NRG Park Mixed-Use Development

SpaceCity

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

^^^ thank you for taking the initiative to present to us HAIFERS the greatest TEASE that is known to mankind @Urbannizer  however, we all know that as ULTRA CONSERVATIVE as the officials at the HLS&R are, there is no way on earth, that they would be willing to allocate the necessary BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars... that it would take to bring forth this remarkable/magnificent development to the SCOPE and SCALE that is aforementioned illustrated.  heck, they can just barely manage NRG PARK as it currently stands.  i really hate to be so very pessimistic here, (as i would just LOVE for something of this particular nature to happen) however, i could NEVER EVER see this particular development coming into fruition here in this city at this particular time with the current ULTRA CONSERVATIVE officials that we have in place.  however, in a place that is very LIBERAL MINDED like LAS VEGAS... yes!  however, currently in our fair city of houston, NO WAY...

spacer.png

6 hours ago, monarch said:

there is no way on earth, that they would be willing to allocate the necessary BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars... that it would take to bring forth this remarkable/magnificent development to the SCOPE and SCALE that is aforementioned illustrated.  

well, maybe we can just accept that it is a space that still provides amusement for some, even though the park sadly shut down nearly 20 years ago now.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

IIRC the non-compete clause at Toyota Center has long expired and I spy an arena replacement for NRG Arena. Might it also house an NHL hockey franchise? Could add additional revenue to the overall complex. Also a competing bid might force Tilman’s hand or beat him to the punch. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tigereye said:

IIRC the non-compete clause at Toyota Center has long expired and I spy an arena replacement for NRG Arena. Might it also house an NHL hockey franchise? Could add additional revenue to the overall complex. Also a competing bid might force Tilman’s hand or beat him to the punch. 

It may have expired. Regardless, it did not restrict everyone and all entities from building a new arena anywhere in Houston. It only restricts the Sports Authority from doing so.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tigereye said:

Considering the age of the Toyota Center itself, Tillman may consider moving himself. Though I would consider this proposal in particular an attempt to woo an NHL franchise, like the floundering Arizona Coyotes.

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It may have expired. Regardless, it did not restrict everyone and all entities from building a new arena anywhere in Houston. It only restricts the Sports Authority from doing so.

Was aware of that but I’d expect HCHSA to be involved in the construction of a new arena at the Astroworld site. With a connection to rail via Smith Lands stop, this could be a viable option to attract an NHL tenant as well as replacing NRG arena. This would add new revenue streams, exactly what the tenants are looking for.

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Considering the age of the Toyota Center itself, Tillman may consider moving himself. Though I would consider this proposal in particular an attempt to woo an NHL franchise, like the floundering Arizona Coyotes.

This. I think it’s an attempt to lure the Coyotes or an expansion franchise. 

Edited by tigereye

2 hours ago, jmancuso said:

I have some clothes that are older than Toyota Center and the NRG Stadium and there's already talk about how they need to be replaced? 

NRG Arena (formerly AstroArena) is a totally different place from NRG Stadium. 

No one has mentioned replacing NRG Stadium or Toyota Center 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Preparations under way for Houston to host seven 2026 FIFA World Cup games – Houston Public Media

"Leah Mastaglio is the Assistant General Manager at NRG Park. She said the stadium needs fewer renovations in preparation for the World Cup than others.

“We’ve been having meetings and technical site visits with FIFA,” she said. “Last month was our latest one, and from all the technical departments that spent the entire day with our team here at NRG park, the overwhelming comment back was, ‘There’s not much more that we need to do.'”

Mastaglio said some renovations will need to be done later on along the line. This would include adding a grass field to the stadium and removing some seats to make the field larger.

Chris Canetti is the President of the Houston 2026 World Cup Bid Committee. He said all stadiums with matches will need to do some work to meet FIFA requirements.

“One of the reasons why I think Houston was awarded a FIFA World Cup (match) was because this stadium is already in such good shape as it pertains to those standards,” he said."

• Like 9