1115 E 11th St

IntheKnowHouston

1115 East 11th St is in the Norhill neighborhood within the Greater Heights area.

A 2,748 sf building sits on the 0.11 acre property.

1COsna9.jpg

Parcel map highlighting the property

icOknQc.jpg

Aerial view of 1115 E 11th St 
(obtained from marketing materials for neighboring property 1111 E 11th St.)

ZNZG35W.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Posted in another topic:  

On 3/11/2023 at 7:07 AM, goofy said:

ECF59110-8B66-42D8-9871-DD83D7A8A78E.png.d600571da083d3a576470a6dca448947.pngFrom the owners of Andy’s Cafe

A few days ago, the family behind Andy's / Andy's Home Cafe at 1115 E 11th St voiced their concerns with Wolf Capital Partners on social media. Wolf Capital Partners purchased the adjacent property at 1111 E 11th St last year.

Since the acquisition, Andy's accuses Wolf Capital Partners of not being good neighbors:

"Almost 50 years ago my  grandparents opened up Andy's Home Cafe in 1977 located in the heights at 1115 E. 11th St. I am the third generation in the family to work here 

Currently we're having to deal with some unfriendly neighbors in which we have never had to deal with neighbors like this.  The first thing they tried, was to come in and measure inside our own property in which they were told by my father that we were not selling.  They cut us from using an alley that we've been able to use for our deliveries, and to get our grease trap cleaned due to "insurance purposes".  We got the city involved, and was told it was city property. They got red tagged.  They came back with paperwork from their surveyor stating that it was on their property line.  And now we are dealing with parking issues in which they have enforced towing, and on the first night they towed a waitresses car at 11:40 at night. Starting today they put up cones to ensure no one parks there.  I understand that are in their right to do as they like, it's just unfortunate. We have always been able to come to a compromise with our neighbors by maintaining the parking lot and even striping it, always keeping a friendly relationship with all of the past property owners.  

This is their tactic to try to hinder our business and bully us to push us out and they can own the whole block.  Corporations/ Developers like this have no respect for the old heights.  No heart for what makes the heights great.

This post is not about my neighbors (tenants)."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Andy's Home Cafe, located at 1115 E 11th St next, is accusing Wolf Capital Partners of not being a good neighbor. The complaint stems from Wolf Capital Partners' acquisition last year of next door property 1111 E 11th St.

Following a Facebook post chronicling issues with Wolf Capital Partners, Chron.com spoke with the Morales, the proprietors of Andy's. The Morales claim denying parking for their customers and employees on Wolf Capital Partners' property is one of several tactics by the developer to force them out of business.

From the article:

"Thomas [Morales] revealed that Wolf had previously offered them around $600,000 to purchase Andy's." 

"For now, Monica says she and her father are consulting with a lawyer to see what their options are."

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/andys-tex-mex-houston-wolf-capital-17858017.php

Since Andy's faces parking scarcity, I wonder if the restaurant has formulated a plan to encourage walking or cycling? I think with their location, it could be to their benefit.

Andy's positioned in a neighborhood where there are lots of residences in close proximity to the restaurant.  It's close enough for people to walk there. The business is also across from a school. Those factors are a big boost to any business, especially a place to eat.

The restaurant could increase traffic without the need for parking by offering after school specials. Kids usually are hungry after school ends. Perhaps adding specials or to-go items that are easy to eat while walking home could bring in new or repeat customers. Maybe investing in building a walk-up counter would help. A walk-up counter would also be useful for neighbors who may want to walk there to order something quick.

I'm not well-versed when it comes to parking requirements and fire codes, but maybe once a month or so, the few parking spaces on their property can be converted into a temporary patio. Andy's could host community events during the day on weekend. It could be another way to encourage neighbors to walk there and dine on the patio. 

Also, implementing something like a discount on certain day for Heights residents or residents in the Norhill neighborhood can be a boost. And a bigger discount for walking or cycling there. Even something like free chips & salsa or something similar for neighbors only.

Some may argue Andy's issue is the food itself. If that's the case, maybe they can revamp some things that aren't working. I don't know.

I think there are ways Andy's could work their recent parking shortage to their advantage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Since Andy's faces parking scarcity, I wonder if the restaurant has formulated a plan to encourage walking or cycling? I think with their location, it could be to their benefit.

Andy's positioned in a neighborhood where there are lots of residences in close proximity to the restaurant.  It's close enough for people to walk there. The business is also across from a school. Those factors are a big boost to any business, especially a place to eat.

The restaurant could increase traffic without the need for parking by offering after school specials. Kids usually are hungry after school ends. Perhaps adding specials or to-go items that are easy to eat while walking home could bring in new or repeat customers. Maybe investing in building a walk-up counter would help. A walk-up counter would also be useful for neighbors who may want to walk there to order something quick.

I'm not well-versed when it comes to parking requirements and fire codes, but maybe once a month or so, the few parking spaces on their property can be converted into a temporary patio. Andy's could host community events during the day on weekend. It could be another way to encourage neighbors to walk there and dine on the patio. 

Also, implementing something like a discount on certain day for Heights residents or residents in the Norhill neighborhood can be a boost. And a bigger discount for walking or cycling there. Even something like free chips & salsa or something similar for neighbors only.

Some may argue Andy's issue is the food itself. If that's the case, maybe they can revamp some things that aren't working. I don't know.

I think there are ways Andy's could work their recent parking shortage to their advantage. 

Another interesting concept is that people can park on the residential street a block away and walk to the restaurant.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't think Andy's needs any help.   They have survived for almost 50 years with their 4 parking spots!   Sounds like they are struggling with a new neighbor and just want to make sure the neighborhood is aware.  Such is life.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, s3mh said:

Another interesting concept is that people can park on the residential street a block away and walk to the restaurant.  

17 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I don't think Andy's needs any help.   They have survived for almost 50 years with their 4 parking spots!   Sounds like they are struggling with a new neighbor and just want to make sure the neighborhood is aware.  Such is life.

Andy's parking arrangement with past owners of 1111 E 11th St allowed a certain level of comfort and convenience for the restaurant and its patrons... for years. I think that's what the Morales, especially their customers, can't get past: Why was the use of the lot okay with the previous landowners but not this one?

To be clear, I agree Wolf Capital Partners is within their rights in prohibiting Andy's from using the parking lot at 1111 E 11th St. The parking lot is on Wolf's property, plain and simple. It's their right to forbid anyone from using it, even if it's empty. I don't think that makes Wolf Capital Partners a bad neighbor no more than allowing use makes them a good one.

Now as for claims of Wolf Capital Partners trying to force the Morales out in order to acquire their property, I can't speak to that. We only have the Morales' account, although Wolf declined to speak to Chron.com. It's possible prohibiting parking on Wolf's property could be a tactic to disrupt Andy's business. None of us know for sure. The only thing certain is the parking lot is Wolf's property.

Still, I was pointing out that despite Andy's and its patrons' complaints regarding parking, there are ways the restaurant could adapt and continue to thrive. The parking situation isn't the death knell Andy's and its patrons are making it out to be, in my opinion. The uproar appears to be in part that a perk enjoyed for years with past landowners  - probably with little or no cost to Andy's - is no more. 

Parking scarcity isn't new in the Heights. Heck, it's not new anywhere inside the loop. Lack of parking in the Heights has been ongoing since the late 2000's. And while there have been pushback from neighbors and businesses alike, businesses have made it work for them. Andy's can do the same. 

I think a bigger issue than parking is that Wolf is denying Andy's access to the easement in the rear of the property, which their vendors had been using for deliveries. As has been pointed out, there are other alternatives for parking, but if vendors can't access the rear entrance, the only other option is to use the main entrance in the front, which is certainly suboptimal given the interior configuration of the restaurant.  

There's at least the utility easement, which in most (if not all) of Norhill is the rear three feet of each lot or tract.  Buildings were frequently built more than 3' from the rear line - my own garage, for example.

11 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I think a bigger issue than parking is that Wolf is denying Andy's access to the easement in the rear of the property, which their vendors had been using for deliveries. As has been pointed out, there are other alternatives for parking, but if vendors can't access the rear entrance, the only other option is to use the main entrance in the front, which is certainly suboptimal given the interior configuration of the restaurant.  

You're right, that is also one of Andy's complaints towards Wolf Capital Partners: access to the easement in the rear which is located on Wolf Capital Partner's parcel at 1111 E 11th St.

From the Chron.com article:

"The company also allegedly barred Andy's employees from using an easement behind the building, which means they have to take deliveries and trash through the entrance of the restaurant. Wolf owns the easement and the parking spaces in front of their vacant storefront...However, blocking off access to these resources flies in the face of longstanding traditions."

The Morales had this to say about being banned from accessing the easement:

"'It is their property, but my uncle laid down the cement there because it used to be gravel...We would get our deliveries back there for the 46 years that we've been here. They put a lock on the gate to ensure that we wouldn't use it.'" 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/andys-tex-mex-houston-wolf-capital-17858017.php

12 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I think a bigger issue than parking is that Wolf is denying Andy's access to the easement in the rear of the property, which their vendors had been using for deliveries. 

12 hours ago, Ross said:

What easement behind the building? From the aerials and street views, it doesn't look like there is any room behind the buildings.

6 hours ago, mollusk said:

There's at least the utility easement, which in most (if not all) of Norhill is the rear three feet of each lot or tract.  Buildings were frequently built more than 3' from the rear line - my own garage, for example.

I don't know where to locate the map and surveys showing the utility easement on both properties. If any of you can access it and post here, that would be helpful.

In the meantime, this is included in the special warranty deed for 1111 E 11th St, the parcel Wolf Capital Partners purchased last year:

EXHIBIT "B" to Special Warranty Deed with Vendor's Lien

Permitted Exceptions 

1. The following restrictive covenants of record:

As set forth under Film Code No. 649238, of the Map Records of Harris County, Texas, in Volume 564, Page 5, Volume 636, Page 610, Volume 637, Page 507 and Volume 1758, Page 259, all of the Deed Records of Harris County, Texas and those recorded under Harris County Clerk's File No. H032048 and N620332 But omitting any covenant or restriction based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.

2. The following matters reflected on the recorded map/plat recorded under Film Code No. 649238, of the Map Records of Harris, County, Texas:

(a) A utility easement 3 feet wide along the Northerly property line(s) together with any unobstructed aerial easement;

(b) A building set back line 10 feet wide along the Southerly and Easterly property line(s);

(c) A 15 by 15' visibility triangle located at the Southeasterly corner of the subject property; and

(d) Drainage easement 15 feet in width on each side of the centerline of all gullies, ravines and other natural drainage courses on the herein described property.

3. All easements, including but not limited to easement for access, ingress and egress and easement for installation, maintenance, repair and replacement of Shared Use Facilities, and building set back lines as set forth in instrument filed for record in Volume 564, Page 5, Volume 636, Page 610, Volume 637, Page 507 and Volume 1758, Page 259, all of the Deed Records of Harris County, Texas and those recorded under Harris County Clerk's File No. H032048 and N620332.

• 4 weeks later...

A GoFundMe was recently created in support of Andy's Home Cafe. Andy's is the longtime Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurant at 1115 E 11th St.

Below is the text included on GoFundMe:

Recently the Morales family has had to try & figure out a way to save their lively hood & are faced with a tough decision to put Andy's up on the market.

They are very saddened to make this decision but are running out of options. It’s getting harder & harder to keep their business afloat with all the current changes in the neighborhood.

They have employees who are like family to them and have been working at the restaurant for several years. The decision to sell the place is not set in stone if we can raise the money they need to get out of this unfortunate situation they can continue to keep their business open and continue to feed Houstonians the authentic Tex-Mex food they’ve been serving for 45 years.

We’ve all fell on hard times and any donations will help. If you can’t donate please consider stopping by the restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner,. They could definitely use the support. This is the final push to keep the historic Houston/Heights staple open.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-andys-in-the-heights

A for sale sign is up at Andy's. The Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurant is located at 1115 E 11th St.

Below is more from Chron.com:

The situation has finally taken its toll on the business, said Monica Morales, daughter of owner Thomas Morales who also works at the restaurant. "We're thinking maybe just that the Heights area may not be for us and we're thinking about relocating," she said, adding they are considering moving to the north side of Houston. "It's just been a bad month for restaurants in general, but this definitely didn't help." 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/andys-houston-heights-restaurant-18073119.php

Photo from Chron.com

ulb52Fm.jpg

• Sad 1

We really tried to give Andy's a chance given how close it is to home. We just didn't enjoy the food and the restaurant seemed dirty. I've seen that sentiment reflected by many others so it seems like the problem is difficulty attracting customers rather than just something with parking or easements. Other businesses thrive in our area with similar parking while taking their vendor deliveries through the front doors. Maybe that's a rallying cry their customers can get behind though.

A one time GoFundme wont delay the inevitable unless they get more people showing up. Maybe a fresh start elsewhere will give them the change they need to succeed again.

Edited by HouKev
  • Like 5

Not to pile on, but it is not hard for a good old school Tex-Mex restaurant to thrive in the Heights.  Teo, Chilosos, Puebla's, Hacienda, etc. all do great business serving the same Tex-Mex as Andy's (and probably pay a lot more in rent).  

• Like 7

Tough crowd. The place is exactly what it tries to be, a lower (legacy) priced old school tex mex option in a neighborhood that has gentrified to the max. I personally like it being there as a one of very few standing relics of the actual neighborhood this used to be, and oh my stars I like the food as well.  If we try soooo hard to keep the homes historic why do we throw shade on the businesses that try to keep it old school as well. 

Ps- stop posting aerial drone pics of things being built. Nobody cares. The places will be done when they are done. 

11 hours ago, saveferris said:

Tough crowd. The place is exactly what it tries to be, a lower (legacy) priced old school tex mex option in a neighborhood that has gentrified to the max. I personally like it being there as a one of very few standing relics of the actual neighborhood this used to be, and oh my stars I like the food as well.  If we try soooo hard to keep the homes historic why do we throw shade on the businesses that try to keep it old school as well. 

Ps- stop posting aerial drone pics of things being built. Nobody cares. The places will be done when they are done. 

Most of us appreciate the drone pictures. This is a forum about development and change and we like seeing stuff get made. Most of the drone posts get a ton of upvotes so they are popular. 

You may have a fundamental misunderstanding of who uses this forum and why we enjoy and care about it. 

I am also someone who had a bad experience at Andy’s. I think it probably went downhill and the owners never invested in it. Even the “pregentrified” community deserved a clean place to eat. 

Edited by goofy
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, saveferris said:

Keeping it old school isn't the issue.  In fact, keeping it old school can very much be a big benefit.  Just look at Taqueria Laredo.  If they upgraded everything and had chef driven tacos with tofu or chicken tikka masala, they would be out of business within a few months.  The problem with Andy's is that it isn't nearly as good as Teo, Chilosos, Peubla's etc. (nor is it that cheap) and even though they have a huge advantage owning their premises while everyone else gets beaten up and driven out by skyrocketing rents, they are playing like they are the victim of some greedy developer.  But they have actually just been freeloading off the neighboring property for parking and alley access for a few decades.  And the conniptions about parking aren't really based on any great imposition on their business that is unique to the Heights.  if you go to just about any of the popular restaurants in the Heights (Coltivare, Loro, Hando,  Field and Tides, etc.), you will more than likely on a busy night have to park your car a block or two away and (heaven forbid) walk .12 miles to get to the restaurant.  There is plenty of on street parking behind Andy's.  And that is one of the most old school things about the Heights.  We do not have a bunch of strip malls with giant parking lots.  We have retail nestled right in our neighborhood and people are happy to park a block or two away to get to where they are going for dinner.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 12:49 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A for sale sign is up at Andy's. The Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurant is located at 1115 E 11th St.

Below is more from Chron.com:

The situation has finally taken its toll on the business, said Monica Morales, daughter of owner Thomas Morales who also works at the restaurant. "We're thinking maybe just that the Heights area may not be for us and we're thinking about relocating," she said, adding they are considering moving to the north side of Houston. "It's just been a bad month for restaurants in general, but this definitely didn't help." 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/andys-houston-heights-restaurant-18073119.php

Photo from Chron.com

ulb52Fm.jpg

According to a Crexi listing for 1115 E 11th St, the property is under contract.

1115 E 11th St is owned by the proprietors of Andy's Home Cafe. The property the restaurant is situated was listed for sale earlier this month.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/1115690/texas-1115-e-11th-st-houston-tx-77009

Below is a screenshot of the Crexi listing

O0XUwqU.png

Photo of Andy's Home Cafe from the listing

Xgzimq0.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A plan review was filed today for 1115 E 11th St. According to the permit, it's for a one-stop demo non-load bearing wall, restaurant.

1115 E 11th St was previously home to Andy's Home Cafe. The property was sold over the summer, supposedly. However, I don't see a change in ownership in county records.

QmYnyUc.png

• Like 1

A structural permit was filed yesterday for 1115 E 11th St. According to the permit, it's for a demo interior non-load-bearing non-fire-rated walls, restaurant.

The following comments provide further details regarding the work slated for 1115 E 11th St. Comments are from the project status page.

• Per phone conversation with applicant..., interior demolition is for preparation of a remodel for a new restaurant tenant. No health department review required at this time. A separate permit and plan review is required for the restaurant remodel.

1115 E 11th St was previously home to Andy's Home Cafe.

SftNCUq.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Below is photo of 1115 E 11th St posted in another topic last week.

1115 E 11th St was home to Andy's Home Cafe. Another restaurant is opening here, according to permits purchased last year. 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-the-heights-restaurant-and-bar-scene-more-coming/?do=findComment&comment=696303

On 2/1/2024 at 4:17 PM, hindesky said:

j4puGjw.jpeg

• Like 1