Nicholson Hike And Bike Trail On W. 26th St.

I'm sorry if my use of "yuppie" offends you. I myself am 1/2 of a yuppie sub-group called DINK.

This topic was extensively discussed last summer after an article regarding the trail was in the Chron:

Bike Trail

If memory serves, there were some comments in the paper from people who lived on Nicholson who opposed this. They were quoted as saying there would be a danger of bike riders being run over while they backed up out of their driveway. The astute chronicle writer neglected to ask them why they built a driveway over someone else's ROW instead of on Herkimer where they belong, but that's another story. Another comment was regarding the beautiful trees that would be cut down. Once again the astute chron writer neglected to ask what type of tree, of which the answer would be chinese tallow, which are nothing more than very large weeds.

So yes, I am still a little angry over the delay. Construction should have already started.

HeightsGuy - I just don't understand why a label like "yuppie" or "DINK" needs to be used at all. We are all residents of the Heights. I'm pretty sure we all want the same thing - a safe, well constructed, nice looking trail. If someone on a Trek is run over by a Lexus SUV backing out of his or her driveway...it probably won't be good for anybody....:-)

I can understand your frustration...as a mountain biker, I can't wait for the trail to be built. It'll be great to hit the trails from right across the street!. Just stating that the *new residents* of the heights aren't always the bad guys. Not everything is black and white.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big concern here might be, "On what date does any offer of federal or other type of government funding expire?" Is there a danger that all of these delays will cause our funding to go away or be used for another project? It's not uncommon for opponents of projects like this to force delay upon delay until the money offer expires.

• 3 months later...
The following response was received from the City of Houston's "Bicycle-Pedestrian Coordinator":

"We don't know where it will begin yet. The contractor will tell us that when they're onboard with TxDOT and have had a chance to review the project. The projected letting for construction is currently April 2007. This date will be fine-tuned once the design is finalized by TxDOT in Houston and Austin. We are addressing what I believe is no final comments. We can then start the timeline to construction letting".

It looks like the promised start date of March 2006 is slipping at least a year.

Adrian Garcia is our city councilman. Please contact his office to let him know the importance of this trail to our neighborhood. Let's get it started!

Update on the Nicholson Street hike and bike trail from the City:

We are addressing the last questions. The final package will be delivered this month. We can count 5 months from that to estimate a construction letting date. This means a contractor will be on board at that time and be able to let us know when they can begin and end. I hope we can move up the timeline.

Lilibeth Andre

Bicycle - Pedestrian Coordinator

City of Houston Bikeway Program

(713) 837-0003

lilibeth.andre@cityofhouston.net

www.houstonbikeways.org

lwood - thanks for the update. As a Nicholson resident, I am SO READY for this thing to get started!

Have you noticed a decrease in the trash dumping along Nicholson recently? I've found that a good way to speed up dumped trash pickup is to aquire email addresses of several people in neighborhood protection and email them pictures of trash dumps and copy Councilman Garcia. Hopefully the trail will put an end to it...but until then... <_<

• 6 months later...
Update on the Nicholson Street hike and bike trail from the City:

We are addressing the last questions. The final package will be delivered this month. We can count 5 months from that to estimate a construction letting date. This means a contractor will be on board at that time and be able to let us know when they can begin and end. I hope we can move up the timeline.

Lilibeth Andre

(713) 837-0003

www.houstonbikeways.org

January 5, 2007 update

This email was received from the City today:

A question regarding a parcel has come up and final project review will not continue until that question has been cleared. The letting date will likely be pushed down but I will not know dates until we have a progress report on the research, IF it would be resolved today we would be looking at May. Keep in mind that this is a large project and that it encompasses a stretch beyond Nicholson as well.

Lilibeth Andre

(713) 837-0003

www.houstonbikeways.org

The Houston Bikeway Program is a program under the Neighborhood Programs Engineering Section of the Engineering Branch in the Engineering and Construction Division of the Public Works and Engineering Department for the City of Houston.

• 2 months later...

I actually had questioned the city on this yesterday along with a couple of other items...

My email:

"Hi there-

I have a couple of questions about Stude/White Oak Park in my neighborhood.

I was roller blading on the bike path for the first time (I'm a new resident) and darn near killed myself as the paved path is overgrown with grass in many spots, is broken up in others, and in some areas is completely non-existant. My two questions are this:

What is the status of the Heights Rails-to-Trails path?

And once that is started, will there possibly be work done on the Stude Park bike paths that would make them safer to skate or jog on?

Actually, I just thought of a 3rd question. While I was skating the path I saw there was some serious dumping of garbage in the trees and brush that probably happened years ago. Its really ugly and nasty. Any chance of getting this picked up?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jeff"

Their response:

Jeff, Here's the scoop: the trash was probably the result of flooding, and a general cleanup is scheduled in the not-too-distant future which will include that. Of course, every time the water rises it will collect again. The unfortunate fact is that trash on the streets washes into the storm drains and ends up in the bayous every time there is a heavy rain. The city keeps the streets relatively clean, but litter and other trash gets tossed daily and thus the problem stays ahead of the cleanup. The superintendent of Special Projects for the Management and Development Division is out looking at the paths in Stude Park this morning. Hopefully, there will be a plan up and running soon to repair them. I'll let you know what comes from that. Lilibeth Andre, the Bicycle-Pedestrian Coordinator for the City of Houston Bikeway Program, reports that design work for the Heights Rails to Trails project has been completed, and work is waiting on right of way clarification for some TxDOT parcels. Construction should be able to commence in the latter part of the year. The Heritage West Trail along Stude Park and the north bank of White Oak Bayou will extend to UHD and connect at Stude Park with the MKT/SP, which will also enter construction this fall. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Keep roller blading! Don WhitakerMedia Representative, Houston Parks and Recreation Department

I actually had questioned the city on this yesterday along with a couple of other items...

My email:

"Hi there-

I have a couple of questions about Stude/White Oak Park in my neighborhood.

I was roller blading on the bike path for the first time (I'm a new resident) and darn near killed myself as the paved path is overgrown with grass in many spots, is broken up in others, and in some areas is completely non-existant. My two questions are this:

What is the status of the Heights Rails-to-Trails path?

And once that is started, will there possibly be work done on the Stude Park bike paths that would make them safer to skate or jog on?

Actually, I just thought of a 3rd question. While I was skating the path I saw there was some serious dumping of garbage in the trees and brush that probably happened years ago. Its really ugly and nasty. Any chance of getting this picked up?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jeff"

Their response:

Jeff, Here's the scoop: the trash was probably the result of flooding, and a general cleanup is scheduled in the not-too-distant future which will include that. Of course, every time the water rises it will collect again. The unfortunate fact is that trash on the streets washes into the storm drains and ends up in the bayous every time there is a heavy rain. The city keeps the streets relatively clean, but litter and other trash gets tossed daily and thus the problem stays ahead of the cleanup. The superintendent of Special Projects for the Management and Development Division is out looking at the paths in Stude Park this morning. Hopefully, there will be a plan up and running soon to repair them. I'll let you know what comes from that. Lilibeth Andre, the Bicycle-Pedestrian Coordinator for the City of Houston Bikeway Program, reports that design work for the Heights Rails to Trails project has been completed, and work is waiting on right of way clarification for some TxDOT parcels. Construction should be able to commence in the latter part of the year. The Heritage West Trail along Stude Park and the north bank of White Oak Bayou will extend to UHD and connect at Stude Park with the MKT/SP, which will also enter construction this fall. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Keep roller blading! Don WhitakerMedia Representative, Houston Parks and Recreation Department

[/quote

I recently worked with John in Councilman Garcia's office to get more information on the status of the Nicholson Street trail. Even the councilman's office had no luck on getting details from Lilibeth. Please join me in contacting Councilman Garcia's office and Lilibeth's office to make sure this is moving forward.

Thanks.

http://adriangarcia.com/index-1.html

• 4 weeks later...

I have contacted both Garcia and Andre, and I think I will continue to do so every month or so. I recall that this has been in the works for some time and has been subject to many delays. I regard this as a high priority item for the Heights, and I think it is time to create some friendly pressure/momentum.

Open to any ideas - perhaps an article in the Chronicle or a guest posting on some Houston blogs (Houston's Clear Thinkers, Houston Strategies, Metroblogging Houston, Houstonist, etc.). Anything to increase the visibility of the issue.

Update from Lilibeth Andre below -- it appears that "late 2007" could be spring of 2008. We are approaching a 10 year delay on a hike and bike trail.

The construction phase can begin as early as this fall or spring of 2008. We are on our final design checklist and hope to proceed to final approvals in Houston and in Austin soon.

Lilibeth Andre

(713) 837-0003

www.houstonbikeways.org

Update from Lilibeth Andre below -- it appears that "late 2007" could be spring of 2008. We are approaching a 10 year delay on a hike and bike trail.

The construction phase can begin as early as this fall or spring of 2008. We are on our final design checklist and hope to proceed to final approvals in Houston and in Austin soon.

Lilibeth Andre

(713) 837-0003

www.houstonbikeways.org

So I guess they're not real interested in getting this going then, hm?

edit: I'll be biking Saturday.. BEWARE!

I have made copies of the article in the Chronicle to place in my neighbor's mailboxes south of 11th. I contacted Councilman Garcia's office twice this year but they have not been able to give me any information.

Please join me in contacting Councilman Garcia's office this week.

Thanks,

Lwood

I have made copies of the article in the Chronicle to place in my neighbor's mailboxes south of 11th. I contacted Councilman Garcia's office twice this year but they have not been able to give me any information.

Please join me in contacting Councilman Garcia's office this week.

Thanks,

Lwood

Excellent idea. I will do the same thing for houses north of 11th up to 19th. Although I hope the folks in the 1800-1900 block don't come after me with pitchforks and axes! Just kidding, guys. You are right in your concerns that it does come very close to your driveways. I wonder - Did their builders ever tell them that the city easement for the Hike and Bike Trail was so close?

Wholy Carp! Aug 4 1999?!

8 years later and this thing is still being pushed back to 2008.

If the city already owns the right of way, how expensive can it be to pave a 10' wide path?

Any way to do donations ala the Timbergrove/11th st park? Useless politicians don't seem to be doing anything.

Wholy Carp! Aug 4 1999?!

8 years later and this thing is still being pushed back to 2008.

happens quite frequently and for longer periods. i know the monroe expansion from almeda genoa to fuqua has been in the books for more than 10 yrs but the funding keeps being taken away. this yr it is supposed to happen!

Email sent to Ms. Andre.

Another link, for those interested...

http://blogs.chron.com/heights/2007/05/hik...urday.html#more

This email was sent over the weekend to those who attended the gathering Saturday morning. PLEASE contact Councilman Garcia's office,

Heights Proposed Hike & Bike Trail.

What now?

Next steps to help make it happen.

Yesterday, Saturday May 5, Heights residents, friends, and cyclists came out to make their feelings known on the 8-year-long on-hold status of the Hike & Bike MKT Trail. We had probably 100 people, many who asked what the delays have been and what else we can do to help this long-delayed trail become a reality.

The Mayor

article

looks like the 3rd ward/macgregor area will be getting theirs first!

About 60 bike riders and Houston Bikeway Project officials celebrated the groundbreaking last week on another city bike-and-hike trail to be built on a former freight-rail track.

The 3-mile-long, 10-foot-wide Columbia Tap trail, named for an early rail line into Houston, will run from Dixie Drive near Texas 288 to Polk Street downtown.

Along the way, it will pass through Texas Southern University and connect with trails leading to Hermann Park, the Texas Medical Center and Minute Maid Park.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the trail from Lilibeth Andre, Houston Bikeways coordinator:

"we provided the last of our info and it went to Austin. Once TxDOT concurs, they will begin review of the final MKT design. We are likely still looking at a spring construction phase. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise. Feel free to email and inquire anytime."

Although this report sounds promising, keep in mind that this project has consistently been delayed for almost 10 years. Thus, we need to stay active.

I would encourage you all to contact our state representative, Jessica Farrar, and Adrian Garcia, our city councilman, on a routine basis (every couple of weeks or so) to politely inquire as the status of the trail and to encourage them to keep friendly pressure on TxDot to keep things moving. You cannot underestimate the value of constructive community involvement.

Here are some links -- emails are good, and telephone calls are even better:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/dist148/farrar.htm

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/h/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
This email was sent over the weekend to those who attended the gathering Saturday morning. PLEASE contact Councilman Garcia's office,

Heights Proposed Hike & Bike Trail.

What now?

Next steps to help make it happen.

Yesterday, Saturday May 5, Heights residents, friends, and cyclists came out to make their feelings known on the 8-year-long on-hold status of the Hike & Bike MKT Trail. We had probably 100 people, many who asked what the delays have been and what else we can do to help this long-delayed trail become a reality.

The Mayor

• 2 weeks later...
Karen recently sent this update to those people who attended the hike and bike trail meeting on May 5:

TxDOT Austin is happy and considers the MKT ROW property matter resolved. The "new" updated project contract letting date is between 12/07 and 1/08. Construction should then get underway 7/08. The city says it should have eight trail projects ready for TxDOT to build within the next year. We'll see what happens. The city and TxDOT have never had that many trail projects going at the same time before.

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM COUNCILMAN GARCIA'S OFFICE TODAY:

"I appreciate your inquiry about the Hike and Bike Trail .... please be advised that the project is slated for construction in the late fall of this year. I have been in contact with the local state officials also, and encourage you to do the same .... in an order to keep up to date.

If you would like for someone from the City to speak to your group about the plans, let me know -- date, time, location .... etc.etc. I hope this information is helpful to you and your neighbors, and if there's anything else I can do, let me know!

Take Care,

Jason J. Cisneroz

Council Aide, District - H

Office of Council Member Adrian Garcia

(713) 247.1638 - Direct Line

(713) 449.2364 - Cellular Phone

(713) 247.1252 - Fax"

MANY THANKS TO JASON AND COUNCILMAN GARCIA'S OFFICE FOR KEEPING US INFORMED. PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONTACT THE CITY AND STATE OFFICIALS TO MAKE SURE THIS MOVES FORWARD.

More news on the trail from Jessica Farrar's office:

"Our office finally met with TxDOT today, and we have information on the construction delays for the long awaited Heights Bike Trail.

The current hold up is a state requirement of asbestos inspections on a few bridges that this project would involve. The good news is that the inspections are expected to be completed soon. If the bridges are clean, which TxDOT believes they are, the project will go to contract. If they are not found to be clean, they will require a cleanup process that will delay the project further. When dealing with asbestos, its much better to be safe than sorry. TxDOT seemed fairly confident that construction would begin in January 2008 if these bridges are found to be clean of asbestos.

TxDOT will be keeping me in the loop on the results of the testing, as well as the other phases of the project. Rest assured, I will pass on all of the information to y'all.

Have a great 4th holiday!"

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this in the Houston Business Journal -- I hope it does not affect any federal grants for this trail:

TxDOT losing $72M in federal funds

Houston Business Journal - 11:47 AM CDT Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Texas Department of Transportation said Thursday that $72 million in federal aid for highways funding has been rescinded. For Texas, that means TxDOT and local communities will have that much less funding to use for such projects as interstate maintenance, bridges, congestion reduction and air quality improvement programs.

The Federal Highway Administration is rescinding a total of more than $871 million in federal aid highway funds from states. Texas is second only to California in the amount of funds being rescinded. California is losing about $79.2 million.

In its notice, the Federal Highway Administration said the funds were being rescinded as required by the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007.

TxDOT says it has until July 19 to figure out which of its funding categories will absorb the reduction.

• 1 month later...

A tour of the porposed trail form south to north. This goes as far as Harvard. I'll post more soon.

The section from Sawyer Heights to Nicholson is what Metro is interested in acquiring for CRT.

Sawyer Hts Village

MKT3.jpg

Under the Katy Fwy

MKT4.jpg

Across Studemont

MKT5.jpg

Trestle across White Oak Bayou

MKT6.jpg

At White Oak

MKT9.jpg

MKT9a.jpg

At Arlington

MKT10.jpg

Btwn Arlington and Cortlandt

MKT14.jpg

NW toward Cortlandt

MKT15A.jpg

Side of House on Harvard

MKT16a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any update on Metro's proposal to buy this right-of-way for commuter rail? My recollection was that Metro tabled the idea when it learned that the City of Houston held the right-of-way and was planning a hike and bike trail. However, the article in the Chronicle was a little fuzzy on whether Metro would pick this back up.

Does anyone know of any update on Metro's proposal to buy this right-of-way for commuter rail? My recollection was that Metro tabled the idea when it learned that the City of Houston held the right-of-way and was planning a hike and bike trail. However, the article in the Chronicle was a little fuzzy on whether Metro would pick this back up.

Counciman Adrian Garcia's office is still talking about this as if the bike trail is still moving forward. Please call or email Councilman Garcia's office to let them know we are trying to keep this alive.

Archived