Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

Anyone seen crews working on this lately? I haven't notice any additions in the last few months. Even if the bridges are going to take awhile I wish they'd complete the other sections. I can live without the bollards and traffic control if they'd complete the E-W section between Yale and Waverly.

They're working on that section now. The forms are in place at Yale.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do like that I'm seeing lots of people on it every day, maybe even more than on Heights Blvd. I forget what street, maybe just north of 13th, but there's one family always out there in lawn chairs with the kids playing. I think that's what we need more of, neighbors out seeing and talking to other neighbors. I'm trying to do it.

Well, I am going out on a limb, but I think you're talking about our family! We're at 13th ... yes, our kids would be outside 24 hours a day, if they could. We eat dinner outside nearly every night, too. (haha)

We were skeptical at first, but we're truly thrilled with the trail now! We've met so many people - more every week.

I am, however, hopeful that the city will maybe put in more stop signs. 13th can be pretty scary, and we've seen people race across the intersection without really checking for traffic. Really praying that there isn't a disaster in the future. (and since our kids are always outside, that would be a double-disaster to witness)

--janis,etc

Well, I am going out on a limb, but I think you're talking about our family! We're at 13th ... yes, our kids would be outside 24 hours a day, if they could. We eat dinner outside nearly every night, too. (haha)

We were skeptical at first, but we're truly thrilled with the trail now! We've met so many people - more every week.

I am, however, hopeful that the city will maybe put in more stop signs. 13th can be pretty scary, and we've seen people race across the intersection without really checking for traffic. Really praying that there isn't a disaster in the future. (and since our kids are always outside, that would be a double-disaster to witness)

--janis,etc

That's great, and we'll probably see you outside soon! We'll be pushing around a stroller with a crazy little redhead girl who will probably be trying to work her way out of the stroller at all times. She does what she wants, but she's cute so it's ok most of the time.

If you knew the history of how long it took to get started, I think it was hard not to be skeptical. I was a little skeptical, too.

But I must say that, while the project hasn't proceeded on a super-expedited basis or anything (is December still the projected completion date?), it seems to have been progressing steadily since it got going, and more quickly than I anticipated.

During the groundbreaking they said completion was August, although there was a general acceptance that this would be done well before that. The next phase of the trail, which will take this on towards UHD, is supposed to start in the fall. Not sure if that is still the plan what with money being tight and all...

They were indeed pouring concrete on the bridge that crosses over Studewood last night. Very impressive sight! The guard rails look really low and I wonder if there are plans to make them a bit taller for safety reasons or put fencing over the top.

The tressel over the bayou is in need of major work after several fires and general neglect. Now that folks will be able to access the tressel in both directions, I hope they make improvements before someone gets hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Walked the trail today from W 14 to the tressle. Took some pics of the progress.

They extended the trail west of Nicholson to Lawrence Park, near N. Shepherd. This may come in handy for the drug dealers (discussed in This thread).

IMG_2141.jpg

They have not completed a large part of the section between Nicholson and Yale. One matter with which they are dealing is reconfiguration of the drainage at the bottom of the north-south streets in that area. I was also surprised that they are putting a large part of this segment on the side of the old rail bed, not on the bed itself.

IMG_2143.jpg

Based on these insets at the street intersections, it appears they do intend to put in posts to block cars from driving onto the trails. They did not include these insets along Nicholson.

IMG_2144.jpg

The stretch below White Oak, adjacent to the Freeland Historic District offers a great view of the CBD skyline.

IMG_2145.jpg

They have pulled up the old ties from the tressle, but that's it. They also have poured the concrete on the stretch over the knob between the tressle and the bridge over Studemont.

IMG_2146.jpg

The public art projects are being installed. (The artist, Miguel, has a magnified view of his artistic abilties...among other things).

IMG_2147.jpg

I cycled most of the trail yesterday and was dissappointed to see the graffiti artists had already spray painted their sense of 'humor' on the trail by the train trestle (your last pic, Porch, good thing you didn't show all of it). Whoever Geno's mom is, she is not friends with the taggers.

• 2 months later...

If you start at Shepherd and Gray, I would then go north on Waugh to get into the Heights. If you're OK with traffic, take the lane - you'll be fine. Otherwise, the sidewalk on the east side goes all the way across. Once you get to Washington, you have a nice bike lane on Heights Blvd and that will take you all the way up to 20th street. Heights has a lot of nice houses to stare at as you cycle past.

Turn west down 19th st and see the shops. Cricket's is a good stop for ice cream.

Off of Heights, turn east on 8th street, cross Studewood, and then you can meander through the Woodland Heights. Bayland st is really fun to bike - and shady! Antidote coffee shop on 7th(?) and Studewood is a nice stop for refreshment and Kaboom used bookstore is there too.

Buchanan's Native Plants on 11th and Oxford (I think it's Oxford) is a nice place to visit, too - their grounds are very fun to wander.

The Nicholson trail listed above is great. Also, if you turn west on 11th from Shepherd, you can pick up the White Oak bike trail on TC Jester (I think Nicholoson will eventually meet up with it????)

Have fun! Cycling in the Heights is pretty easy, once you get across the bayou.

If you start at Shepherd and Gray, I would then go north on Waugh to get into the Heights. If you're OK with traffic, take the lane - you'll be fine. Otherwise, the sidewalk on the east side goes all the way across. Once you get to Washington, you have a nice bike lane on Heights Blvd and that will take you all the way up to 20th street. Heights has a lot of nice houses to stare at as you cycle past.

Turn west down 19th st and see the shops. Cricket's is a good stop for ice cream.

Yes, Cricket's is a good stop. Beware of the mean old lady in the antique store next door. She will come out and yell at you if you leave your bike on the sidewalk or in front of her store.

Off of Heights, turn east on 8th street, cross Studewood, and then you can meander through the Woodland Heights. Bayland st is really fun to bike - and shady! Antidote coffee shop on 7th(?) and Studewood is a nice stop for refreshment and Kaboom used bookstore is there too.

Buchanan's Native Plants on 11th and Oxford (I think it's Oxford) is a nice place to visit, too - their grounds are very fun to wander.

The Nicholson trail listed above is great. Also, if you turn west on 11th from Shepherd, you can pick up the White Oak bike trail on TC Jester (I think Nicholoson will eventually meet up with it????)

Have fun! Cycling in the Heights is pretty easy, once you get across the bayou.

I agree with everything sunsets posted here, and wish you great joy of your ride. The Houston Bicycle Club has a couple of weekend rides, the EZ Ride and the Houston Sans Car, which sound very much like what you are describing.

I would suggest looking carefully at the big bikeways map kylejack suggested. There are a lot of places where bike routes parallel a heavily traveled street one or two streets over where there is little traffic. It's the kind of thing you don't really notice when driving a car but if you seek them out you can happily ride in greatly reduced traffic. I also suggest doing what the clubs do and start early in the morning. You will have a LOT less traffic and it will be somewhat cooler. If you don't want to ride on Waugh, take W. Dallas into the western part of downtown (past the Beth Israel Cemetery and Founder's Cemetery), cross the bayou near Sesquicentennial Park at the Wortham Center, and take either Washington or the Eleanor Tinsley Park bike path back over to Heights. Washington is a straighter shot.

From Shepherd and West Gray, you could go north on Shepherd, cross Allen Parkway and when you get to Memorial jump the curb and ride the paved and/or dirt path along the bayou heading east. There's a pedestrian bridge that crosses Memorial at Jackson Hill, go over that and down JH to Washington. Cross Washington, jog over to Leverkuhn and head north to Center. East on Center to Heights Blvd and take the path north. I'm okay riding busy streets in a group, but when I'm by myself I prefer to take the paths less travelled. I ride from my house in Norhill to Memorial Park at least a couple times a week and have a backroad path that keeps me being in traffic to a minimum.

If you're starting at the Hot Bagel Shop you're by Shepherd and Welch. My low car traffic route would be to take Welch east to Dunlavy, then Dunlavy north to Allen Parkway. Jog over on the bike path to Waugh, and take Waugh north as it turns into Heights Bl. Go right on White Oak, then the first left onto Harvard that runs parallel to Heights Bl. Not much traffic and some OK old architecture along there. Turn left onto West 19th and find a nice place for lunch!

From Shepherd and West Gray, you could go north on Shepherd, cross Allen Parkway and when you get to Memorial jump the curb and ride the paved and/or dirt path along the bayou heading east. There's a pedestrian bridge that crosses Memorial at Jackson Hill, go over that and down JH to Washington. Cross Washington, jog over to Leverkuhn and head north to Center. East on Center to Heights Blvd and take the path north. I'm okay riding busy streets in a group, but when I'm by myself I prefer to take the paths less travelled. I ride from my house in Norhill to Memorial Park at least a couple times a week and have a backroad path that keeps me being in traffic to a minimum.

Scott, that all sounds good except I would never recommend riding a bicycle on Shepherd at any time of the day or night.

I've done that ride a lot, heading up Waugh is the easiest. From Shepherd there are a lot of ways to get to Waugh, I would just go up McDuffie, down hill to cross Allen Pkwy and get on the trail. Head east to Waugh, then north and do what everyone else says. You don't want to cross I-10 on Shepherd or Yale. Yale sucks on a bike, especially under the RR underpass.

Scott, that all sounds good except I would never recommend riding a bicycle on Shepherd at any time of the day or night.

It was too hard to explain, but from that area, I'd probably head down McDuffie, ride down Shepherd a few hundred yards to Allen Parkway, then jump on the sidewalk going over the bridge to Memorial. Shepherd is a bit crazy, both bumpy and with very fast traffic.

We'll be fine getting from Shepherd to the Heights (we've lived in the Montrose and Grey areas for many years), just wanting to know where to go in the Heights. Hey, I've only been hit on Waugh once (at Allen Parkway). The guy was entirely not paying attention, I stopped at a red light, he stopped with his car against my leg and tire. I was fine, but he could have at least rolled down his window and asked if I was ok....? LOL, he was setting a great example for his kids.

We'll be fine getting from Shepherd to the Heights (we've lived in the Montrose and Grey areas for many years), just wanting to know where to go in the Heights. Hey, I've only been hit on Waugh once (at Allen Parkway). The guy was entirely not paying attention, I stopped at a red light, he stopped with his car against my leg and tire. I was fine, but he could have at least rolled down his window and asked if I was ok....? LOL, he was setting a great example for his kids.

For nice houses and pleasant streets I would go down Harvard between White Oak and 18th, and Bayland between Beauchamp and Michaux. As far as places to stop there are plenty of places on White Oak or 19th street, and for the Bayland route I would stop at King Biscuit (Beauchamp@Whiteoak) on one end and Antidote on the other.

This might also help you plan a route...

http://www.whitelinennightheights.com/map.htm

I've never been to this event, but it seems like it's a crawl that covers Heights area bars, restaurants and shops. Whenever I get around to doing a bike tour of the Heights I'll probably use this map as a guide, along with the many helpful suggestions above.

Hot Bagel shop, up Waugh, White Oak to Onion Creek Farmer's market.

Over to Antidote for a coffee.

Up Harvard to 20th. Looked for Ma's but only found an empty lot.

Locked our bikes up on 19th.

Shopped, read the plague by the pumping station. Bought some more Penzy's spices and ice cream at Cricket.

3.5 or 4 hour trip. Bushed.

I think we're going to like living in the Heights!!! (the part of the trip that stunk was W Alabama to I-10 and back!!!)

Archived