The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Point being, The Heights have a certain charm...something that attracts residents.

Oh, you mean all the white people?

When some new residents move in, then try and transform the area to something more to their liking they are deteriorating the sole thing that attracted them in the first place.

My hypothesis is that there are waves of gentrification that can be observed.

The first wave moves into a well-located ghetto because they can get a lot of house for their buck and they don't have any kids to worry about. Artists, students and a few entry-level professionals comprise this leading edge. They are generally cognizant and tolerant of the present state of the neighborhood; they knew what they were buying into. A lot of these folks already perceive themselves as outsiders in comparison to their demographic peers, so being immersed in a different culture isn't much shock to their system. This nascent stage may last for a decade and are what will brand the neighborhood as a hip and trendy place.

The second wave is still a little leery of raising kids in the area, but the income goes up a bit. These residents are still breaking the mold and the early part of the second wave have white collar professional peers (i.e. coworkers/family) prone to exclaim, "You live there!?" These folks are still pretty tolerant of the demographic reality, but they also do not seem to have any qualms about displacing the native population, wether by accident or quiet intention, and they know where the tracks are and which side to stay on. Home flippers are doing good business throughout this stage.

The third wave creeps in, at first only to the most 'civilized' parts of the transitioning area or to a particularly nice home that's been flipped. They introduce friends to the area that had never even driven through before; by now the extent and rate of demographic transistion is not just buzz but has taken a tangible form. Commercial corridors have begun to transition, lawns have cleaned up, graffiti is gone, and pedestrians are walking because they want to rather than because they have to. Civic clubs have been formed, activists have organized; with relatively few exceptions, the members are either affluent or white or homosexual. The first wave would never have even been motivated to try and actively clean up the neighborhood, but the second wave sure was and the third wave is dependent upon that kind of social and civic infrastructure. Before long, the third wave is entrenched; they bid up prices of the best homes (a scarcity) to the point at which new construction can viably create new "best homes." The third wave was much more interested in a well-located area with a hip vibe and pale faces than they were with the original character of the homes. Townhomes go up here and there without much fretting, providing housing for more third-wavers and some late-coming second-wavers. They may be perturbed if a very nice Victorian along a landscaped esplanade gets torn down, but if a smaller Victorian on a random street gets torn down, only the first and second waves will ever take note...but they aren't very influential.

By this time, the first wave has gotten pretty thin and the remaining second wave households have actually started to put their kids (born after they moved into the area) in local schools, which have undergone a fair bit of demographic transition, given how many brown-skinned people have moved out. Third wave follows suit and fourth wave is even more encouraged. All at once, the neighborhood is a reasonable proxy for Bellaire or West U. The fourth wave is wealthy and politically connected, and their preference for big new houses is outright disturbing to everyone that preceeded them. Brown faces can still be seen from time to time, but they tend to be providing maid and lawn care services; those that aren't and that aren't outwardly affluent are watched closely with a degree of suspicion.

At this juncture, politics turns Austin-like. NIMBYs are the dominant voice and politicians take increasing notice of their complaints. To the extent that 'the other side of the tracks' still remains, nobody really seems to care what happens there, but within the better parts of the neighborhood, all sorts of barriers to new supply are proposed, usually on justifications that aren't all that credible or consistent on the face (i.e. density, traffic, affordability, history, environment, ideas of what is "appropriate" or what is not that conveniently protect certain individuals' property values, etc.) but pass muster when area residents have connections or just yell loud enough. The Heights is approaching this level today; it's hard to say where we're going from here.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been here long, but from what I can tell the Heights has been in transition for half a century. I doubt those seriously ugly random apartments on Heights were part of the original planned community, and they weren't built in the last 20 years if I were to guess. People will make financial decisions instead of style ones, whatever is best for themselves. The freedom available in this area to do whatever you want with your property is the same freedom that lets people take a run down property to a mega mansion. The alternative is an HOA where your neighbors decide what's best for you, and we don't move here for that. I really don't get upset when someone builds their dream home on their lot, and even better if they restore a Victorian or a bungalow. Even when one pops up that doesn't match, I think that is part of the Heights' diverse character, at least at this time. Personally I just don't like it when a random self car wash or run down apartment complex breaks the neighborhood feel, but I moved here so obviously it doesn't bother me that much.

How does the ratio of renters vs. owners affect the gentrification process? The artists, students, young DINKS, often start by renting. In places like the Heights many have rented for decades because the prices keep outstripping their ability to buy, even as their incomes go up. But they stay in the neighborhood because they're invested in it, if not financially.

No one wants a crackhouse next door, but the reason the 'feel' of the older inner loop neighborhoods is more encompassing is because they are still accessible and inhabited (in increasingly smaller numbers) by otherwise interesting people who just don't happen to make 6 figures, who aren't bothered by it, and live their lives out of small rental houses and apartments.

Edited by crunchtastic

My late mother grew up in the Heights, my parents met there and started the family there. I was born and raised in Spring Branch, then a far flung suburb, and my earliest forays into the Heights I thought the area was kind of rundown. Flash forward to the mid-80's. Suddenly, job and lifestyle changes have introduced me to a number of people living in the Heights and my perspective changed. I started renting there in 1987, I guess a late Firstwaver, or early 2ndwaver. In the mid-90's, a few years before she died, my mother took my sisters and me on a tour of her memories. All but one of the houses she had lived in were still there, her Reagan alma mater was still there, the grocery store on Studewood and 14th where her father died of a heart attack was still there. Pretty entrenched by then, I bought my house in 1998. For the last 12 years, I have commuted daily 29 miles to Spring for work, and have never once considered moving there. I've been thinking about this thread for several days, and while out walking my dog last night, I finally got my thoughts together. I think the Heights are fine, and safe from total extinction. Yes it is changing, and has been stated, has been changing since it was started. How else does an area go from suburb, to working class haven, to rundown, to trendy, without changing? The smaller cottage type homes still outnumber the McMansions, and will for many years to come. I have come to accept different housing, but am much more amenable to it if it's not a single castle sticking out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood. The townhouses in and around Rice Military are an example of one style of housing almost completely pushing out the "old" stock. I used to be apalled by that, but now understand why people want to live closer in and are willing to live denser to afford it. I'm kind of looking to move right now, but I will always savor the 20 years I've lived in the Heights, and I still think they'll be there to visit for the rest of my lifetime.

How does the ratio of renters vs. owners affect the gentrification process? The artists, students, young DINKS, often start by renting. In places like the Heights many have rented for decades because the prices keep outstripping their ability to buy, even as their incomes go up. But they stay in the neighborhood because they're invested in it, if not financially.

No one wants a crackhouse next door, but the reason the 'feel' of the older inner loop neighborhoods is more encompassing is because they are still accessible and inhabited (in increasingly smaller numbers) by otherwise interesting people who just don't happen to make 6 figures, who aren't bothered by it, and live their lives out of small rental houses and apartments.

I also know at least 3 families that rent that do have 6 figure incomes. They are expats. They live here for the same reasons we do, but have no need to buy as they will be here for limited amount of time.

In fact, good ex-pat friends live in a large (for a bungalow) home that is owned by some people who also live in the Heights- in a very large, historic home. They will continue to rent the smaller home until their kids all move out. THen they will move in to the small one and sell the large one which is not now, nor will it ever be, a teardown. They invested when it was cheaper and now have nothing but good reason to keep the smaller home exactly as it is.

Good Afternoon All,

These are wonderful comments and opinions!

So if the homes are becoming much bigger is it possible many families will stay in the Heights and raise their kids in the city

and attend the public school systems ?

Because of so many town homes many couples will stay a while then plan for a family then move further away ?

What do you see for the future of the Heights ? A mini replica of Bellaire with a twist of Montrose ?

Even West U with some midtown flair ?

Thank You

Good Afternoon All,

So if the homes are becoming much bigger is it possible many families will stay in the Heights and raise their kids in the city

Because of so many town homes many couples will stay a while then plan for a family then move further away ?

What do you see for the future of the Heights ? A mini replica of Bellaire with a twist of Montrose ?

Thank You

Yes to all the above. The larger McVics will bring children and the schools will become gentrified too, which will cause more teardown pressure though as the schools become more attractive to outsiders, who will create more demand for the big box homes.

Yes to all the above. The larger McVics will bring children and the schools will become gentrified too, which will cause more teardown pressure though as the schools become more attractive to outsiders, who will create more demand for the big box homes.

true but there will always be families in bungalows. we're one. i know many, many others.

Good Afternoon All,

Thank You

We're a 4 person family in the Heights in a moderately sized bungalow, middle to upper income.. We're planning on staying for a while, but I cannot see putting our boys in public school.. I think the Heights will have its own identity, and will not be similar to other areas of town..

Personally, I'd rather see large mcmansions than the townhomes which have taken over Montrose, Rice Military, and some small parts east..

We're a 4 person family in the Heights in a moderately sized bungalow, middle to upper income.. We're planning on staying for a while, but I cannot see putting our boys in public school.. I think the Heights will have its own identity, and will not be similar to other areas of town..

Personally, I'd rather see large mcmansions than the townhomes which have taken over Montrose, Rice Military, and some small parts east..

public school in general or public school in the heights?

public school in general or public school in the heights?

Public schools in the Heights.. I may consider the Harvard Elem Vanguard program.. We're currently zoned to Fields.. (ugh)..

If it came to it, I *will* go private..

Public schools in the Heights.. I may consider the Harvard Elem Vanguard program.. We're currently zoned to Fields.. (ugh)..

If it came to it, I *will* go private..

Travis is also a very good school- not vanguard, but it is a magnet. Plus it has that awesome new addition and Spark Park ^_^

We are almost 100% sure we'll do private but that has more to do with big things like No Child Left Behind than it does with the neighborhood. I pretty much won't be happy with public schools anywhere. Of course, the direction of our public schools could (needs to) change in the next 4 years, before my son is due to start.

The whole reason I ask is b/c there was a meeting recently and I believe another planned with city officials and parents in the neighborhood. The idea is the same "urban warriors" that turned both Travis and Harvard around now have their eyes on Hamilton and Hogg as their children approach middle school age. If you children, like mine, are not even in elementary school yet, schools in the Heights, all the way up to Reagan (which isn't a bad school. it's the city's technology magnet) will be very different from what they are now.

I only say this b/c I think there is going to be an unnecessary exodus of young families who are not giving the school system time to catch up with the area.

(not to mention the fact that i grew up in a school system in a working class community that wasn't even accredited and have done better in life than many people i knew in college and after who went to prestigious private schools or some of the best public schools in dallas. like most things, it comes down to the parents... but that is another thread on another message board altogether. :rolleyes: )

Good Afternoon

Wow . . .great feedback and helpful comments !

So the question is that people move to the suburbs 70% for the schools , 10% bigger house , 10% more kid friendly ?

Therefore, with so many townhomes, condos, luxury apartments The Heights does not fit the criteria ?

Thoughts please ???

I've enjoyed people's perspectives on the schools, and anything else is very helpful since we just had our first child in January. From what I hear some of these private places for pre-K require getting on a waiting list before your kid pops out. Personally, I spent half my time in public and half in private schools (albeit in Baton Rouge), and I definitely valued and enjoyed the public schools a lot more than the private. I think everyone should have similar experiences in diversity as I got in the public schools growing up, the private school had much less variety in terms of people and even classes. Again, just my opinion. I do want what's best for both my child's education and safety, and we'll take all of that into account when we finally make that decision. I don't think we'll have to move out of the Heights, but I'm not positive of that.

Therefore, with so many townhomes, condos, luxury apartments The Heights does not fit the criteria ?

Suburbanians have certain expectations and many areas of the inner loop don't meet them. It is more than just having a nice house, the area amenities are just as important. Things many not look "clean" and that scares quite a few off.

Suburbanians have certain expectations and many areas of the inner loop don't meet them. It is more than just having a nice house, the area amenities are just as important. Things many not look "clean" and that scares quite a few off.

This is true. I once worked with a gal that lived in an recently-built apartment in/near the Heights, and when I complimented her on her neighborhood, she just looked at me funny and started talking about how it sucks on account of the trashed out streets and all the Mexicans.

So the question is that people move to the suburbs 70% for the schools , 10% bigger house , 10% more kid friendly ?

Where did you get these statistics? Everyone I know that left for the 'burbs wanted a bigger house and couldn't afford it in the Heights. They wanted a yard and a pool. They will tell you schools have something to do with it, but they just say that to not seem shallow (esp b/c the people I am talking about have either not had children yet or just have newbies under 2 years old). There are excellent public schools inside the loop in other areas, no matter your opinion of the Heights. It's a cost factor that drives people out.

This is a little OT but I need to vent! :P If people have lived in the Heights and moved out for any reason, they are obviously entitled to their opinion. However, people who have never lived (or at least spent an appreciable amount of time) in the Heights really shouldn't weigh in about issues like this. I chat on a national message board (married girlie things) with a local Houston forum. The majority of the women on the local board live in the 'burbs and always have. One time in a conversation they basically said the Heights is a ghetto and I should fear for my safety. In the same conversation, they said they couldn't afford to live here and that it is so expensive. Additionally, comments were made about the area that were so far off base that I could only surmise that these people had never even been to the Heights. Frankly, I think sometimes people belittle the neighborhood b/c they can't afford to live in it. Saying it sucks makes them feel better about their pink brink, berber carpet, same as their neighbor's, dead boring home. <_<

Point is---> be careful who you are listening to when you ask about the area. A lot of people hear a lot of stories and then they become true in their own suburban heads. The only people you can trust are the people with the 1st han knowledge of the area.

Point is---> be careful who you are listening to when you ask about the area. A lot of people hear a lot of stories and then they become true in their own suburban heads. The only people you can trust are the people with the 1st han knowledge of the area.

I have also heard people refer to the Heights in its current state as "blighted" or "too expensive." While both adjectives could probably be used to legitimately describe certain parts of the area, they are sweeping generalizations that are based on opinion rather than fact.

I have also heard people refer to the Heights in its current state as "blighted" or "too expensive." While both adjectives could probably be used to legitimately describe certain parts of the area, they are sweeping generalizations that are based on opinion rather than fact.

Well, it depends on your perspective. We're looking for a house now. I love the Heights, bu I have two kids & a budget around 200K. So to me, ALL of the Heights is legitimately "too expensive." I'm not going to buy a 2/1, 1000 sqare foot bungalow. Maybe I would if it were my only option, but the fact tha I can get a house at least 2x as large for the same price in a suburb not too far away makes the Heights expensive. You could call it opinion, but I call it perspective (based on income, family size, etc.).

I wish that the Heights were still affordable for us, but that's the market. It's a close-in, charming neighborhood. It's going to price some people (like us) out.

Good Afternoon All,

I appreciate all this great feedback and personal comments !

So would it be impossible to raise a family of four in a 3/1 Bungalow Home in the Heights 1,200 Sq Ft ? For that matter

what about a 2/2 family of four ?

Would it be bad or difficult to say family of four and two sons share a room or two sisters ?

I wonder what was standard or considered comfortable for a family of four or five in the early years of the Heights

bungalow homes .

How did people raise thier familes in the older and smaller Heights Homes ? Was there less privacy for the kids ?

Were familes crowded in their smaller bungalow homes and maybe stressful ???

I grew up with 6 brothers and sisters in a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house. We eventually built a 4th bedroom in the garage. I never felt crowded, but you had to be quick to get in the bath in the morning. I don't think it would be that bad with 2 kids of the same sex, but it is a matter of personal preference..

Of course, you might get tired of all of your friends telling you how, "I could NEVER live in a house that small!"

So would it be impossible to raise a family of four in a 3/1 Bungalow Home in the Heights 1,200 Sq Ft ? For that matter

Would it be bad or difficult to say family of four and two sons share a room or two sisters ?

Of course, not impossible. I actually really like the idea of my kids sharing a room. They don't happen to do so very well, as it turns out. And I don't want to share a bathroom with my boys. And our family lives out of town, so I'd like a space for guests....

But my point was really that I can't justify choosing the Heights when a house in which we won't feel crowded is available for less money in Pearland. With good schools. So for me, that's the decision I'm making. And when we visit friends in the Heights I will always feel a pang of regret, but I know we're making the right decision for us. For someone else, the factors would likely be weighed differently, and the Heights could be a great choice.

..So would it be impossible to raise a family of four in a 3/1 Bungalow Home in the Heights 1,200 Sq Ft ? For that matter

I wonder what was standard or considered comfortable for a family of four or five in the early years of the Heights

bungalow homes .

How did people raise thier familes in the older and smaller Heights Homes ? Was there less privacy for the kids ?

Were familes crowded in their smaller bungalow homes and maybe stressful ???

Not sure if these questions were asked in jest or not.. but I'll go ahead and bite..

We have a remodeled 4/3 and have 2 boys.. and not planning any more.. we have 2 rooms up and 2 rooms down with the master bedroom up.. We're keeping the boys together in bunk beds upstairs for as long as we can, but will probably have to move when they get older.. (Say early teens) I'd still like to remain in the Heights of course.. ;)

I think it will be tight by today's standards.. but I wouldn't trade moving to the burbs just to have a larger house, for the being able to bike to festivals/being close to downtown/being close to work/the community..

And yes.. it's not cheap.. grr..

A 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house is going to be too cramped for a family of 4??? Wow. Why would you need to move when the boys get older?

I grew up in a 1200 sq foot 3 bedroom 1.5 bath renovated farmhouse. My dad had to fight me, my mom, and my sister for bathroom access in the morning, but we had plenty of space and privacy.

I knew a guy in Michigan whose family consisted of him, his wife and two teen girls. They were living in an 880 sq foot 1 bathroom bungalow. Not out of economic necessity, either, they liked the house and it worked just fine for them.

Personally I think the bigger issue is storage - the people fit in the house just fine, but their accumulated junk does not!

A 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house is going to be too cramped for a family of 4??? Wow. Why would you need to move when the boys get older?

Perhaps I didn't describe the layout well enough.. The master br is upstairs.. as well as another bedroom where the boys are housed..

I'd rather not have one of the boys' bedroom downstairs alone.. As once they get older, I'm sure privacy for each will become an issue, and that would be the only option.

The main reason why I would want to move is because of layout.. not because of space.. Our house is plenty big for us, but the layout could be different.

Good Afternoon All,

This is really good insight! I plan to share to some coworkers considering moving to Houston and deciding on where to live with his family of four.

Many people I have spoken to choose the inner loop or city to raise a family is because the proximity to the zoo, lots of different parks, museums, theatre district, festivals, libraries, and of course all the sports stadiums and soon to follow Houston Dynamo stadium.

Furthermore those without kids enjoy the local non chained restauants, bars, pubs, stores, and businesses.

I guess some prefer Fairfield or Woodlands for the bigger homes yet NOT having a need or desire for inner loop or city attractions since their commute or drive to city attractions would be tiresome if they already commute during the week.

Thoughts