Interesting Article

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh... oh... oh... my God, what a strange post.

I'm tired of this my-city-could-beat-up-your-city crap.  That discussion is for "loosers" [sic]!

EDIT: Oh yeah.  This is the same troll who started this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...466entry34466

Yes,....."Oh" Face return now to help houston.

But shiny buildings also now in austin.

Oh...............Oh...........Oh.....

i hope chipotle is not taking over. it was started in denver, then bought out by mcdonalds.

when i was at work in denver, my co-workers there asked me if i wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for lunch, i was thinking probably not given where i was, but i was curious. they took me to chipotle.

• 1 month later...
Guest OutOfTheRacesAndOntoTheTracks

Was reading through and just wondering why everyone in here is arguing about which city is better. I love Austin, I love Houston. They're like night and day, which makes them both a delight to visit. Who wants all of our state's cities to be alike? Anyway, can't we all just hate on California? :unsure:

There is something seriously wrong with the guy who wrote that article! I AM MOVING TO HOUSTON BECAUSE I LOVE THE CITY! I've had a cousin that turned down a $30,000 pay-raise if he would've moved to Dallas, but he declined because he loved Houston that much!

People who openly bash Houston like that have no knowledge of this great city!

There is something seriously wrong with the guy who wrote that article! I AM MOVING TO HOUSTON BECAUSE I LOVE THE CITY! I've had a cousin that turned down a $30,000 pay-raise if he would've moved to Dallas, but he declined because he loved Houston that much!

People who openly bash Houston like that have no knowledge of this great city!

Some people might find that crazy, but I don't. As I get older I'm learning that money means less, and time and happiness mean more.

The author of the essay told me in a reply that he lived in Alief.

I replied back; I told him about my neighborhood and how it today is a stark contrast to Alief.

I stated that the Houston experience differs from neighborhood to neighborhood, and that the Heights will go back up considering yuppies, dinks, and urban hipsters are coming in.

Well, I'm a native Houstonian, lived there 34 years...all but one year of my life...but I left. (Not for Austin.)

And I cannot say that some great romantic sentimentality is punishing me for my decision.

A big reason why: from an early age I've been a preservationist at heart, and it crushes me to see building after building felled on a routine basis in Houston (or at least boarded up and never reopened). I mean, there is virtually zero consciousness on the part of the community at large that these things are worth preserving, both from nth-generation Houstonians as well as newcomers. Zero. So I felt completely out of place there. Maybe I'm just completely out of place everywhere.

What is lost by not having the Shamrock Hotel, Lamar Hotel, Metropolitan Theater, the original James' Coney Island on Walker (with the giant handpainted menu), and dozens of other examples? Nothing, if you've never been to those places or grew up in a family where conversations often harkened back to some warm personal anecdote occuring at those spots. Nothing, if your father didn't take you there when you were a kid and talk about how he used to go there when hotdogs were a nickel (another JCI anecdote).

Sure Houston has great museums, opera...by the way the nosebleed seats at Jones Hall start at $25. Most of the supposed "great cultural events" working class joes like me couldn't afford. Nor did I feel they were particularly cultural. Elegant, yes; but not cultural in the truer, older sense of the word.

• 4 weeks later...

Friends of mine were transferred to Austin. They have a beautiful home with spectacular views. However, asked if they really like Austin alot, the answer was, "Yes, it's beautiful here. However, we miss the amenities of Houston." Austin is still small, particularly comparing it to the Dallas / Houston megaplexes. But I enjoy visiting Austin; but I think I'll just stay right here in my beloved H-Town. B)

• 1 month later...
I'm not a big fan of Austin, either. I used to enjoy the occasional trip there in college (of course it helped that everyone I knew had their own "indoor gardens"), but for the last 10 years I've noticed a pretentiousness about Austin that I can't stomach. Everyone I met there was extremely interested in telling or showing me how "cool" and "wierd" and "unique" they were. How about just letting me be the judge of that?

I also think that sprawl has taken over to the point where much of it is not all that different than a mini-Houston.

You gotta give Austin props for their music scene; they do have a ton of music going on there. It's also got some natural beauty that is amazing. I love that about Austin.

They get ZERO props for 6th Street, though. That place is just a mini-Richmond Strip if you ask me, and that's not a good thing. Too many "shot bars" pumping out horrible music and charging way too much money for a bland experience.

In my opinion, it's a decent place to visit, but I'll take Houston over Austin any day. I'd much rather be in the hills camping, though.

I didnt like this, so I'm sharing it with you.

http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/essays/lite...oobaressay5.php

I'm not originally from Texas, and so I don't really have a dog in this fight either way. I will say, however, that I've never really understood the whole Austin thing. Speaking from just my visual impressions of the city, Austin looks exactly like Houston would look if it had hills. Furthermore, Austin people do seem to be unjustifiably smug in certain respects--it would be as if College Station suddenly decided that it was culturally on par with Boston or San Francisco. College Station is a nice town that's also home to a great university and all, but let's not get carried away... As far as unique and interesting places in Texas, San Antonio takes that distinction in my opinion. It's also more down-to-earth than Austin, which is an added plus!

I'm not originally from Texas, and so I don't really have a dog in this fight either way. I will say, however, that I've never really understood the whole Austin thing. Speaking from just my visual impressions of the city, Austin looks exactly like Houston would look if it had hills. Furthermore, Austin people do seem to be unjustifiably smug in certain respects--it would be as if College Station suddenly decided that it was culturally on par with Boston or San Francisco. College Station is a nice town that's also home to a great university and all, but let's not get carried away... As far as unique and interesting places in Texas, San Antonio takes that distinction in my opinion. It's also more down-to-earth than Austin, which is an added plus!

Austin is a snobbish town. I know San Francisco, I lived in San Francisco and Austin is no San Francisco. At the end of the day Houston is the best city in Texas. San Antonio is another booming area to keep your eye on. If we live in Atlanta remember that San Antonio and Austin would be part of the Houstom metro

Austin is a snobbish town. I know San Francisco, I lived in San Francisco and Austin is no San Francisco. At the end of the day Houston is the best city in Texas. San Antonio is another booming area to keep your eye on. If we live in Atlanta remember that San Antonio and Austin would be part of the Houstom metro

Exactly. Austin seems to be snobby in a way that's all out of proportion to its status in life. They seem to think they got some unique cultural mix going on over there, but all I've ever seen driving into Austin on 71 or 290 is the same strip center development that I saw leaving Houston three hours earlier on I-10 or 290. Nothing unique about that!

My wife has friends from college who live in Austin and take every opportunity to bash it over our heads about how great, wonderful, unique, out-of-the-mainstream, etc...ect...etc...blah...blah..blah...Austin is. After several years of this, we finally decided to show them some of the finer points about living in Houston. They came over a weekend, and on Saturday we took the new state-of-the-art light rail from Main Street Station to Hermann Park and spent the day going to Houston's world-class art, science, and children's museums. On Sunday, we took them to the Galleria for a day of shopping in something like five full wings of retail bliss!! Finally, we caught the Astros at MinuteMaid Park on Sunday night. (What...no light rail, no Rembrant and Picasso paintings to be seen, no Galleria-style shopping to be had or pennant-winning professional sports teams to be seen in progressive Austin?!!!) By Sunday evening, even they had to admit that they were impressed with Houston!

On second thought, I guess I lied in my previous post...I DO have a dog in this fight after all!!!

Archived