Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

I know they are doing it now, but I wonder if they intend to put curbs on it or anything else to put a stop to this? just seems like a bad idea to me...unless you own one of the houses that are affected, in which case your probably livid about it anyways.

everytime i back out of my driveway i cross a sidewalk and i make every attempt to look both ways. very commonplace.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
everytime i back out of my driveway i cross a sidewalk and i make every attempt to look both ways. very commonplace.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too - that the homeowners will just be expected to be careful.

I was wondering, though, what might happen if people started parking in their driveways and blocking the path...

Yeah, I was thinking that, too - that the homeowners will just be expected to be careful.

I was wondering, though, what might happen if people started parking in their driveways and blocking the path...

tickets if ordinances are enforced, esp on a designated walking trail. i think the ones on the east side have no motorized vehicle signs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge over White Oak was on fire again last night..

Seriously.. Can't those hobos find something else to burn to keep warm..?

Is this bridge going to be replaced for the trail? Something more.. "Fire-proof?"

dang, i live in the Alexan, on the bayou side, and i didnt' even know the bridge was on fire (you can see if from just outside my apartment).

I believe they will have to build an all new bridge, that thing is in rough shape.

I'm a bum and never took any pics of the progress (sorry guys), but it seems like the concrete is donefor quite a ways down from Oxford. Does anyone know if they care if you ride your bikes on the parts that are done already? I might try to ride as much of the trail as possible friday.

Does anyone know of plans for lighting and etc. on the trail?

dang, i live in the Alexan, on the bayou side, and i didnt' even know the bridge was on fire (you can see if from just outside my apartment).

I believe they will have to build an all new bridge, that thing is in rough shape.

I'm a bum and never took any pics of the progress (sorry guys), but it seems like the concrete is donefor quite a ways down from Oxford. Does anyone know if they care if you ride your bikes on the parts that are done already? I might try to ride as much of the trail as possible friday.

Does anyone know of plans for lighting and etc. on the trail?

At the "groundbreaking" on Saturday they asked that people not use the trail until it is finished in all parts. I'm sure for liability reasons, etc.

• 1 month later...

Rode the bike down to the bridge yesterday, they have plowed some paths for trucks to be able to go down to the bayou, on both sides, but I didn't see anything started as far as a new bridge or clearing the old one goes.

Anyone know if they have a drawing or rendering of a bridge?

we rode through there yesterday. parking should be a very interesting prospect when completed. there were homeowners already using portions as part of their driveway blocking 2 or 3 ft of the trail. $$ from tickets!

No kidding. I've noticed the 'bike lane' on Washington Avenue east of Studemont is always obstructed by cars parking on the side. I think its rather ironic that the cafe named Broken Spoke has a big sign out front that encourages parking on the street (and hence blocking the bike lane).

In other cities where biking is more accepted and taken seriously, any blockage of a designated bike path is subject to a large fine. I wonder if Houston will enforce anything like this? They can start with Washington Ave which is constant with offenders.

In other cities where biking is more accepted and taken seriously, any blockage of a designated bike path is subject to a large fine. I wonder if Houston will enforce anything like this? They can start with Washington Ave which is constant with offenders.

if the hood starts complaining perhaps, but then they'll start parking in the surrounding hoods which will probably cause more of an uproar.

I saw that sign at the Broken Spoke, encouraging people to park on the bikeway - pretty funny.

Something else funny? Check out this "Houston Bike Safety Booklet" map - It has Houston bikeways marked in green, blue, pink, and yellow - representing (according to the key):

Green - "Multi-Use Trail"

Blue - "Bike Lane"

Pink - "Signed Route/Shared Lane"

Yellow - "Shared Lane"

There are also big four big colored boxes - green, blue, pink, and yellow - noting safety regulations for (respectively) "bike routes", "shared lanes", "bike trails", and "bike lanes". These boxes (unlike the key) are in both English and Spanish, and are far more prominent than the map key. But they also conflict with the key. The blue box talks about "shared lanes", which are actually pink and yellow on the map. The yellow box talks about bike lanes, which are marked in blue on the map. The green box talks about bike routes, which I think are marked in pink on the map - maybe yellow, too. And the pink box talks about bike trails, which are marked in green on the map.

So, not the best "safety booklet", especially for those relying on the Spanish.

Anyhow, Washington east of Yale is marked with a blue line. Which the key says means Bike Lane. Which the yellow box describes as: "A bicycle-only lane on the right - striped, signed and marked. No cars should park here."

Washington east of Yale is also marked blue on this Bikeways Network Map, which the map's key says means it's a Bike Lane. The map describes a Bike Lane as: "A designated, striped bicycle lane with special pavement markings and signs along the road. They are generally found to the right of a traffic lane and can be used only by bicycles. There is no parking on this lane unless otherwise indicated." (Compare "Bike Routes", also to the right of traffic lanes, but which allow parking on them.)

I think there is signage allowing street parking on most or all of Washington between Studemont and Houston. You'd think they'd just mark it on the map as a "Bike Route", but I guess the city prefers to claim it as a Bike Lane.

Parking cars on the Heights Bike Trail

The Heights Bike Trail is marked as a "proposed Multi-Use Trail" on both maps. Multi-Use Trails are not defined, but the description of "Bike Trails" on the second map suggests that Multi-Use Trails are likely governed by the same rules as Bike Trails. Both maps say that Bike Trails are usually shared with runners and walkers. Neither makes parking restrictions clear. I looked quickly at the traffic ordinances, but didn't see any that specifically related to parking cars on Multi-Use Trails or Bike Trails. Which isn't to say they aren't there - I just didn't see them.

But I think you could argue with regard to the portion of the trail on Nicholson that the trail there fits within the definition of "street" - i.e., "the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular traffic." (Bikes count as vehicles.) I think you could then argue that section 26-84 applies: "No person shall park any vehicle upon a street or alley in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available less than ten feet of the width of the roadway for free movement of vehicular traffic." ("Roadway" means any given individual roadway on a street, not all of them taken collectively.)

You might also be able to argue that the bike trail is covered by section 26-91: "It shall be unlawful for any person to park, or leave unattended, or drive a vehicle into or upon any property owned and controlled by the city and restricted to use by authorized persons and vehicles only, without first obtaining permission in writing to do so from the proper city officer, agent or employee, authorized by the city council to give such permission." But that section requires conspicuous signage at all vehicular entrances.

Maybe others can come up with something better? Or maybe there's standard block-by-block signage that will go up for the bike trail once it's complete?

the signage on the other trails i've ridden will be put out after the trail is completed. i'm remembering something similar to "no motorized vehicles", etc.

some of those nicholson townhomes have one space in front and were lucky to be able to use that area where the trail is now being built. they wont have that option anymore. some of the smaller, older homes across the street were considering that area part of their driveway which will no longer be an option.

Good. I hope the signage clearly prohibits parking even where streets and driveways intersect with the trail.

Yesterday, we checked out the concrete poured south of White Oak and the dirt flattened north of White Oak - good to see progress. I'm still wondering if they'll be able to preserve the White Oak Bayou MKT trellis/bridge. And what kind of signage they'll put up where the bike trail crosses a street.

The City website describes it as a 'Hike and Bike Trail'. I seriously doubt the City intends for residents to use its hike and bike ROW as their own personal parking lot. There will certainly be an adjustment period for the residents along the route, but in time it probably won't be a problem.

And, to the poster who asked about lighting, the answer is yes.

http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/bikew...ailtotrails.htm

I rode the trail from 26th down to Yale yesterday. I noticed that between around Waverly on the West and Yale on the east that they've graded the railroad bed and also a separate path across the ditch to the North. Are they planning on extending 7th street west from Yale?

Does anyone think they have plans to restructure the stop signs down Nicholson? That would be great, it's a pain stopping every block. Right now I think there might be 1 or 2 intersections without a stop sign on Nicholson as you head from 26th to 7th.

Does anyone think they have plans to restructure the stop signs down Nicholson? That would be great, it's a pain stopping every block. Right now I think there might be 1 or 2 intersections without a stop sign on Nicholson as you head from 26th to 7th.

I agree - too many stops along there. However, I see too many cars blow through stops to feel comfortable that making Nicholson the primary street at intersections is a good idea. They do need to put some very clear street markings down, though so people stop aside the bike path, not in it's crossing.

Also, Nicholson @ W 11th and Yale @ 7th are going to be a challenge - two lanes each way with traffic running at a furious pace. However, we're a City that can resolve the most absurd traffic dangers.

HousLightRail.jpg

Really! :rolleyes:

I rode the trail from 26th down to Yale yesterday. I noticed that between around Waverly on the West and Yale on the east that they've graded the railroad bed and also a separate path across the ditch to the North. Are they planning on extending 7th street west from Yale?

From the City's website...

The trail runs from 26th Street to 7th Street, and from Shepherd along 7th Street, to Spring Street and White Oak Bayou under I-45, where it connects to the Heritage Corridor West Trail

I saw that sign at the Broken Spoke, encouraging people to park on the bikeway - pretty funny.

Yes, I saw the sign as well while I was riding in that bike lane. It made me want to throw a rock through their window. I guess that's why they call themselves the Broken Spoke.

Something else funny? Check out this "Houston Bike Safety Booklet" map - It has Houston bikeways marked in green, blue, pink, and yellow - representing (according to the key):

Green - "Multi-Use Trail"

Blue - "Bike Lane"

Pink - "Signed Route/Shared Lane"

Yellow - "Shared Lane"

There are also big four big colored boxes - green, blue, pink, and yellow - noting safety regulations for (respectively) "bike routes", "shared lanes", "bike trails", and "bike lanes". These boxes (unlike the key) are in both English and Spanish, and are far more prominent than the map key. But they also conflict with the key. The blue box talks about "shared lanes", which are actually pink and yellow on the map. The yellow box talks about bike lanes, which are marked in blue on the map. The green box talks about bike routes, which I think are marked in pink on the map - maybe yellow, too. And the pink box talks about bike trails, which are marked in green on the map.

So, not the best "safety booklet", especially for those relying on the Spanish.

Anyhow, Washington east of Yale is marked with a blue line. Which the key says means Bike Lane. Which the yellow box describes as: "A bicycle-only lane on the right - striped, signed and marked. No cars should park here."

Washington east of Yale is also marked blue on this Bikeways Network Map, which the map's key says means it's a Bike Lane. The map describes a Bike Lane as: "A designated, striped bicycle lane with special pavement markings and signs along the road. They are generally found to the right of a traffic lane and can be used only by bicycles. There is no parking on this lane unless otherwise indicated." (Compare "Bike Routes", also to the right of traffic lanes, but which allow parking on them.)

I think there is signage allowing street parking on most or all of Washington between Studemont and Houston. You'd think they'd just mark it on the map as a "Bike Route", but I guess the city prefers to claim it as a Bike Lane.

Parking cars on the Heights Bike Trail

The Heights Bike Trail is marked as a "proposed Multi-Use Trail" on both maps. Multi-Use Trails are not defined, but the description of "Bike Trails" on the second map suggests that Multi-Use Trails are likely governed by the same rules as Bike Trails. Both maps say that Bike Trails are usually shared with runners and walkers. Neither makes parking restrictions clear. I looked quickly at the traffic ordinances, but didn't see any that specifically related to parking cars on Multi-Use Trails or Bike Trails. Which isn't to say they aren't there - I just didn't see them.

But I think you could argue with regard to the portion of the trail on Nicholson that the trail there fits within the definition of "street" - i.e., "the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular traffic." (Bikes count as vehicles.) I think you could then argue that section 26-84 applies: "No person shall park any vehicle upon a street or alley in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available less than ten feet of the width of the roadway for free movement of vehicular traffic." ("Roadway" means any given individual roadway on a street, not all of them taken collectively.)

You might also be able to argue that the bike trail is covered by section 26-91: "It shall be unlawful for any person to park, or leave unattended, or drive a vehicle into or upon any property owned and controlled by the city and restricted to use by authorized persons and vehicles only, without first obtaining permission in writing to do so from the proper city officer, agent or employee, authorized by the city council to give such permission." But that section requires conspicuous signage at all vehicular entrances.

Maybe others can come up with something better? Or maybe there's standard block-by-block signage that will go up for the bike trail once it's complete?

Somewhere on the Bikeways site there is a FAQ. One of the questions is something like "Can I park in a bike lane?" The answer was...Yes.

Now on the off-street parts they usually put a big post in and a sign that says no motorized vehicles, but the lane portions are left to fend for themselves, and parking in the bike lanes is allowed.

It SUCKS.

Here:

Can I park my car on the bike lane?

Maybe. Bike lanes are designated bicycle paths. Parking on bike lanes means that bicyclists must merge onto the traffic lane to pass the parked vehicle. In some areas parking is permitted as posted. Look for parking restriction signs.

http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/bikeways/faq.htm

Yeah, I saw that FAQ language first, and then saw the maps when looking for clarification on whether Washington east of Studemont was considered a "bike line" or something different. It's pretty clearly been designated on maps to be a "bike lane" (as opposed to, e.g., a "bike route").

Having spent some time reading through what's available, the only support I found for an argument that cars can't park on the bikeway on Washington was the poorly-designed "bike safety" map that, in its (yellow) description of (blue) "Bike Lanes" said: "No cars should park here." The more detailed description of "Bike Lanes" on the other map, and in the faq, suggested that the general no-parking rule can be altered with signage. And I think there are signs all along that stretch of Washington - I know of a few businesses along there that are very protective of their street parking because of their limited off-street parking.

So, I get that parking is allowed on "bike lanes" via signage. But if parking is allowed on an entire stretch of bikeway, why call it a "bike lane" (parking is generally not allowed on bike lanes unless signs say otherwise) instead of a "bike route" (parking is allowed on bike routes)? It's not a big issue, just another way in which I found the bike maps misleading.

As for Broken Spoke - I bet the irony just never occurred to them. I'd still like to try one of their burgers sometime.

Oh, and trying to get back on the Heights Trail topic - I think all the questions above regarding how intersections of the bike trail and streets will be handled are good ones. I wonder if the city has made these decisions yet, or is still considering what to do.

Notice how the language says to look for parking restriction signs, rather than parking authorization signs. It leads me to believe that they are saying that parking is, in fact, allowed in bike lanes by default, unless specifically prohibited by a sign.

Notice how the language says to look for parking restriction signs, rather than parking authorization signs. It leads me to believe that they are saying that parking is, in fact, allowed in bike lanes by default, unless specifically prohibited by a sign.

I am quite sure it is, due to the fact that parking is allowed by default on ALL city streets unless restricted by sign or meter. It would be impossible to enforce otherwise.

I am quite sure it is, due to the fact that parking is allowed by default on ALL city streets unless restricted by sign or meter. It would be impossible to enforce otherwise.

Seems reasonable enough, but then the problem becomes that its never prohibited. Having ridden most of the bike lanes in Houston, there are very few places where parking is prohibited in the bike lane, deducting out things like fire hydrants and driveways.

• 1 month later...
Guest mattwebster77

Some neighbors have noticed cars driving down the Nicholson bike trail.

Does anyone know if the trail plan calls for placing barricades to prevent that from happening?

Some neighbors have noticed cars driving down the Nicholson bike trail.

Does anyone know if the trail plan calls for placing barricades to prevent that from happening?

the ones on the east side do have those collapsible poles and i believe the no motor vehicle signs are also posted.

Archived