Interesting Article

WB "squared" HAHAHAHHA.

I once read an article from an Austinite that said something like "I find it amazing that a soul sucking cess pool like Houston has the greates Art Car Parade on the planet"

As if, that should have been in Austin or something.

I love Houston. Except for the defensive retort against snobs from other cities, for the most part it doesnt smack of any snobbyness to anyone. It doesnt have to. We have all this great international scene, and no one from the outside even realizes it. I love that because the ones who choose to stay hear, stay because they want to. All the others eventually leave in disgust, and that's ok with me. Their loss.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
My wife has friends from college who live in Austin and take every opportunity to bash it over our heads about how great, wonderful, unique, out-of-the-mainstream, etc...ect...etc...blah...blah..blah...Austin is.

I was born and raised in Mexico City and I move here (Houston) from the border town of El Paso, TX/Juarez City, Mex. 9 years ago and I think Houston is the only great, wonderful, unique and out-of-the-mainstream city in Texas...!!! Houston is a very multi-cultural City with more interesting places and people than Austin.

I think Austin is nice, is a snooby and small college town, that's all it is, but can not compare with a real City like Houston and several times I have been thinking on moving to Austin because I do not like the everyday commute to my workplace from Katy to the Galleria area, but the average salary, at least on my field (IT) is lower than Houston and real estate is way higher...!!!! So I have accepted living with the commute, that is really not too bad if you know your back roads and how to cheat on the HOV lane. Also the Tex/Mex food is way much better here in Houston...!!! I got tired of looking for the perfect burrito out of home and gave up, the best burritos are the ones "home made" by my wife and also her home made tamales. She's very good at cooking, so we have been thinking on starting one of those "taco trucks" in the weeekends.

Will let you know guys/gals how that works out. Is just and idea.

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, I like those hills in Austin. And that funky granola vibe there make the place seems cool. And who isn't loving life after getting smashed on Sixth Street? But I think we've skipped over a few of the best aspects of Houston:

1) The north side of Houston is located in the piney woods. That's natural beauty. That holds it own against Austin and Dallas. And I'm not just talking about The Woodlands; there are tens of thousands of residences on the north side of Houston that are just as much of wooded wonders as anything in The Woodlands. Kingwood, Champions, the list goes on.

2) Especially at the right times of the year, Houston is amazingly lush, semi-tropical, and of course humid. The vegetation, native and otherwise, is much more coastal than what's in Austin and Dallas. Ok, so Houston's not the Caribbean, but it's a heck of a lot closer to it than Austin. That's natural beauty of a Houston kind. And it holds its own against Austin's natural attractions.

3) We have the damned beach. Austin ain't got no beach. Yep, the beach is ours. Love it hate it. Some of it is nice, some of it is nasty, but it's a beach, and it's ours. Miles of miles of coastline including Surfside, Crystal Beach, Galveston, etc. And that doesn't include the bayfront: Kemah and so on. We have surfers. We have Galveston's historic architecture. The cruise ship industry. It's all ours; it's part of the greater Houston area, it's on the tip of the Houston suburbs, and it's part of the census statistical area.

4) As people have been saying on this forum, we got the awesome restaurant scene that is the envy of most of the nation. We have a plethora of local restaurants that amazes people from all around.

5) We have a higher per-capita income than Austin. And lower housing costs. Do the math; life is good here. :)

6) Houston has its own kind of style in its people. Maybe that can be sene in what was referred to as "River Oaks snobs". Maybe it's an old-money, or old-oil-money kind of decadence. Yet Houston has an amazingly passionate evangelical side to match its pleasure-seeking side. It's a wild place, on all ends of the spectrum. The people are kind of nuts here. It has some elements of that carefree New Orleans style, maybe because it's in the same kind of swampy locale as the Big Easy. It's hard to describe, but Houston has its own kind of vibe in its people, and you can't dismiss it and say that the pretentious granola posers of Austin are better.

Ok, so Houston has a lot of ghetto. So does Jamaica. And no one mentioned industry, but we have some that ugly stuff, too. We're not everyone's cup of tea. And all places in Houston aren't equally beautiful. We're a big city, with big industry, and we've attracted a lot of ugly stuff over the years. But that's part of the Houston experience. That's part of how we're made up.

I read some figures recently showing that Austin's real estate market, contrary to the hype, was flat, and had been flat for a number of years now. I guess they had their little "bubble" and that bubble broke. So all is not perfect in the world of Austin. If things really were perfect, they'd have the cool confidence and grace to give Houston the easygoing smile that we deserve. The fact that the Austin snobs dis us just shows more of their own dashed hopes and expectations than anything else.

I don't want Austin to ever become like Houston. In fact, I don't want ANY place else ever to become like Houston. When you have something incredible, you don't necessarily want to share it with the rest of the world.

Those of you talking about Freebird's, do you know anything about it? It was started in Santa Barbara, then moved to College Station in the mid-90's after the owner did research on the best college town to locate into. Since then they have been very selective about where to start locations and how they are run - I don't even think there are ten total in the state so far.

As to the food, I bet it beats any of these corporate-owned chains. Everything is cooked from scratch in the store; all the veggies are chopped fresh. When you get jalapenos, they are fresh-chopped jalapenos, not pickled. You can either get fresh-made guacamole, or you can actually watch a person chop up an avocado in front of you and put it in.

So we can be racist about it and say that my race's burrito places are better than your race's burrito places, but I bet on actual quality of food Freebird's wins hands down.

wow I am shocked and saddend by how many people feel that way about Austin. Ive always liked and respect Houston, its my favorite city to visit in Texas. But wow people, talk about some major bashing. This is something I would see more common from people from San Antonio than from Houston. I think both cities a great and each of their ways and thats all Im going to say on the subject.

So we can be racist about it and say that my race's burrito places are better than your race's burrito places, but I bet on actual quality of food Freebird's wins hands down.

I had NEVER been to Freebird's but heard about from all the A&Mers. Best burritos etc. Finally a friend got me to go over off of Shepherd a few weeks ago and went there. I must say that the fillings were ok but nothing out of the ordinary. But what really ruined it for me was the tortilla. A tortilla should not be rubbery. It was obvious to me that they took it out of the package and warmed it up a little.

Yes a tortilla in the package is precooked but it isn't ready to eat. It needs to be browned (the little brown spots if you know what i mean) slightly on a comal or the easier/lazy way over the flame on a gas stove. Doing this removes the rubbery consistancy and it tastes much better.

The burrito itself is a United States thing, invented on this side of the border. For me? just give me the good old taqueria variety cause I know the tortilla will be cooked properly.

Oh I forgot, if you don't see hispanic customers in the dining room, the food probably isn't authentic.

I had NEVER been to Freebird's but heard about from all the A&Mers. Best burritos etc. Finally a friend got me to go over off of Shepherd a few weeks ago and went there. I must say that the fillings were ok but nothing out of the ordinary. But what really ruined it for me was the tortilla. A tortilla should not be rubbery. It was obvious to me that they took it out of the package and warmed it up a little.

Yes a tortilla in the package is precooked but it isn't ready to eat. It needs to be browned (the little brown spots if you know what i mean) slightly on a comal or the easier/lazy way over the flame on a gas stove. Doing this removes the rubbery consistancy and it tastes much better.

The burrito itself is a United States thing, invented on this side of the border. For me? just give me the good old taqueria variety cause I know the tortilla will be cooked properly.

Oh I forgot, if you don't see hispanic customers in the dining room, the food probably isn't authentic.

Each tortilla is placed in a steamer right after you order it. You tell them which of the four kinds you want, and then you watch them steam it for you. It comes out hot to the touch.

On the one hand you say the burrito is a U.S. thing, and then on the other hand you say that if there aren't hispanics, it's not authentic. Well if it's a U.S. thing, does it need hispanic customers to be authentic?

As to the ingredients, again, I would put the freshness and quality of these ingredients up against any other restaurant that offers burritos, "authentic" Mexican or not. They literally chop everything right there.

Tell me, at what other burrito place do you not only see them grilling the meat in front of you as you walk up to the line, but can also watch your server chop up an avocado for you and put it in?

Each tortilla is placed in a steamer right after you order it. You tell them which of the four kinds you want, and then you watch them steam it for you. It comes out hot to the touch.

Ah ok, that's what makes it rubbery. You don't steam tortillas, they have to be grilled til they get the brown spots.

On the one hand you say the burrito is a U.S. thing, and then on the other hand you say that if there aren't hispanics, it's not authentic. Well if it's a U.S. thing, does it need hispanic customers to be authentic?

True you got me there. I'm just saying that if i took my mom there who is hispanic, she would have a problem with the tortilla too.

Tell me, at what other burrito place do you not only see them grilling the meat in front of you as you walk up to the line, but can also watch your server chop up an avocado for you and put it in?

To be honest i rarely eat burritos and never with meat. I prefer only vegetables. When I went, the items were already precooked/cut in containers and they just scooped them into the tortillas.

:D

This is something my mom and I noticed when we walked into Chuy's and granted the food we ordered was horrible.

Ah ok, that's what makes it rubbery. You don't steam tortillas, they have to be grilled til they get the brown spots.

True you got me there. I'm just saying that if i took my mom there who is hispanic, she would have a problem with the tortilla too.

To be honest i rarely eat burritos and never with meat. I prefer only vegetables. When I went, the items were already precooked/cut in containers and they just scooped them into the tortillas.

You know what you should do? You should walk in there and tell them they're doing it wrong. Say, "I'm hispanic - you're doing it wrong." Let them know how a tortilla is supposed to be cooked. You're hispanic. Only you can set them straight on this.

You know what you should do? You should walk in there and tell them they're doing it wrong. Say, "I'm hispanic - you're doing it wrong." Let them know how a tortilla is supposed to be cooked. You're hispanic. Only you can set them straight on this.

I would have to charge them for that advice. Instead, I'll go to a taqueria and let them survive on their own. That Shepherd Plaza curse is hard to dodge. In the past 10 yrs, how many businesses there have opened and closed? Amy's and Le Peep are the only ones that i can remember that are still there long term.

There are plenty of great restaurants in Houston. The good ones thrive and the bad ones fail. I'd venture to say that we are also one of the toughest markets because you can get great food at reasonable prices. How many national chains have closed up shop here cause they thought they could make an easy buck?

Believe me, I've spent thousands of dollars foodwise, great and mediocre. I used to go to some places cause it was a cool place or cool to be seen there, not because the quality of the food. Now, I just go to eat and my stomach can confirm.

Did y'all see last week's travel section in the Chron?

They focsed on Austin. They quoted locals as saying how "diverse" and hip the strip is there.

I had to laugh at the thought of Austin being diverse. If a bunch of emo kooks is your idea of "diverse", I wonder what that makes Houston?

I like Austin, but it's guilty of taking itself way too seriously, all the while feigning that it doesn't.

342xSectionMain.jpg

"It's not just the young people. It's the old folks, people with money. It's diverse as far as who it attracts.''
"It's very diverse," she said. "It's just a really great way for people to get a quick flavor of what Austin is all about. It is the street."
Do you ever make a pleasant comment on this forum?

It's OK. Freebird's really is terrible. It's great on a college budget I suppose.

The one in Houston is sub-par and has no soul. Not to mention that Sheppard Square is cursed.

Love the picture! One chick on a bike and THREE fat people walking down the street. Looks like Heights 1st Saturday to me. Wow! Austin really IS diverse. :lol:

LOL, only thing missing is an art car parked in view.

If I'm following this exchange correctly, these women are unattractive because they're of normal weight, or not of normal weight, dress conventionally or unconventionally and are on bicycles or not on bicycles.

Good Lord. It's a wonder that there's a straight woman alive who's kept her sanity.

If I'm following this exchange correctly, these women are unattractive because they're of normal weight, or not of normal weight, dress conventionally or unconventionally and are on bicycles or not on bicycles.

Good Lord. It's a wonder that there's a straight woman alive who's kept her sanity.

Who accused straight women of being sane? :lol:

MY point is not to belittle the shoppers picture in the photo, so much as to belittle the superficial observations of the writer and her intended audience. She included all of the requisite descriptors of the faux urban experience. "Diversity", "Cool", "Quirky", and "Hip". Cool and hip to who? Why, to the suburban upper middle class, that's who. Call it "Safe Diversity". Hang out on Congress for a few hours, watching a few dozen people with tatoos and piercings, and return home, secure in the knowledge that you are so much more enlightened than your neighbors who merely eat at the chain restaurant at the local Town Center. Then you take the doggy sombrero and bandana off of your tortured pet and put them away until the next time you need to rejuvenate the soul by celebrating your appreciation for ALL white people, not just the ones who drive SUVs.

Archived