Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

As for the bike path, just as its finished, be prepared for parts of it to be torn up when the build the I-10 access road. Which starts soon apparently...

I don't know of any plans for a feeder going in between Studemont and Taylor? They have only talked about putting one in around Yale. This shouldnt effect the new Hike and Bike.

On a side note, why didn't metro look at putting in a light rail along this old rail bed? Was there ever any talk around putting in a mass transit system along this route?

I know its a bit late but just curious.

I don't know of any plans for a feeder going in between Studemont and Taylor? They have only talked about putting one in around Yale. This shouldnt effect the new Hike and Bike.

Nope, its coming. Talking with the Bike Coordinator for the city, he said they will reconfigure the bike path to go under the new service road.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Feeder-Roads-coming-to-I-10-inside-the-loop-80673147.html

On a side note, why didn't metro look at putting in a light rail along this old rail bed? Was there ever any talk around putting in a mass transit system along this route?

I know its a bit late but just curious.

There was talk of using it for commuter rail, but not light rail.

Having it open all through the Heights is the most important piece in my opinion. It's not a transit route, it's just a trail. And with the Heights portion done I've already seen a good amount of traffic, which is great for the 'hood. When it goes downtown I be me and a few others will take advantage, but most people are looking for a short walk or to let their dog crap everything up.

Heh Heh. I saw that...right in the middle of the train trestle. The trail rocks, though. I rode to Target in about 3 or 4 minutes. In fact, I could ride to Freebirds, wolf down a big fat burrito, ride back home, and probably only gain a half pound. I'll definitely have to work the trail into my otherwise sedentary routine.

Is the feeder planned for the north or south side of I-10?

It's gotta be on the S side. CBS Outdoors demo'd part of their building and rebuilt further away from the freeway in preparation for that, I think. Plus they can tie into the existing off-ramp at Taylor.

The trail rocks, though. I rode to Target in about 3 or 4 minutes. In fact, I could ride to Freebirds, wolf down a big fat burrito, ride back home, and probably only gain a half pound.

Isn't that great? I rode over there the other evening and the trail goes RIGHT TO FREEBIRDS. And there are bike racks right there. Like I wasn't eating there too much already....

• 4 months later...

I e-mailed the bikeways coordinator to ask when this path might be completed to UH-D.

Kyle:

We should be pushing dirt this Fall, I hope for it to be completed by December 2011.

Dan Raine AICP LCI

City of Houston Bicyclist-Pedestrian Coordinator

Public Works & Engineering Department

Infrastructure and Environmental Planning

611 Walker, 19th Floor

713-837-0136 Office

713-837-0658 Fax

Good to know.

BTW... biking the Main St tunnel under the tracks up on the pedestrian mezzanine is scary S@$&

If you cut to the E before the tracks you can loop around and there's a track crossing not too far away (Maury). I've been doing that and then taking the bridge over Crockett and back to the trail

• 3 months later...

I finally had some time today to go past where the pavement ends across the bridge by I-10/45. The unpaved piece isn't too long, it's a nice workout to plow through and was dry even after this wet week. From the end of that, it wasn't far at all to the new St Arnold brewery, which is what I was after. I hadn't yet seen exactly where it was. I love the area, reminds me of where my grandfather's business was in Baton Rouge (N Choctaw if any of you are familiar).

• 2 weeks later...

Cool.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/heights/news/7193564.html

Whatever else a new home development may bring to the Cottage Grove subdivision, the deal includes building a hike-and-bike trail along a railroad spur.

Residents who have lobbied to extend an existing trail from Shepherd to Hempstead, say they're delighted at the promise of a new hike-and-bike path, although its length is undetermined.

I finally had some time today to go past where the pavement ends across the bridge by I-10/45. The unpaved piece isn't too long, it's a nice workout to plow through and was dry even after this wet week. From the end of that, it wasn't far at all to the new St Arnold brewery, which is what I was after. I hadn't yet seen exactly where it was. I love the area, reminds me of where my grandfather's business was in Baton Rouge (N Choctaw if any of you are familiar).

I noticed driving by this area yesterday that it looks as though they have staked and plotted the area and are getting ready to do some work there. Did you see anything like that?

It looked as though they had leveled some of the area.

I noticed driving by this area yesterday that it looks as though they have staked and plotted the area and are getting ready to do some work there. Did you see anything like that?

It looked as though they had leveled some of the area.

No I didn't see any stakes out, just a rocky path with some grass overgrown. Hopefully this means progress! It's not like they'll have trouble getting to the area, so it should progress quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode my bike down the north side of White Oak Bayou on Sunday around Houston Ave. and there is a lot of evidence of work going on, fences around trees, silt barriers, etc. The most encouraging thing was what looked like the beginnings of a bridge over that bayou inlet right below where Quitman is washing out. It made me wonder though if they are proceeding with the bike trail independently to finding a solution to the erosion going on?

I rode my bike down the north side of White Oak Bayou on Sunday around Houston Ave. and there is a lot of evidence of work going on, fences around trees, silt barriers, etc. The most encouraging thing was what looked like the beginnings of a bridge over that bayou inlet right below where Quitman is washing out. It made me wonder though if they are proceeding with the bike trail independently to finding a solution to the erosion going on?

Did you see me lying on the ground on the White Oak Bayou trail near a trail drinking fountain? Sunday around 6:30 pm I had a head on crash with another cyclist there. I broke several ribs and I can barely move around.

The oncomming bike rider had on those stupid foot clamps, he lost his balance, couldn't get his feet off the pedals and steered directly into me. For safety's sake use regular bike pedals so you can use your feet when you need to!

Did you see me lying on the ground on the White Oak Bayou trail near a trail drinking fountain? Sunday around 6:30 pm I had a head on crash with another cyclist there. I broke several ribs and I can barely move around.

The oncomming bike rider had on those stupid foot clamps, he lost his balance, couldn't get his feet off the pedals and steered directly into me. For safety's sake use regular bike pedals so you can use your feet when you need to!

Maybe you should wear a HAIF shirt, you can update him on how much of an idiot it was.

Additionally, wearing a HAIF shirt at a critical mass event might give the system a bit of boost. :)

Sorry to hear about the collision, Outfield Dan. I hope you feel better soon (though I know broken ribs are a nightmare)

Remember, it's not the bike (or clips) it's the rider. He should have known how to unclip before he ventured into traffic.

And yet, he probably figured it was safer to learn how to use the clips on the bike path. Multi-use paths are the WORST - no one biking at speed should use them during crowded times unless they know what they're doing.

(for the record, my own moment of embarrassment when learning to use my new pedals came when I couldn't unclip fast enough at the Heights Blvd/White Oak intersection. The car drivers got a nice show, but at least I didn't hit anyone!)

hows the other guy?

He seemed ok. He got up and got back on his bike., but his bike was damaged by the right brake/shifter breaking off. My bike was ok, just a misaligned handlebar and a derailed chain. Maybe he didn't hurt himself because he wasn't moving very fast, just wobbling in the center of the trail until he lunged into my path. He basically just fell over, and I flew off my bike and hit hard.

He seemed ok. He got up and got back on his bike., but his bike was damaged by the right brake/shifter breaking off. My bike was ok, just a misaligned handlebar and a derailed chain. Maybe he didn't hurt himself because he wasn't moving very fast, just wobbling in the center of the trail until he lunged into my path. He basically just fell over, and I flew off my bike and hit hard.

FWIW, I went to the hospital Tuesday afternoon because of the pain. Xrays discovered one broken rib and a partially collapsed lung. There's a puddle of blood inside my lung cavity. :(

Be careful riding your bike when encountering other traffic! I wasn't going fast, maybe 12 mph.

• 1 month later...

i took this trail from the Heights to downtown for the first time in a while. it looks like they've made some progress on the unfinished portion close to UHD, saw some wooden framework and rebar down for a small section but no concrete. i can't remember the last time i was there... has there been recent progress?

FWIW, I went to the hospital Tuesday afternoon because of the pain. Xrays discovered one broken rib and a partially collapsed lung. There's a puddle of blood inside my lung cavity. :(

Be careful riding your bike when encountering other traffic! I wasn't going fast, maybe 12 mph.

That sucks man, Did this guy stop to help out? Did you get his information? It may have been an accident, but I hope this guy is paying your medical bills.