Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

Sounds like a fun ride! Alabama to I-10 is never very fun, though I consider Gray to I-10 to the be the worst.

As for this

Yale sucks on a bike, especially under the RR underpass.

Let me guess - you hit that huge pothole too? When I get caught by the train on Heights, I have to decide whether to wait it out, or have the adrenaline rush of the detour over on Yale. I usually wait it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode the length of the trail today, from my house as far as it would go. Still nothing on the RR bridge over White Oak Bayou. I crossed the bayou on Studemont, then rode down the side of the bayou to the other end of the RR bridge. From there I crossed the bridge over Studemont. It was a nice ride under I-10 and past the Target and Sawyer Heights area. That area is looking more and more busy. The part I hadn't been down was after that down Spring St. I like that stretch. A bit seedy, but that's my style when it comes to urban exploration on a bike. The part all the way down Spring is finished, across Houston Ave.

Past there it goes underneath the I-10/I-45 monster-change, which I have to say was kind of surreal. I know I'm right next to downtown, but there's really no sign of it. Only elevated freeways, the bayou, and lots of green (mostly weeds). I got to a bridge that crossed white oak bayou, and right after that the trail stopped. I wish I brought the camera along, but oh well. Looking on google maps I think the area past this is going to be pretty cool, along the bayou with great view of downtown, next to some warehouse type businesses. I assume it will cross the bayou into downtown right before Main, I see another old RR bridge there.

I can't wait until they finish it off, it's a million times better for going from my house to downtown on a bike than taking regular streets. Much more direct, and even though you cross a lot of streets it's a lot less traffic than if you rode the streets.

I'm making it as a Bikely route but I can only go one path, so should I go the route that follows Spring Street or the one that goes through Stude Park? Which is the actual Nicholson trail? The city seems to have deleted the individual trail maps and I just have the big one.

Starting on September 2, there's going to be some impromptu cyclocross races in the grassy area between White Oak Bayou and I-10 adjacent to the new bikepath, on Wednesday nights at 6:00. Allegedly work on the RR bridge crossing the bayou is supposed to be done in September. This is a very grassroots type event with the blessing of the proper authorities, come on down if you'd like to watch me suffer (and maybe try it yourself!)

A quick question on bike trail safety/etiquette, to which there may be no "right" answer: If I'm a walker/jogger on a bike trail, do I:

A. stick to the left of the path (like I would if I were walking on a street), facing oncoming traffic, so that I can step off the trail and out of the way when a bike is coming?

B. stick to the right of the path (like I would on a jogging trail), so I'm heading the same direction as the bikes, as bikes can pass me on the left?

I guess there's a third option - C. I shouldn't be walking on the bike trail any more than I should be biking on the Boulevard jogging trail - but it seems like A is the functional equivalent of C given that I wouldn't be "in the way" of any bicycles.

I'm not looking to start a bikers vs. joggers/walkers argument - I'll probably be on the trail on my bike more than I'll be on it as a pedestrian - I was just hoping to find out if there's an accepted bike trail convention to follow when I'm a pedestrian. The predictability of convention seems to be the key to safety when it comes to the mixing of people and wheels...

A quick question on bike trail safety/etiquette, to which there may be no "right" answer: If I'm a walker/jogger on a bike trail, do I:

A. stick to the left of the path (like I would if I were walking on a street), facing oncoming traffic, so that I can step off the trail and out of the way when a bike is coming?

B. stick to the right of the path (like I would on a jogging trail), so I'm heading the same direction as the bikes, as bikes can pass me on the left?

I guess there's a third option - C. I shouldn't be walking on the bike trail any more than I should be biking on the Boulevard jogging trail - but it seems like A is the functional equivalent of C given that I wouldn't be "in the way" of any bicycles.

I'm not looking to start a bikers vs. joggers/walkers argument - I'll probably be on the trail on my bike more than I'll be on it as a pedestrian - I was just hoping to find out if there's an accepted bike trail convention to follow when I'm a pedestrian. The predictability of convention seems to be the key to safety when it comes to the mixing of people and wheels...

Best advice is do just you would driving on the road. Stay to the right allowing faster traffic to pass on the left. It's the biker's duty to pass safely, or yield if necessary. C. - is not an option. You have as much right to be there as anyone on a bike.

I agree with Gooch, stick to the right to allow them to pass. It's much easier on this trail than the biking trails at Memorial where I was this morning. I know that pedestrians (and their free roaming dogs) are free to be on the trails, but so many are clueless and inconsiderate when it comes to getting out of the way. The runners on those trails are much better about it than the people with dogs. If I'm coming down a big decline, your dog is just standing in the middle of the path and isn't on a leach, and I have nowhere to veer off the path without going in a gully and no ability to stop fast enough, your dog is going to get hit and I'm not going to feel very bad about it. So leash up, I think that's the rule anyway.

For maximum safety on a shared bike/walking/jogging path, pedestrians should:

a) Stick to the right

B) When walking/jogging two abreast, move over to allow a faster trail user to overtake you

c) Keep the volume on earphones low enough so that you can hear a cylist coming up behind you

d) If you hear the phrase "on your left", it means you are about to be passed on the left. It does not mean you should jump to your left, which usually puts you and a cyclist in a bad situation

e) Please, PLEASE do not walk your dog on a retractable leash. Cyclists usually can't see them until it is too late.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking A made the most sense for a bike trail, but it sounds like B is the precedent, and that's good enough for me. B should work if bikers call out, and if walkers/joggers stick to the right and don't wear headphones. I'm happy to respect that as both a walker and biker.

a) Stick to the right

B) When walking/jogging two abreast, move over to allow a faster trail user to overtake you

c) Keep the volume on earphones low enough so that you can hear a cylist coming up behind you

d) If you hear the phrase "on your left", it means you are about to be passed on the left. It does not mean you should jump to your left, which usually puts you and a cyclist in a bad situation

e) Please, PLEASE do not walk your dog on a retractable leash. Cyclists usually can't see them until it is too late.

+100

I heartily concur with all these.. While biking the TC Jester trail, I've encountered many runners/walkers who would be good to abide by these. These should be posted.

With D, it amazes me that runners have to turn around to look at you and end up being in the middle or left lane when you're trying to pass.. Sometimes I may not even say anything an give them a wide berth and just go by them cautiously.. Usually they end up startled, but neither of us are laying on the ground..

And if there's a kid on a bike or walking.. I slow to a crawl.. I think kids purposefully jump in front of you when you're about to pass. :)

Starting on September 2, there's going to be some impromptu cyclocross races in the grassy area between White Oak Bayou and I-10 adjacent to the new bikepath, on Wednesday nights at 6:00. Allegedly work on the RR bridge crossing the bayou is supposed to be done in September. This is a very grassroots type event with the blessing of the proper authorities, come on down if you'd like to watch me suffer (and maybe try it yourself!)

Saw y'all yesterday driving home from work on i-10 at the Heights exit. Looked like a good turnout and a good time. . .

Good news! The missing piece of the trail is finally under construction!

I drove down Studewood this afternoon and as I was crossing the bridge over White Oak, I saw workers out on the old train testle. Workers... actually working, not inspecting, or surveying, but removing timbers and possibly even welding/cutting steel. If I can find my camera, I'll ride down and get some pictures in the morning.

It'll be nice to finally have this bridge complete, it's been a long time coming.

Mike

I drove down Studewood this afternoon and as I was crossing the bridge over White Oak, I saw workers out on the old train testle. Workers... actually working, not inspecting, or surveying, but removing timbers and possibly even welding/cutting steel. If I can find my camera, I'll ride down and get some pictures in the morning.

It'll be nice to finally have this bridge complete, it's been a long time coming.

Mike

Welcome to HAIF, and thanks for the good news. FINALLY!! I need this trail completed.

There's one more missing piece, under the freeways before it gets to UHD. That part seems like its going to be easy.

There's one more missing piece, under the freeways before it gets to UHD. That part seems like its going to be easy.

Actually the section under I-45 is complete, it's just that the bridge over there is kind of a bridge to nowhere, and ends in a long dropoff.

I still ride down there and just walk the bike down that 3ft drop, and then on to UH-D and out to the East End trails. It's a nice ~25 mile ride from the heights out to Lockwood @ Buffalo Bayou, if you ride all the trails out there. Its currently only possible on a mountain bike though, or maybe a cyclocross, due to the long gravel section before UH-D, and the strange patchwork of incomplete East End trails.

Riding down to UH-D also provides great acess to the Buffalo Bayou trails that end in Downtown. It makes a nice loop to ride the MKT trail to UH-D and then along the bayou to Sheperd and depending on how much distance you want, Waugh or Houston Ave. to get home.

I'm going to look for that camera now...

Mike

Actually the section under I-45 is complete, it's just that the bridge over there is kind of a bridge to nowhere, and ends in a long dropoff.

That's what I'm saying. The trail is supposed to terminate past UHD, and does not yet. The "bridge to nowhere" is a missing segment.

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking A made the most sense for a bike trail, but it sounds like B is the precedent, and that's good enough for me. B should work if bikers call out, and if walkers/joggers stick to the right and don't wear headphones. I'm happy to respect that as both a walker and biker.

Here's why - used to happen in college ALL the time. Riding a bike, if I know what the pedestrian or other biker is going to do, I can pass them accordingly. If I have no idea whether they are playing chicken, going to break to my left or worse, goig to break to my right (across my path) - things get ugly :)

If I simply come up on you from behind I know you are going to keep going straight and I can pass accordingly.

The Houston Heights Association newsletter seems to be suggesting the bike trail will be officially open by October 4:

General Meeting: Bicycling Weekend

The program for the September 14 General Meeting will be about the bicycling activities of “Heights Bicycling Weekend” on October 3 and 4.

Cheryl Hensley, City Social Planner, will discuss festivities planned to celebrate the opening of the Heights Bicycle Trail on Saturday, Oct. 3. Fred Zapalac, of Blue Line Bike Lab on White Oak, will discuss the Celebratory Party for bicyclists he is putting on Saturday evening, Oct. 3. Rally Chairman Paul Carr will discuss the Heights Bicycle Rally that will start and end at Marmion Park on Oct. 4. Heights Bicycle Weekend will end with the end-of-rally party in Marmion at 4:00 PM Sunday. The Heights Bicycle Rally will be the first event to utilize the new trail.

Or is that just wishful reading on my part?

That could still mean everything but that bridge. Just in the past 2 weeks they smoothed all the road/trail transitions, that plus putting the posts at intersections sort of constitutes finishing touches. It'll look done, you just can't ride the length of it yet.

I saw the workers out on the bridge Friday. They had built some railings, but I couldn't tell what they were doing. Is there any chance they're keeping the base structure and not tearing it down? That would be kind of cool, but I can't think they'll do that. They've already built 2 bridges basically the same, I figure this one will look similar.

I saw the workers out on the bridge Friday. They had built some railings, but I couldn't tell what they were doing. Is there any chance they're keeping the base structure and not tearing it down? That would be kind of cool, but I can't think they'll do that. They've already built 2 bridges basically the same, I figure this one will look similar.

I went down to look, and there was a crew out there. Couldn't see much from the trail, but it looked like they were (still) working on the railings. Don't know what the plan is, but seems like they could finish by October 4...

Has anyone heard any plans for the hill that the bike path crosses at the corner of I-10 and Studewood? I am assuming that is city land. Any hill in Houston is practically a natural landmark, and its overgrown state seems a little hazardous to the bike trail.

Ideally, I think the underbrush would be cleared out and perhaps a small park put in beside the trail. Most of the work could be done by Heights volunteers in a weekend.

a) Stick to the right

And what should people do with those 2-wide and 3-wide strollers I've seen on the Boulevard trail? I wish someone would think to make those things front-to-back (like in-line skate wheels) instead of side-by-side.

That could still mean everything but that bridge. Just in the past 2 weeks they smoothed all the road/trail transitions, that plus putting the posts at intersections sort of constitutes finishing touches. It'll look done, you just can't ride the length of it yet.

I saw the workers out on the bridge Friday. They had built some railings, but I couldn't tell what they were doing. Is there any chance they're keeping the base structure and not tearing it down? That would be kind of cool, but I can't think they'll do that. They've already built 2 bridges basically the same, I figure this one will look similar.but

Thanks for welcoming me here! I've been around for a while, I tend to lurk though.

I think they are building this bridge basically the same. Big concrete slab on top of part of the existing bridge. I wonder what they'll do on the SE end of the trestle where there was a big washout/failure of the bulkhead and pilings.

If my eyeballing of the map is correct, this bridge is included once it gets down by UHD.

dsc00849r.jpg

Nice pictures KJ, and I think you're right about the bridge being a part of the extension of the trail. Hell, I wish you could get across it now, it has a nice walkway on it. Hopefully that project will get some funding if hasn't already.

Interesting thing about that bridge... I stood at UH-D around 11 am on the Sunday after Ike hit and stared at that bridge for a long time, trying to figure out how the bayou was flowing over that bridge, but also taking a shorcut and going down Travis st., effectively making UH-D an island. It was surreal.

I took this after I walked down onto the Travis St. bridge.

3080373808_41cfd6919c.jpg

"Bike Route"!!

Maybe I'll see you gentlemen out on the trail. I'll be the guy who looks way too tired for as slow as I'm going.

Mike

Archived