrailian Football (Sydney). The Dome doesn't have to stay a permanent 80,000 seat stadium after the Olympics. Why can't the Dome be rebuilt into a multi-use?

That Reliant/Dome thing did sound pretty cool:) That would fit, like, over 140,000 people, and be the biggest Olympic Opening Ceromony of all time. We can't make the same mistake New York made and make a political battle out of the Olympic Stadium under any curcumstance. We do have a number of reasonable options, but having a post-Olympic profitable use of the stadium would be required as part of the bid for a chance.

Guest Plastic

I think the Opening would be in Reliant and CLosing in The DOme.

For an opening ceremony you need 1 stadium , a huge stadium. While Reliant and The DOme could work for Soccer,ZZZZZtrack, and football there's not enough capacity and floorspace of the ceremonies.

We would probrably have to build an Olympic Stadium. Minute Maid Park could be used for some events too. We'd probrably also need a new arena sicne there are so many events goingon at once. I don't know if Lakewood would lend there's for awhile. Then there's outdoor sports. While the WInter Olympics has skiing The SUmmer has aqautic. We'd need a lake......Clear Lake my preference or Lake Houston.

But hte city will have to be improved. One of the problems is the people said the city looks ugly. And just where wold we put The Olympic Village? Mayour Brown wanted to put it in 3rd Ward which wasn't quuite a good idea. Not only will transportation be an issue but so will traffic.

I think the Opening would be in Reliant and CLosing in The DOme.

For an opening ceremony you need 1 stadium , a huge stadium. While Reliant and The DOme could work for Soccer,ZZZZZtrack, and football there's not enough capacity and floorspace of the ceremonies.

We would probrably have to build an Olympic Stadium. Minute Maid Park could be used for some events too. We'd probrably also need a new arena sicne there are so many events goingon at once. I don't know if Lakewood would lend there's for awhile. Then there's outdoor sports. While the WInter Olympics has skiing The SUmmer has aqautic. We'd need a lake......Clear Lake my preference or Lake Houston.

But hte city will have to be improved. One of the problems is the people said the city looks ugly. And just where wold we put The Olympic Village? Mayour Brown wanted to put it in 3rd Ward which wasn't quuite a good idea. Not only will transportation be an issue but so will traffic.

Why would the opening be at Reliant and closing ceremonies be in the Asrodome? That doesn't make any sense. If Astrodome were converted to a Track and Field, I think the two-stadium deal would still be in place. Once again, that depends on if the Astrodome Hotel idea becomes a reality or not.

Secondly, the only way Minute Maid Park could be used for the Olympics is if baseball/softball becomes an Olympic sport again, which is a toss-up knowing they both were just recently eliminated. The Astros would probably still play there. Toyota Center would still be used for basketball, but would share with the Comets unless the Comets find another play to play, like UH.

Houston planned last time to build an aquatic center at Reliant Park. I don't think many locations would change in the 2016 plan from the 2012. I would imagine that Lakewood would still want to participate as previously planned.

Having been to both Paris and Tokyo, I'm curious what it is about those cities that makes them "true." Or what Houston lacks compared to Paris and Tokyo that makes it not "true." I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

I agree with your post for the most part. One thing with Philadelphia though. Would Pittsburgh really be a viable option? It is about 260 miles from Philadelphia. Baltimore or NYC seem to make more sense considering they are only about 80-90 miles from Philly. I think Houston's biggest competition is Chicago and San Francisco right now. Truthfully I don't think Houston will get it for 2016, but I think there is a good chance of a North American city getting it. That would mean even longer before Houston has a chance. And I agree that some of our transit projects could be put on the fast track. Didn't Athens pretty much build a subway just for the games?

Oh and what happened to number 6?

Pittsburgh? Have you been there? Talk about transit nightmare. Thats one poorly designed city.......theres no such thing as multiple ways to get from point A to point B in that city......It doesnt stand a chance.

Having been to both Paris and Tokyo, I'm curious what it is about those cities that makes them "true." Or what Houston lacks compared to Paris and Tokyo that makes it not "true."

Although I usually disagree with Plastic, the statement did make sense. Not that Houston is a "true" city, but it lacks the cultural identity that cities like NYC, Tokyo, Paris, Athens and London have that make them great cities. No one really visits Houston to experience the culture. We cannot just harp on how diverse we are all the time. It is kind of like how I was looking at the introduction of the World Series when we were playing in Chicago on FOX. It was sort of a promotional video for the city that was full of culture that Houston just could not create.

I love my city and all, but what is it that we have that we can be compared to friggin Barcelona. In my opinion, I think Houston could surprise the IOC if steps are made and we do not go the cheapskate route and do very little to be rewarded with a lot, but it is pretty simple why Barcelona got the games. It is almost a Spanish equivalent to Paris bordered by the Mediterranean.

63507280_ef998c24c5_o.jpg

I dont find the stained, old world concrete eyesores called buildings in Barcelona to be attractive.......

I love my city and all, but what is it that we have that we can be compared to friggin Barcelona. In my opinion, I think Houston could surprise the IOC if steps are made and we do not go the cheapskate route and do very little to be rewarded with a lot, but it is pretty simple why Barcelona got the games. It is almost a Spanish equivalent to Paris bordered by the Mediterranean.

I think of it more as a smaller Spanish version of London. Both cities offer a totally different personality that would attract the games. Don

I think Houston scares the crap out of the USOC. Houston had the best technical bid the last time around, and would have the best bid again. I don't think they could refuse us again after the NYC debacle. To me, the best part of this would be the renewed interest in turning the Astrodome into a dedicated track venue. I love the idea of the Astrodome brought back to its glory with a clear roof and real grass.

On the other hand you have to at least acknowledge that Houston would have an uphill battle on the World stage, which is what scares the USOC. It's not that Houston has a bad rap per se, it's just that Houston isn't the top 4 or 5 US cities that people around the world think about when they think about the US. Picture Germany in your head, what would you think of Dusseldorf's chances of getting the 2016 Olympics if they tried for it? See what I mean? When you think Germany, you probably think Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne or even Frankfurt before you think of Dusseldorf. As with houston, there's nothing wrong with Dusseldorf, in fact it's an economic center of Western Germany in the same way we are an economic center in the southern US. Have any of you ever heard of Canberra or know it's correct pronunciation? If you don't know where Canberra is, you will at least understand why the 2000 summer olympics were in Sydney and not the capital of Australia.

Archived