Interesting Article

The Austin hills and lakes are certainly beautiful. Houston will never have that. But Austin a*sholes are another matter. They didn't use to be that way. I believe the massive increase in population is mainly jerks from Houston and Dallas, who now are jerks from Austin. We hated them here and now we hate them there. These tend to be the ones who are overdeveloping Austin to look like Houston and Dallas, as well.

All in all, Austin is a great town that is getting bigger daily. Some of that growth will cause it to lose some of its charm. But, what can you do? It's gonna happen.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. I some times react the same way. But now when I encounter those people in Austin, or anywhere for that matter, I start in on 'em. I make them tell me why they think the way they do about Houston. 9 times out of 10, they don't know. It's just something that they've heard about Houston without any first person experience. Then I will bring up Houston in ever conservation I ever have with them. It doesn't always work, but a good many of those people have told me that I have helped to change there minds about Houston. It's one person at a time. I've some times think of myself as Houston's unoffical goodwill ambassador in Austin.

Austin needs Houston more than Houston needs Austin.

And you can print that and send it to Rick Perry.

I just don't like hippie granola posers, and I have met plenty in Austin.

Instead of keeping Austin "wierd", the motto should be "keep Austin REAL."

Other than that, it has about as many tourist attractions as Houston other than the concetrated college scene.

But I still like to go there now and then.

<_< Look, That was my opinion, but I did visit Houston at every angle. The only place I actually liked was the Museum District. But Austin does have its own personality and is not just a big city. I am sorry if I caused you all to get your undies in a bunch. I do not get bothered that u all bashed Austin. I dont over react like most of you all. At least I can say I am sorry and I was wrong to bash Houston in a way. That was just a unbiased opinion. But let's stop this argument. I just love Austin. And people who bash it never been all over Austin and seen it's hidden treasures. And if it was so boring and bad why is it as the Best place to make business and to live. I do not beleive Houston was the 2nd safest city. The safest is actually Ashville, NC. :rolleyes::)

When someone says your mama is ugly, I dont consider it an overreaction to get somewhat nasty, wad some panties, and yes, take it personally.

That's kinda what's its like when Houston is bashed.

That's pretty much all true. Except, from my personnal and extensive experience with the arts and entertainment arenas in Austin, I would say that they are very eclectic. It's all perceptive anyway. I think that if changed out inner Austin and inner loop Houston, no one would really notice. They have a very similar feel. They're both kickass.

Well, Austin really knows how to promote the South by Southwest music/film convention on a national level, to the point where Autin is considered around the U.S. to be a destination for art, music, and film. I, personally, think that Austin's reputation in that department is a bit overblown. However, if it brings more positive attention and $$$ into the State of Texas, I'm all for it. Besides, I'm pretty sure this reputation that Austin has built for itself was a big factor in MTV's decision to film this season's episodes of The Real World there.

S. Congress is getting better. An old two-storey office building at Riverside has been turned into shops and restaurants (FREEBIRDS!), the Texas School for the Deaf has finished reconstructing the wall of their property that faces the street, an old auto repair shop at Academy is being converted into a bar and/or restaurant, an empty shop next to Texas French Beard is now Farm to Market grocery, and Vespaio is turning the old Rock N Roll Rentals into an Italian bakery and market. The Guero's guy (I can't remember his name) is turning the Capitol Car Credit car lot next to his restaurant in a mix-use with retail, offices, and residences with the Bloundin Creek NA's blessing. I like this one. The owner is sometimes good. In this case he is good. In others he is not. Like in 2000 when he lead the effort against lightrail on Congress. It just missed passing by 500 votes. We would already have it up and running now. C'est la Vie. South Congress Baptist Church is a huge eyesore. They also own the full block of gravel parking lot next to them. They won't sell it either. They'll probably end up paving it for better parking conditions in the future. That one is really sad, because it could do so much for the street and surrounding neighborhoods. It's just gonna take time. Things like this often move at a glacial pace in Austin.

I thought they started in Houston!

That blows - if they arent a Houston chain then to hell with them!

They are a Houston chain, the original is on Alabama. I don't know where all of their locations are or if they expanded outside of Houston, even though I doubt it since I believe there are only 2 around (I guess Chipolte is taking over?), but it is a Houston company. Oh, and Chipolte is a Colorado company.

None of those even come close to the authentic and delicious offerings of the many fine taco truck establishments. Taco trucks...now that's real.

I dont agree - most taco trucks offer cheap bad meat (fatty and gristly meat) that is made in unsanitary conditions - the one plus is its really cheap. It may be authentic but leave me out of the equation. If being a good Houstonian means liking ____y food from Timmy Changs, and or Taco stands then Im a bad Houstonian!

It's not about being a bad Houstonian, it's about recognizing where the good taco stands are. Some are indeed nasty. But many not only are not, but are some of the best. Unfortunately, you have to try the nasty stuff in order to elliminate the bad from the good. But that's the case for sit-down restuarants also.

Oh to AUSTIN-

many "Oh faces" live in Austin

many pukey college kids on sixth street

many suicide design freeways

many wide-open spaces

many minor league aspirations

many ignorant college football loosers from all over the state return bc they have nothing better to do on saturdays

Oh to HOUSTON

Many world embassies, world restaurant, world languages

Gamma World Class City (only behind NYC, LA, Chicago, and SF in US) Austin not even spec on the map

Many Major League Realizations

(UH + Rice + TSU) > UT, oh......

the only college football loosers here return to UT, TAMU, TTech, OU, LSU on Saturdays bc real 'Houstonians' have more important things to worry about like...

building world's largest medical center,

2nd largest port in the US,

energy capitol of the world,

thriving art, entertainment, theater, facilities,

world-class architecture,

Professional sports that actually have a playoff system.

Oh, Austin wishes it was Houston and so it is becoming a mini- Houston with sprawl, while Houston heads in opposite direction

Oh...Oh....Oh..........................

Archived